PDA

View Full Version : Defensive line

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-25-2006, 10:01 AM
By BOB McGINN
bmcginn@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Aug. 24, 2006
Green Bay - Coach Mike McCarthy doesn't want his defenses in Green Bay doing a ton of blitzing and is optimistic he won't be forced to do that this year.

The Packers ranked an impressive eighth among National Football League teams in sack percentage last season. They had 35 sacks, including eight by Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila as he led the club for the fifth straight season.

In reality, the Packers' pass rush was nothing more than average. They totaled just 38 knockdowns and 40 hurries, a significant downturn from 51 knockdowns and 72 hurries in 2004.

With the personnel essentially the same, the overriding question is whether the Packers can generate sufficient pressure from their front four so new defensive coordinator Bob Sanders won't be forced into wholesale blitzing.

"I would say every indication would be 'yes' right now," McCarthy said. "That's the one group that has a lot of depth. Now will you get enough pass rush from them? It's 'yes' because we're going to be rolling guys. It isn't like one guy is going to play 70 plays in a game."

For most of 2005, coordinator Jim Bates preferred to line up on passing downs with Aaron Kampman and "KGB" at the ends and with Cullen Jenkins and Kenny Peterson at the tackles.

Based on pressures per snap, Kampman ranked as the line's No. 1 pass rusher with one every 29.9 snaps. He was followed by "KGB" (one every 36), Peterson (one every 36.3) and Jenkins (one every 43.3).

Unless undrafted rookie end Jason Hunter makes the final roster, the Packers don't figure to have another up-field rusher to pair with Gbaja-Biamila. End Mike Montgomery is playing 10 pounds lighter this season at 265 but isn't an edge player.

Linebacker Brady Poppinga did that in college but doesn't figure in that role this season.

Peterson was having a decent camp, according to defensive ends coach Carl Hairston, before he suffered an ankle injury Aug. 10. He has yet to return and appears to be in some danger of being released.

Jenkins is the quickest of the six defensive tackles and, as a result, should garner one of what is expected to be five jobs.

Other than Jenkins, who among the defensive tackles has the talent to play inside in the dime defense?

"Ryan Pickett," McCarthy replied. "I (coached) against Ryan the last four or five years. He's got natural pass-rush skill. Absolutely. And (Johnny) Jolly's got to get going, too."

Pickett had just five sacks in five seasons for St. Louis. He still appears to be five to 10 pounds overweight at about 335. His conditioning needs improvement.

However, both McCarthy and Robert Nunn, who coaches the defensive tackles, said Pickett had developed as the Packers' best all-around defensive tackle.

"He's been solid," Nunn said. "Ryan does a good job of transitioning from the edge and turning it into power and walking people back."

Nevertheless, Pickett admitted that he hadn't played back to his 2005 form, when he enjoyed his finest season for the Rams. He has been asked to read and react more while penetrating less.

"I don't feel like I've been playing near as well as I'm capable of playing," he said. "I'm still trying to get comfortable in this system. It's doable, but it was a big change."

Pickett, who prefers playing the left side, is set as one starter but the other tackle hasn't been determined. The Packers don't want to start Jenkins, who lacks muscle against the run, or Jolly, who makes rookie mistakes. But Corey Williams, Colin Cole and Kenderick Allen all could wind up with the job.

According to Nunn, Williams has been the most consistent power pass rusher in four weeks of camp. He increased his strength in the off-season, added about eight pounds (to 318) and tried to stay squarer taking on blocks.

"Corey played a little light, I guess, inside," Nunn said. "That's the thing we tried to work on in the off-season, and he's done a great job. Corey has made definite improvement. He's playing stronger and heavier inside. He's in good position right now."

Cole was more productive last season than Williams, ranking No. 2 among linemen in tackles per snap and No. 5 in pressures per snap compared with No. 4 and No. 6 rankings for Williams. Nunn says Pickett has been the most effective point-of-attack run stuffer at tackle but Cole probably would rank second.

The wild card is Allen, the massive newcomer who entered camp as a starter. After an average first two weeks, he suffered an abdominal pull early in the San Diego game and didn't return to practice until Monday. He still isn't 100% but hopes to play extensively Monday night in Cincinnati.

Allen, who has trimmed his weight to 316, says he's pleased with his performance and doesn't even think about the possibility of getting cut.

"Kenderick's in good condition," Hairston said. "He's a tough guy. But it's hard to make an assessment until he gets in a game."

Under Bates, the Packers played conservatively through the first eight games, rushing five or more on just 25.9% of passes. After that, he blitzed on 36.4% of passes as the Packers finished with a blitz rate of 30.9%. They blitzed 29.4% of the time both in 2003 and '04.

"You have to attack the protection schemes and take advantage of matchups," McCarthy said. "That's my general philosophy. Now is that 25%? Is that 35%? It depends on the flow of your season.

"I don't think being an all-out pressure team is the way to go. You do too much of anything and you're going to get burned in this league."

If a four-lineman rush proves ineffective on passing downs, Sanders will have a variation of a 3-2 defense available. Last year, Poppinga had some success as a rush linebacker in the 3-2. Now it appears as if A.J. Hawk, who had 9½ sacks as an Ohio State senior, will be the featured blitzer.

"In the 3-2 stuff, he's a natural pass rusher," McCarthy said. "That's something we'll get more into as we go down the line. I think what you're seeing in the last 12 to 14 days is a young man get comfortable with what he's doing. I think we need to continue and let that (gain) a little more steam. You can't ask him to do too much."

pittstang5
08-25-2006, 10:27 AM
It'll be very interesting in seeing who they decide to keep. They've got six good DTs - Pickett, Cole, Allen, Williams, Jenkins and Jolly with room for a maximum of five. At this point, I'm clueless as to who they keep....my gut says Williams will be the odd man out. I just hope TT can get something for him.

It would be great to stash Jolly on the PS for a year, but that's always risky.

Partial
08-25-2006, 10:32 AM
I bet they keep all 6, and keep only 3 ends. KGB, Kampman, Montgomery.

Partial
08-25-2006, 10:33 AM
whoo hoo 2000th post!

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-25-2006, 10:35 AM
Not sure how much trade value our young DT's have. They really haven't done much since they have been here, so I don't know what we could get for them. I don't think we could get more than a sixth, and that's if we're lucky.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-25-2006, 10:35 AM
whoo hoo 2000th post!

Congrats :cool:

wist43
08-25-2006, 10:50 AM
I would prefer to see them keep Hunter and dump one of the DT's.

No matter how you slice it I don't see how they're going to be able to generate any pass rush with the front four. They just don't have the talent up front.

Beyond that, the scheme itself isn't very adaptable in terms of manufacturing pressure b/c the scheme is predicated upon the DE's getting consistent pressure - and, as I said, that's not going to happen.

As for the notion that Hawk is going to be the next Lawrence Taylor - that's just misguided. Poppinga is the only pass rushing LB they have on the roster. Hawk may be an adept blitzer interms of his instincts and timing, but he's not going to defeat an OL and come crashing in on the QB.

8th in sack % last year is a mirage. This team can't generate consistent pressure - and I don't see that changing much this year. The only way I see that changing is if Hunter stays and proves to be a threat off the corner, and they use Poppinga on the blitz properly. Otherwise, they'll be dead in the water again this year.

SkinBasket
08-25-2006, 11:08 AM
8th in sack % last year is a mirage.

How is that statistic a mirage? I know it's popular to crap all over the defensive ranking numbers from last season because we lost so many games and some numbers are misleading IF used to try to prove specific points, but you at least gotta back this up with something.

People claimed our Pass D ranking last year was bogus because teams never had to throw against the Packers. Did somehow throwing less also make them easier to sack?

Just wondering where that thought came from.

Chester Marcol
08-25-2006, 11:39 AM
I don't mind singing the same song again along with wist. You plant corn, you get corn. We know exactly what we have planted along the D-line so I can't expect us being much better at pressuring the QB. I have a little hope that our 3rd down conversions allowed will be a bit better with our additions to the d-backs, but you still can't expect all DB's to cover forever.

Chester Marcol
08-25-2006, 11:51 AM
Take a look at the defensive stats last year. Notice all but one of the playoff teams was in the top half in passing defense, however they all were in the top half, if not top 10 in rushing defense. I say I would rather have my stats mimick the winners stats. There are other areas as well, like 3rd down conversions that says alot. We were horrible at getting off the field.

wist43
08-25-2006, 12:50 PM
For the Packers, you almost have to throw out last years defensive stats.

The Packers played some of the worst offensive teams in recent memory - Chicago and Detroit twice, Baltimore, Pittsburgh (with Charlie Batch at QB), Cleveland, New Orleans, etc...

The Packers were almost always behind and opposing offenses simply ran the ball and played conservative; hence, the low passing yds against. But when push came to shove, teams could pass just as easily as they could run against the Packers defense - they just didn't need to.

As for the sack numbers - they didn't come about as a result of consistent and persistent pressure. They came against inferior OT's, and they were isolated.

Just b/c the stat line says they had four sacks doesn't mean they applied good pressure. KGB sneaks around the end for a clean sack, and then doesn't press the pocket the rest of the game. Kampman slogs his way to the occasional coverage sack, but he doesn't provide consistent pressure either.

I just don't see how they can generate consistent pressure given their personnel and scheme.

CaliforniaCheez
08-25-2006, 01:24 PM
Thompson will have to make a trade one of the DT's to keep some value unless he cuts Peterson and calls Jenkins a DE.

It is a problem. I won't necessarily be the bottom of the depth chart that gets traded.