PDA

View Full Version : Franklin

Harlan Huckleby
09-17-2013, 03:00 PM
Well, Johnathan Franklin & Alex Green have identical stat lines for the season: 0 plays.

I hope Franklin can do something, they might need him now. I think they should have kept Green instead, but we shall see.

hoosier
09-17-2013, 03:16 PM
Franklin might still turn out to be someone. Green, he's a coulda been.

Harlan Huckleby
09-17-2013, 03:28 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a1/Franklin.gif

Actually, Franklin was a somebody as a child. More of a backup than a featured player.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin_(Peanuts)

"In a Weekend Update commentary on a 1992 episode of Saturday Night Live, Chris Rock, who incorrectly stated that Franklin had not said a single word for 25 years, related his own childhood experience as the only black student in his grade school class."

mraynrand
09-17-2013, 03:53 PM
Franklin said something politically incorrect in the Thanksgiving episode and the sound has been scrubbed from all video and television versions. (Franklin can bee seen giving a "high five" and probably says "Charlie Brown, you're a great guy for inviting me over, but you are one pathetic baseball playing cracker"

Actually, in a Charlie Brown Thanksgiving, one scene got slammed due to perceived racism. In the scene, six kids and Snoopy celebrate Thanksgiving at a ping pong table, but Franklin is alone on one side of the table, in a beach chair below the level of others. Racial watchdogs saw it as Franklin being depicted as a racial outcast, but if you knew Charles Schultz, that wasn't how he rolled. He even fought with people to have Franklin included. He would have made a good NFL agent.

Freak Out
09-17-2013, 04:32 PM
Lol. Between snake and rand this place is a hundred percent fun. :)

CaptainKickass
09-17-2013, 10:58 PM
Lol. Between snake and rand this place is a hundred percent fun. :)

This quote is brought to you by that one motherfucker with his own timeless theme song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjsH5mT33Pg

Fritz
09-18-2013, 06:30 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a1/Franklin.gif

Actually, Franklin was a somebody as a child. More of a backup than a featured player.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin_(Peanuts)

"In a Weekend Update commentary on a 1992 episode of Saturday Night Live, Chris Rock, who incorrectly stated that Franklin had not said a single word for 25 years, related his own childhood experience as the only black student in his grade school class."

Uh, THIS is Franklin. And he has his own show, and his own theme song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zf8t-uAzhk

This song will be in your head every time Jonathon Franklin steps on the field. If he ever does.

Iron Mike
09-18-2013, 07:36 AM
Uh, THIS is Franklin.

WRONG!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww3RAgnVOIs

Patler
09-18-2013, 07:42 AM
As for Jonathon Franklin, if the guy can't get into a game when Lacy is out, Kuhn is out, the team is up by 3 and 4 scores, Starks has had a full load of carries and there is no other back on the roster, will he ever get into a game? If they trust him that little, they should have kept someone else.

They could be without Lacy and Kuhn this week. Will they sign someone else? Cedric Benson maybe?

Upnorth
09-18-2013, 08:09 AM
As for Jonathon Franklin, if the guy can't get into a game when Lacy is out, Kuhn is out, the team is up by 3 and 4 scores, Starks has had a full load of carries and there is no other back on the roster, will he ever get into a game? If they trust him that little, they should have kept someone else.

They could be without Lacy and Kuhn this week. Will they sign someone else? Cedric Benson maybe?

Maybe we should call him roosevelt franklin. As an aside that was one of the better tangents I had seen in awhile here before someone had to bring us on to the original subject...

Harlan Huckleby
09-18-2013, 09:32 AM
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x12/goatburgler/fdr.jpg

pittstang5
09-18-2013, 10:12 AM

Bigger question....who do they cut or IR to add said RB?

pittstang5
09-18-2013, 10:16 AM

Bigger question....who do they cut or IR to add said RB? My guess...Boyd. .

Patler
09-18-2013, 10:44 AM
Bigger question....who do they cut or IR to add said RB? My guess...Boyd. .

Ross, his only value is on returns, and he has not been doing that very well.
Maybe Franklin himself, then sign him to PS if he clears waivers.

I don't know how significant their injuries are, but the most injured of Hayward, Burnett or Kuhn could be sent to IR Return.

Fritz
09-18-2013, 10:50 AM
I do wonder if Alex Green will ever get his cutting ability back. I'm wondering if the Pack gave up on him too soon. It's hard not to imagine he would've gotten at least a couple carries or passes last Sunday.

And you'd have an option for replacing Jeremy "Disappearing" Ross on kickoffs.

pittstang5
09-18-2013, 10:57 AM
Maybe cut Ross and sign McKnight. You'd have a return man and RB if Lacey and Kuhn are out. But ur down a WR.

pittstang5
09-18-2013, 11:00 AM
I don't know how significant their injuries are, but the most injured of Hayward, Burnett or Kuhn could be sent to IR Return.

Bush too.

Patler
09-18-2013, 11:01 AM
Maybe cut Ross and sign McKnight. You'd have a return man and RB if Lacey and Kuhn are out. But ur down a WR.

Has Ross even played yet on offense? I don't think he would be missed much as a WR.

Patler
09-18-2013, 11:02 AM
Bush too.

Ya, forgot about his injury.

Harlan Huckleby
09-18-2013, 12:29 PM
I do wonder if Alex Green will ever get his cutting ability back. I'm wondering if the Pack gave up on him too soon.

The sports reporters said that Alex Green was running better than they've ever seen him in training camp. We haven't really seen a health Alex Green for very long, I wonder if he isn't better than Franklin right now.

I've never been an Alex Green fan, but we are talking about the bottom of the roster, so the bar is set low.

Would Franklin and Boyd have been kept if they were undrafted free agents? Maybe. I want to believe that TT is not sentimental about his draft picks. I'm in favor of keeping players who can contribute this season, even the backups. Potential counts, but not too much.

Harlan Huckleby
09-18-2013, 12:31 PM
Has Ross even played yet on offense? I don't think he would be missed much as a WR.

I gave Ross a mulligan for the first game. But then he looked tentative and slow again. Wiffle ball rules - two strikes and you're out.

run pMc
09-18-2013, 05:20 PM
I think they'll keep Franklin, holding out hope that the game slows down for him and he provides a spark (or at least contributes) in the 2nd half of the season as legs get heavier. I expect he'll be pressed into service on Sunday though.

If both Kuhn and Lacy can't go, that's a thin RB corps. They'll hand off to Cobb if they have to. (Yuck.) I don't think they ask Benson back unless Starks gets hurt or either Kuhn or Lacy is done for the year...McCarthy might just use it as an excuse to throw the ball every down.

I'm betting Kuhn guts it out and gives the CIN game a go, knowing they have a bye coming up.

Joemailman
09-18-2013, 07:00 PM
I think they'll keep Franklin, holding out hope that the game slows down for him and he provides a spark (or at least contributes) in the 2nd half of the season as legs get heavier. I expect he'll be pressed into service on Sunday though.

If both Kuhn and Lacy can't go, that's a thin RB corps. They'll hand off to Cobb if they have to. (Yuck.) I don't think they ask Benson back unless Starks gets hurt or either Kuhn or Lacy is done for the year...McCarthy might just use it as an excuse to throw the ball every down.

I'm betting Kuhn guts it out and gives the CIN game a go, knowing they have a bye coming up.

I don't think you gut out a pulled hamstring. You don't want it to become something that will bother him all season. Pretty good chance MM plans to spread things out anyway this week, rather than trying to run at Peko and Atkins.

mission
09-18-2013, 08:35 PM
Franklin will be fine. Some of you guys are Malcolm Gladwell masters of the blink thin-slicing if you're convinced he's a bust.

(I guess the same could be said for me on the flip side)

pbmax
09-18-2013, 09:23 PM
Franklin will be fine. Some of you guys are Malcolm Gladwell masters of the blink thin-slicing if you're convinced he's a bust.

(I guess the same could be said for me on the flip side)

He just needs 10,000 hours of practice reps and he will master the task.

George Cumby
09-18-2013, 11:23 PM
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x12/goatburgler/fdr.jpg

What is it with you and Presidents in convertibles? :-D

OS PA
09-18-2013, 11:36 PM
Cincy uses Peko as a fullback, so why don't we use Jolly in the same role. That'll do without the need for Kuhn. I'm also being sarcastic.

SnakeLH2006
09-19-2013, 01:48 AM
Franklin might still turn out to be someone. Green, he's a coulda been.

Was just gonna post that... +1

Green had MANY chances. Franklin has had none.

mraynrand
09-19-2013, 07:45 AM
Cincy uses Peko as a fullback, so why don't we use Jolly in the same role. That'll do without the need for Kuhn. I'm also being sarcastic.

Pack uses Raji for that if they need to.

Maxie the Taxi
09-19-2013, 08:52 AM
Franklin has good bench karma.

Harlan Huckleby
09-19-2013, 10:14 AM
Green had MANY chances. Franklin has had none.

No, actually Green has not had many chances. He was injured or playing at 80% most of his time in GB. He looked much better physically this preseason, was cutting sharper, than he's ever shown in the past.

As always, the coaches see way more of the players than the fans. Odds are they made the right call, but from my armchair I have my doubts.

Maxie the Taxi
09-19-2013, 10:21 AM
No, actually Green has not had many chances. He was injured or playing at 80% most of his time in GB. He looked much better physically this preseason, was cutting sharper, than he's ever shown in the past.

As always, the coaches see way more of the players than the fans. Odds are they made the right call, but from my armchair I have my doubts.

I never was impressed with Green, even when he first came up. He was one of those backs you pulled for but he only showed occasional flashes. He was always too easy to bring down.

Harlan Huckleby
09-19-2013, 10:30 AM
well, now you have your preferred bruiser in Franklin.

http://www.grapplingguide.com/franklin.jpg

Patler
09-19-2013, 07:47 PM
We have no idea what Alex Green might have been like. He had just three carries before wrecking his knee as a rookie. All three came in just one game. Hardly enough to know anything about him for sure. Last year he played on a knee that wouldn't allow him to go up and down stairs.

Maxie the Taxi
09-19-2013, 09:14 PM
We have no idea what Alex Green might have been like. He had just three carries before wrecking his knee as a rookie. All three came in just one game. Hardly enough to know anything about him for sure. Last year he played on a knee that wouldn't allow him to go up and down stairs.

He played the whole preseason. Gained about a yard a carry. That was enough for me.

Harlan Huckleby
09-19-2013, 09:29 PM
Green didn't have any carries in the preseason.

Franklin had 2.2 ypc. Poor return stats in limited duty.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/statistics?season=2013&team=GB&seasonType=PRE

KYPack
09-19-2013, 09:54 PM

I know that's what that site says, but it's wrong. Green tied Franklin for the most attempts by a RB in Pre.

He had 21 carries and lead the team in ypc.

Why they don't have that in those stats, I dunno.

I think it's bc he's now on a another teams roster or something like that.

The guy never got better from that knee injury

CaptainKickass
09-19-2013, 09:58 PM
All I know is that I sure would like a surprise from someone. Maybe Franklin can do that. I don't know.

Maxie the Taxi
09-19-2013, 10:03 PM

I was talking preseason in 2011, Green's rookie year. He had 16 carries for 23 yards.

denverYooper
09-20-2013, 08:11 AM
By many accounts, Franklin works his butt off. And he played like a demon on ST. That gets him at least a year.

3irty1
09-20-2013, 10:05 AM
Running backs deserve 10 minutes of jury deliberation. They don't usually get significantly better than they already are as rookies. They might clean up some ways that they sucked, like pass pro, fumbles, or route running... but they aren't going to learn how to run. Green and Franklin are probably both turds.

Harlan Huckleby
09-20-2013, 01:56 PM
Brandon Jackson stunk as a rookie, looked like a washout. Then he picked it up and became a terrific third down back. That is the hope I have for Franklin.

Does anybody else remember Brandon Jackson's weak rookie year? My memory has a few potholes in it.

3irty1
09-20-2013, 03:06 PM
Brandon Jackson stunk as a rookie, looked like a washout. Then he picked it up and became a terrific third down back. That is the hope I have for Franklin.

Does anybody else remember Brandon Jackson's weak rookie year? My memory has a few potholes in it.

I remember it, it was also Ryan Grants breakout year in 2007. Brandon Jackson was a rosterable player but at the end of the day he was a running back who could do everything but run. That's not worth much IMO despite how good he was in pass protection. Whenever you saw him on the field you knew we'd pass.

Harlan Huckleby
09-20-2013, 03:35 PM
Until Mighty Mighty James Starks' feat last Sunday, Brandon Jackson was the last Packer running back to rush for 100 yards.

My memory is starting to return .... Jackson left GB because he wanted to be (& be paid like) a featured back. He had some running ability, not a stiff. But his strength was as a heady 3rd down back who could catch passes, pick up blitzes, and run a draw play here and there. An Edgar Bennett kinda guy.

I was very disappointed to see him leave GB, he left a hole in the offense that Kuhn really didn't fill all that well. Maybe Franklin can be a Brandon Jackson type player.

I woulda kept Green. But here's the beauty: if Green pans-out relative to Franklin, I will remind one and all of my wisdom. If Franklin comes around, I'll jump on his bandwagon. It's all good going forward.

George Cumby
09-20-2013, 04:08 PM
Until Mighty Mighty James Starks' feat last Sunday, Brandon Jackson was the last Packer running back to rush for 100 yards.

My memory is starting to return .... Jackson left GB because he wanted to be (& be paid like) a featured back. He had some running ability, not a stiff. But his strength was as a heady 3rd down back who could catch passes, pick up blitzes, and run a draw play here and there. An Edgar Bennett kinda guy.

I was very disappointed to see him leave GB, he left a hole in the offense that Kuhn really didn't fill all that well. Maybe Franklin can be a Brandon Jackson type player.

I woulda kept Green. But here's the beauty: if Green pans-out relative to Franklin, I will remind one and all of my wisdom. If Franklin comes around, I'll jump on his bandwagon. It's all good going forward.

And Jackson is on his second team, postGB? These guys leave the friendly confines looking for the big payday and then they find themselves kicking around the league like so many hobos. It would seem to make more business sense to stay in a place that you know you can be successful in, albeit at a lower pay scale, but play for longer. Then you get the added bonus of building that relationship with the community which will in turn lend itself to more opportunities post-football.

Then again, what do I know, really? It's not like I was making stellar decisions when I was 25.

packer4life
09-22-2013, 03:51 PM
Franklin looked like the second coming of Darren Sproles in the 2nd half. Obviously, then had a key fumble.

If he shakes the fumbling stupidity, this guy is gonna be as good if not better than DaJuan would be as a change-of-pace and 3rd down back.

Harlan Huckleby
09-22-2013, 04:16 PM
My man Franklin - coming through.

MJZiggy
09-22-2013, 04:18 PM
He's a slippery little dude. I like him.

Harlan Huckleby
09-22-2013, 04:19 PM

I've been a little slippery myself.

Joemailman
09-22-2013, 04:20 PM

But don't you wish he was bigger?

MJZiggy
09-22-2013, 04:20 PM
I've been a little slippery myself.
Yes, but he's slippery in a GOOD way...

Harlan Huckleby
09-22-2013, 04:21 PM
yeah, baby.

mraynrand
09-22-2013, 04:21 PM

I think they should have kept Green instead, but we shall see.

you should be ashamed of yourself. but you won't be.

red
09-22-2013, 04:23 PM
i didn't look at all like i expected him to look. i was expecting someone who looked completely lost and had no idea how to run in our system

instead i saw a very patient runner who found his own holes at time and had some nice explosion

he needs to get two hands on the ball though when he's about to get hit. however on that last jump, our line really got showed up by their d-line. a jump like that should have gotten a first down

pbmax
09-22-2013, 04:23 PM
He's 5' 10" and 205. Pretty average.

For a running back.

red
09-22-2013, 04:33 PM
He's 5' 10" and 205. Pretty average.

For a running back.

no way he's 5'10. they showed him and cobb standing side by side in the huddle and cobb was towering over him

MJZiggy
But don't you wish he was bigger?
That's like wishing Ray Rice were bigger...I'll take slippery over big.

Harlan Huckleby
you should be ashamed of yourself. but you won't be.

I left a trail of breadcrumbs back to the bandwagon.

mraynrand
09-22-2013, 04:36 PM
That's like wishing Ray Rice were bigger...I'll take slippery over big.

I guess I'm out - literally.

red
09-22-2013, 04:39 PM
.I'll take slippery over big.

i like slippery too, but isn't that really up to the female?

MJZiggy
09-22-2013, 04:56 PM
i like slippery too, but isn't that really up to the female?

Females aren't allowed in the NFL, silly.

Joemailman
09-22-2013, 05:12 PM

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb449/route25/aaronjayavatar.jpg (http://s1206.photobucket.com/user/route25/media/aaronjayavatar.jpg.html)

MJZiggy
09-22-2013, 06:04 PM
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb449/route25/aaronjayavatar.jpg (http://s1206.photobucket.com/user/route25/media/aaronjayavatar.jpg.html)

Repped.

digitaldean
09-22-2013, 08:01 PM
Franklin made something out of nothing at least 3 times. He grades at a B. Only reason not an A was the fumble. Otherwise, he was awesome.

Maxie the Taxi
09-22-2013, 08:30 PM
Franklin made something out of nothing at least 3 times. He grades at a B. Only reason not an A was the fumble. Otherwise, he was awesome.

+1

Franklin is proving his critics wrong.

packer4life
09-22-2013, 08:48 PM
Any time a new offensive player flashes "explosiveness", you take notice. He is the first new offensive skill player this year to flash. It's a good feeling.

Ross was the last new name to flash, but it was last year, and let's just say all that early optimism has kinda fizzled IMO

mmmdk
09-22-2013, 09:03 PM
Franklin looked like the second coming of Darren Sproles in the 2nd half. Obviously, then had a key fumble.

If he shakes the fumbling stupidity, this guy is gonna be as good if not better than DaJuan would be as a change-of-pace and 3rd down back.

Only real bright spot today sans the fumble. Can't wait to see him and Lacy more.

bobblehead
09-22-2013, 10:08 PM

I disagree. He made something out of missing his original cut because the OL sustained blocks in the running game at a very high level. Sadly I get what I have wanted for a long time....an OL that run blocks respectably. The sick irony is they are worse in pass protection than Clifton was at run blocking.

Pugger
09-23-2013, 10:09 AM

That might change if those female officials start doing games.

Pugger
09-23-2013, 10:12 AM
We gotta give TT props for addressing our running game even the injuries. Who would have thought 12 months ago our running game just might be one of our strengths going forward?

hoosier
09-23-2013, 12:51 PM
In retrospect TT's real decision wasn't about cutting Franklin or Green, it was about what position should take the hit so that the Packers could keep five running backs. Because you damn well know that at some point Starks is going to go down, and if Lacy turns out not to be the most durable back in the world then all of a sudden you are down to Kuhn and Franklin, which is never good. So keep Green as insurance against the inevitable injury to Starks. Hell, I would cut Crosby and forgo field goal attempts if I had to.

pbmax
09-23-2013, 12:56 PM
In retrospect TT's real decision wasn't about cutting Franklin or Green, it was about what position should take the hit so that the Packers could keep five running backs. Because you damn well know that at some point Starks is going to go down, and if Lacy turns out not to be the most durable back in the world then all of a sudden you are down to Kuhn and Franklin, which is never good. So keep Green as insurance against the inevitable injury to Starks. Hell, I would cut Crosby and forgo field goal attempts if I had to.

I think the D line and Boyd took that fifth running back. Still, four RBs is not unheard of, probably saner than the 7 O lineman last year, and its come up and bit them in the butt once. They have a week to launch tryouts and a week and a half to get two of them healthy.

Wonder if carrying Hayward while injured caused a domino effect as well?

hoosier
09-23-2013, 01:08 PM
Yeah, Boyd sounds like a likely culprit. He better be starting to resemble the 2009 Johnny Jolly in a couple of years. If Hayward were healthy I still can't seem them parting with any of their cornerbacks. Would they have kept Banjo over a fifth running back? Even if they hadn't, I would still like to think that TT would have gone out and got himself a fourth safety after the Anquan Boldin debacle.

Patler
09-23-2013, 08:26 PM
Would they have kept Banjo over a fifth running back? Even if they hadn't, I would still like to think that TT would have gone out and got himself a fourth safety after the Anquan Boldin debacle.

If Burnett had been healthy, Banjo might not have been kept, but with Burnett out they needed to keep four safeties. When Burnett is ready to play, a safety might be released (could be McMillian).

Joemailman
09-23-2013, 08:34 PM
If Burnett had been healthy, Banjo might not have been kept, but with Burnett out they needed to keep four safeties. When Burnett is ready to play, a safety might be released (could be McMillian).

I think they always preferred to have 4 safeties. They brought in Banjo when Sean Richardson couldn't pass his physical. I think they'll keep 4 at least for a while in case Burnett's hamstring flares up again.

Patler
09-23-2013, 10:57 PM
I think they always preferred to have 4 safeties. They brought in Banjo when Sean Richardson couldn't pass his physical. I think they'll keep 4 at least for a while in case Burnett's hamstring flares up again.

Typically, they do; but at times they have gone with just 3 when the third safety is not a regular part of their defensive packages. The fourth safety is not likely to be active for games then anyway, so unless he is a development guy, he doesn't serve much purpose. The three have to be healthy, and you need another game day active player who has some experience at safety, like Bush, but he is dinged up, too.

However, looking at this year, they have had only three safeties available anyway, so when Burnett is clearly healthy, the fourth is sort of extra baggage, especially after Hayward returns, because Williams, Shields, House, Hayward, Burnett, Jennings and probably Hyde will be the first guys in. The key might be whether they see Banjo or McMillian as development guys, or just players who are what they will be. One might be enough.

mraynrand
09-23-2013, 11:03 PM
I love how injuries make us talk about the fifth running back on the depth chart. Almost as exciting as talking about year four incentives for potential free agents the Packers won't sign in early March.

packer4life
09-24-2013, 12:15 AM
Any time a new offensive player flashes "explosiveness", you take notice. He is the first new offensive skill player this year to flash. It's a good feeling.

Ross was the last new name to flash, but it was last year, and let's just say all that early optimism has kinda fizzled IMO

And cut. I'll admit I was high on Ross this year. Ouch, what a fall.

hoosier
09-24-2013, 08:06 AM
I love how injuries make us talk about the fifth running back on the depth chart.

Seeing Jeremy Ross lining up in the backfield will do that to a person.

Pugger
09-24-2013, 09:51 AM

I'm not worried about Lacy's durability. He played thru bumps and bruises in college and he got a concussion because of that goon Merriweather. I think they kept Lacy out as a precaution and he'll be running over DBs in 2 weeks.

steve823
09-24-2013, 12:32 PM
Might've been a good thing that there were some injuries at the RB position. Franklin got to showcase his skills, so hopefully we can get a lacy-franklin combo in the future.

Patler
09-24-2013, 01:17 PM
I say trade him while there might be interest!!

mraynrand
09-24-2013, 02:19 PM
I say trade him while there might be interest!!

We were just a week off - maybe the Colts see the Bengals game and offer their number one - oh, wait, I forgot about that game-ending fumble...