PDA

View Full Version : Clay Matthews, one-hit wonder

SnakeLH2006
09-13-2013, 01:50 AM
http://media.nbc26.com/images/640*351/620wtmj_090813packersniners12.jpg

http://www.nbc26.com/sports/green-bay-packers-news/Clay-Matthews-One-hit-wonder-223538091.html

------------------------------------------------------------------

So here's the deal. That late hit had a lot to do with the rebooted Packer D led by CMatty wanting to instill some fear in opponents. The talk was one thing..but going out and doing it is another and even though it cost us a TD..erroneous at that..it was worth it for the rest of the season.

Reason being that it makes QB's around the league take notice that CMatty and Packer D ain't no pussies and will hit anyone hard. It didn't matter in the the SF game as K tore us up passing, but with two returning DB's this week it will help our pass D. That hit made sense as we lack some toughness with Bishop getting cut, but props to CMatty for following through...even though he looked like a drunk guy talking shit to some biker dudes lady at a bar when the 330 lb OL grabbed him up. Hey it helps us establish a tougher D. Our run D looked great (Snake always loved Jolly and no coincidence our run D was number 1 back in his last season in 2009), and our pass D is a work in progress with all the youth and week 1 injuries but I have no doubt our D has an AWESOME not DIRTY leader (check the ESPN poll if you didn't see it about CMatty) that understands the psychology of D.

Thoughts?

SnakeLH2006
09-13-2013, 01:57 AM
I doubt RG3 runs all over the field after seeing CMatty and the Packer run D against SF. It puts a load on the pass D, but I'm confident it will get better. SF is prob the best team in the NFL..I thought it last year and still think it. Good system, smart players, great coach, and tough as shit. Right now they have our number...and makes me reminisce on my young Packer days of watching the Cowboys manhandle the young Favre-led Packers in the early-mid 90's until we bested them. Good rivalry and we gotta figure the Niners out, but I don't see anyone in the AFC worth a shit other than Denver..and the NFC is loaded but it comes down to SF and GB IMO.

Maxie the Taxi
09-13-2013, 07:39 AM
...and we gotta figure the Niners out...

That's the operative phrase in my opinion. It comes down to being smarter, not tougher. Snappy Kappy needs to be pressured into making mistakes. He ain't going to be intimidated into making them (until he gets bad injured like RGIII). The problem Capers faces is to contain and to pressure him at the same time or alternately at the right times. We've got the personnel now to hang with the 9ers.

Guiness
09-13-2013, 07:56 AM
I doubt RG3 runs all over the field after seeing CMatty and the Packer run D against SF. It puts a load on the pass D, but I'm confident it will get better. SF is prob the best team in the NFL..I thought it last year and still think it. Good system, smart players, great coach, and tough as shit. Right now they have our number...and makes me reminisce on my young Packer days of watching the Cowboys manhandle the young Favre-led Packers in the early-mid 90's until we bested them. Good rivalry and we gotta figure the Niners out, but I don't see anyone in the AFC worth a shit other than Denver..and the NFC is loaded but it comes down to SF and GB IMO.

I don't think RG3 runs all over either, but I hope the Pack defense doesn't sell out against the read option and leave the pass rush at home again.

It might come down to SF and GB, but more than one pundit is calling for an SF loss in Seattle this week-end.

Pugger
09-13-2013, 08:23 AM
I for one didn't think that hit on Kaep out of bounds was all that fierce. Folks act like Clay was foaming at the mouth and intent on bodily harm to CK there. If it was so brutal how come Goodell didn't fine him afterwards?

I find it incredible how national pundits are all on the SEA bandwagon. I know it was the preseason but Wilson and company didn't look all that imposing against us and they didn't light up in Carolina last week. Unless the 9ers screw up with turnovers I expect them to win this game Sunday night.

pbmax
09-13-2013, 08:52 AM
Agree about pressure. Kap was 3 of 7 under duress. He is not skilled at going through progressions yet. Pressure would work.

Run game defense was fantastic and the secondary was leak proof enough that the passing game did not produce the monstrous plays of last year's playoff game. But that was not enough. San Fran is too one dimensional to throw all your eggs into the run defense and contain basket. Somehow the Seahawks held them to 12 points, has to be a way to do it.

I still think its more speed.

Maxie the Taxi
09-13-2013, 09:00 AM
Agree about pressure. Kap was 3 of 7 under duress. He is not skilled at going through progressions yet. Pressure would work.

Run game defense was fantastic and the secondary was leak proof enough that the passing game did not produce the monstrous plays of last year's playoff game. But that was not enough. San Fran is too one dimensional to throw all your eggs into the run defense and contain basket. Somehow the Seahawks held them to 12 points, has to be a way to do it.

More speed and a big push up the middle. Seattle's DL seems to be good at that.

Cheesehead Craig
09-13-2013, 09:30 AM
We don't need more speed, just more toughness. Toughness is the answer for everything.

denverYooper
09-13-2013, 09:55 AM

I'd bet the Jones and Worthy picks were made with an eye towards getting athletic, fast ends. Jones, in particular, strikes me as a Giants-type DL.

Agree also wrt pressure. Kaep clearly can run and throw. Given the protection he gets from the SF line + run game, we haven't had a chance to see how he'd perform when constantly harassed. That's a big reason that a lot of analysts need to slow their roll on the kid. Can he produce when he's not offered the relatively safe environs of the current 49ers line?

CaptainKickass
09-13-2013, 10:18 AM
We don't need more speed, just more toughness. Toughness is the answer for everything.

... and pad level. Don't forget pad level.

pbmax
09-13-2013, 10:55 AM
I wonder how much of the different reaction to last year's playoff game and this year's opener is influenced by:

1. Playoff game

2. Run dominance versus Pass dominance

3. Improvement, relatively speaking

mraynrand
09-13-2013, 12:40 PM
I wonder how much of the different reaction to last year's playoff game and this year's opener is influenced by:

1. Playoff game

2. Run dominance versus Pass dominance

3. Improvement, relatively speaking

All of the above. I think it's pretty clear the Packers have closed the gap with the Niners. It's pretty much even. Both teams, playing full strength are going to beat the hell out of each other. I like the Packer's chances of improving come playoff time and the Niners getting longer in the tooth by that time.

Nothing is so obvious in the NFL today that it is extremely hard - not just to stay on top - but to win it all - to do so, you have to have things fall your way.

It's very exciting. I hope we don't have a season of complaining about injuries, because a Packer-Niner rematch in the playoffs should be awesome.

Guiness
09-13-2013, 01:28 PM
All of the above. I think it's pretty clear the Packers have closed the gap with the Niners. It's pretty much even. Both teams, playing full strength are going to beat the hell out of each other. I like the Packer's chances of improving come playoff time and the Niners getting longer in the tooth by that time.

Nothing is so obvious in the NFL today that it is extremely hard - not just to stay on top - but to win it all - to do so, you have to have things fall your way.

It's very exciting. I hope we don't have a season of complaining about injuries, because a Packer-Niner rematch in the playoffs should be awesome.

This is a very big reality in today's NFL. No team has the depth to withstand multiple serious injuries to starters without some really serious luck with the replacements. I'd say generally, take any team you'd consider in the top 10, and the one that stays the healthiest will be in the hunt in the post season.

The obvious recent exception would be the Pack saw it in 2010, guys who played over their heads were Shields, Bishop, Peprah and Starks. All of those players were first time starters.

mraynrand
09-13-2013, 01:35 PM
The obvious recent exception would be the Pack saw it in 2010, guys who played over their heads were Shields, Bishop, Peprah and Starks. All of those players were first time starters.

Sure, and Starks wasn't even active til late in the season. And you can't forget the weird stuff like Walden having that exceptional game against Chicago just to get into the playoffs.

Guiness
09-13-2013, 01:45 PM
Sure, and Starks wasn't even active til late in the season. And you can't forget the weird stuff like Walden having that exceptional game against Chicago just to get into the playoffs.

Walden, of course, forgot about that. I'm not so sure the Pack wins that game without his play.

Interesting that 3 of the 5 players haven't approached that level of play again. Bishop played very well in 2011, I'd say he's the only one that duplicated his effort. Shield's fell off but seems to be coming back, although he didn't end up being the plug and play replacement for Al Harris he looked to be in 2010.

mraynrand
09-13-2013, 01:52 PM
Walden, of course, forgot about that. I'm not so sure the Pack wins that game without his play.

Interesting that 3 of the 5 players haven't approached that level of play again. Bishop played very well in 2011, I'd say he's the only one that duplicated his effort. Shield's fell off but seems to be coming back, although he didn't end up being the plug and play replacement for Al Harris he looked to be in 2010.

I don't think Shields has fallen off overall. I think they asked him to do more and for a while, he wasn't up to the challenge. Still is up in the air if he can play mixed coverages (see @SF last week), but in 2010, they were really only asking for solid man coverage on the outside and he was lights out until he hurt his shoulder in the SB.

Fritz
09-13-2013, 02:58 PM
Speaking of injuries...Sitton, Burnett, Bush all questionable. Finley probable, as is Perry.

Guiness
09-13-2013, 04:13 PM
And Mathews gets his fine, $15K. No surprise, really. There was no way they could fine the TB rookie for that shove and ignore Mathews' hit.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/13/matthews-fined-15000-for-hit-on-kaepernick/

Fritz
09-13-2013, 04:34 PM
Ah, that's okay. He was a bit late on that one.

MadScientist
09-13-2013, 04:45 PM
Was wondering when the fine was coming. Seems about right given the context of the other fines. He should probably do what Raji did last year and just pay it so it won't get talked about again.

mraynrand
09-13-2013, 05:26 PM
Was wondering when the fine was coming. Seems about right given the context of the other fines. He should probably do what Raji did last year and just pay it so it won't get talked about again.

Matthews could plead no contest - that's what Jacksonville does every week.

pbmax
09-13-2013, 07:05 PM
Matthews is appealing. Wilde is taunting San Francisco by asking if 49er fans are mad that their two fines (Brooks on Rodgers and someone else) add up to more than Matthews $15,000.

pbmax
09-13-2013, 07:09 PM
Its getting personal. And he is in their heads. One good shot at Kap in a playoff game and all hell break loose.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/13/49ers-alex-boone-would-like-to-punch-clay-matthews-in-the-face/

Boone said that if he had his druthers, he would have taken care of Matthews by coming with some knuckles.

“Probably punch him in the face,” Boone said, via CSNBayArea.com. “I don’t want his money.”

George Cumby
09-13-2013, 08:19 PM
Its getting personal. And he is in their heads. One good shot at Kap in a playoff game and all hell break loose.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/13/49ers-alex-boone-would-like-to-punch-clay-matthews-in-the-face/

Despite losing, I think the Packers are in the Niners heads. I love it. Packers win in January.

SnakeLH2006
09-14-2013, 02:15 AM
Matthews is appealing. Wilde is taunting San Francisco by asking if 49er fans are mad that their two fines (Brooks on Rodgers and someone else) add up to more than Matthews $15,000.

If this is true...Wilde just won the Internet.

pbmax
09-14-2013, 07:13 AM
The other 49er fine was Boldin's late hit on Bush.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 16h
Wonder how #49ers feel about Ahmad Brooks ($12,750) and Anquan Boldin ($7.875) being fined more combined than #Packers Matthews ($15,000).

Pugger
09-14-2013, 08:50 AM
Is Clay appealing the fine or the amount? It wasn't a vicious hit, it was a tackle out of bounds and should not dock a player $15K IMO.

pbmax
09-14-2013, 09:45 AM
Is Clay appealing the fine or the amount? It wasn't a vicious hit, it was a tackle out of bounds and should not dock a player $15K IMO.

He is appealing.

Pugger
09-14-2013, 10:04 AM
Matthews could plead no contest - that's what Jacksonville does every week.

:lol:

Harlan Huckleby
09-14-2013, 12:40 PM
Clay Matthews has accrued exactly 0 unnecessary roughness penalties through his entire career prior to the recent flying squirrel maneuver. (Just learned this on "Sidelines" TV show. http://video.channel3000.com/search/?mode=topic&channel_id=6)

Calling Matthew a "dirty player" or comparing him to Psychopath Suh is ridiculous.

I don't even consider Matthew's San Fran penalty all that flagrant - Kapernick was right on the sideline when Clay took flight.

Pugger
09-14-2013, 01:38 PM
But, but, Kaepernick almost died!

Joemailman
09-14-2013, 03:58 PM
He is appealing.

I don't care one way or the other. But if you find him appealing, who am I to judge?

Guiness
09-14-2013, 05:32 PM
I missed the Boldin hit - what happened? Anyone got a clip?

The main problem I have with Mathews hit on Kaepernick was that he continued to bring him to the ground after they were out of bounds. He started the tackle while inbounds, so would've gotten away with the initial contact, but he had to know they were well out of bounds by the time he brought him to the ground. This isn't basketball, you don't get the 'continuation'.

I keep going back to the TB rookie's hit on Geno S - no way that was a penalty, and fining him is salt in the wound.

Joemailman
09-14-2013, 05:44 PM
I missed the Boldin hit - what happened? Anyone got a clip?

The main problem I have with Mathews hit on Kaepernick was that he continued to bring him to the ground after they were out of bounds. He started the tackle while inbounds, so would've gotten away with the initial contact, but he had to know they were well out of bounds by the time he brought him to the ground. This isn't basketball, you don't get the 'continuation'.

I keep going back to the TB rookie's hit on Geno S - no way that was a penalty, and fining him is salt in the wound.

I'm not sure what Matthews could have done after making contact. Both his feet were off the ground. How do you control your body in that situation. It didn't matter anyway. The initial contact was made with Kap out of bounds. With the way they're protecting QB's, he would have been flagged anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGDorVaujoI

pbmax
09-14-2013, 06:32 PM
No clip I can find. It was on a CK run OOBs. Boldin blocked him as Ck was headed out of bounds. Don't recall how blatant. It was not flagged if I can trust Twitter.

Pugger
09-14-2013, 11:25 PM
It was during the scrum when Bush was coming into the sidelines most likely to aid Clay and Boldin pushed Bush aside. Bush pushed back and then Boldin stuck his hand in Bush's facemask and pushed him again. Officials in NY saw it all after the game but no zebra saw it during the game so there was no penalty at the time.

Guiness
09-14-2013, 11:27 PM
I'm not sure what Matthews could have done after making contact. Both his feet were off the ground. How do you control your body in that situation. It didn't matter anyway. The initial contact was made with Kap out of bounds. With the way they're protecting QB's, he would have been flagged anyway.

He didn't have to drag him to the ground with his arm. Can't change direction of your body, but you can move your arm.

But in for a penny, in for a pound. For $15k, it was well worth it. He won't get too many of those passes from the league, but considering it's it first unnecessary roughness penalty since entering the league, I don't think that will be an issue.

Guiness
09-14-2013, 11:31 PM
It was during the scrum when Bush was coming into the sidelines most likely to aid Clay and Boldin pushed Bush aside. Bush pushed back and then Boldin stuck his hand in Bush's facemask and pushed him again. Officials in NY saw it all after the game but no zebra saw it during the game so there was no penalty at the time.

ok. You can actually see Boldin (81) giving someone off camera a shove in the clip above, I assume that's Bush. If it was on that play, that's why I didn't see it during the game, was paying attention to the main action. You can generally only pick up stuff like that on repeat viewing by focusing on different players.

Pugger
09-14-2013, 11:38 PM
You should see the posts on the NFL site and BSPN about this whole thing. Some fools make it seem like Clay horse-collared Kaep ala Deacon Jones. The horror! Its a wonder CK could get up and walk away - that's why I said above the Kaep almost died! Some are even saying Clay = Suh. :roll: We can all thank Hairball for blowing this entire soap opera way out of proportion. Some thug on their O line said either today to yesterday he wants to punch Clay in the nose. Cry me a frickin' river. The overgrown babies won the damn game but can't stop whining. I think we should send that bunch a case of pacifiers.

SnakeLH2006
09-15-2013, 01:35 AM
Well it's good to establish a tough guy mentality in the NFL unlike the Internetz. I'm sure with CMatty's new fortune he can afford 15K.

For perspective, at his base rate of his new contract of $13.2 million yearly, a $15,000 fine is 1/880 of his base pay even before performance bonuses. So say you make $50,000 a year at your job, that fine equivalently cost you $51.92. I'm sure it's worth it to him and the morale of the team.