PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy PC in GB on the QT

pbmax
09-09-2013, 04:01 PM
1. McCarthy said they used both calls on the D line in nickel (Jet and Scared S***less) so he refused to judge the overall play of the nickel pressure successful or wanting.

2. Lacy was not "detailed" in his play in the first half. Clearly meant to indicate his head was located in his posterior on some plays. McCarthy still seems overall quite positive, said no huddle doesn't make that easier but this would explain the beefy one's absence and Starks re-emergence in the 2nd Quarter. M3 did say he expects Lacy to be a 3 down back.

3. Wished they had not practiced Burnett on Wed and Thurs as it ended up limiting prep time for Doc and McMillan to Friday. Did not say if it was re-injury or simply was not responding.

4. One injury note (missed a portion of this) was a stinger for Nick Perry. Thompson should just trade all his first round picks outside the Top 10.

5. Asked about Jolly M3 said glad to see him in there but then said something about young players not responding well to the environment and that increased his snap count. That would have to be Wilson early having trouble. I don't think I saw Jones at DE in base 3-4 even early.

6. Clay made bad decision for right reasons but did not like his leaving his feet. Got explanation about call and notice that League now says the offsetting penalty should not have been called on Staley. Which is probably correct in hindsight but the only reason its coming up now is to avoid more Packer related Twitter storms about getting jobbed by the refs. Because while Clay was lucky, refs still blew the call they made on the field.

7. Communication was OK in back end though he thought the safeties were a step slow reacting to route concepts in several instances.

8. Not concerned about coverage adjustment to Boldin, two of the bigger plays (TD and 4th down catch for first) he was double covered).

9. Didn't start well on offense (this is where he mentioned Lacy again). But biggest disappointment was last 8 minutes of game.

10. Spotters in booth told McCarthy 4th down play was inches not just a yard from where Gore would be spotted and he thought that 3rd and almost 6 was better. Spotters initially thought he got the first.

11. Not great day for KOR, either blocking or Ross.

12. Thought Bach and Barclay handled the game well.

red
09-09-2013, 04:08 PM
sometimes i would like to go to these press conferences, just so i could walk up to the podium and punch him in his stupid looking fat face

then i would stand over him, bend down, and scream into his face

FIX SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

channtheman
09-09-2013, 04:20 PM
Since when can you not let the refs place the ball and measure to see if it is a 1st down before deciding whether to accept or decline a penalty?

Joemailman
09-09-2013, 04:26 PM
3. Wished they had not practiced Burnett on Wed and Thurs as it ended up limiting prep time for Doc and McMillan to Friday. Did not say if it was re-injury or simply was not responding.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/222903951.html

The hamstring that Burnett injured against Seattle in the preseason flared up before Friday's practice. Asked if he tried to return too soon, Burnett said "No, I did everything that was asked of me." He thought he'd have a chance to go against San Francisco but the soreness didn't go away.

"I tried to play it day by day and it went into Saturday and it had the same feeling that it had on Friday," Burnett said. "Now, we just have to wait and play it day by day and see how it goes."

channtheman
09-09-2013, 04:38 PM
Is Burnett as big an improvement as we all hope he will be?

pbmax
09-09-2013, 05:31 PM
Since when can you not let the refs place the ball and measure to see if it is a 1st down before deciding whether to accept or decline a penalty?

They did, I think McCarthy knew it wasn't a first by the time he was deciding whether or not to accept. But he took the uncertainty to mean it was close.

MJZiggy
09-09-2013, 06:12 PM
They did, I think McCarthy knew it wasn't a first by the time he was deciding whether or not to accept. But he took the uncertainty to mean it was close.

You said in #10 above that he was told it was inches, not two yards. If that were the info I had, I might have made the same call.

mmmdk
09-09-2013, 07:17 PM
Hey don't sweat it, Stubby. You'll get Boldin next time! And AJ and Megatron*2 and Torrey and GJ*2 and Marshall*2 and DeSean and Cruz and Julio and Dez and then off season!

Packers4Glory
09-10-2013, 07:28 AM
why is that dumb fuck Ross still on the team? he's terrible

ThunderDan
09-10-2013, 08:47 AM
Hey don't sweat it, Stubby. You'll get Boldin next time! And AJ and Megatron*2 and Torrey and GJ*2 and Marshall*2 and DeSean and Cruz and Julio and Dez and then off season!

Let's just call the season. No reason to play the games.

Most of the WR don't have a QB that runs the read option like SF does. We didn't pass rush all out to keep Kap contained.

ThunderDan
09-10-2013, 08:48 AM
why is that dumb fuck Ross still on the team? he's terrible

My thoughts exactly. Dump him and try to find a new S somewhere/anywhere.

Pugger
09-10-2013, 09:28 AM
Let's just call the season. No reason to play the games.

Most of the WR don't have a QB that runs the read option like SF does. We didn't pass rush all out to keep Kap contained.

No shit. If you read this forum this team is worse than Jacksonville and Oakland.

We lost by 6 points to the best team in the league in their house with PS safeties trying to contain Boldin and Davis with no pass rush because we decided to keep Kap and Gore from running wild. Had Lacy not fumbled and we scored there instead I submit the outcome of that game may very well have been different. Come on, people. Let's move on.

Pugger
09-10-2013, 09:30 AM
My thoughts exactly. Dump him and try to find a new S somewhere/anywhere.

Unfortunately I don't know who out there presently is better than the ones we are stuck with right now. :huh: Everyone wants TT to trade for Boyd but isn't he hurt right now? You can't trade an injured player from what I understand.

Packers4Glory
09-10-2013, 09:42 AM
BANJO!!!!

Tony Oday
09-10-2013, 10:34 AM
Ross should never touch the ball on Kickoffs again.

Lacy had a mistake, he is a rookie that will happen.

Jolly looked GREAT to me. Loved the D Line play.

Hawk didnt look lost.

Brad Jones is not good...or at least not good in this game.

The CBs did not cover well at all...scary scary scary

AR and the offense had WAY too many 3 and outs.

I didnt hate the way the O line played. First real game all together in this aligment. It will get a lot better as the season goes on.

This is easily a 11-5 to 13-3 team. Super Bowl Homeboy

mraynrand
09-10-2013, 02:25 PM
The nice thing about Green Bay versus SF, is that Last Sunday is probably the best that Boldin will feel all year. By season's end, he might very well be washed out. With a youthful team and a good coaching staff (even spraypainthair), the Packers have more overall upside. And since last year's opener, the Packers have clearly narrowed the talent and competetiveness gap. Last year's opener, they weren't close; in the playoffs, they were a typical not quite there Divisional sacrifice, and on Sunday they were evenly matched, but made more errors. They face again in the playoffs and it will likely be a dead heat. Very exciting.

Fritz
09-10-2013, 02:41 PM
Ah, a breath of optimism. Thank you.

I will add that I was pleased with MM's decision to go back to the running game in the 4th quarter. Many of us have excorciated MM for giving up on the run, but he didn't in that game, even though the run game/Sitton sucked throughout the first half or so.

Bahktieri seemed to hold up pretty well, too.

And I like having the bigger OLB's, too.

Any word on Perry's stinger?

pbmax
09-10-2013, 02:43 PM
Ah, a breath of optimism. Thank you.

I will add that I was pleased with MM's decision to go back to the running game in the 4th quarter. Many of us have excorciated MM for giving up on the run, but he didn't in that game, even though the run game/Sitton sucked throughout the first half or so.

I was stunned and appalled, but it did seem to work somehow. :lol:

Fritz
09-10-2013, 02:59 PM
Hey, I'd be nearly as happy if he'd taken your advice and run the old WCO as his running game.

I'm essentially conservative, so that short-pass stuff works for me.

mraynrand
09-10-2013, 03:07 PM
Stubby didn't seem to have much interest in WCO underneath stuff, but you can't blame him. SF gets plenty of pressure with their line, and their LBs are terrific, so it's hard to get much in that underneath area - and the Packer options for RB dump offs aren't all that great.

pbmax
09-10-2013, 07:18 PM
Stubby didn't seem to have much interest in WCO underneath stuff, but you can't blame him. SF gets plenty of pressure with their line, and their LBs are terrific, so it's hard to get much in that underneath area - and the Packer options for RB dump offs aren't all that great.

They did try a few screens. Poor blocking got two of them misdirected or blocked. The one to Starks was a thing of beauty. If M3 can stand to stay with the running game, he should stay with these until the O tackles get the knack of putting the DE on the deck.