PDA

View Full Version : Week 2 Aftermath

pbmax
09-16-2013, 07:13 PM
Capers said we might be seeing more of Banjo.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 8m
Dom Capers today: “I think you could see more and more of Chris Banjo. I thought he did well." #packers

House replaced Hyde and nickel corner, playing outside with Williams moving to slot. Have not seen much commentary about reason Hyde was pulled. Article says he has struggled with speed.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/223990921.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

gbgary
09-16-2013, 07:27 PM
any news on injuries...lacy?

Joemailman
09-16-2013, 07:30 PM
any news on injuries...lacy?

Lacy has a concussion. Because of the process they have to follow, there probably won't be any real info for a few days.

gbgary
09-16-2013, 07:36 PM
knew he was concussed but didn't know how severe.

red
09-16-2013, 09:07 PM
MM said that they wont know anything about lacy until wednesday

MJZiggy
09-16-2013, 09:36 PM
Wonder if there's gonna be a fine when the same guy tries to take out two running backs with shots to the head...

pbmax
09-16-2013, 10:35 PM
Wonder if there's gonna be a fine when the same guy tries to take out two running backs with shots to the head...

Consensus with reporters is that the 2nd hit is not viewed as against the rules because it was not heads on and he contacted the side of Starks helmet. Fine is most often predicted for the first hit.

mraynrand
09-17-2013, 07:22 AM
Consensus with reporters is that the 2nd hit is not viewed as against the rules because it was not heads on and he contacted the side of Starks helmet. Fine is most often predicted for the first hit.

They looked about the same to me. The shot to lacy was on the left side of his helmet. The difference is that Starks had lowered his shoulder to deliver a hit and that lacy was totally vulnerable. And that Starks got the better of Merri.

Packers4Glory
09-17-2013, 07:41 AM
strike up the Banjo!! He's a player

Packers4Glory
09-17-2013, 07:43 AM
We need Hayward back ASAP. Burnett would be nice but I think considering his importance to this team, holding him out next week would be the smart play.

Guiness
09-17-2013, 08:16 AM

I've seen it said both ways, to me it looks like Starks was more lucky than good in the way he received that hit. Merriweather lowered his head to deliver the blow, didn't wrap up at all.

Gholston got a suspension, Merriweather did not. They're saying history is the reason, but Merriweather has gotten fines in the past (2010 and 2011).

Packers4Glory
09-17-2013, 08:48 AM
ironic Suh didn't get a suspension but Gholston did. do they just throw darts at a board blindfolded?

Pugger
09-17-2013, 09:01 AM
I've seen it said both ways, to me it looks like Starks was more lucky than good in the way he received that hit. Merriweather lowered his head to deliver the blow, didn't wrap up at all.

Gholston got a suspension, Merriweather did not. They're saying history is the reason, but Merriweather has gotten fines in the past (2010 and 2011).

Merriweather has a history of being a head hunter. In both of those hits on Sunday he wasn't interested in the least in tackling anybody. In both plays his arms are at his side as he launches himself towards the ball carrier. IMO idiots like him don't belong in the NFL and if the league were truly serious about concussions they'd kick him out of the league before he really maims someone.

Fritz
09-17-2013, 09:09 AM
Merriweather has a history of being a head hunter. In both of those hits on Sunday he wasn't interested in the least in tackling anybody. In both plays his arms are at his side as he launches himself towards the ball carrier. IMO idiots like him don't belong in the NFL and if the league were truly serious about concussions they'd kick him out of the league before he really maims someone.

When it comes to deciding which players get suspended for illegal hits and which merely get fined, the NFL stands for "No Fucking Logic."

Merriweather has a history of illegal hits, then leads with his helmet - TWICE - but no, no suspension for him.

There is no attempt to tackle Starks; Merriweather leads with his helmet, period.

Pugger
09-17-2013, 09:15 AM
There was no attempt to tackle Lacy either. Merriweather's arms are at his side in that play too. :x

pbmax
09-17-2013, 09:21 AM
Lacy has a concussion. Because of the process they have to follow, there probably won't be any real info for a few days.

I hope everyone realizes the "process" is the new "pad level". It means everything, and is both omniscient and omnipresent.

Also, More Banjo should be the name of the Weekly Discussion thread.

Patler
09-17-2013, 09:33 AM
ironic Suh didn't get a suspension but Gholston did. do they just throw darts at a board blindfolded?

Goldson might be an even worse offender than Suh. He had personal fouls both weeks this season, following 13 other personal fouls since 2010 and more than $70,000 in fines last season.

pbmax
09-17-2013, 09:53 AM
Quote from the instructional video for the crown of the helmet rule.

There are three components to this foul: First, the player must line up his opponent. Second, he must lower his head. And third, he must deliver a forcible blow with the crown of his helmet to any part of his opponent’s body. The crown is the very top of the helmet.

pbmax
09-17-2013, 10:25 AM
Florio on Dan Patrick's radio show that the League thinks Merriweather's hit on Starks doesn't qualify under the new rule.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BUX0yfgCAAAdEHs.jpg:large

pbmax
09-17-2013, 10:29 AM
Here is the official League video explaining the changes. Its a wmv file and a good size download. I pulled it down to a Mac so it downloaded the thing, a Windows machine might stream it.

http://media01.nfl.info/NFL/Officiating/2013/Videos/NFL2013_RulesChanges-WMV-720p.wmv

run pMc
09-17-2013, 10:35 AM
Don't think Meriweather watched the video. Maybe a suspension would give him the requisite time to review it?
"More Banjo" thread...awesome.

pbmax
09-17-2013, 10:43 AM
From the League Video:

If both players are moving (video shows Bucs-Lions game run O wide left near sideline, LB coming to cut off RB) at an angle and neither player has lined up his opponent, the contact (with crown) is legal.

This would seem to be the out on the Starks hit. If true, its problematic. Why does an angle in the collision change the applicability of the rule if the hit is at 90 degree angle? Would you rather be T-boned or hit head on? Also, Starks is pinned to sideline so Merriweather COULD line him up and hit at a 90 degree angle, it was not a glancing glow that deflected harmlessly to an angle.

Patler
09-17-2013, 10:53 AM
From the League Video:

This would seem to be the out on the Starks hit. If true, its problematic. Why does an angle in the collision change the applicability of the rule if the hit is at 90 degree angle? Would you rather be T-boned or hit head on? Also, Starks is pinned to sideline so Merriweather COULD line him up and hit at a 90 degree angle, it was not a glancing glow that deflected harmlessly to an angle.

That is indeed odd. They seem to be interested only in stopping head-on collisions. Merriweather clearly lined up Starks, even if from an angle.

ThunderDan
09-17-2013, 12:05 PM
From the League Video:

It should be easy to decide. If you drop your arms and lead with the helmet it's against the rules. If you are trying to use your arms to wrap someone up accidental helmet to helmet contact should be allowed.

ThunderDan
09-17-2013, 12:08 PM
My week two aftermath.

Pittsburg is bad. Jacksonville is really really bad. Still not sold on the Dolphins.

Denver to the Super Bowl from the AFC.

Not sold on SEA or SF to represent out of the NFC. Maybe Packers or Saints.

Guiness
09-17-2013, 12:53 PM
My week two aftermath.

Pittsburg is bad. Jacksonville is really really bad. Still not sold on the Dolphins.

Denver to the Super Bowl from the AFC.

Seattle will be tough if they get any sort of home field advantage. That stadium is crazy, the NFL should seriously consider making the Seahawks do something about that.

The wheels indeed seem to have fallen off in Pittsburgh. Something interesting from that game is that James Harrison didn't show up on the stat sheet, not even a tackle. I'm a little surprised, I thought he might've gone a little wild against his former team.

Phins and KC both sitting at 2-0, but I don't think anyone is taking them too seriously. I think the Giants and Skins, sitting at 0-2 have a better chance than either of them of making the playoffs.

mraynrand
09-17-2013, 01:18 PM

yeah, but a key is avoiding a playoff game in Seattle.

MadScientist
09-17-2013, 01:29 PM
Seattle will be tough if they get any sort of home field advantage. That stadium is crazy, the NFL should seriously consider making the Seahawks do something about that.

The wheels indeed seem to have fallen off in Pittsburgh. Something interesting from that game is that James Harrison didn't show up on the stat sheet, not even a tackle. I'm a little surprised, I thought he might've gone a little wild against his former team.

Phins and KC both sitting at 2-0, but I don't think anyone is taking them too seriously. I think the Giants and Skins, sitting at 0-2 have a better chance than either of them of making the playoffs.

KC looks somewhat respectable and has a shot at a WC.

Miami has a chance in their division, given how bad the other 3 teams have looked so far.

Washington looks like one of the worst teams in the league right now. The whole NFC-E looks like shit.

Cheesehead Craig
09-17-2013, 01:36 PM
With how shitty the AFC is outside of Denver and arguably Houston. It wouldn't surprise me at all if KC and Miami made the playoffs.

Agree with the scientist, Washington looks bad. The Giants seem to be able to rally during the season, but with absolutely no run game and a defense that has really declined from just 2 years ago I don't expect them to bounce back for a run at the playoffs this year. They've lost their identity.

denverYooper
09-17-2013, 03:36 PM
Denver lost Clady for a while with a Lisfranc. We'll see how long, but Broncos fans are about to experience life without their all-pro LT. They don't think it will make a difference, but they haven't had to suffer through a rotating list of tackles. We'll see.

mraynrand
09-17-2013, 03:43 PM
The Giants seem to be able to rally during the season, but with absolutely no run game and a defense that has really declined from just 2 years ago I don't expect them to bounce back for a run at the playoffs this year. They've lost their identity.

Maybe Jason Bateman can get it back for them

http://www.kinoamolympiasee.de/uploads/filme/vollabgezockt_05.jpg

Looks like BJ Raji...

HarveyWallbangers
09-17-2013, 05:06 PM
I kind of like Miami and Kansas City to contend for playoff berths. Not for the championship though. Tannehill's a good player and he has some offensive talent to work with. Their defense is underrated also. I have similar feelings about KC + Andy Reid is a helluva coach. I think it will be Seattle, San Fran, or Green Bay out of the NFC.

red
09-17-2013, 05:48 PM
of course the NFL isn't going to suspend the thug, i'd be shocked if they fine him

suspending him would have been admitting that their refs not only fucked up once, but twice, by not throwing flags on those plays

ThunderDan
09-17-2013, 07:14 PM
yeah, but a key is avoiding a playoff game in Seattle.

Seattle barely beat Car on the road. They could easily finish 11-5 and have to go to either NO or GB.

Joemailman
09-17-2013, 07:40 PM
Seahawks are a different team outside of their echo chamber. Last year, 8-0 at home* , 3-5 on the road.

*Includes Fail Mary

I think they're probably the favorite for the #1 seed though.

George Cumby
09-17-2013, 08:20 PM
It's a long season. I suspect the Broncos and SEA will not perform at this level for the next five months.

pbmax
09-18-2013, 01:24 PM
Chance that Jolly tipped this pass, and the resulting wounded duck fell to AJ, who was trailing a slightly open Garcon?

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/All-22-view-AJ-Hawk-breaks-up-a-pass/8e63d89c-b9bb-456c-9a75-a47e56dc2469

mraynrand
09-18-2013, 01:34 PM
Chance that Jolly tipped this pass, and the resulting wounded duck fell to AJ, who was trailing a slightly open Garcon?

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/All-22-view-AJ-Hawk-breaks-up-a-pass/8e63d89c-b9bb-456c-9a75-a47e56dc2469

so much for AJ's one 'big play'

Joemailman
09-18-2013, 05:44 PM
Browns trade Trent Richardson to Colts for Colts 2014 1st round pick. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000246821/article/colts-trade-2014-1stround-pick-to-browns-for-trent-richardson

Guiness
09-18-2013, 05:54 PM
Browns trade Trent Richardson to Colts for Colts 2014 1st round pick.

*mind blown*

A season and 2 games, pretty fast to give up a guy drafted #3 overall who wasn't a total washout.

Interesting that this even can happen. It's a result of the rookie salary cap, before the changes teams were pretty much stuck with their picks unless they wanted to eat a huge cap hit. They'll still eat a chunk, his signing bonus should've been close to $15mil.