PDA

View Full Version : Studs and Duds: Week 2 vs. Washington

pbmax
09-15-2013, 11:31 PM
Studs

Rodgers - only minor complaints here. Held the ball a little long early. Missed two easy short throws. By the end of the game, it didn't matter because of all the things he did right.

J Jones - Monster game

Starks - Just was a man today on short notice. Screens and zone, did a little of it all

Bach - Heard Orakpo's name once

Cobb/Nelson - got some leftovers but they either scored or got huge first downs

B Jones - doubters falling by the wayside

Pickett - big man skyed for pass deflected AND celebratory chest bump with Jolly

Neal/Matthews - played some new kind of big nickel and each made a play in the middle of it

Q - blocked well and made a nice catch

Shields - nice pass D and tackling

House and Banjo - should open tackling school in GB

Duds

Barclay - got abused by Kerrigan for a while early

Perry - had one rush and one nice tackle but was subbed for Neal quite a bit

Daniels - was real active but missed two tackles and the run went for a big gain. Points for subbing in for injured Jolly

Masthay - Robopunter had his first shank in quite a while. Only fair to mention he is deadly with KOs out of the endzone.

Ross - Invasion of the Body Snatchers has claimed another victim. When he got a chance, looked slow and indecisive.

Crosby - All those extra points could have been straighter.

Guiness
09-16-2013, 12:45 AM
Banjo's tackling was a very pleasant surprise.

Did Bak do that well? I remember Orakpo got a sack, pretty sure that one was on Bakhtiari. And on another play, Orakpo had beaten him and would've gotten to Rodgers if Kerrigan hadn't got there first for the sack.

Loving Mathsay's KOs. Why wasn't he doing this before??? Did he just point out to MM that he could pound the ball out of the end zone this TC?

RashanGary
09-16-2013, 01:49 AM
house has been a fantastic gunner. just wow. AR was friggin lights out. We're spoiled cuz its just sort of expected.

Fritz
09-16-2013, 06:12 AM
Studs

Rodgers - only minor complaints here. Held the ball a little long early. Missed two easy short throws. By the end of the game, it didn't matter because of all the things he did right.

J Jones - Monster game

Starks - Just was a man today on short notice. Screens and zone, did a little of it all

Bach - Heard Orakpo's name once

Cobb/Nelson - got some leftovers but they either scored or got huge first downs

B Jones - doubters falling by the wayside

Pickett - big man skyed for pass deflected AND celebratory chest bump with Jolly

Neal/Matthews - played some new kind of big nickel and each made a play in the middle of it

Q - blocked well and made a nice catch

Shields - nice pass D and tackling

House and Banjo - should open tackling school in GB

Duds

Barclay - got abused by Kerrigan for a while early

Perry - had one rush and one nice tackle but was subbed for Neal quite a bit

Daniels - was real active but missed two tackles and the run went for a big gain. Points for subbing in for injured Jolly

Masthay - Robopunter had his first shank in quite a while. Only fair to mention he is deadly with KOs out of the endzone.

Ross - Invasion of the Body Snatchers has claimed another victim. When he got a chance, looked slow and indecisive.

Crosby - All those extra points could have been straighter.

Has Wist shown up to keep himself off the "duds"list??

Did not see much of Tramontana. How did he do?

Merriweather gets a bug "dud" designation for his shitty helmet first tackling. Asshole.

Rodgers - let's enjoy that guy. Wow.

Joemailman
09-16-2013, 06:38 AM
Has Wist shown up to keep himself off the "duds"list??

Did not see much of Tramontana. How did he do?

Merriweather gets a bug "dud" designation for his shitty helmet first tackling. Asshole.

Rodgers - let's enjoy that guy. Wow.

I'm not sure Wist watches if he thinks the Packers are going to win.

If a CB is not noticed, that's usually good.

Merriweather's new nickname is Karma.

Rodgers and P. Manning in a 2 man race for MVP at this point.

3irty1
09-16-2013, 07:11 AM
Daniels also belongs on the studs list. In that super deep rotation he's not going to get much work but he sure sticks out whenever he's out there. He's super disruptive.

Starks belongs on the studs for his stat line but I'd like to highlight his KO of Merriweather as the real moment where all kinds of blood rushed to our collective penises (peni?). Karma isn't usually something we've had the privilege of. We've been on the receiving end of more than our fair share of injustices. Seeing Starks stand over the concussed carcass of that shit heap was fucking awesome. James Starks built a running game in a cave....WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!!!

Finley is starting to play like a contract year player should. If you must choose to pay Finley or Raji, who do you pick?

I know pb already mentioned House but that strip that didn't count was the kind of play that I've been longing for. Also did anyone else see his "House" celebration after his sack?

Duds:

EDS had another shittyish game. One play was particularly bad where he was beaten so badly that it seemed like he didn't even exist.

Refs. Not that it matters a ton, but that Moss TD was pure bullshit. This was a one-sided game that should have been quite a bit more one-sided.

Hyde had another terrible day and is the lousiest tackler I've seen in recent memory.

pittstang5
09-16-2013, 08:21 AM
Studs yesterday were obvious.

Duds:
EDS - needs to be replaced by next year, he's a backup - a guy that can come in once in a while and help you finish a game.

Perry - Is he even playing? I haven't heard his name - maybe that's good? But he has offered no pass rush thus far. It's early in the season, but he's shown nothing.

Those refs, oh, just thinking about the non-calls yesterday makes me mad. They didn't change the outcome of the game, but I expect refs to be fair. I still don't get how Moss' TD is a TD. The non-Helmet to helmet calls were just frustrating to no end.

mraynrand
09-16-2013, 10:10 AM
James Starks built a running game in a cave....WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!!!

LOL

http://blogs.athensvoice.gr/data/blogs/803a82dee7e3fbb3438a149508484250/iron-man-site-obadiah-stane_small.jpg

Smidgeon
09-16-2013, 10:14 AM
Banjo's tackling was a very pleasant surprise.

Did Bak do that well? I remember Orakpo got a sack, pretty sure that one was on Bakhtiari. And on another play, Orakpo had beaten him and would've gotten to Rodgers if Kerrigan hadn't got there first for the sack.

Loving Mathsay's KOs. Why wasn't he doing this before??? Did he just point out to MM that he could pound the ball out of the end zone this TC?

But how will Masthay do on onside kicks? Isn't Crosby supposed to be one of the better onside kickers in the league? Will having Masthay kick off undermine that? If they trot out Crosby for the "surprise" onside, won't that clue defenses in? Of course, it might make them spend a timeout...

Just things I've been wondering. Probably three plays a year don't change much, but I've been thinking about that.

mraynrand
09-16-2013, 10:16 AM
The Stark Plug was awesome. Everyone keeps counting him out, but he just keeps coming back for more. You can see why he can't make it through a year though. That guy beats his body worse than Tyler Durden.

mraynrand
09-16-2013, 10:26 AM
Dud: Some guy who scalped his ticket to the game, right next to these guys:

http://images.ftw.usatoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/AP-Redskins-Packers-Football_001.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
09-16-2013, 10:31 AM
Is Datone Jones injured or a dud?

mraynrand
09-16-2013, 10:36 AM
Perry - Is he even playing? I haven't heard his name - maybe that's good? But he has offered no pass rush thus far. It's early in the season, but he's shown nothing.

he tipped a pass, and seemed solid in the run game. Neal was better though.

Fritz
09-16-2013, 10:58 AM
he tipped a pass, and seemed solid in the run game. Neal was better though.

I'm not ready to rip on Perry. He sets a solid edge and though he doesn't get sacks (yet), he does push the pocket and hold the point of attack.

3irty1
09-16-2013, 11:10 AM
I don't think its fair to bitch about edge rushers until we start facing QB's that aren't a homerun threat with their legs. You don't turn Perry loose on those kinds of guys and bull rush has never been his game despite the fact that he looks the part.

pittstang5
09-16-2013, 11:11 AM
On Perry,

I'm not questioning his run defense, he's been fine/solid there. I'm just concerned that he hasn't even been close to getting a sack. I guess I'll take solid run defense over Walden.

Tony Oday
09-16-2013, 11:18 AM
It would be awesome if there was a sign next to those two that said Pack Scalp the Skins.

Bossman641
09-16-2013, 11:21 AM
I don't think its fair to bitch about edge rushers until we start facing QB's that aren't a homerun threat with their legs. You don't turn Perry loose on those kinds of guys and bull rush has never been his game despite the fact that he looks the part.

+1

I'm expecting a big improvement in the pass rush next week

mraynrand
09-16-2013, 11:48 AM
Is Datone Jones injured or a dud?

he's not looking like Aldon Smith yet, that's for sure

run pMc
09-16-2013, 12:32 PM
I think PFF mentioned Jones played 18 snaps, 0 pressures. Unless camp was a mirage, his ankle is not where it should be.
If you watch House's sack of RG3 you'll see Nick Perry was a split second away from getting there. All he does is bull rush, and if he adds a couple of moves to that he could do some damage. So far I don't think he's been awful, but he's not lights out either.

What I'm wondering is whether the SF tackled that much better than WAS, or did the GB just have a good day? They did most of their damage after the catch, and it seemed like both WASH & GB's defenses missed a bunch of tackles -- esp. WAS. Haslett has to be shellshocked.

Starks is definitely on the studs list. The KO of Meriweather alone merits that, nevermind running roughshod over the Skins' D. I can't wait for McGinn to talk about how the Redskins lost because London Fletcher is too small.