PDA

View Full Version : The Official Gameweek Discussion thread: 2013 Week 2: Packers v Redskins

MadScientist
09-11-2013, 11:05 AM
Both teams are 0-1 and looking for redemption for those losses.

Washington had a lot of turnovers early and dug themselves a huge hole against the Eagles. I don't expect that this week, but if the Packers don't get any TO's then there is a problem with that defense.

RGIII looks more like Lynn Dickey than Kapernick, in other words good but not all that mobile and goes down pretty easily. It did not look like he handled pressure all that well, but will the Packers safeties hold up in blitz packages?

Washington's defense did OK in preventing scores despite all those turnovers. They looked good bringing pressure, but had some problems with safety play and open field tackles (hmmm that sounds familiar).

Washington did do a good job coming back after getting way behind early. If the Packers get a lead, they better not take their foot off the gas.

Prediction: Thanks to RGIII not being a threat to run, the Packers should win if they avoid playing stupid.

RashanGary
09-11-2013, 11:18 AM
We should have this one. If hayward and burnett are back, we should be able to better execute a similar gameplan to last week. Matthews played one of the best games ive seen from a Packer defender, ever, last week. He made staley look bad. The packers played one of the best, if not the single best defense in football. If Sitton cleans up his holding, lacy has an alright day.

RGIII coming off that injury, we still have to play the run aggressively most of the game, but i think capers can afford to play a little bit more man defense than he did against CK. This game could be close, but i predict we get ahead early and stomp Washington out. Nobody was the bully in th SF game. This week i expect us to bully Washington around for four quarters.

Guiness
09-11-2013, 11:26 AM
The Redskins will be a tougher opponent than they looked like last week. They had a good second half after RG3 shook off some of the rust. Not playing in the pre-season hurt him and he came out slowly but got better as the game went on.

Having said that, I think the Pack wins by a TD.

RashanGary
09-11-2013, 11:35 AM
Aaron Rodgers, i think he's pissed off. He's clearly put in all of the work to be at the top of his game. Mentally/emotionally, he looked sure of himself. In ARs game, i have one minor quibble over the last three years, and that is his pace. He seems let defenses breath too much. Last week, on the road, his pace was outstanding. His reactions in the pocket, the coolness he displayed on the move, the picture perfect footwork on seemingly every throw; his composure was a thing of football beauty. Hes kind of doing everything he's always done, but he's doing it faster and he's fresh, healthy, strong. He's playing QB at the absolute highest level.

SF slowed us down, and thats a credit to the dominance of that defensive squad. Jordy, Cobb, Jones, Finley, Lacy, decent OL play against a dominant front. If Aaron keeps that relentless pace, stays healthy and strong, I dont know how most teams are going to even slow him down.

I predict we light these mother fuckers up. Literally, a 45-10 will-imposed drumming seems as likely to me as any sort of loss. And Washington is an alright team. I just think AR showed the type of skill, pace and composure that makes his MVP season look like a day in class.

RashanGary
09-11-2013, 11:52 AM
Clay Matthews was a god of the arena sunday. He made Joe Staley look like Allen Barbre. He played with the physical dominance and murderous rage that we've really only seen in that early stretch of the 2010 season when he was injuring a QB seemingly every other week. As long as clay is healthy, and right now he is, he's going to hurt quarterbacks in ways that make their wives cringe and mothers cry.

Right now we have the best quarterback and the most dominant, ruthless quarteback killer in football. Washington has a 23 year old scrambling quarterback with a bad wheel. They are fucked.

Freak Out
09-11-2013, 01:20 PM
Aaron Rodgers, i think he's pissed off. He's clearly put in all of the work to be at the top of his game. Mentally/emotionally, he looked sure of himself. In ARs game, i have one minor quibble over the last three years, and that is his pace. He seems let defenses breath too much. Last week, on the road, his pace was outstanding. His reactions in the pocket, the coolness he displayed on the move, the picture perfect footwork on seemingly every throw; his composure was a thing of football beauty. Hes kind of doing everything he's always done, but he's doing it faster and he's fresh, healthy, strong. He's playing QB at the absolute highest level.

SF slowed us down, and thats a credit to the dominance of that defensive squad. Jordy, Cobb, Jones, Finley, Lacy, decent OL play against a dominant front. If Aaron keeps that relentless pace, stays healthy and strong, I dont know how most teams are going to even slow him down.

I predict we light these mother fuckers up. Literally, a 45-10 will-imposed drumming seems as likely to me as any sort of loss. And Washington is an alright team. I just think AR showed the type of skill, pace and composure that makes his MVP season look like a day in class.

Fuck yes JH. I would love to see a Green and Gold hammering of the Skins. Even if it costs me a FF game (Starting RG3). :)

Freak Out
09-11-2013, 01:21 PM
Clay Matthews was a god of the arena sunday. He made Joe Staley look like Allen Barbre. He played with the physical dominance and murderous rage that we've really only seen in that early stretch of the 2010 season when he was injuring a QB seemingly every other week. As long as clay is healthy, and right now he is, he's going to hurt quarterbacks in ways that make their wives cringe and mothers cry.

Right now we have the best quarterback and the most dominant, ruthless quarteback killer in football. Washington has a 23 year old scrambling quarterback with a bad wheel. They are fucked.

LOL. You have a three martini lunch today? Awesome.

MadScientist
09-11-2013, 01:28 PM
Burnett back, but it at best is a deal where they will see if the hammy recovers well after a practice. Finley and Sitton were out. That could be a big problem if it is anything that will keep them out of the game.

Guiness
09-11-2013, 01:45 PM
Burnett back, but it at best is a deal where they will see if the hammy recovers well after a practice. Finley and Sitton were out. That could be a big problem if it is anything that will keep them out of the game.

Finley I'm not overly concerned about, I think Quarless will be just fine.

Backup LG though? Taylor or Van Roten? Uh oh. Everyone here was pissed with Sitton's play last week, wait until we see one of them out there.

pittstang5
09-11-2013, 02:26 PM

Sitton - Back (sounds like he had issues on plane to SF and played through it)
Finley - Toe (Cut it off, you're in a contract year!)

Tony Oday
09-11-2013, 02:39 PM
49-7 Pack...junk TD Kick return is our only allowed score.

Upnorth
09-11-2013, 02:45 PM
2 Comments,

1) JH for offical game day thread
2) Washington has a good d, a good oline, a good rb and a good coach. While I still think we win it will not be easy.

QBME
09-11-2013, 04:03 PM
FWIW Vegas opening lines have the Pack favored between 7.5 & 9 points.

WAS
GBP -9 -7 -8 -7.5 -7.5
O/U: 49.5 49.5 49.5 49.5 49.5

Joemailman
09-11-2013, 04:08 PM
Finley I'm not overly concerned about, I think Quarless will be just fine.

Backup LG though? Taylor or Van Roten? Uh oh. Everyone here was pissed with Sitton's play last week, wait until we see one of them out there.

MM said Newhouse would be next up if Sitton can't go. MM said Finley has a toe injury and probably won't practice Thursday.

run pMc
09-11-2013, 04:17 PM
If hayward and burnett are back, we should be able to better execute a similar gameplan to last week.

Hayward is out a month with the hammy; Burnett was back practicing but limited today, so we'll have to see how he does. Even if he plays, I don't think you can count on him playing the full game with a testy hamstring. McMillian and Jennings should benefit from getting more snaps and expectations to start. They know they need to play better.

Packers at home gives them some advantage, WAS is going to be a tough out but I think RG3's knee recovery will limit his mobility. I get the sense he rushed back and I'm not convinced he's all the way healed. If GB shows up mad and desperate after the SF game and doesn't turn the ball over this game is theirs. Being 0-2 is a bad way to start.

MadScientist
09-11-2013, 04:40 PM
2) Washington has a good d, a good oline, a good rb and a good coach. While I still think we win it will not be easy.
Washington's D is weak in the secondary - the safeties are no better and may even be worse than what GB trotted out on Sunday. The corners are long in the tooth. They did well blitzing against Vick. Let 'em try that against Rodgers. It was hard to evaluate the offense as they were in a hole most of the game, other than RGIII being less dynamic.

Patler
09-11-2013, 04:44 PM
Hayward is out a month with the hammy; Burnett was back practicing but limited today, so we'll have to see how he does. Even if he plays, I don't think you can count on him playing the full game with a testy hamstring. McMillian and Jennings should benefit from getting more snaps and expectations to start. They know they need to play better.

Packers at home gives them some advantage, WAS is going to be a tough out but I think RG3's knee recovery will limit his mobility. I get the sense he rushed back and I'm not convinced he's all the way healed. If GB shows up mad and desperate after the SF game and doesn't turn the ball over this game is theirs. Being 0-2 is a bad way to start.

Burnett practiced last week too, and then the hamstring acted up on him Friday or Saturday. Two things from that:

1. Limited practicing today probably doesn't mean a lot.

2. One article on Monday said one of the problems against SF was that they went through the week expecting Burnett to play, and weren't the best prepared to be without him. They won't make that mistake this week. (I won't even get into the stupidity of not being prepared to play without him, if that was actually the case.)

Fritz
09-11-2013, 04:51 PM

Decisions like the ones coaches face with Burnett are why they make big money.

On the one hand, he was clearly, obviously missed. He may now be the third most important guy on the team - I'd say Rodgers, Matthews, and Lacey have been my first three can't-afford-to-lose-them guys.

It was nearly a tire fire back there. The only thing missing were the heated arguments after a TD. It was your guy! No, it was your guy!

So Burnett is sorely missed and the team does not want to start 0-2. On the other hand, if you throw Burnett out there and he reinjures the hammy, you face the possibility of him missing God knows how many games. So do you take a chance and sit him again, hoping he'll be fully healed, then? Do you risk playing him or risk not playing him?

By the way, we Packerrats shit on a lot of Packers because of the loss - everyone from MM to TT to Sitton to McMillan The Wife to Finley to Lacey to Slocum. I was amongst the leading shitters.

But since many of us like to criticize Dom Capers or MM when the team loses, or Slocum when Jeremy Ross sucks, or Bush sucks, or Campen when any offensive lineman sucks, then why did none of us take a shot at Darren Perry, who, I think, coaches the safeties?

We're getting soft n' slow here at Packerrats. Come on.

Fire Darren Perry! And maybe Joe Whitt to, just to be sure!

CaptainKickass
09-11-2013, 05:09 PM
Fire Darren Perry!

NEVER TRUST A MAN WITH 2 FIRST NAMES!!!!

:five:

mraynrand
09-11-2013, 06:28 PM
Decisions like the ones coaches face with Burnett are why they make big money.

On the one hand, he was clearly, obviously missed. He may now be the third most important guy on the team - I'd say Rodgers, Matthews, and Lacey have been my first three can't-afford-to-lose-them guys.

It was nearly a tire fire back there. The only thing missing were the heated arguments after a TD. It was your guy! No, it was your guy!

So Burnett is sorely missed and the team does not want to start 0-2. On the other hand, if you throw Burnett out there and he reinjures the hammy, you face the possibility of him missing God knows how many games. So do you take a chance and sit him again, hoping he'll be fully healed, then? Do you risk playing him or risk not playing him?

By the way, we Packerrats shit on a lot of Packers because of the loss - everyone from MM to TT to Sitton to McMillan The Wife to Finley to Lacey to Slocum. I was amongst the leading shitters.

But since many of us like to criticize Dom Capers or MM when the team loses, or Slocum when Jeremy Ross sucks, or Bush sucks, or Campen when any offensive lineman sucks, then why did none of us take a shot at Darren Perry, who, I think, coaches the safeties?

We're getting soft n' slow here at Packerrats. Come on.

Fire Darren Perry! And maybe Joe Whitt to, just to be sure!

I'm impressed that you are an equal opportunity axe wielder.

hoosier
09-11-2013, 06:50 PM
2 Comments,

1) JH for offical game day thread

Average OL, mixed D (great pressure from the edges, so so defensive line, crappy secondary), had two rookies on offense with magical seasons last year. RGIII won't be his normal self this year, which is going to limit the ways he can hurt a defense. I predict Washington has a big fall-off this year into the 6-10 neighborhood.

Fritz
09-12-2013, 02:23 PM
Average OL, mixed D (great pressure from the edges, so so defensive line, crappy secondary), had two rookies on offense with magical seasons last year. RGIII won't be his normal self this year, which is going to limit the ways he can hurt a defense. I predict Washington has a big fall-off this year into the 6-10 neighborhood.

Good news per the JSO: Finley and Sitton returned to practice, and Burnett was in pads practicing too.

Okay, cue tomorrow's McCarthy presser:

MM: looks like Morgan Burnett's hamstring tightened up when he came in today. Not sure he'll be a go Sunday. Prepared to go forward with last week's starters.

Sitton? Back tightened up last night. Probably unavailable Sunday. Injuries part of the game.

Finley will be a game-time decision.

HarveyWallbangers
09-12-2013, 03:07 PM
Washington had a lot of turnovers early and dug themselves a huge hole against the Eagles. I don't expect that this week, but if the Packers don't get any TO's then there is a problem with that defense.

That's what worries me about this game. Those turnovers were HIGHLY unusual for Washington. Last year, Washington had only 8 interceptions--tied with Green Bay for the fewest. Combined with 5 fumbles lost, they only had 13 turnovers last year. RGIII protects the ball (and I think he shook off some rust last week), so it's very likely that they'll do a much better job this week.

hoosier
09-12-2013, 03:37 PM
I am not worried about this game in the least. If the Packers lose that will say a lot more about Green Bay than about Washington. For that reason, this game comes at a good time: right after a loss that probably says more about the opponent than it does about the Pack.

Good news per the JSO: Finley and Sitton returned to practice, and Burnett was in pads practicing too.

MM: looks like Morgan Burnett's hamstring tightened up when he came in today. Not sure he'll be a go Sunday. Prepared to go forward with last week's starters.

Sitton? Back tightened up last night. Probably unavailable Sunday. Injuries part of the game.

Finley will be a game-time decision.

You forgot to include the inevitable surprise last-minute injuries (Jolly? Lacy?) and the delayed recurring injuries (Cobb? Jones?).

MadScientist
09-12-2013, 04:21 PM

You've listened to MM too much - from today's presser:

How’s Perry’s neck stinger?

“Flared up after yesterday’s practice, we’ll see how he is. That’s part of football.”

Peri wasn't listed as limited or DNP, but that could have been an oversight by the press.

You forgot to include the inevitable surprise last-minute injuries (Jolly? Lacy?) and the delayed recurring injuries (Cobb? Jones?).
Does Bush hurting his hammy count?

WTF will all the hamstring injuries anyway. Something seems wrong with their stretching or conditioning program.

King Friday
09-12-2013, 06:08 PM
Packers > Washington

There is no reason why we should lose this game. The opponents have a short week, and looked befuddled by an up-tempo offense. Once you get a first down, you go into no huddle and pound that defense to death.

RGIII may not turn the ball over, but he's not the same guy he was last year right now. He's uncomfortable wearing a brace and hasn't had enough time to get in a groove offensively.

HarveyWallbangers
09-12-2013, 07:24 PM
I agree we should win this game, but teams lose games they are supposed to win all the time. I'd rather go into the game humble and not assuming a victory. Washington was a good team last year. We have to have respect for them or we will lose. RGIII is capable of pulling off an upset.

hoosier
09-12-2013, 07:46 PM
The Packers need to respect Washington, but the nice thing about being a fan is that you can tell it like it is and it won't affect the outcome of the game.

What's with the hammies: my theory is that hamstrings and oblique muscles are birds of a feather. As those muscle groups become larger and larger, strains and pulls become more and more common. Back in the days of hormone-free football this kind of thing was not the epidemic problem it is today. In that sense, maybe McCarthy is right about this being more than a Packer problem.

Guiness
09-13-2013, 07:29 AM
The Packers need to respect Washington, but the nice thing about being a fan is that you can tell it like it is and it won't affect the outcome of the game.

What's with the hammies: my theory is that hamstrings and oblique muscles are birds of a feather. As those muscle groups become larger and larger, strains and pulls become more and more common. Back in the days of hormone-free football this kind of thing was not the epidemic problem it is today. In that sense, maybe McCarthy is right about this being more than a Packer problem.

Add this to your theory
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/13/fitzgerald-limited-with-hamstring-but-insists-hes-fine/

pbmax
09-13-2013, 10:57 AM
How To Stop The Read Option: Eight Man Front, Cover 3 Backend

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/paisans_2006/Niners2013Opener.png

mmmdk
09-13-2013, 01:03 PM
Dare RGIII to run...just a wee bit!

mraynrand
09-13-2013, 01:39 PM
How To Stop The Read Option: Eight Man Front, Cover 3 Backend

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/paisans_2006/Niners2013Opener.png

Yeah, you have to stop something and take your chances. It was clearly a long thought out game plan and it got undercut by losing Burnett (at least, we're assuming - if Burnett regresses this year, meh). Still it woulda worked better with a little more help from the O in ToP/turnovers.

Fritz
09-13-2013, 02:55 PM
You've listened to MM too much - from today's presser:

Peri wasn't listed as limited or DNP, but that could have been an oversight by the press.

Does Bush hurting his hammy count?

WTF will all the hamstring injuries anyway. Something seems wrong with their stretching or conditioning program.

Sitton, Burnett, Jarrett Bush all questionable for Sunday. Finley and Perry probable.

My guess is none of the questionable s play.

Brace yourself for more brutal safety and offensive line play.

Guiness
09-13-2013, 03:50 PM
Sitton, Burnett, Jarrett Bush all questionable for Sunday. Finley and Perry probable.

So it's not 100% Perry will be there? Is our 'Fire Darren Perry' thread gathering steam and TT is considering it?

Wow, not looking good for the 2012 draft class. Three top picks may not be playing. Worthy and Hayward definitely not, Perry listed as either probable or questionable.

Fritz
09-13-2013, 04:32 PM
So it's not 100% Perry will be there? Is our 'Fire Darren Perry' thread gathering steam and TT is considering it?

Wow, not looking good for the 2012 draft class. Three top picks may not be playing. Worthy and Hayward definitely not, Perry listed as either probable or questionable.

No, I think it means Darren Perry is doubtful about how the safeties will play Sunday.

Upnorth
09-13-2013, 05:22 PM

Their secodary is a week spot, however they have a good pass rush which should be better with the return of (cant remember highly touted 2nd year players name, O something or other). Any oline that can get morris running like that and protect a mobile qb (while in the pocket) is good. I still think we win.

RE Guiness and Fritz, clever.

pbmax
09-13-2013, 06:00 PM
Their secodary is a week spot, however they have a good pass rush which should be better with the return of (cant remember highly touted 2nd year players name, O something or other). Any oline that can get morris running like that and protect a mobile qb (while in the pocket) is good. I still think we win.

RE Guiness and Fritz, clever.

Orapko and Kerrigan.

Maxie the Taxi
09-13-2013, 09:30 PM
I didn't know this and it could be a big deal. Redskins' placekicker Kai Forbath is Questionable for Sunday's game. The Skins are reportedly trying out replacement kickers. Source: http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football-player-news?r=1

Rastak
09-13-2013, 10:21 PM
That's what worries me about this game. Those turnovers were HIGHLY unusual for Washington. Last year, Washington had only 8 interceptions--tied with Green Bay for the fewest. Combined with 5 fumbles lost, they only had 13 turnovers last year. RGIII protects the ball (and I think he shook off some rust last week), so it's very likely that they'll do a much better job this week.

RG3 looked pretty poor in my opinion. I know it's apples/oranges but it took Peterson 4 weeks to get back to normal, then he went nuts. Griffin wasn't planting when he threw which I thought was the biggest thing. The run threat is probably gone for a couple more weeks and he better stand in there and plant and throw or you guys will eat that team alive.

Pugger
09-14-2013, 08:53 AM

Brace yourself for 0-2. :-(

Pugger
09-14-2013, 08:55 AM

It's TT's fault these guys are hurt?

packer4life
09-14-2013, 11:06 AM
Assuming Sitton plays (I think he does), we will be fine. Our pass protection against a better front 7 was ace last week. Orakpo and Kerrigan may notch a few sacks, but there should be ample holes in coverage, as their secondary is just as bad as ours if not worse.

I predict Sitton and Burnett both play. This will be a high scoring affair, but I don't think they have the goods to stop our offense, esp given that Lacy will be able to move the chains a bit better. Packers 34, Skins 24.

Harlan Huckleby
09-14-2013, 12:49 PM
I hope Sitton sits if he is not 100%. It's a long season.

Slide Barclay to guard and wake-up Newhouse. I'll take a healthy Newhouse over Sitton with a tricky back.

Maybe Sitton can suit-up and shoot-up as an emergency backup.

Fritz
09-14-2013, 02:22 PM
I hear the 'Skins were trying out kickers. Wouldn't it suck if they signed Tavecchio and he hit a game-winning kick just after Crosby missed one?

Maxie the Taxi
09-14-2013, 02:23 PM
I hear the 'Skins were trying out kickers. Wouldn't it suck if they signed Tavecchio and he hit a game-winning kick just after Crosby missed one?

Whistle!!!! That is just plain evil!

Fritz
09-14-2013, 02:40 PM
Whistle!!!! That is just plain evil!

It actually wards off bad juju.

packer4life
09-14-2013, 05:07 PM
They signed some nobody named john potter that hasn't kicked a FG since 2011 during his college days. In college, he never hit a 50+ yarder. Advantage Packers if Kai can't kick.