PDA

View Full Version : Trade a DT Now!

Scott Campbell
08-25-2006, 10:35 AM
We have so much depth at the position that we'll be cutting a very good player in a couple of weeks with nothing to show in return. Trade somebody now for one of the many positions where we have questionable depth. Or maybe even a draft pick.

DT's are a scarce commodity in the NFL. Look at ATL scooping up Grady. It's nearing desperation time for some teams, and Ted should be able to parlay our excessive depth into something of value.

Partial
08-25-2006, 10:40 AM
i'll parlay your excessive depth

Noodle
08-25-2006, 10:42 AM
We also seem fat at DB. I wonder if we could package something together. Draft pick, OL help, I'd take something like that.

red
08-25-2006, 10:43 AM
maybe for a saftey?

but which DT should be traded, aren't they all pretty equal?

No Mo Moss
08-25-2006, 11:05 AM
Keep em all. I like the insane rotation on 5 fresh DT all game long. It compensates fro what they lack in pure talent along the line. I opposing interior lines will have a long day ahead when they play the pack.

Pack0514
08-25-2006, 11:49 AM
Which ones to keep?

Pickett
Cole
Williams
Allen
Jenkins
Jolly

I think the only way we can keep all six is to be able to give someone like Jenkins some snaps on the outside. But that means someone like Peterson would be hittin' the road. (not that I think that would be a bad thing.)

At ends we have

Kampman
KGB
Montgomery
Peterson

Partial
08-25-2006, 12:31 PM
Which ones to keep?

Pickett
Cole
Williams
Allen

Jolly

I think the only way we can keep all six is to be able to give someone like Jenkins some snaps on the outside. But that means someone like Peterson would be hittin' the road. (not that I think that would be a bad thing.)

At ends we have

Kampman
KGB
Montgomery
Jenkins

T, FTFY

retailguy
08-25-2006, 12:32 PM
My math says 6DT's + 4DE's = 10. Its not out of the realm to keep 10 although keeping 9 is also common. 5Dt's and 5DE's would be more common, but.... There are too many unproven guys to get much. I think it is more likely to sneak one onto the practice squad.

Funny how last season everyone was bitching about the "quality" of the Dline guys, now there is concern about "waiving" one of these quality guys.... Amazing the difference a season makes. Or maybe it is the new coach.... Or just August optimism.

Partial
08-25-2006, 12:55 PM
My math says 6DT's + 4DE's = 10. Its not out of the realm to keep 10 although keeping 9 is also common. 5Dt's and 5DE's would be more common, but.... There are too many unproven guys to get much. I think it is more likely to sneak one onto the practice squad.

Funny how last season everyone was bitching about the "quality" of the Dline guys, now there is concern about "waiving" one of these quality guys.... Amazing the difference a season makes. Or maybe it is the new coach.... Or just August optimism.

I think August optimism is more likely. We've got a slew of average guys at a position where you want difference makers. It's really quite a pickel.

RashanGary
08-25-2006, 01:01 PM
Has Kenny Peterson ever made a play? I say cut him.

woodbuck27
08-25-2006, 01:10 PM
We have so much depth at the position that we'll be cutting a very good player in a couple of weeks with nothing to show in return. Trade somebody now for one of the many positions where we have questionable depth. Or maybe even a draft pick.

DT's are a scarce commodity in the NFL. Look at ATL scooping up Grady. It's nearing desperation time for some teams, and Ted should be able to parlay our excessive depth into something of value.

I see the same thing Scott.

I was proposing that we package a DT (Do we risk Johnny Jolly on the PS?) If the Coach's do "in fact" see potential in him. Maybe package a DT with a RB/FB or WR (not that I see alot there.That ? at WR will depend on the ? of WR Ruvell Martin ready or not to contribute on Offense/ST's? They must like something in R.Martin - as he's being tried all over for versatility.

GO PACKERS ! FAITH IN 2006 !!

Partial
08-25-2006, 01:12 PM
Jolly won't last on the PS. I thought he was projected 3rd-4th round before his injury. He's going to be a solid player here.

Scott Campbell
08-25-2006, 02:05 PM
You can't sneak any of these guys on the practice squad. They'll be gone. You might just as well waive them.

woodbuck27
08-25-2006, 02:24 PM
You can't sneak any of these guys on the practice squad. They'll be gone. You might just as well waive them.

Let's try to trade the one's that are expendabe, not flush them down the toilet.

I believe we have alot of players that might be offered in a trade when you really study that option.

GO PACK GO. FAITH in 2006 !!

No Mo Moss
08-25-2006, 02:56 PM

Let's try to trade the one's that are expendabe, not flush them down the toilet.

I believe we have alot of players that might be offered in a trade when you really study that option.

GO PACK GO. FAITH in 2006 !!

To get them onto the practice squad you have to waive them. Then they have to sit something like 8 days and then you can sign them to the p squad. I think that's how it works.

Guiness
08-25-2006, 06:17 PM
It'll be tough to trade any - cause everybody knows someone's going to be waived, and they're pretty content to sit and wait for that.

I can't see us keeping 10 - there's talk of an extra WR or OL because we're thin on talent there. And we have to keep an extra FB due to Henderson's injury, etc. 10 DL just isn't going to happen.

3 QBs
9 OL
9 DL
3 HB
2 FB
5 WR
9 DB (10 is possible)
6 LB
3 TE
LS
P
K
=52

retailguy
08-25-2006, 08:30 PM
Has Kenny Peterson ever made a play? I say cut him.

I disagree, to a point. When he's in at DT, he's got some good pressures and a sack or two I think. He's INVISIBLE as a DE which is where they've played him the most.

retailguy
08-25-2006, 09:01 PM
9 DB (10 is possible)

=52

10 db's? - No way. 9 maybe.

Roster is 53, not 52. There is my 10th DT. :wink:

SD GB fan
08-25-2006, 09:24 PM
i bet TT is looking for a trade right now. but teams are vry cautious when it comes to trading valuable players.

Bretsky
08-25-2006, 10:30 PM
Maybe I'm the DL grinch, but I don't see many of these lineman that we'd be willing to trade having much value. Maybe a 7th or somebody soon to be cut, but that's about it. Most of these guys are currently developing but average backups..rotation guys.

When I look at the ideal example of somebody so stockpiled with talent they can get good value for a player who could really help some other team...............I look at Philadelphia and Al Harris being the #3 there and us trading a 2nd round pick for him.

We don't have quality to trade away; just roster fill ins.

B

retailguy
08-25-2006, 10:33 PM
Maybe I'm the DL grinch,
B

Nah, you're the OL grinch. You got a point with the DL. No trade value there, but overall they are not too bad a group.

Bretsky
08-25-2006, 10:48 PM
Maybe I'm the DL grinch,
B

Nah, you're the OL grinch. You got a point with the DL. No trade value there, but overall they are not too bad a group.

I agree; they are not bad overall. They REALLY need a star on this line; than all those average role players would look better as well.

retailguy
08-25-2006, 10:51 PM
I agree; they are not bad overall. They REALLY need a star on this line; than all those average role players would look better as well.

I wonder if Pickett can get some pressure. If we can get a DT that can command a double team, the DE's can get "around" the corner.

thats why kampy looked so good last year.

I think you could build a case that the DL will determine the success of the the D. The rest of the D is not bad. Solid, not spectacular, but good enough. the DL just has to create pressure or we're screwed...

Bretsky
08-25-2006, 11:01 PM

I wonder if Pickett can get some pressure. If we can get a DT that can command a double team, the DE's can get "around" the corner.

thats why kampy looked so good last year.

I think you could build a case that the DL will determine the success of the the D. The rest of the D is not bad. Solid, not spectacular, but good enough. the DL just has to create pressure or we're screwed...

Back to those lines again :wink:

I think you are right though.

Same thing with OL; they need to develop or the season is screwed as well.

retailguy
08-25-2006, 11:07 PM

Lines.... What lines? Where... Oh, back to football....

I think the lack of experience on the lines is what really worries me this year. It makes the skill of the position players on both O & D less important. they can't do their job if the lines don't do theirs.

DL has to create pressure or the secondary & linebackers cannot cover the receivers or backs.

OL has to give Favre time, and the receivers time to get open.

Otherwise, we're in for more 4-12.... and a LONG season.

woodbuck27
08-25-2006, 11:41 PM

Lines.... What lines? Where... Oh, back to football....

I think the lack of experience on the lines is what really worries me this year. It makes the skill of the position players on both O & D less important. they can't do their job if the lines don't do theirs.

DL has to create pressure or the secondary & linebackers cannot cover the receivers or backs.

OL has to give Favre time, and the receivers time to get open.

Otherwise, we're in for more 4-12.... and a LONG season.

A good TEST coming up on Monday. After that game... we'll have a better idea of how OUR lines are.

The Bengals are a decent Team and that's good for us. I hope the Bengals play very well. OUR best Vs. their's for at least the first half. :mrgreen:

GO PACK GO ! FAITH !!

Bretsky
08-25-2006, 11:46 PM
Yes, it will be another good test. I noted the week before the Falcon game that Atlanta's DL was weak versus the run so if we struggled there we knew that was a huge sign of trouble.

We passed that test and now we're facing an upgrade from the Falcons Monday

Terry
08-26-2006, 04:50 AM
To get them onto the practice squad you have to waive them. Then they have to sit something like 8 days and then you can sign them to the p squad. I think that's how it works.

One day, I think. One full day - two nights. You cut them sunday night and you can sign them to the practice squad on Tuesday.

swede
08-26-2006, 02:03 PM
It'll be tough to trade any - cause everybody knows someone's going to be waived, and they're pretty content to sit and wait for that.

I was formulating this exact response Mr. Dark Fermented Beverage!

If you play the role of GM from another team wanting DL help, you understand GB's predicament quite well. GB can't keep them all and is unlikely to find trading partners.

And Bretsky's point follows the same line of reason. No one will trade any pick of significant value for guys that hit the waiver wire in a week or two anyway.

Keep the very best three and hold on to one with versatility or best potential.

Most trades this time of year are like the Fontenot/Brewster trade: "This guy is too nice to cut. We can't bear to do it. Send us a guy who won't make your team for a guy that's not going to make our team."

Lurker64
08-26-2006, 02:39 PM

If you play the role of GM from another team wanting DL help, you understand GB's predicament quite well. GB can't keep them all and is unlikely to find trading partners.

And Bretsky's point follows the same line of reason. No one will trade any pick of significant value for guys that hit the waiver wire in a week or two anyway.

Keep the very best three and hold on to one with versatility or best potential.

Most trades this time of year are like the Fontenot/Brewster trade: "This guy is too nice to cut. We can't bear to do it. Send us a guy who won't make your team for a guy that's not going to make our team."

Don't teams with the worst record in the same conference as the player cut have first priority on any cut player, followed by teams in the other conference in ascending order of record?

If so, you might be able to get something from, say, an AFC team who has a lack of depth at DT. Probably nothing more than a late round draft pick, but we have a general manager who appears to cherish those. That being said though, I'm sure that if we have to cut someone rather than trade him, it's not because TT wasn't trying.

swede
08-26-2006, 03:06 PM
Lurker, that is a reasonable scenario. Some teams are so far in back of the waiver wire line that they might give up a later round pick in order to have the first shot at trying somebody out.

What seems to happen way more often though is that after the first cut borderline players get signed off of waivers and move on and off of practice squads until things settle down after the second or third game.

When the neighborhood figures out that you dump all of your stuff on the curb after your yard sale is over, they stop paying for stuff at your yard sale and wait to pick it off the curb for free.