PDA

View Full Version : Comings and goings of players around the league

Patler
09-17-2013, 09:29 AM
On the "former Packers" list:

- Mulligan was signed again by NE.
- Brandon Smith, a CB I thought GB would add to their PS, was signed to the Bills' PS.
- Quinn Jonson was taken off IR and cut by TN.
- Danny Lansanah was cut then resigned to the Jets' PS.

run pMc
09-17-2013, 10:39 AM
It seems like Danny Lansanah has been around on somebody's PS since 2003.

KalamazooPackerFan
09-17-2013, 11:28 AM
Will Blackmon is with Jacksonville. He may have even started the last game......it must be really dire in Jacksonville.

Guiness
09-17-2013, 12:01 PM
And Paris Lenon continues to play for the 2013 paper champions (generally #1 in the 'power rankings') Denver Broncos!

Guiness
09-17-2013, 12:03 PM
Will Blackmon is with Jacksonville. He may have even started the last game......it must be really dire in Jacksonville.

Yup, from PFT:

Blackmon is already starting for the Jaguars and has recorded four tackles and a pass defensed in two games with the team.

Joemailman
09-17-2013, 01:26 PM
R-Kal Truluck started 2 games with the Orlando Predators of the Arena Football League in 2013.

run pMc
09-17-2013, 01:56 PM
R-Kal Truluck started 2 games with the Orlando Predators of the Arena Football League in 2013.

LOL Outstanding!

What did Sherman give up for him...

Packers on Sept. 5, 2004, sent fifth- and sixth-round draft picks in 2005 to Kansas City for the defensive end, who is expected to make an impact as a pass rusher.

I thought he'd traded for an alien R-Kal, Kal-El, K-Pax, whatever...don't recall him being very good. Compared to the GM's before and after him, Sherman was a terrible GM.

Zool
09-17-2013, 04:08 PM
Holy shit, I totally forgot about OurGal NoLuck.

Patler
09-18-2013, 07:45 AM
The Browns cut Tori Gurley on Tuesday.

KYPack
09-18-2013, 07:55 AM
The Browns cut Tori Gurley on Tuesday.

I saw Gurley on the sidelines of the Browns game.

Getting his ass chewed for running the wrong route.

NFL body & skills, semi-pro brain.

run pMc
09-18-2013, 08:06 AM
anybody sign Tyrone Walker? Everyone thought it was either him or Ross...and when it was Ross, they thought he'd be on the PS.

Upnorth
09-18-2013, 08:20 AM

When he first started with the saskatchewan Roughriders I thought he was going to be great. Then for the next three games it was nothing but mistakes and inconsistencies. I was glad to see him go until the packers took him. Guy could not get off a block or play contain at all

Patler
09-18-2013, 11:06 AM
anybody sign Tyrone Walker? Everyone thought it was either him or Ross...and when it was Ross, they thought he'd be on the PS.

Seahawks signed him to their practice squad on 9/4, then cut him on 9/12.

Guiness
09-18-2013, 01:46 PM
The Bears brought in center Nick McDonald for a look see!

KalamazooPackerFan
09-18-2013, 02:08 PM
The Bears brought in center Nick McDonald for a look see!

Chaz Powell, too. Wasn't he one of the lasy of safeties to be cut?

Guiness
09-24-2013, 01:51 PM
Chaz Powell, too. Wasn't he one of the lasy of safeties to be cut?

I thought Powell was never healthy for the Pack and got an injury settlment?

Two more former almost Packers find work this week. The Colts brought former 7th round pick Lawrence Guy in, probably to replace Francois. I say 'almost' Packer because he didn't make the team, I don't think he even got to the PS. I remember reading that he left school early and declared for the draft, probably not the smartest thing he ever did considering he's struggling to make a team. He was on the Redskins PS, and also interesting is that Indi picked up two guys off their squad! That has to be annoying!

Vic So'oto signed with the Cardinals. So'oto was actually a Packer for a short while, he was on the active roster for part of a season but never really got on the field. So'oto was a disappointment with the Pack. Looked so good coming out of camp, back problems and that was it.

Patler
09-24-2013, 01:59 PM
I thought Powell was never healthy for the Pack and got an injury settlment?

Two more former almost Packers find work this week. The Colts brought former 7th round pick Lawrence Guy in, probably to replace Francois. I say 'almost' Packer because he didn't make the team, I don't think he even got to the PS. I remember reading that he left school early and declared for the draft, probably not the smartest thing he ever did considering he's struggling to make a team. He was on the Redskins PS, and also interesting is that Indi picked up two guys off their squad! That has to be annoying!

Vic So'oto signed with the Cardinals. So'oto was actually a Packer for a short while, he was on the active roster for part of a season but never really got on the field. So'oto was a disappointment with the Pack. Looked so good coming out of camp, back problems and that was it.

Lwrence Guy was on IR in 2011, and spent the first first month or so of the 2012 season on the Packer practice squad. The Colts snatched him away for their 53 man roster, and he played somewhat regularly for them last year. I was surprised when the Colts released him at the end of preseason this year. Seems that they reconsidered that decision.

Patler
10-01-2013, 07:50 AM
Terrell Manning was released by San Diego, then signed to their practice squad.

Jason Spitz signed with Seattle.

Guiness
10-01-2013, 04:47 PM
Jason Spitz signed with Seattle.

This Jason Spitz?
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/lou/sports/m-footbl/03-04roster/HS_spitz_jason.jpg
Owner of one of the best head shot photos ever?

Any excuse to post this photo...
http://images.ftw.usatoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/oline-200x200.jpg
I thought he was in Jacksonville.

Not a former Packer, but I see that Max Starks was released - from starting LT in Pittsburgh to a no home walking the streets MFer, he was cut by both SD and St-L this year. Of course, he was part of an OL unit that seemingly tried to get Ben R. killed year after year.

MTPackerfan
10-02-2013, 09:06 AM
Phillip Merling was cut by Washington, didn't he play for Green Bay or was drafted by Green bay?? name seems familiar

pbmax
10-02-2013, 09:13 AM
Phillip Merling was cut by Washington, didn't he play for Green Bay or was drafted by Green bay?? name seems familiar

In camp last year I believe. Got him from Miami I think.

Patler
10-02-2013, 11:08 AM

In camp last year I believe. Got him from Miami I think.

Not just camp last year, Merling played for the Packers while Mike Neal was on suspension. He was released when Neal was activated.

Patler
10-08-2013, 08:00 AM
The Colts brought former 7th round pick Lawrence Guy in,.....

...and now the Colts have waived him again.

Guiness
10-08-2013, 08:15 AM
...and now the Colts have waived him again.

I think he made a bad decision coming out when he did. I read some stuff from his college coach saying he had a learning disability and was just finding his feet, I think he had been made a team captain, but needed more time to develop and the coach was disappointed he left early. He got drafted in the 7th and hasn't been able to contribute enough to stick with a team.

Patler
10-09-2013, 01:30 AM
San Diego claimed Lawrence Guy off waivers, and released Jarius Wynn to make room for him.

Brandon Smith (CB), who I thought the Packers might sign to their practice squad after they released him at the final cutdown, has been on Buffalo's practice squad. Today Buffalo signed him to their regular roster.

Detroit signed Jeremy Ross to their practice squad.

Joemailman
10-10-2013, 08:53 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Raiders-sign-Daniel-Muir.html

he Oakland Raiders signed defensive tackle Daniel Muir.

Muir is a veteran defensive tackle, having spent time with the Green Bay Packers, Indianapolis Colts, St. Louis Rams, New York Jets, Kansas City Chiefs and Houston Texans previously.

He has recorded 87 career tackles.

Muir recently tried out for the Chicago Bears.

run pMc
10-11-2013, 07:53 AM

Surprised he's still PS eligible. I wonder if he will make the roster, play on Thanksgiving, and fumble?

KYPack
10-11-2013, 10:02 AM
San Diego claimed Lawrence Guy off waivers, and released Jarius Wynn to make room for him.

Brandon Smith (CB), who I thought the Packers might sign to their practice squad after they released him at the final cutdown, has been on Buffalo's practice squad. Today Buffalo signed him to their regular roster.

That's an ex-Packer all-star team.

Buffalo was gonna sign Nixon who we signed, but got Smith instead.

denverYooper
10-12-2013, 03:32 PM
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 48m

Browns sign wide receiver Charles Johnson off Packers' practice squad, place Brian Hoyer on injured reserve with ACL tear

denverYooper
10-12-2013, 04:24 PM
Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 5m

Arizona reached an injury settlement with former #Packers LB Vic So'oto and Seattle cut Jason Spitz

Guiness
10-12-2013, 04:34 PM
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 48m

Browns sign wide receiver Charles Johnson off Packers' practice squad, place Brian Hoyer on injured reserve with ACL tear

too bad about Johnson. He was raw, from a Div II program, apparently a Packer scout went there and like a lot of what he saw. I think 2 more players from there were brought in as UDFAs? Sorry to see him go, I was looking forward to seeing if he developed.

Teamcheez1
10-12-2013, 08:30 PM
too bad about Johnson. He was raw, from a Div II program, apparently a Packer scout went there and like a lot of what he saw. I think 2 more players from there were brought in as UDFAs? Sorry to see him go, I was looking forward to seeing if he developed.

The funny thing is none of these players seem to develop on other teams. I think they would have a better opportunity in our system, but practice squad players eventually become mostly practice fodder.

pbmax
10-12-2013, 09:53 PM

Johnson was signed to the roster and I think Gurley is still on the Browns PS.

KYPack
10-13-2013, 11:14 AM
Johnson was signed to the roster and I think Gurley is still on the Browns PS.

Johnson will hang around NFL rosters for awhile based on a scary size/speed ratio.

He's from around here, he played HS ball 5 miles from my house.

He is also a lunkhead, got thrown out of Louisville, which is almost impossible.

He's 24, had to play DII cause no big program would touch him.

Guiness
10-14-2013, 12:23 AM
Flynn gets another go around, Thad Lewis hurt and they bring him in for a look!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/13/report-matt-flynn-to-work-out-for-bills/

Smidgeon
10-14-2013, 10:49 AM
The funny thing is none of these players seem to develop on other teams. I think they would have a better opportunity in our system, but practice squad players eventually become mostly practice fodder.

I agreed with this, and up until about 10 seconds ago, I was disappointed the Pack didn't have a chance to develop him. Ten seconds ago, I read KYPack's analysis. Now I'm indifferent. TT will find another guy next year in the draft.

Patler
10-14-2013, 04:40 PM
Flynn gets another go around, Thad Lewis hurt and they bring him in for a look!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/13/report-matt-flynn-to-work-out-for-bills/

They indeed signed him today.

Joemailman
10-15-2013, 07:31 PM
Cowboys sign Jarius Wynn. http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Cowboys-sign-Jarius-Wynn.html

run pMc
10-16-2013, 09:55 AM
Desmond Bishop on IR with ACL.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9824852/desmond-bishop-miss-remainder-season-knee-injury

Maxie the Taxi
10-16-2013, 01:03 PM
Josh Freeman just named as the starter for Monday Night.

Patler
10-16-2013, 01:13 PM
Josh Freeman just named as the starter for Monday Night.

That didn't take long.

Maxie the Taxi
10-16-2013, 01:20 PM
Source is Rotoworld:

The Vikings announced Josh Freeman will start Monday night's Week 7 game against the Giants.
The plan all along was for the Vikings to settle on a starter by Wednesday so that whoever it ended up being could gain some chemistry with the first-team offense during the practice week. It would have been a major surprise had Freeman not been named the starter. Christian Ponder will be the No. 2, while Matt Cassel will be inactive or possibly even released. Freeman will be a QB2 this week. His insertion into the lineup is a boost to everyone on offense.

Joemailman
10-29-2013, 05:32 PM
Sidney Rice of Seattle with a torn ACL. http://nfl.si.com/2013/10/29/sidney-rice-injury-seattle-seahawks/?sct=hp_t2_a3&eref=sihp

Patler
10-30-2013, 12:27 PM
Michael Huff and Marcus Spears have been cut by Baltimore.

Lots of fans wanted to see GB go after Huff when Oakland released him.

Spears' career seems to be grinding to a halt because of bad knees, reported to be a degenerative condition.

KYPack
10-30-2013, 04:00 PM

Spears' career seems to be grinding to a halt because of bad knees, reported to be a degenerative condition.

I looked at a Raven site before we played 'em.

They were going on about what an absolute stench of a game Huff had in the opener. They benched him and now cut his butt.

The guy was done last season, let alone now.

Fritz
10-31-2013, 11:47 AM
Maybe we ought to start a pool after the season about which free agent we want TT to sign most who will be cut the following year by the team that does sign him.

I am conveniently forgetting who I wanted TT to sign.

But I did want him to trade for the Chief's former left tackle - Brandon Albert, I think the name is - who supposedly coulda been had for a second rounder.

I suppose I could say that woulda worked well and Bahk coulda moved to the right, but really, Bahk has been pretty darn good. Even Barclay, who is to me below average, has not gotten ARod killed (yet).

Good thing I'm not the GM.

Bossman641
10-31-2013, 12:16 PM
Maybe we ought to start a pool after the season about which free agent we want TT to sign most who will be cut the following year by the team that does sign him.

But I did want him to trade for the Chief's former left tackle - Brandon Albert, I think the name is - who supposedly coulda been had for a second rounder.

I suppose I could say that woulda worked well and Bahk coulda moved to the right, but really, Bahk has been pretty darn good. Even Barclay, who is to me below average, has not gotten ARod killed (yet).

I was trying to think the other day of FA's who fans wanted TT to go after. S Jackson was one of them - he's been a disaster for them. Huff was another I thought of.

Teamcheez1
10-31-2013, 12:34 PM
Ahmad Bradshaw was another player people wanted us to look into.
Jim Leonard and probably a myriad of other safeties.

Guiness
10-31-2013, 12:45 PM
McKinnie could end up starting in Miami. The Dolphins RT is missing. Apparently some teamates pulled a prank on him in the cafeteria, he got mad, stormed out and hasn't been seen since!

Story is that the team pointedly ignored him at a meal.

3irty1
10-31-2013, 01:31 PM

I'm having a cookout for everyone that wanted us to sign Huff or Steven Jackson before the season. The menu: BBQ crow.

denverYooper
10-31-2013, 01:51 PM
I'm having a cookout for everyone that wanted us to sign Huff or Steven Jackson before the season. The menu: BBQ crow.

What style? KC, Texas, Carolina?

Upnorth
10-31-2013, 02:07 PM
I was bullish on Eric Winston the RT what would I get served?

hoosier
10-31-2013, 02:17 PM
I was bullish on Eric Winston the RT what would I get served?

That would earn you a Mexican barbeque.

run pMc
10-31-2013, 02:22 PM
Only ones I can remember were Ahmad Bradshaw, Dashon Goldson and Steven Jackson...although I do recall the Brandon Albert ruckus.

Guiness
10-31-2013, 02:39 PM

I had one foot in the Huff camp, but not too strongly. If we could've brought him in cheap, sure, and I'm still not sure that wouldn't have been a good idea. Seems to me that's still the weakest position on the D.

The guys you can say I put my name on was Brandon Albert and/or Eric Winston. When Bulaga went down, I did not like the idea of a Bakh at all. It's worked out, but wow was that a chance to take.

Teamcheez1
10-31-2013, 09:06 PM
How quickly we forget that we were ready to sign "any kicker not named Crosby" to be on this team. Crosby has settled down, and none of the tryout kickers seems to have a job elsewhere.

Iron Mike
11-01-2013, 07:24 AM
I remember thinking we should kick the tires on Karlos Dansby after releasing Desmond Bishop. He appears to be doing OK on a shitty Cardinals team:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/5558/karlos-dansby

KYPack
11-01-2013, 07:54 AM
I remember thinking we should kick the tires on Karlos Dansby after releasing Desmond Bishop. He appears to be doing OK on a shitty Cardinals team:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/5558/karlos-dansby

You said it.

That's like a career year for the boy halfway thru the season.

69 solo's, 3 sacks with a pick?

I watched parts of some Cards games. I really haven't noticed the guy, I must not be paying attention.

Iron Mike
11-01-2013, 08:00 AM
You said it.

That's like a career year for the boy halfway thru the season.

69 solo's, 3 sacks with a pick?

I watched parts of some Cards games. I really haven't noticed the guy, I must not be paying attention.

I'm infrequently right, but when I am, I'm sure to let everyone know it. :)

bobblehead
11-01-2013, 10:53 AM

Bak has NOT been that good, you are comparing him to Marshmellow. He is probably around 20th amongst LT's in the league. The good news is that for a rookie 4th rounder that is actually damn good, but you need to be better than that.

Tony Oday
11-01-2013, 12:44 PM
Bak is good this year.

I wanted Jackson before we drafted Lacy, and then after we drafted Lacy :)

I still want a new kicker. Crosby sucks. Also want a new Special Teams Coach...think Bennett could do that too?

run pMc
11-01-2013, 03:02 PM
"Wide receiver Greg Jennings, who missed some time early this week with a knee injury, is probable" vs. Dallas.

Not exactly working out so great for both parties so far.

Cheesehead Craig
11-01-2013, 03:53 PM
Justin Blackmon suspended indefinately.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9913531/justin-blackmon-jacksonville-jaguars-suspended-indefinitely

I'll admit that I thought he was going to be a stud. What a waste.

MadScientist
11-01-2013, 04:04 PM
"Wide receiver Greg Jennings, who missed some time early this week with a knee injury, is probable" vs. Dallas.

Not exactly working out so great for both parties so far.
Jennings with an injury? Who would ever have seen that coming. More surprised that he hasn't missed a couple of games yet, but not catching passes does reduce wear and tear on the body.

If he does miss a game, who will the Vikings turn to to get open and be ignored or missed badly?

red
11-01-2013, 04:43 PM
Justin Blackmon suspended indefinately.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9913531/justin-blackmon-jacksonville-jaguars-suspended-indefinitely

I'll admit that I thought he was going to be a stud. What a waste.

unreal, guy was suspended for the first 4 games of the season comes back for a couple games, and gets suspended for the rest of the season

what pisses me off is that he should have been suspended for a full calender year with the ability to reapply after that year. like jolly got. but the NFLPA and NFL worked out a deal and just got it knocked down to suspended for the rest of the year

where was that cooperation for jolly?

either way, i'm guessing blackmon doesn't have the desire and drive that jolly did, i'm guessing the guys just ended his career

Joemailman
11-03-2013, 01:05 AM
Denver Head Coach John Fox will undergo an aortic heart valve replacement. He will be gone for several weeks. Denver is on its bye week now. ihttp://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000275045/article/john-fox-to-miss-several-weeks-after-heart-procedure

red
11-03-2013, 07:52 AM
Denver Head Coach John Fox will undergo an aortic heart valve replacement. He will be gone for several weeks. Denver is on its bye week now. ihttp://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000275045/article/john-fox-to-miss-several-weeks-after-heart-procedure

perfect timing

he was in town on the bye week to see a surgeon about getting his heart fixed in the off season. doctor tells him he should get it done ASAP and at the very least he needs to be aware of anything weird happening. he leaves the hospital, goes to the golf course and almost passes out. goes back to the hospital, and is now having the surgery

Pugger
11-03-2013, 10:20 AM
Surprised he's still PS eligible. I wonder if he will make the roster, play on Thanksgiving, and fumble?

We can only hope... ;-)

Fritz
11-03-2013, 10:21 AM
Now that's a real "I told you so" chance for that Doc!

denverYooper
11-04-2013, 09:20 AM
From MMQB:

Defensive Players of the Week
Lawrence Guy, defensive end, San Diego. Normally, if you’ve been waived three times by age 23, you might be thinking, “Time to find another line of work.” Not Guy. Cut once by Green Bay and twice by Indianapolis, all in the last 15 months, Guy was signed by the Chargers 26 days ago to provide roster depth at defensive end. He did more than Sunday at Washington. In a scoreless game in the first quarter, he blocked a chip-shot 25-year field goal attempt. A few minutes later, with Robert Griffin III pinned at his 1-yard line, Guy batted a Griffin pass up in the air, and defensive tackle Sean Lissemore intercepted it for a touchdown. Memo to Guy from Charger brass: You don’t have to worry about being cut this year.

Guiness
11-04-2013, 11:48 AM
From MMQB:

Obviously a great game, but I highly doubt that will 'guarantee' him a job for the rest of the year unless you subscribe to the playmaker theory. Better guess is when SD gets healthy he's back on the bench. What idiot blogger wrote that piece?

Fritz
11-04-2013, 12:46 PM
Well, he's probably going to get more playing time and a chance to prove that wasn't a fluke.

Maybe the lights finally went on for the kid. Apparently he's got great size for a DE. He lacked knowledge and experience.

woodbuck27
11-04-2013, 01:04 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000276566/article/matt-flynn-released-by-buffalo-bills-after-three-weeks

Matt Flynn released by Buffalo Bills after three weeks

By Dan Hanzus ... Around the League Writer ... Published: Nov. 4, 2013 at 01:24 p.m. ... Updated: Nov. 4, 2013 at 01:57 p.m

The release counts as another career setback for Flynn, who signed with the Bills on Oct. 14 after being released by the Oakland Raiders. That Buffalo chose to keep undrafted free agent Jeff Tuel over Flynn is indicative of how far Flynn's stock has crashed in the last two seasons.

GO PACKERS !

Guiness
11-04-2013, 01:21 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000276566/article/matt-flynn-released-by-buffalo-bills-after-three-weeks

By Dan Hanzus ... Around the League Writer ... Published: Nov. 4, 2013 at 01:24 p.m. ... Updated: Nov. 4, 2013 at 01:57 p.m

The release counts as another career setback for Flynn, who signed with the Bills on Oct. 14 after being released by the Oakland Raiders. That Buffalo chose to keep undrafted free agent Jeff Tuel over Flynn is indicative of how far Flynn's stock has crashed in the last two seasons.

GO PACKERS !

crashed stock to be sure. Something pretty wrong there, he had that elbow injury, I wonder if it hampered his not great arm to the point he can't make the throws anymore? That's the only thing I can figure.

I can't see him getting another shot.

Patler
11-04-2013, 01:24 PM

GO PACKERS !

Hey Woodbuck! Good to "see" you again!

Re: Flynn - wow, there is a career that has taken a drastic turn for the worse in less than two years.

Fritz
11-04-2013, 01:39 PM
What the hell happened? How do you go from setting an all-time team record for passing yards in a game to out of the league, in two years?

Injury?

Patler
11-04-2013, 01:53 PM
DJ Williams was cut by the Jaguars today.

CaptainKickass
11-04-2013, 02:00 PM
Anyone else see Tom Crabtree ( Tampon Bay ) catch a jump pass from a running back on a goal to go play while facing the offense and falling down on his ass after he barely got up from a block?

I was all - "Hey, is that TOM Crabtree?" And sure as shit, it was.

woodbuck27
11-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Hey Woodbuck! Good to "see" you again!

Re: Flynn - wow, there is a career that has taken a drastic turn for the worse in less than two years.

Hi Patler:

Mae and I took 4 months vacation back east to my farm property in New Brunswick, Canada and no internet. I've a lot of catching up to do on all things Green Bay Packer and NFL.

GO PACKERS !

ThunderDan
11-04-2013, 02:19 PM
Anyone else see Tom Crabtree ( Tampon Bay ) catch a jump pass from a running back on a goal to go play while facing the offense and falling down on his ass after he barely got up from a block?

I was all - "Hey, is that TOM Crabtree?" And sure as shit, it was.

I try not to watch TB games unless necessary.

red
11-04-2013, 02:57 PM
the guy who many said was by far the best shut down corner in the game has just been cut mid season to make room for guys coming off of IR

Nnamdi Asomugha on his way out of San Francisco

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/04/nnamdi-asomugha-on-his-way-out-of-san-francisco/

Patler
11-04-2013, 03:17 PM
the guy who many said was by far the best shut down corner in the game has just been cut mid season to make room for guys coming off of IR

Nnamdi Asomugha on his way out of San Francisco

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/04/nnamdi-asomugha-on-his-way-out-of-san-francisco/

...and all the articles that proclaimed the "genius" of SF for signing him cheaply.

Joemailman
11-04-2013, 06:43 PM
Matt Flynn released - this time by Buffalo. E.J. Manuel back from knee injury made him expendable.

pbmax
11-04-2013, 10:59 PM
...and all the articles that proclaimed the "genius" of SF for signing him cheaply.

That is the football rule of two: One team releasing a vet might mean you can still play. Two teams releasing you mean you are likely done as a starter.

QBME
11-11-2013, 02:36 PM
Charles Tillman out for the rest of the regular season. Big loss for the stinkin' Bears.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-chicago-bears-tillman-out-20131111,0,7733229.story

red
11-12-2013, 01:15 PM
ED Reed was just released by the texans

woodbuck27
11-12-2013, 01:30 PM
ED Reed was just released by the texans

http://www.cincyjungle.com/latest-news/2013/11/12/5096168/houston-texans-release-safety-ed-reed

" The way that his contract was structured with Houston, Reed will receive his guaranteed $6 million for playing just those seven games. He will go on waivers and then become a free agent, if not claimed by a team."

I'd love to see the Packers go for him and send a message to our secondary. He won't cost a bundle either.

PACKERS !

Guiness
11-12-2013, 01:41 PM
http://www.cincyjungle.com/latest-news/2013/11/12/5096168/houston-texans-release-safety-ed-reed

" The way that his contract was structured with Houston, Reed will receive his guaranteed $6 million for playing just those seven games. He will go on waivers and then become a free agent, if not claimed by a team."

I'd love to see the Packers go for him and send a message to our secondary. He won't cost a bundle either.

PACKERS !

What? No way. I haven't seen him play, but I assume he's more done than done. I don't see what he could possibly bring to the table.

woodbuck27
11-12-2013, 02:00 PM
What? No way. I haven't seen him play, but I assume he's more done than done. I don't see what he could possibly bring to the table.

" Reed, a nine-time Pro Bowler and eight-time All-Pro, didn't do much of anything of note with Houston, ** racking up only 16 tackles in seven games played. "

Even in a really off season he's performed better than a couple of our guys.

** That's more production than both SS Jerron McMillian (15 Tackles) and FS Chris Banjo (12 tackles).

" He didn't have an interception, sack, and/or a forced fumble recorded on the year. "

How much of that is defensive scheme and/or respect from opposing offensive co-ordinators staying clear of challenging him?

Determine what he has in the tank. Send a message and bring him in for his leadership ability.

Then there's ** this and it would be in his best interests and to prove something to go to a more assure playoff contender (New England). He's a good fit also for the way Bill Belichick does things.

** http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000280823/article/ed-reeds-potential-landing-spots-include-patriots-jets

** Ed Reed's potential landing spots include Patriots, Jets

By Chris Wesseling ... Around the League Writer

Published: Nov. 12, 2013 at 02:04 p.m. Updated: Nov. 12, 2013 at 02:24 p.m.

" Now that the Houston Texans are cutting ties with Ed Reed, the veteran safety will take just over $400,000 in remaining salary to the waiver wire.

He will end up collecting $6 million in guarantees for his seven games in Houston.

In the competitive disadvantage stage of his career, Reed is no sure bet to be claimed this week. In fact, it's quite possible that he's played his last NFL game.

If Reed does manage to latch on with a playoff contender, though, here is a list of potential landing spots:

1. New England Patriots: Reed and Patriots coach Bill Belichik have long formed a mutual admiration society, and the Patriots could use the depth with Steve Gregory injured.

2. New York Jets: Rex Ryan has a soft spot for his former Ravens stars, as evidenced by his reluctance to part with a declining Bart Scott. The Jets like starter Antonio Allen, but he's been a liability in coverage at times. " Fr. LINK above

That list continues with some more 'surer' bets to make the playoffs this season.

Click on the LINK immediately above for details.

PACKERS !

pbmax
11-12-2013, 02:16 PM
Neither McMillan nor Banjo start. So they are actually outperforming Ed Reed if we are going to judge by tackles (per snap).

The Starters: Jennings has 27 tackles and Burnett has 22.

MadScientist
11-12-2013, 02:16 PM
" Reed, a nine-time Pro Bowler and eight-time All-Pro, didn't do much of anything of note with Houston, ** racking up only 16 tackles in seven games played. "

Even in a really off season he's performed better than a couple of our guys.

** That's more production than both SS Jerron McMillian (15 Tackles) and FS Chris Banjo (12 tackles).

" He didn't have an interception, sack, and/or a forced fumble recorded on the year. "

How much of that is defensive scheme and/or respect from opposing offensive co-ordinators staying clear of challenging him?

Determine what he has in the tank. Send a message and bring him in for his leadership ability.

PACKERS !
Um, McMillan has missed more games than he played, and Banjo has been mostly a ST'er. Not really a good comparison. The film likely shows what he has in the tank (fumes). That said, if McMillan has to go on IR, maybe he's worth a look, just out of due diligence if nothing else.

woodbuck27
11-12-2013, 02:38 PM
Um, McMillan has missed more games than he played, and Banjo has been mostly a ST'er. Not really a good comparison. The film likely shows what he has in the tank (fumes). That said, if McMillan has to go on IR, maybe he's worth a look, just out of due diligence if nothing else.

He'll get snapped up by some other team.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/houston-texans/0ap2000000280785/Rapoport-Reed-released-for-comments-and-performance

Rapoport: Reed released for comments and performance

Published: Nov. 12, 2013 at 01:19 p.m.

02:09 – Ian Rapoport reports the Houston Texans are releasing safety Ed Reed because of his critical comments and recent performance.

denverYooper
11-12-2013, 04:11 PM
Yeah, why not add a guy with 0 INTs and 0 pdef this year? He'd fit right in.

Patler
11-12-2013, 07:21 PM
Jake Locker to IR.

pbmax
11-13-2013, 01:31 PM
Does the Vikings pro personnel department consist of a guy who subscribes to the digital version of the Green Bay Press Gazette and has a Twitter account?

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 11m
OT Jamal Johnson-Webb, who worked out for #Packers on Monday, has signed to the #Vikings' practice squad

run pMc
11-13-2013, 03:27 PM
SF released Kyle Williams

woodbuck27
11-13-2013, 06:07 PM
Ed Reed cleared waivers today.

It seems he never got on track after his surgery this season and getting back in late August.

woodbuck27
11-13-2013, 06:12 PM
SF released Kyle Williams

He wasn't out there long.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000281287/article/kyle-williams-acquired-by-kansas-city-chiefs

Kyle Williams acquired by Kansas City Chiefs

By Marc Sessler Around the League Writer

Published: Nov. 13, 2013 at 04:53 p.m. Updated: Nov. 13, 2013 at 06:51 p.m.

" The Kansas City Star later confirmed through the player's agent that Williams will join a Chiefs receiving corps that includes Donnie Avery, Dexter McCluster and also the embattled Dwayne Bowe, who will start against the Denver Broncos on Sunday night despite being arrested on charges of speeding and marijuana possession over the weekend.

Schein: Best in the AFC West?
The surging Broncos and undefeated Chiefs are on a collision course for Sunday night, and Adam Schein senses a surprise. READ
Williams also reunites with pass-catcher A.J. Jenkins, who was shipped from San Francisco to Kansas City in August for the equally lackluster Jon Baldwin."

red
11-13-2013, 07:33 PM
Ed Reed cleared waivers today.

It seems he never got on track after his surgery this season and getting back in late August.

didn't help that he was bashing everything the texans did while he wasn't playing

red
11-13-2013, 07:34 PM
Does the Vikings pro personnel department consist of a guy who subscribes to the digital version of the Green Bay Press Gazette and has a Twitter account?

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 11m
OT Jamal Johnson-Webb, who worked out for #Packers on Monday, has signed to the #Vikings' practice squad

in the eyes of the vikings, thats a win

Carolina_Packer
11-13-2013, 08:02 PM

I realize your post was a while ago, but here is the current practice squad:

Practice Squad

# NAME POS. HT. WT. AGE EXP. COLLEGE
77 Adams, Aaron T 6-5 303 24 R Eastern Kentucky
54 Aiyewa, Victor LB 6-1 237 26 1 Washington
68 Collins, Bryan G 6-3 301 23 R Southern Methodist
72 Gerhart, Garth C 6-1 310 25 1 Arizona State
1 Gillett, Alex WR 6-1 214 22 R Eastern Michigan
20 Rolle, Jumal CB 6-0 188 23 R Catawba
34 Smith, Orwin RB 6-0 209 22 R Georgia Tech
83 Walker, Tyrone WR 5-10 191 23 R Illinois State

I'm sad we just lost Michael Hill to the Buccaneers, but good for him getting another opportunity. I know he played for Missouri Western, a DII school, but his YouTube highlight video is pretty cool.

Glad that we have Tyrone Walker back. I hope he sticks long enough to get another off-season and training camp under his belt. I think he could be something.

woodbuck27
11-13-2013, 10:38 PM

Practice Squad

I'm sad we just lost Michael Hill to the Buccaneers, but good for him getting another opportunity. I know he played for Missouri Western, a DII school, but his YouTube highlight video is pretty cool.

Glad that we have Tyrone Walker back. I hope he sticks long enough to get another off-season and training camp under his belt. I think he could be something.

I just checked out Michael Hill's video...mmmm... impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET_Rz0ijlDU

2012 highlight video for Missouri Western running back Michael Hill, whose 2,168 rushing yards in 2012 was most in MWSU history.

Hill also finished 2nd in the voting for the prestigious Harlon Hill Trophy, awarded to the NCAA Division II player of the year.

woodbuck27
11-13-2013, 10:43 PM

Practice Squad

WR Michael Walker

http://www.fox11online.com/sports/packers-and-nfl/wr-tyrone-walker-returns-to-packers

" Walker finished his career at Illinois State as the school’s all-time leader in receptions (250), receiving yards (3,565) and receiving touchdowns (32). He will wear No. 83 for the Packers. "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnutyyCcq0I

Illinois State University WR #12 Tyrone Walker 2011 Jr. Season

Published on Jul 1, 2012

" Tyrone Walker is arguably one the best Wide Receiver in Division I (FCS) football. He has outstanding coordination, body balance, hands and more. This hi-lite tape has every single one of his catches from this past season. He told me he wants to give everyone a chance to judge him fairly, whether it's a good or bad play. Check him out. "

Carolina_Packer
11-13-2013, 11:07 PM
WR Michael Walker

http://www.fox11online.com/sports/packers-and-nfl/wr-tyrone-walker-returns-to-packers

" Walker finished his career at Illinois State as the school’s all-time leader in receptions (250), receiving yards (3,565) and receiving touchdowns (32). He will wear No. 83 for the Packers. "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnutyyCcq0I

Illinois State University WR #12 Tyrone Walker 2011 Jr. Season

Published on Jul 1, 2012

" Tyrone Walker is arguably one the best Wide Receiver in Division I (FCS) football. He has outstanding coordination, body balance, hands and more. This hi-lite tape has every single one of his catches from this past season. He told me he wants to give everyone a chance to judge him fairly, whether it's a good or bad play. Check him out. "

The Packers could have flipped a coin to decide whether to keep Myles White or Tyrone Walker on the practice squad when they had the last roster cut-down from this year's training camp. If it had been Walker with the opportunity that presented itself to White with all the Packers injuries, I think he may have even shown out more than White has been able to. The kid looks like a good route runner, and just looked smooth. That's not to take anything away from White and what he's done with his opportunity.

HarveyWallbangers
11-14-2013, 01:29 AM
The problem with Walker is he is slow and short. There are physical limitations when you are 5'10" and run in the 4.6s.

Patler
11-14-2013, 05:39 AM
Former Packer D.J. Smith has been signed by Houston to the regular roster;
Loyce Means, who was in the Packers training camp, has been signed to Houston's practice squad; and
Former Packer Derrick Martin has been signed by the Bears.

Guiness
11-14-2013, 07:07 AM
Derrick Martin was one of the guys on IR in 2010. He's got a great line

Despite his absence for the 2010 season, the Packers won Super Bowl XLV against the Pittsburgh Steelers

lol

woodbuck27
11-14-2013, 10:42 AM
As per a late report fr. NFL.Com:

FS Ed Reed is now a New York Jet. He was being courted by both the Jets and patriots.

He didn't remain a FA for very long or < 24 hours.

KYPack
11-14-2013, 01:13 PM
As per a late report fr. NFL.Com:

FS Ed Reed is now a New York Jet. He was being courted by both the Jets and patriots.

He didn't remain a FA for very long or < 24 hours.

He played brilliantly for Rex Ryan.

The Hoodies love for Ed is deep and profound.

Ed still hasn't recovered from the hip surgery.

But he might get well in a month or so.

woodbuck27
11-14-2013, 03:26 PM
He played brilliantly for Rex Ryan.

The Hoodies love for Ed is deep and profound.

Ed still hasn't recovered from the hip surgery.

But he might get well in a month or so.

One very big positive.

Leadership from one of the very best safetys to ever play in the league.

Guiness
11-15-2013, 03:30 AM
To follow the topic of players going, Eric Walden is going to get ejected for this little stunt

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/196dr0qchwn59gif/ku-xlarge.gif

woodbuck27
11-15-2013, 05:31 AM
To follow the topic of players going, Eric Walden is going to get ejected for this little stunt

Erik Walden headbutts Delanie Walker; Walker throws punch; both allowed to keep playing

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/erik-walden-headbutts-delanie-walker-walker-throws-punch-025005999--nfl.html

By Eric Edholm | Shutdown Corner – 8 hours

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4jUyzUs3sZv90k7oVBC40aMYpphdRt UQ_Fme6Rv4qHnhB3mzK

Eric Walden was

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTtC_pmmUGkAjYYPEF0l11GWovaFnsES 7BbiFXkaq0D4wnrzS3F

Last Night in Tennessee.

Bossman641
11-15-2013, 06:51 AM
The problem with Walker is he is slow and short. There are physical limitations when you are 5'10" and run in the 4.6s.

If he was stupid he'd have the trifecta

Pugger
11-15-2013, 07:42 AM

That idiot will get a nice hefty fine from the league and the zebras officiating this game will be questioned as well. I'm so glad that buffoon is no longer in GB.

pbmax
11-15-2013, 11:07 AM
He's gotta be suspended. Suh got two games for stomping on an arm. A helmet to skull hit after the play has got to be as bad.

What an idiot.

On the plus side, he does seem to have won his job back.

Patler
11-20-2013, 08:20 PM
Former Packer D.J. Smith has been signed by Houston to the regular roster;

But, it didn't last long. Houston cut D.J. Smith today.

red
11-20-2013, 08:36 PM
But, it didn't last long. Houston cut D.J. Smith today.

so whats going on there?

i loved the guy when he was here. small but the guy played with a lot of fire

Joemailman
11-20-2013, 11:16 PM
He's gotta be suspended. Suh got two games for stomping on an arm. A helmet to skull hit after the play has got to be as bad.

Especially considering Walker didn't have his helmet on because Walden had ripped it off.

woodbuck27
11-21-2013, 08:33 AM
so whats going on there?

i loved the guy when he was here. small but the guy played with a lot of fire

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D._J._Smith_(American_football)#San_Diego_Chargers

Pre-draft measurable for LB D.J. Smith

Ht ... 5 ft 10 in - Wt... 239 lb - 40-yd dash... 4.80 s

10-yd split...1.78 s - 20-yd split ... 2.70 s - 20-ss... 4.12 s

3-cone... 7.35 s - Vert ... 31 in - Broad... 8 ft 8 in

BP... 20 Reps

This man has some physical limitations RE: playing in the NFL.

" Smith was thought by scouts to be on the shorter side for a linebacker and stated that he "has trouble finding the ball inside at times due to his lack of height."[5] Scouts stated that his arms were too small and limited his ability to "grab NFL backs on the way through or get off blocks.". They also stated that he has a habit of overrunning plays.[5] On the positive side, they stated that Smith was a "Thick, compact linebacker",[5] who often "Scrapes down the line, stays square to get to the ball.". NFL Scouts stated that he was good at changing directions with limited space and that he was an "Excellent wrap-up tackler in space" ... "

PACKERS !

pbmax
11-26-2013, 05:55 PM
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 4h
TE DJ Williams, who is visiting the Pats today, expected to sign with them shortly

woodbuck27
11-26-2013, 10:20 PM
TE DJ Williams, who is visiting the Pats today, expected to sign with them shortly

That's interesting.

Time to lock down with Bill Bilichick watching carefully.

woodbuck27
11-26-2013, 10:29 PM
I was reading about the Broncos today and turned up this and not sure if it was mentioned yet on this thread. This news is a week old.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10001696/denver-broncos-add-michael-huff-rahim-moore-hurt

Broncos add Michael Huff

Updated: November 19, 2013, 5:03 PM ET

By Jeff Legwold | ESPN.com

To date Huff's still trying to learn their play book. Safety Mike Adams will likely absorb the bulk of Rahim Moore's (injury) playing time.

Guiness
11-26-2013, 11:22 PM
I was reading about the Broncos today and turned up this and not sure if it was mentioned yet on this thread. This news is a week old.
Broncos add Michael Huff

Only thing keeping that guy in the league is his draft status.

woodbuck27
11-26-2013, 11:32 PM
Only thing keeping that guy in the league is his draft status.

In 7 games played with the Baltimore Ravens he had 5 tackles and 1 Assist and zero's across the board for the rest.

I wonder what the Denver Broncos have planned for him? I was surprized that they brought him in.

He's been in the NFL for now 8 seasons and had 3-4 decent years but where did it go?

Patler
12-04-2013, 07:54 AM
Scott Wells has a broken ankle and will miss the remainder of the season.

Guiness
12-04-2013, 12:27 PM
Scott Wells has a broken ankle and will miss the remainder of the season.

Wow, ends the season on IR two years in a row. He hardly missed a game as a starter while he was in GB

woodbuck27
12-04-2013, 04:36 PM
Wow, ends the season on IR two years in a row. He hardly missed a game as a starter while he was in GB

Could that in any way possibly be related to the fact he plays in a DOME in St. Louis?

Patler
12-06-2013, 07:57 AM
B.J. Coleman had a workout with the Titans.

Fritz
12-06-2013, 08:00 AM
Favor for the hometown college team?

Patler
12-06-2013, 10:46 AM

Didn't last long. Pats released D.J. Williams on Wednesday.

Another former Packer, Quinn Johnson, was signed again by TN. He seems to go on and off their roster a couple times each year.

denverYooper
12-06-2013, 10:48 AM
Huh. I'd have thought that NE would be a fit for DJ Williams if any place would be as a replacement for Hernandez. I guess he was just lacking that killer instinct.

Patler
12-06-2013, 10:52 AM
B.J. Coleman had a workout with the Titans.

Favor for the hometown college team?

Actually, it looks like they were looking for a TE, and brought in Coleman and another guy to do the throwing!
They had six TEs and the two QBs. They signed TE Visanthe Shiancoe from the tryout.

Cheesehead Craig
12-06-2013, 03:04 PM

That's like the exact opposite of our team. Normally guys come to our team and get hurt.

Guiness
12-09-2013, 04:50 PM
Didn't last long. Pats released D.J. Williams on Wednesday.

Another former Packer, Quinn Johnson, was signed again by TN. He seems to go on and off their roster a couple times each year.

Not so quick, they-signed today.

woodbuck27
12-09-2013, 04:56 PM
Not so quick, they-signed today.

http://www.patriots.com/news/article-1/Patriots-re-sign-TE-DJ-Williams-TE-Rob-Gronkowski-placed-on-injured-reserve/0c90ac0e-62cf-4027-91f2-7675e4d4b67e

Patriots re-sign TE D.J. Williams ...... TE Rob Gronkowski placed on injured reserve and out for the season

Posted 1 hour ago

New England Patriots

Gronkowski suffered a knee injury in the third quarter of Sunday's win against the Cleveland Browns

Big shoes to fill for D J Williams. Right ...

His QB is Tom Brady...his HC is Bil Bilichick.