PDA

View Full Version : Strike up the Banjo and bring us Deliverance from Sh!tty safety play

Packers4Glory
09-10-2013, 09:17 AM
Sure he's young and will make some mistakes. But at least he'll make up for some of them by making quick decisions and sitting back and being 3 steps too slow because he's afraid to react. I can live w/ some mistakes of being aggressive...and from what I've seen and heard about the guy he's not afraid. He's hungry. Give him a shot and toss the other turds to the bench when Burnett gets back. Maybe M.D. McMllian would be a good safety but sadly that person does not exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzae_SqbmDE

pbmax
09-10-2013, 09:21 AM
C'mon, Banjo is more likely the backup QB (everyone loves him til he plays) than he is savior.

Packers4Glory
09-10-2013, 09:57 AM
we know what these other 2 bozos are. Lets see what the kid who plays fast and hard can do. Nobody thought Collins deserved to be drafted where he was, and he turned out great. I know its not an apples to apple comparison but the point is you never know until a guy gets an opportunity.

Old School
09-10-2013, 11:15 AM
If our two safeties start out like they played Sunday, McCarthy needs to put Banjo and Hyde back there. At least we'll get 100% effort.

Fritz
09-10-2013, 11:47 AM
If our two safeties start out like they played Sunday, McCarthy needs to put Banjo and Hyde back there. At least we'll get 100% effort.

If I am McCarthy, I do not play banjo.

Even if I'm not McCarthy, I do not play banjo.

However, here are the names of four safeties who were drafted in the sixth round, after Josh Boyd in the fifth but before Palmer in the sixth. Two, I think, played the first week.

Josh Evans, FS, Jax. I think he played last week.

Jamarri Slaughter SS Cleveland. I don't think he played.

Bacarri Rambo, SS. Wash. I think he played last week.

John Boyett. SS. Indy. Don't know if he made their team.

I fault Thompson for drafting Boyd instead of Bacarri Rambo, simply on the basis of the name. How can you not draft a guy named Bacarri Rambo??? And I think he even played last week! I don't know how well, but maybe we'll see come Sunday.

MadScientist
09-10-2013, 12:06 PM
we know what these other 2 bozos are. Lets see what the kid who plays fast and hard can do. Nobody thought Collins deserved to be drafted where he was, and he turned out great. I know its not an apples to apple comparison but the point is you never know until a guy gets an opportunity.

I thought the knock on Banjo was his speed. In preseason his judgment looked good, but will he be able to handle things fast enough in the regular season to make up for his speed?

I fault Thompson for drafting Boyd instead of Bacarri Rambo, simply on the basis of the name. How can you not draft a guy named Bacarri Rambo??? And I think he even played last week! I don't know how well, but maybe we'll see come Sunday.

I remember hearing Rambo's name called a fair amount on Monday, but I don't think he did very well. Here's a quote from the WP blog

Worst Open-Field Tackling: On first glance, using the television broadcast, I’m giving the award to Bacarri Rambo. There was a time Rambo faced Michael Vick in the open field. Vick got past Rambo, and remained in the open field.
We already have two safeties that can miss open field tackles.

Bossman641
09-10-2013, 12:56 PM

However, here are the names of four safeties who were drafted in the sixth round, after Josh Boyd in the fifth but before Palmer in the sixth. Two, I think, played the first week.

Rambo played like absolute shit last night. Not an easy job to do, but he had repeated attempts in space vs McCoy and Vick and was left holding his jock strap.

http://nbcsports700level.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/shady-mccoy-2.gif

run pMc
09-10-2013, 01:05 PM
I heard the word on Bacarri Rambo in the draft was: million dollar talent and fifty cent head. We already have Finley for that. :rs:

Seriously, I heard he did not interview well and there were questions surrounding his personality, maturity, choices, etc. Not saying he's Aaron Hernandez, but if he had his head on straight he had the talent to be drafted higher.
Great name though.

Looked up where the Niners took Eric Reid -- they took him 18th. I was disappointed TT didn't draft a safety, but I think he expected (hoped?) either Jennings and McMillian to ascend, and that Richardson could come back and give them something. Maybe that happens over the course of the season. Maybe Banjo can beat both those guys out and play with Burnett. Who knows...I think Banjo played like 8 snaps in the SF game, I expect that number to increase vs. WAS if things don't improve at safety. He's not ready to start IMO though.

Packers4Glory
09-10-2013, 01:58 PM
I thought the knock on Banjo was his speed. In preseason his judgment looked good, but will he be able to handle things fast enough in the regular season to make up for his speed?

It was his size more than anything.

Banjo makes his mistakes at full throttle.

"He's a guy that if he's not quite sure, he's still going to go full speed. Whereas some guys when they're not sure, they go 70% or 80%. He's going to go full speed regardless. That's a great sign of a good football player. So we'll see. He did some good things the other night. Productive, instinctive, can run. People see his stature and they don't see a big guy but I think he's plenty physical." That would be MD and Jerron 70%

Maybe the most intriguing aspect of Banjo's game is that he hasn't been a renegade safety, either. Perry says Banjo is "probably one of the smartest kids we've had in the room." He's making the right decisions on the back end. This is a stark contrast to the 2 clowns we trotted out there last week.

Gusts or no gusts, Banjo has been making plays on the field.

He doesn't drown himself in Xs and Os. Hesitation that so often seals the fate of players toiling in NFL anonymity is absent from Banjo's game. Coaches say he doesn't overthink.

In years past, undrafted players like Tramon Williams, Sam Shields and Jennings did the same thing.
Maybe Collins isn't a great comp other than they both came from small schools.

We know what these other guys can, and mostly can't do. I don't see him being any worse and he could be quite a bit better now and over the long haul. He's hungry and he plays like he's hungry. I think he'd bring a bit more toughness to the D and better safety play. I just don't see how anyone who watched the SF game can sit there and say Banjo isn't any more ready than the 2 stooges. Both looked clueless and slow.

FREE BANJO!!!!!!!

Fritz
09-10-2013, 02:19 PM
Rambo played like absolute shit last night. Not an easy job to do, but he had repeated attempts in space vs McCoy and Vick and was left holding his jock strap.

http://nbcsports700level.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/shady-mccoy-2.gif

How many times must I lecture you two about facts and specifics, when you undermine the narrative being created? You're getting as bad as Patler.

Once more, in case you haven't been paying attention:

The Packer safeties sucked on Sunday,

therefore, either:

A. Capers coached them badly (The Wistian choice)
B. Banjo must be better because he didn't play and thus did not fuck up. It's the "It can't be any worse" theory (current theory of the thread), or
C. It's Ted's fault for not finding better players (my intellectual contribution)

First reminder: do not acknowledge that the Packers' best safety was hurt for the game.

Second reminder: the player Ted didn't pick is always better than the players we watched bumbling around Sunday. Whether they're better or not, they're better.

So don't be throwing those facts and pictures and all that shit out here. You're muddying the perfectly clear waters here. You're forcing me to confront the complexity of the situation, and that's not nearly as much fun as blithely blundering around making broad-sided accusations and offering thoughtless solutions.

Packers4Glory
09-10-2013, 02:30 PM
That's right we were missing our best safety. Pair him w/ Banjo and I think we have something we can live with this yr and perhaps more years to come. If not, well we then know that TT must find one via the draft or ~gasp~ free agency or trade.

I've seen enough from those other two guys to know that I have zero confidence in either of them for long stretches of play. Like I said, if you could combine them, then that player would be half way decent.

Fritz
09-10-2013, 02:39 PM
But you're assuming that neither Jennings nor McMillan will improve with time, while you seem willing to live with the same type of mistakes they made, as long as it's Banjo making them - because he makes them full speed or something?

Weird. Even weirder than my idea, and that was pretty weird.

Packers4Glory
09-10-2013, 02:43 PM
But you're assuming that neither Jennings nor McMillan will improve with time, while you seem willing to live with the same type of mistakes they made, as long as it's Banjo making them - because he makes them full speed or something?

Weird. Even weirder than my idea, and that was pretty weird.

It's weird to give a guy, who by all accounts, outperformed the other 2 all camp? The only thing he lacked was experience which at this time the coaching staff values over talent. Yes, I'd rather have a guy be aggressive and live w/ some of the inexperienced mistakes as opposed to slow scared guys who have not shown much improvement over last season. That and the fact Banjo seems to pick up on things pretty quickly and maybe in a couple weeks he's rarely making a mistake in his assignments. That would be refreshing and paired w/ Burnett worth a gamble IMO.

It's a good thing Shields got his shot or we might not have won a title.

MadScientist
09-10-2013, 02:44 PM
It was his size more than anything.

Maybe Collins isn't a great comp other than they both came from small schools.

We know what these other guys can, and mostly can't do. I don't see him being any worse and he could be quite a bit better now and over the long haul. He's hungry and he plays like he's hungry. I think he'd bring a bit more toughness to the D and better safety play. I just don't see how anyone who watched the SF game can sit there and say Banjo isn't any more ready than the 2 stooges. Both looked clueless and slow.

FREE BANJO!!!!!!!
Ok, I'm on board with giving Banjo a shot. I checked and his time was 4.50, not elite, but ok if he plays fast in pads. The other guys were playing slow.

How many times must I lecture you two about facts and specifics, when you undermine the narrative being created? You're getting as bad as Patler.

therefore, either:

B. Banjo must be better because he didn't play and thus did not fuck up. It's the "It can't be any worse" theory (current theory of the thread), or
C. It's Ted's fault for not finding better players (my intellectual contribution)
Your post sounded like you were against playing Banjo.

First reminder: do not acknowledge that the Packers' best safety was hurt for the game.

Second reminder: the player Ted didn't pick is always better than the players we watched bumbling around Sunday. Whether they're better or not, they're better.

So don't be throwing those facts and pictures and all that shit out here. You're muddying the perfectly clear waters here. You're forcing me to confront the complexity of the situation, and that's not nearly as much fun as blithely blundering around making broad-sided accusations and offering thoughtless solutions.
Banjo may fall in the 'can't be any worse' category, but Rambo could actually be worse in every way but name.

Fritz
09-10-2013, 02:57 PM
Ok, I'm on board with giving Banjo a shot. I checked and his time was 4.50, not elite, but ok if he plays fast in pads. The other guys were playing slow.

Your post sounded like you were against playing Banjo.

Banjo may fall in the 'can't be any worse' category, but Rambo could actually be worse in every way but name.

Frankly, I am finding it difficult to live in my fantasy world when you guys keep throwing scouting reports and players' times and training camp performances into the mix.

On a serious note, though - I did not know that Banjo outperformed both Jennings and McMillan The Wife in camp. Where did that come out? I heard good things, but I thought it was just the rumblings about some talent that could eventually be developed - sorta what we heard about McMillan The Wife last year.

But hey, if the coaches really do think Banjo's better and they play him, I'm good with it.

Bossman641
09-10-2013, 03:02 PM

therefore, either:

Sorry sorry. Dom loves slow, small linemen. His goal is to trot out a 0-0-11 formation, even if it's 3rd and 1.

One thing I'll agree with Packers4Glory on is that, if preseason is to be believed, Banjo might make mistakes but at least he'll make them going full speed. Of course, Hyde's performance Sunday showed us all preseason is a long way from the regular season.

Bottom line, Jennings and McMillan were both too tentative. I'm willing to give them a few weeks to see how they grow but so far this offseason they have disappointed (especially McMillan)

HarveyWallbangers
09-10-2013, 05:54 PM
Last year, I thought McMillian had good upside and would easily be our starter this year. Now, I think McMillian is just not very good. Jennings has his moments. Right now, I'm hoping he can get to servicable, but I wouldn't be against giving Banjo or somebody else (Hyde even) a shot.

pbmax
09-10-2013, 07:15 PM
Collins took three years to develop a brain. These two need the same amount of time.

Joemailman
09-10-2013, 07:31 PM
Banjo's stats from his pro day would have put him in top 5 among safeties at the combine. So, athleticism isn't an issue. Besides, as we saw Sunday, response time is what really matters. That, and tackling. I'd get him some playing time if he's ready. But if not, just throwing him in there out of desperation would be a bad move.

KYPack
09-10-2013, 07:48 PM
Collins took three years to develop a brain. These two need the same amount of time.

I was going to post the same thing.

Rookie safeties get ya beat to death.

Nick was a corner in college.

Another brilliant TT draft pick that never gets mentioned now that we need something else.

These kids look OK, but so did Tyrone Culver & other kiddie safeties.

That SF offense is really good, give these two young backliners a chance before you hang 'em both.

Bretsky
09-10-2013, 08:29 PM
I don't know who the hell they are, but I think there is shit veterans not in football right now who could play better than the crap we put out there Sunday. It's part of the reason I wanted Eric Reed and campained for Michael Huff.....who isn't great....but he might be compared to what we saw Sunday. We really need Burnett back. Beyond that hopefully somebody can just be good enough to be sub par instead of crap

Smidgeon
09-11-2013, 11:01 AM
I was going to post the same thing.

Rookie safeties get ya beat to death.

Nick was a corner in college.

Another brilliant TT draft pick that never gets mentioned now that we need something else.

These kids look OK, but so did Tyrone Culver & other kiddie safeties.

That SF offense is really good, give these two young backliners a chance before you hang 'em both.

I'm still hoping McMillian puts it together. Next to Burnett, it might not have been that bad. But with two players who still don't have the playbook committed to instincts (and like PB and KY mentioned, it takes safeties three to four years), it just stood out a lot more.

Simply having Burnett on the field would have won us that game and irrelevated this thread.

RashanGary
09-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Banjo flashed. He has some natural tackling ability i dont think any of our other safeties have. But theres a lot more to being a starting NFL safety than tackling.

I highly doubt he can unseat veteran players right now in his career, but i wouldnt be shocked if turns out to be a player for us. He flashes hotter than all three of the guys we have ahead of him. Burnett, of course, is turning into a well rounded player and i wouldnt compare their overall games, but banjo brings an impact style that inspires hope and intrigue.

RashanGary
09-11-2013, 12:52 PM
Oh, great thread title by the way!

RashanGary
09-11-2013, 12:55 PM
I see harveys thought that maybe hyde could play SS. He seems real natural in space, instinctive and his tackling has been impressive. His skillset seems more ss than cb.

Harlan Huckleby
09-11-2013, 01:38 PM
It is hard to evaluate safeties from the TV broadcast.

Wilde said that Hyde was involved on a lot of the double coverage of Boldin and didn't do so hot. Maybe that was just the plays he noticed, but Wilde at least was at the game and can see the whole field.

Maybe this was just a terrible game. I'm not going to panic yet.

Banjo might be worth a try, but I would be nervous about using him at places like Denver - too susceptible to foggy mountain breakdowns.

Packers4Glory
09-11-2013, 02:12 PM
It is hard to evaluate safeties from the TV broadcast.

Wilde said that Hyde was involved on a lot of the double coverage of Boldin and didn't do so hot. Maybe that was just the plays he noticed, but Wilde at least was at the game and can see the whole field.

Maybe this was just a terrible game. I'm not going to panic yet.

Banjo might be worth a try, but I would be nervous about using him at places like Denver - too susceptible to foggy mountain breakdowns.

Hyde looks more like a safety than a CB. We really missed our nickle guy last week almost as much as decisive safety play.

It was so bad we had Bush in on defense at times....:crazy:

Fritz
09-11-2013, 05:00 PM
Keep Calm and Carry On

Patler
09-11-2013, 05:19 PM
Collins took three years to develop a brain.

...and the ability to catch the ball. He couldn't catch the darn thing to save his life. But when the light went on, it was very, very bright.

Exactly the reason I am anxious for Burnett to get his season going.

Maxie the Taxi
09-11-2013, 05:34 PM
I didn't record the game so I can't go back and check. But my recollection is that Kapernick had all day to find a receiver on too many plays. The Packers seemed to put a huge emphasis on containing the QB and their pass rush suffered. Ain't no safeties in the world can stay with good receivers when the QB has all day to find them, including Burnett. Capers is got to find a happy medium between containment and pressuring the QB. Don't ask me how to do it. All I know is that in this league even Christian Ponder will beat you given a whimpy pass rush. Kapernick was not accurate when he was hurried, which wasn't often enough.

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-11-2013, 06:29 PM
I didn't record the game so I can't go back and check. But my recollection is that Kapernick had all day to find a receiver on too many plays. The Packers seemed to put a huge emphasis on containing the QB and their pass rush suffered. Ain't no safeties in the world can stay with good receivers when the QB has all day to find them, including Burnett. Capers is got to find a happy medium between containment and pressuring the QB. Don't ask me how to do it. All I know is that in this league even Christian Ponder will beat you given a whimpy pass rush. Kapernick was not accurate when he was hurried, which wasn't often enough.

I completely disagree. I thought the game plan was actually very good (and I'm not a big Dom Capers fan). They didn't go all out for Kap so that they could keep him in the pocket and it worked. Sure he had all day to throw, but they played a complete game without any mistakes (no errant throws, fumbles, dropped passes, etc.). That's why they won. We made dumb mistakes all game. You can pull up this thread and quote me in January if we play them again in the playoffs. I'm very confident that we will beat them if we keep the same game plan on defense next time around.

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-11-2013, 06:35 PM
...and the ability to catch the ball. He couldn't catch the darn thing to save his life. But when the light went on, it was very, very bright.

Exactly the reason I am anxious for Burnett to get his season going.

Yeah but from day one Collins had elite athletic ability and was a great tackler. Those two are slow and can't tackle. I'm in favor of trying to sign a vet if one is available. Did Kerry Rhodes ever get signed?

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-11-2013, 06:44 PM
http://nfl.si.com/2013/08/07/nfl-best-remaining-free-agents-brandon-lloyd-kerry-rhodes/

Bigby!

Patler
09-11-2013, 07:57 PM
Yeah but from day one Collins had elite athletic ability and was a great tackler. Those two are slow and can't tackle. I'm in favor of trying to sign a vet if one is available. Did Kerry Rhodes ever get signed?

I agree about the athletic ability, but not that he was a great tackler right from the start. As I recall, he would lower his head and lose track of guys just before the hit. He regularly took bad angles. His tackling improved before his awareness and ball skills.

Harlan Huckleby
09-11-2013, 08:11 PM
Hyde looks more like a safety than a CB. We really missed our nickle guy last week almost as much as decisive safety play.

I agree Hyde looks like a potential safety. My position is more that I don't have a position. I am comfortable lipping-off about the lineman, but it is really hard to see on TV who is responsible for secondary breakdowns. It's even harder to judge the safeties than the corners. So I just assume that the coaches are putting the best players they have out there.

Maxie the Taxi
09-11-2013, 08:11 PM
I completely disagree. I thought the game plan was actually very good (and I'm not a big Dom Capers fan). They didn't go all out for Kap so that they could keep him in the pocket and it worked. Sure he had all day to throw, but they played a complete game without any mistakes (no errant throws, fumbles, dropped passes, etc.). That's why they won. We made dumb mistakes all game. You can pull up this thread and quote me in January if we play them again in the playoffs. I'm very confident that we will beat them if we keep the same game plan on defense next time around.

I sincerely hope you're right. I just saw it differently. Kap did make a few errant throws on the few times he was pressured. But as I see it he made many more accurate throws because he did have all day to throw. In the playoffs they went after Kap and he killed us with his legs. Last Sunday, fearing his legs, we contained Kap and he killed us with his arm.

mraynrand
09-11-2013, 08:32 PM
Packers shut down the run and Kap RO. They sacrificed the secondary to do it. It was a reasonable gamble, but it hurt more because of the replacements. I'm pretty certain if the offense hadn't turned the ball over and had a couple fewer 3 and outs, Packers win.

Joemailman
09-11-2013, 08:53 PM
Kind of amazing the all or nothing performance of the Packers offense. 4 TD drives that covered 287 yards. As for the rest of the day... 108 yards, 6 punts and 2 turnovers.

Maxie the Taxi
09-11-2013, 09:33 PM
Packers shut down the run and Kap RO. They sacrificed the secondary to do it. It was a reasonable gamble, but it hurt more because of the replacements. I'm pretty certain if the offense hadn't turned the ball over and had a couple fewer 3 and outs, Packers win.

I'm inclined to agree with this. I'm just not sure you need to sacrifice the secondary in order to contain Kap. The argument assumes Rodgers and the offense can compensate for failings of Capers and the defense, a defense that gave up 34 points and 412 passing yards. That assumption discounts a mighty good 49er defense. I'm equally certain the Packers win if its defense somehow is able to force a couple more 49er 3 and outs and possibly a 49er TO by putting more pressure on Kap in key situations.

Just don't ask me how the defense might accomplish this. That's Caper's job.

Maxie the Taxi
09-11-2013, 09:34 PM
Double post.

bobblehead
09-11-2013, 09:35 PM

5 three and outs, 2 turnovers. I do not blame the defense for losing this game.

Maxie the Taxi
09-11-2013, 09:41 PM

Blame is hard to assign. Yeah, the offense had its failings. But the defense did give up 502 yards (412 of which were in the air) and 34 points.

mraynrand
09-11-2013, 11:15 PM
It was a team loss. I only pointed out the O shortcomings to illustrate that it wouldn't have taken much to swing the game to a victory.

George Cumby
09-11-2013, 11:23 PM
It was a team loss. I only pointed out the O shortcomings to illustrate that it wouldn't have taken much to swing the game to a victory.

On the road against the "physically superior" "tougher" and " better coached" team.

Perhaps not a moral victory, but when the teams meet in January, the Pack has a very good chance of winning. Short-crotch know it, too. That's why he's making all those noises about the meanie-weenie Packers.

sharpe1027
09-12-2013, 01:58 AM

Somewhere out there, in an opposing team's forum, there is a post about d-linemen that could have been drafted by their team. In it there is a mention of Boyd and a comment that the poster thinks he played last week.

swede
09-12-2013, 07:22 AM
I haven't heard this many calls for "Play Banjo!" since Hee Haw went off the air.

Come to think of it, I've never seen Roy Clark and Mike McCarthy in the same room at the same time.

http://www.jacquedee63.com/royclark2.jpg

Packers4Glory
09-12-2013, 07:41 AM
Chris Banjo on call for Packers at safety

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/223367941.html

In Green Bay's loss Sunday, San Francisco's Colin Kaepernick victimized both Jennings and McMillian. Among the miscues, Jennings took a poor angle on Vernon Davis' 20-yard reception and McMillian missed too many tackles. The second-year safety from Maine swung and missed on Anquan Boldin's 10-yard touchdown and the receiver's crucial 43-yarder late.

3irty1
09-12-2013, 08:44 AM

I'm with you. It doesn't make sense to blame the defense for giving up too many yards and points given the offenses contributions to the time of possession.

denverYooper
09-12-2013, 09:19 AM
Kind of amazing the all or nothing performance of the Packers offense. 4 TD drives that covered 287 yards. As for the rest of the day... 108 yards, 6 punts and 2 turnovers.

Their TD drives lasted 1:47, 1:16, 2:48, and 2:30.

Talk about a conditioning game for the D. Whew.

Fritz
09-12-2013, 02:32 PM
Let's just fire someone so we can sleep easy, knowing there's an official culprit.

mraynrand
09-12-2013, 02:43 PM
Let's just fire someone so we can sleep easy, knowing there's an official culprit.

I bet you're a lot of fun on a cruise

http://lastnightoner.typepad.com/.a/6a00e54ef17d8188340148c855359e970c-800wi

pbmax
09-12-2013, 07:33 PM
[QUOTE=swede;739381]I haven't heard this many calls for "Play Banjo!" since Hee Haw went off the air.

Come to think of it, I've never seen Roy Clark and Mike McCarthy in the same room at the same time.

There is only one possible response to this week's injury report.

http://vimeo.com/12555651

Bretsky
09-14-2013, 09:06 PM
As I was watching I really never got the feeling that GB was taking over the game and would win. It just seemed like SF could sustain a long drive when they had to and GB could not

Trenches

HarveyWallbangers
09-15-2013, 01:55 AM
As I was watching I really never got the feeling that GB was taking over the game and would win. It just seemed like SF could sustain a long drive when they had to and GB could not

Trenches

Trenches? Not sure what it means, but I think the Green Bay defense held their own in the trenches.

Harlan Huckleby
09-15-2013, 09:47 PM
Banjo played a lot against Washington. Is he a new starter?