PDA

View Full Version : Dashon Goldson NOT suspended

Patler
09-18-2013, 10:52 AM
Suspension overturned. $100K fine.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000246566/article/dashon-goldsons-suspension-overturned-fined-100k

Patler
09-18-2013, 10:55 AM
Interesting that the hearing officer who overturned it, jointly paid by the league and players union, is former player Matt Birk.

QBME
09-18-2013, 12:48 PM
Interesting that the hearing officer who overturned it, jointly paid by the league and players union, is former player Matt Birk.

Perhaps a bit of irony? The ruling is over turned by someone with fuzzy judgement skills caused by one to many pops to the noggin.

Guiness
09-18-2013, 01:16 PM
wow, why? I thought the NFL was trying to send a message here, and Gholston seems like the deserving poster child.

mraynrand
09-18-2013, 01:30 PM
wow, why? I thought the NFL was trying to send a message here, and Gholston seems like the deserving poster child.

Message sent, message received. Don't expect defenders to ease up at all.

red
09-18-2013, 02:34 PM
yup, the big rule that the NFL has been pushing all offseason has just been officially shit all over

pbmax
09-18-2013, 02:54 PM
Serious question: several players, Goldson, Merriweather, etc. keep being referred to as "repeat" offenders. But crown of helmet rule is new. So what is being repeated?

mraynrand
09-18-2013, 03:13 PM
Serious question: several players, Goldson, Merriweather, etc. keep being referred to as "repeat" offenders. But crown of helmet rule is new. So what is being repeated?

Why did they make the rule? To stop Goldson, Merriweather, etc. Now it looks like they just made the rule to look like they care about concussions, and to add some cash to the NFL play60 campaign or some other such nonsense.

CaptainKickass
09-18-2013, 03:20 PM
Why did they make the rule? To stop Goldson, Merriweather, etc. Now it looks like they just made the rule to look like they care about concussions, and to add some cash to the NFL play60 campaign or some other such nonsense.

To find a true intention - one must look first at the results.

mraynrand
09-18-2013, 05:14 PM
I'm hedging my view just a bit. Those fines are getting high enough to have a bite. But without suspensions, you're not reaching the coaches and GMs who promote or accept some of these techniques that the NFL ostensibly wants out of the game.

red
09-18-2013, 05:20 PM
i had a new idea while on the can last night

if a player head hunts and takes out another player for any amount of time

take draft picks away from the team. if you knock a player out for the year, they get a good pick, maybe 3rd or 4th. if they just miss a game or two, start with the 7th rounder. next time a player breaks the rule, you take the next pick up, the 6h, etc

let the teams and the coaches deal with the asshole players. if they don't clean up their shit, no one will be able to employ them

pbmax
09-18-2013, 05:43 PM
red is on to something here. The part that worries me about Goodell's approach is that it centers on players.

Football coaches encourage players to take it up to the line and dance on it until someone calls foul. And that is the above board ones. The below board one's are cheating like a NASCAR crew chief trying to squeeze every possible edge out of ignoring a rule until called on it.

There should be a quota for the teams and if they cross it is should cost the team or coach money as well.

swede
09-18-2013, 07:30 PM
red is on to something here. The part that worries me about Goodell's approach is that it centers on players.

Football coaches encourage players to take it up to the line and dance on it until someone calls foul. And that is the above board ones. The below board one's are cheating like a NASCAR crew chief trying to squeeze every possible edge out of ignoring a rule until called on it.

There should be a quota for the teams and if they cross it is should cost the team or coach money as well.

Rand mentioned that the Seahawks d backs simply hold and grab on every play, daring the refs to ruin the game with a laundry-fest. The highlights I saw seemed to celebrate how they screwed with Boldin and got away with it. The thing is, you guys all suggest things that make sense, but the integrity of the game hangs by a whistle in the hands of overweight part-time help. Even rodeo clowns are full time.

mraynrand
09-18-2013, 08:12 PM
Even rodeo clowns are full time.

not Tuffy the Clown!

http://esg6rzdhdg9i115s.zippykid.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/tuffy-gessling-obama-mask.jpg

out of work, banned for life!