PDA

View Full Version : Salary Cap

HarveyWallbangers
08-25-2006, 07:39 AM
This is what I've been saying teams should do for years. Minnesota has done a good job with this, and they got a jump start on the Packers. Now, both teams should be in prime position every year.

Comfortable under the salary cap
By Pete Dougherty

The Green Bay Packers' salary-cap challenge is to perpetuate this year's largess indefinitely.

They're looking to join teams such as Philadelphia and Minnesota, which have been among the NFL leaders in cap room for the past several offseasons, because they've turned, then kept, the cap cycle in their favor.

That is, they use their enormous cap space to front-load contracts, which means less money is pushed to future caps, which means future caps will have more room, which will allow them to front-load future contracts, and so on.

To that end, the Packers went into the offseason with almost $30 million in cap room. They front-loaded the deals of their three major contracts, yet have about $7.6 million in cap room as of Thursday.

Perhaps the best way they can make use of that room is signing a core player or two to contract extensions this season, even if it means choosing from a pool deeper than just the players in the last year of their contracts.

"You certainly don't like to be up against the (cap) line," General Manager Ted Thompson said. "If you have a little cushion, it gives you some flexibility if you have injuries, which we all do. Certainly, there's possibilities of entering into discussions with people you want to do extensions with."

Their 12-player free-agent class for 2007 has no one who jumps out as an obvious candidate for an extension this offseason. The best player on the list is halfback Ahman Green, but even if he returns to something like his 2004 form in his comeback from quadriceps-tendon surgery, it doesn't mean he's an automatic for a contract extension.

Green is looking for a final, big pay day, and might be open only to a major contract. The Packers, though, would have to think long and hard about how much up-front money they'd be willing to risk on an aging player — Green is 29 — who has plenty of miles on his body at an especially unforgiving position.

If no one from this year's free-agent class ends up a good candidate for an extension, the Packers could turn to players who are under contract for 2007. On that list, linebacker Nick Barnett is an obvious candidate.

In his first three years, Barnett, 25, has shown speed and closing ability while leading the team in tackles, and he's only missed one game.

In the past, the Packers were among teams that avoided extending a player's contract until he's in the last season of his deal. But teams more frequently are extending players earlier to keep their core under long-term contracts, and to save a little money in a business in which signing bonuses go nowhere but up.

One thing the Packers will have to consider is whether Barnett is worth a major investment while they're paying another linebacker, first-round pick A.J. Hawk, premium money .

Thompson could look to extend the contracts of players who will be restricted or exclusive-rights free agents this offseason, though the only candidates on those lists probably wouldn't earn big-money deals.

Center Scott Wells will be a restricted free agent this offseason, and backup halfback Samkon Gado will be an exclusive-rights player for two more years.

The Packers can push any remaining cap room late this season into 2007 by using the increasingly popular dummyincentives. That's where teams tack on incentive bonuses that a player has no chance of earning, but because the bonuses are added during the season, they automatically count against the cap. Then, when the player doesn't attain them, that money is treated as a credit on the next year's cap.

"We've hopefully reached the point where we'll continue to maintain flexibility to achieve our priorities," said team vice president Andrew Brandt, who manages the Packers' salary cap. "We've used a lot of cap this year, yet we've been able to protect the future."

Fritz
08-25-2006, 08:04 AM
Alright, cool. TT's smart about the cap. I'd like to see him make Al Harris a happy man (um, with a contract re-do) and Nick Barnett, too. I like the way TT front-loaded Woodson's contract. Pay him for right now, when you expect production.

Go Ted.

Scott Campbell
08-25-2006, 08:36 AM
I'd love to interview Andy Brandt about the differences between Thompson and Sherman.

Partial
08-25-2006, 08:51 AM
this idea works in theory, but when you're paying someone veteran 2 mil base salary a year after they had a 10 mil bonus it is likely to have some trouble. Once the players massively inflated salary drops down, players are rarely shy to let the media know how much they are underpaid

SkinBasket
08-25-2006, 08:53 AM
this idea works in theory, but when you're paying someone veteran 2 mil base salary a year after they had a 10 mil bonus it is likely to have some trouble. Once the players massively inflated salary drops down, players are rarely shy to let the media know how much they are underpaid

You beat me to the punch on that one partial. Thats the main problem with this kind of approach. The packers know better than anyone how short players' memory become a year or two AFTER that massive signing bonus.

red
08-25-2006, 09:50 AM
Alright, cool. TT's smart about the cap. I'd like to see him make Al Harris a happy man (um, with a contract re-do) and Nick Barnett, too. I like the way TT front-loaded Woodson's contract. Pay him for right now, when you expect production.

Go Ted.

al harris needs to show that he hasn'tlost it, before he gets some more money. and so far in pre season he's been far from that

i would wait on Nick. HE IS NOT A MLB, he's an OLB that was handed the MLB postion and all the tackles that come with it, and he refuses to move. Now for the first time, he has a real MLB pushing him for the spot, a guy that knows how to play the position, read the d, and MAKE PLAYS, not just tackle guys 5 yards down the field. i think we should wait and see how hodge does, he MIGHT prove by the end of the year that he's the better MLB.

then what would you do with barnett? you wouldn't pay him top MLB money if he's not even the best MLB on the team

so i would wait on barnett, and see who ends up being the better MLB at the end of the season. if barnett clearly has the lead at the end of the year, then pay him

Tony Oday
08-25-2006, 10:08 AM

Go Ted.

al harris needs to show that he hasn'tlost it, before he gets some more money. and so far in pre season he's been far from that

i would wait on Nick. HE IS NOT A MLB, he's an OLB that was handed the MLB postion and all the tackles that come with it, and he refuses to move. Now for the first time, he has a real MLB pushing him for the spot, a guy that knows how to play the position, read the d, and MAKE PLAYS, not just tackle guys 5 yards down the field. i think we should wait and see how hodge does, he MIGHT prove by the end of the year that he's the better MLB.

then what would you do with barnett? you wouldn't pay him top MLB money if he's not even the best MLB on the team

so i would wait on barnett, and see who ends up being the better MLB at the end of the season. if barnett clearly has the lead at the end of the year, then pay him

broken record everyone knows that most of his tackles are in the 1-3 yard area. Someone back on JSO did the stats. This is an inane argument that is based on speculation and no facts. Hodge CANT COVER!!! thats a HUGE part of being a MLB. If I was Barnett I wouldnt move either. Would you move positions to make less? DOUBT IT. He is a solid MLB that will get paid and hopefully its here.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-25-2006, 10:09 AM
Does any know how much we will have next year? I know we still can bring some over from this year's money, but just as a rough estimate.

Partial
08-25-2006, 10:13 AM
Does any know how much we will have next year? I know we still can bring some over from this year's money, but just as a rough estimate.

Well, we have 8 free now, and 8 in dead money. We front loaded the hell out of everything, and sometime soon Favre's 10 mil is gonna come off the books. I'd say we'll have atleast 25 mil (not retaining our own players), possibly 30 mil.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-25-2006, 10:17 AM
plus all the 1 year deals that expire, so your right we will probably start with around 25mil.

Partial
08-25-2006, 10:20 AM
plus all the 1 year deals that expire, so your right we will probably start with around 25mil.

If its up to me, since they are going to need a strong defense when Rodgers takes over, they should make a run at Freeney this off-season. He'll probably cost about 10 mil a season, but it would be worth it. No way do the colts get that done this off-season. They would likely have to cut KGB to justify it, but imagine an end combination on passing downs of Hunter and Freeney, with Hawk and Poppinga coming from the outside LB spots. Skeet.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-25-2006, 10:28 AM
I like the freeney idea, but I would still keep KGB. The later you cut KGB the better, because the cap penalty keeps going down with every year he's on the team. Not only that, I would love to see KGB and Freeney line up together on 3rd downs, even if it's only for one year. And if I was TT my first round pick would be a DT. Now, with a beast Defense and an offense line that should be better with time, we can really compete for a super bowl.

Partial
08-25-2006, 10:31 AM
I like the freeney idea, but I would still keep KGB. The later you cut KGB the better, because the cap penalty keeps going down with every year he's on the team. Not only that, I would love to see KGB and Freeney line up together on 3rd downs, even if it's only for one year. And if I was TT my first round pick would be a DT. Now, with a beast Defense and an offense line that should be better with time, we can really compete for a super bowl.

Nah, the DTs are solid. They will go running back or receiver next year in the first round. They need to rebuild that offense. I don't see how they could keep KGB and add Freeney. With the Kampman signing, and Kampman getting 5 mil a year, KGB getting 5 mil a year, and Freeney getting 10-12 mil a year, that is a 5th of the cap in 3 players.

red
08-25-2006, 10:33 AM
KGB was suppose to be cut a year or 2 ago, thats how his contract was set up

and sorry tony, i don't buy for a second that most of barnetts tacles come 1 or 2 yards from the line. i've said it over and over, barnett is nothing special, he's good, but not special. he takes what he's given, he lets the game come to him,he's not a game changer. if you put any competent LB in that postion last year they will also put up huge tackle numbers

and i never said that hodge should be handed the job right now, i said if at the end of the year he proves to be the better LB, then we have a delema

SkinBasket
08-25-2006, 10:43 AM
They would likely have to cut KGB to justify it, but imagine an end combination on passing downs of Hunter and Freeney, with Hawk and Poppinga coming from the outside LB spots. Skeet.

Hey Partial, did Hunter give you a free BJ or something? What is it that's got you so hot and bothered with this guy?

Partial
08-25-2006, 10:48 AM
They would likely have to cut KGB to justify it, but imagine an end combination on passing downs of Hunter and Freeney, with Hawk and Poppinga coming from the outside LB spots. Skeet.

Hey Partial, did Hunter give you a free BJ or something? What is it that's got you so hot and bothered with this guy?

Nothing, but he's fast. I don't think he'll make the roster myself, but I like to play devil's advocate and develop my debating skills. As for the BJ, I gave him a 3 dollar tip. He didn't swallow.

Tony Oday
08-25-2006, 11:28 AM

and sorry tony, i don't buy for a second that most of barnetts tacles come 1 or 2 yards from the line. i've said it over and over, barnett is nothing special, he's good, but not special. he takes what he's given, he lets the game come to him,he's not a game changer. if you put any competent LB in that postion last year they will also put up huge tackle numbers

and i never said that hodge should be handed the job right now, i said if at the end of the year he proves to be the better LB, then we have a delema

See I agree with that. He is a solid MLB. He isnt a ray lewis thats for damn sure! I say get him a nice little contract front load the shit out of it and then next year move him to SLB and move Hodge over if he is ready. Then you have three VERY young guys in a LB corp that could be together for a VERY long time :)

I would LOVE to see KGB and Freeney on the field at the same time. The would Double Freeney and KGB would be singled I would bet both have over 12 sacks in the season. People would be TERRIFIED to step into Green Bay because they would need to carry 5 QBs to get through a game :)

red
08-25-2006, 11:34 AM

See I agree with that. He is a solid MLB. He isnt a ray lewis thats for damn sure! I say get him a nice little contract front load the shit out of it and then next year move him to SLB and move Hodge over if he is ready. Then you have three VERY young guys in a LB corp that could be together for a VERY long time :)

I would LOVE to see KGB and Freeney on the field at the same time. The would Double Freeney and KGB would be singled I would bet both have over 12 sacks in the season. People would be TERRIFIED to step into Green Bay because they would need to carry 5 QBs to get through a game :)

i absolutely agree with you. pay him some nice money, and move him outside. he could be a damn good OLB. of course IF Hodge can take over the Mike

HarveyWallbangers
08-25-2006, 11:53 AM
Anybody worry about how effective Freeney would be not playing on carpet? I'm sure he'd still be good, but $10M/year, disruptive good?

Partial
08-25-2006, 12:29 PM
Anybody worry about how effective Freeney would be not playing on carpet? I'm sure he'd still be good, but $10M/year, disruptive good?

I've turned on the Patler signal. If you gaze into the heavens, there is a massive snoopy spotlight

red
08-25-2006, 12:34 PM
10 million a year is WAY too much for any 1 player right now IMO. if he's making 10 mil a year he better have at least one tackle on every play while somehow sacking the QB on those same plays, while intercepting the ball

Partial
08-25-2006, 12:54 PM
10 million a year is WAY too much for any 1 player right now IMO. if he's making 10 mil a year he better have at least one tackle on every play while somehow sacking the QB on those same plays, while intercepting the ball

Or, he could lead the league in interceptions :wink:

red
08-25-2006, 01:31 PM

bretts getting paid 10 million for this one year, his overall contract was much less then 10 million a year

his contract was backloaded big time, infact about 50 million is in the last 4 years of the deal, and probably won't be seen

but to me, QB's are worth the huge money, they are the field generals, they have the ball in their hands on every play when his team has the ball. his play has more of an effect on the outcome of a game compared to 1 DE or 1 saftey, or cb, or even lb, or rb, or o-linemen

i would hope that backloading like that is something that TT has learned not to do

Partial
08-25-2006, 01:34 PM

bretts getting paid 10 million for this one year, his overall contract was much less then 10 million a year

his contract was backloaded big time, infact about 50 million is in the last 4 years of the deal, and probably won't be seen

but to me, QB's are worth the huge money, they are the field generals, they have the ball in their hands on every play when his team has the ball. his play has more of an effect on the outcome of a game compared to 1 DE or 1 saftey, or cb, or even lb, or rb, or o-linemen

i would hope that backloading like that is something that TT has learned not to do

QBs and DEs

woodbuck27
08-25-2006, 02:04 PM

Go Ted.

I'm thinking Fritz, that TT will take the "let's just wait and see what Al Harris has in the tank" approach.

The matter of extending Nick Barnett is a whole different can of beans in that we drafted him and are expending effort to develop Nick. I'm sure he has a fan base not all are like wist43... or down on Nick. LOL.

No pick on that Wist43 as you have both feet firmly planted in my view. :mrgreen:

Barnett feels he's OUR leader on "D", and that means "put up or I walk". He's not real enamoured about any proposal to move him to the SAM... which means... he may be, as a matter of course... expendable. We have him under contract for two more seasons anyway, so TT holds a solid position in regards to moving with Nick Barnett... as well as Al Harris.

The Linebacker position.

We are set with HAWK and HODGE.These fellas are players. Now we need two of: Poppinga, Roy Manning, Tracy White, Tim Goodwell or Kurt Campbell to step up and play decent in a starter/back-up role this and next season. The Wild Card... is TT's FA, Ben Taylor, presently on the first team at SAM.

GO PACKERS ! HOLD FAITH FOR 2006 !!