PDA

View Full Version : Packers Trade James Jones for NE's 2014 First Round Pick

mraynrand
09-20-2013, 08:39 AM
Not really. But would you do it? Browns trade TR for Colt's #1. Why not trade in Jones to a team that desperately needs a WR, and get a great value pick in next year's draft. Who cares about this season? Pack already lost to the 49ers once, probably will in the playoffs, so why not build for the future?

Pugger
09-20-2013, 08:46 AM
No. If NE wins their division - and they probably will - that pick won't be appreciably higher than ours and besides Jordy and Randall our WR corps isn't that stellar. Now if a team that will most likely pick in the top 10 make inquiries then that might be worth considering.

George Cumby
09-20-2013, 08:51 AM
Fucker.

mraynrand
09-20-2013, 09:06 AM
Fucker.

:)

denverYooper
09-20-2013, 09:17 AM
Fucker.

We were all thinking it.

denverYooper
09-20-2013, 09:21 AM
No. If NE wins their division - and they probably will - that pick won't be appreciably higher than ours and besides Jordy and Randall our WR corps isn't that stellar. Now if a team that will most likely pick in the top 10 make inquiries then that might be worth considering.

Bienvenido a Miami, el hogar de los campeones de la AFC Norte.

Patler
09-20-2013, 09:23 AM
I would not make that trade.

The Packers have a legitimate shot at the SB this year. If Jones and Perry develop and Neal grows in his new role, when Burnett and Hayward return the defense could improve significantly as the year progresses. Trading Jones would weaken the offense considerably, and would put them one injury away being weak at WR.

This offense needs 3 very good WRs at a minimum, which makes me wonder where they will be next year if Jones goes elsewhere in free agency. At least next year they have the opportunity to bring in a draft pick, have a year of development in Charles Johnson and Myles White, etc.

Maxie the Taxi
09-20-2013, 09:26 AM

The Packers have a legitimate shot at the SB this year. If Jones and Perry develop and Neal grows in his new role, when Burnett and Hayward return the defense could improve significantly as the year progresses. Trading Jones would weaken the offense considerably, and would put them one injury away being weak at WR.

This offense needs 3 very good WRs at a minimum, which makes me wonder where they will be next year if Jones goes elsewhere in free agency. At least next year they have the opportunity to bring in a draft pick, have a year of development in Charles Johnson and Myles White, etc.

No worries. By next year Alex Gillett will be a beast...bigger, faster and stronger!

KYPack
09-20-2013, 09:42 AM

AFC Este,

Norte is Bengal, Brown, Steel and Raven-land.

denverYooper
09-20-2013, 09:43 AM
AFC Este,

Norte is Bengal, Brown, Steel and Raven-land.

Whoops. Forgot my compass.

Smidgeon
09-20-2013, 09:45 AM
No worries. By next year Alex Gillett will be a beast...bigger, faster and stronger!

But would he be tougher?

KYPack
09-20-2013, 09:51 AM
Whoops. Forgot my compass.

Haha.

AND...

A cyber whack upside the head of Rand with a dead fish for the scary heading on this thread.

Poor form, Big Boy.

Patler
09-20-2013, 09:51 AM

Considering that neither GB nor any other NFL team has seen fit to add him to their practice squad, I think his best opportunity passed when the Packers released him.

Johnson is the guy I will be anxious to see next TC. I wish we could have seen more of him this year.

3irty1
09-20-2013, 09:56 AM
Jones is a move-the-chains guy and we've already got a plethora of that guy on our offense. Cobb, Finley, and Boykin are all similar in that they all will have high catch numbers and lack deep speed. That said, I'd keep James Jones rather than make that trade.

There is a really good chance that the superbowl goes through Seattle this year and James Jones will be key to such a game because among all of our receivers he's the only one that gets off of press at an elite level and will be instrumental to us being competitive. JJ is often compared to Boldin and I don't think its any coincidence that SF decided to take on Boldin's contract at the cost of losing some of their own to the cap. Sure he didn't help them not get blown out against the Seahawks, but had they had Crabtree it could have been a much different story. We've got more options than Seattle has got probowl corners and I'd feel really good if one of those options was Jones.

hoosier
09-20-2013, 10:43 AM
Jones is a move-the-chains guy and we've already got a plethora of that guy on our offense. Cobb, Finley, and Boykin are all similar in that they all will have high catch numbers and lack deep speed. That said, I'd keep James Jones rather than make that trade.

There is a really good chance that the superbowl goes through Seattle this year and James Jones will be key to such a game because among all of our receivers he's the only one that gets off of press at an elite level and will be instrumental to us being competitive. JJ is often compared to Boldin and I don't think its any coincidence that SF decided to take on Boldin's contract at the cost of losing some of their own to the cap. Sure he didn't help them not get blown out against the Seahawks, but had they had Crabtree it could have been a much different story. We've got more options than Seattle has got probowl corners and I'd feel really good if one of those options was Jones.

Not to nitpick or anything, but I don't see Jones and Cobb as having comparable skills. Cobb is both faster and much quicker than any of the receivers you mention. Boykin might be a potential replacement down the road, or he might turn out to be Tori Gurley II, we don't know. I do, however, agree with the important question: no way would I trade Jones to the Patriots.

Guiness
09-20-2013, 10:53 AM
I'm not as quick to walk away from that deal as others...from a GM position, a first round pick for a former third rounder who's going into FA looking for his third contract after the season? Pretty hard to turn that down, there's a 50-50 change at best that he's back as it is. Weighed against the fact that he might be an important piece of an SB run though makes it tougher than it should be. No, I guess I don't make that.

To all those who came within 10' of getting fooled by the thread title...really?

HarveyWallbangers
09-20-2013, 10:53 AM
Quite honestly, I'd probably do that trade--unless the Pack thinks they have a great chance at signing James long-term. You'd have to seriously think about trading a solid #2 receiver who is in the final year of his contract for a 1st round pick. Boykin could probably do most of what Jones does. New England wouldn't do it though, so it's pure fantasy.

MadScientist
09-20-2013, 10:58 AM
Browns are better off totally tanking this year. They not only get the Colts #1, but they are making their own #1 even better. TR was not enough to build around so it makes sense.
Trading Jones, even for a #1 just doesn't make enough of a win for the Packers, and the Packers still have a legitimate chance this year.

3irty1
09-20-2013, 11:06 AM
Not to nitpick or anything, but I don't see Jones and Cobb as having comparable skills. Cobb is both faster and much quicker than any of the receivers you mention. Boykin might be a potential replacement down the road, or he might turn out to be Tori Gurley II, we don't know. I do, however, agree with the important question: no way would I trade Jones to the Patriots.

I agree that they are not very similar as players but my point is that there are only so many balls to go around so it starts to matter what you can do with each catch. My comparison between all of those guys is how much damage they can do with each catch. A guy who can burn you deep like Jordy can rack up 1,000 yards on just 65 catches. Nobody else on the team will be able to achieve that kind of efficiency. At some point you get diminishing returns on guys like Jones and Cobb. When we had a healthy Jennings and Jordy at the same time in 2011 though we had 2 guys who could stretch the D and make the most of their 65 catches and subsequently made it rain.

Patler
09-20-2013, 11:25 AM
Has Boykin even played the first two weeks other than on STs? MM doesn't seem to be making any effort to work him into the rotation like he did with 4 and 5 receivers in previous years. That tells me that Boykin is no more than a capable backup who should see the field only when necessary.

Worrying about getting value for Jones now because he MIGHT leave in free agency NEXT year is an afterthought to the primary objective of winning a Super Bowl this year. This isn't the same as last year when they still had Jennings (ignoring the injury), or as two years ago when they also had a somewhat capable Driver. It could be argued that in those years they had more deserving players than available playing time at WR. That's not the case now. Boykin is fine for a 4th or 5th receiver on the team; but the Packers have no where near the WR depth that they have had in the past.

Both Nelson and Cobb have a bit of an injury history, including missing most of the past preseason. If you trade Jones and one of Cobb or Nelson goes out you are left with Boykin and Ross both playing more than they should. If both were to go down at the same time, the offense changes dramatically.

George Cumby
09-20-2013, 11:40 AM
I'm with Patler. The Pack is loaded to win now, this season.

Furthermore, I think TT extends JJ this season. The issues he used to have with ball security seem to have been solved with Bennett as his position coach. He is a solid, big and strong receiver who makes really tough catches. He's worth holding onto and I don't think he'll break the bank.

mraynrand
09-20-2013, 12:08 PM
A cyber whack upside the head of Rand with a dead fish for the scary heading on this thread.

Poor form, Big Boy.

I will assume that this chicanery will leave no lasting emotional scars on you and the rest of Packerrats. Just having some fun playing off the TR to Colts trade. Remember our watchwords: bigger, tougher, stronger!

mraynrand
09-20-2013, 12:10 PM
New England wouldn't do it though, so it's pure fantasy.

probably not, but they did work out some true NFL dross this week.

Pugger
09-20-2013, 01:20 PM

Huh?

Pugger
09-20-2013, 01:22 PM

He was talking about trading JAMES Jones, not Brad.

KYPack
09-20-2013, 01:28 PM
Huh?

Pugsly,

it's Welcome to Miami, the Home of the AFC North Champions.

Yoop meant AFC East, but evidently they don't have globes in Denver, so he fubared.

Brandon494
09-20-2013, 01:38 PM
I think that would be even worse then the Browns/Colts trade. We have a shot at winning it all this year, Browns didn't even have a shot at reaching a .500 record. Even if we were to lose Jones in FA you have to remember TT is a master at drafting WR talent so I trust he would be able to find a replacement. Also its the Pats 1st round draft pick which is really just an early 2nd and after the game Jones just had against the Skins why are we even talking about this? haha

Brandon494
09-20-2013, 01:42 PM
I would mind if TT decided to trade a pick to the Browns for their starting SS TJ Ward though.

Harlan Huckleby
09-20-2013, 01:57 PM
I wasn't fooled.

Pugger
09-20-2013, 02:23 PM
Pugsly,

it's Welcome to Miami, the Home of the AFC North Champions.

Yoop meant AFC East, but evidently they don't have globes in Denver, so he fubared.

Was that Spanish? It's been a while. :lol:

Patler
09-20-2013, 02:46 PM

This offense needs 3 very good WRs at a minimum, which makes me wonder where they will be next year if Jones goes elsewhere in free agency. At least next year they have the opportunity to bring in a draft pick, have a year of development in Charles Johnson and Myles White, etc.He was talking about trading JAMES Jones, not Brad.

Yes, I know he meant trading JAMES Jones.
....and, FYI, I was not referring to development of BRAD Jones.
Apparently all the Jones have you confused, so I will rewrite my comment below with clarification:

I would not make that trade (of James Jones).

The Packers have a legitimate shot at the SB this year. If Datone Jones and Perry develop and Neal grows in his new role, when Burnett and Hayward return the defense could improve significantly as the year progresses. Trading JamesJones would weaken the offense considerably, and would put them one injury away being weak at WR.

This offense needs 3 very good WRs at a minimum, which makes me wonder where they will be next year if JamesJones goes elsewhere in free agency. At least next year they have the opportunity to bring in a draft pick, have a year of development in Charles Johnson and Myles White, etc.

:lol::lol::lol:

mraynrand
09-20-2013, 03:00 PM
I wasn't fooled.

another first!

KYPack
09-20-2013, 03:24 PM
Was that Spanish? It's been a while. :lol:

Si.

CaptainKickass
09-20-2013, 03:25 PM
....and, FYI, I was mot referring to development of BRAD Jones.
Apparently all the Jones have you confused, so I will rewrite my comment below with clarification:

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/Patlerized.jpg

Bossman641
09-20-2013, 04:21 PM
No fucking way would I trade James Jones. This offense needs 3 quality WR's to be firing on all cylinders. Even if you think Boykin could replace Jones, that puts us one injury away from Ross playing significant WR minutes. PASS!!!

King Friday
09-20-2013, 07:38 PM
The Packers are not the Browns. We aren't trading away known NFL-caliber talent for the crap shoot that is a draft pick.

MJZiggy
09-20-2013, 07:57 PM
We were all thinking it. Nah, I learned a while ago not to trust thread titles from you people.

hoosier
09-20-2013, 09:25 PM
I agree that they are not very similar as players but my point is that there are only so many balls to go around so it starts to matter what you can do with each catch. My comparison between all of those guys is how much damage they can do with each catch. A guy who can burn you deep like Jordy can rack up 1,000 yards on just 65 catches. Nobody else on the team will be able to achieve that kind of efficiency. At some point you get diminishing returns on guys like Jones and Cobb. When we had a healthy Jennings and Jordy at the same time in 2011 though we had 2 guys who could stretch the D and make the most of their 65 catches and subsequently made it rain.

Yes, there are only so many balls, but there is a huge difference between having three or four receivers the defense has to worry about on the field, vs. less than three. Replace Jones with Boykin and all of a sudden Nelson, Cobb and Finley will start seeing more attention. And if one of them goes down, most defenses will be able to account for the remaining two. The current corps of receivers makes the Packers much more difficult to defend.

Bretsky
09-20-2013, 09:55 PM
Quite honestly, I'd probably do that trade--unless the Pack thinks they have a great chance at signing James long-term. You'd have to seriously think about trading a solid #2 receiver who is in the final year of his contract for a 1st round pick. Boykin could probably do most of what Jones does. New England wouldn't do it though, so it's pure fantasy.

What Harvey Said
I take the 1st and Run with it

Bretsky
09-21-2013, 06:16 AM
Gotta admit....this deal really had me stoked.....this of the Wr's Tom Brady has made look realy really good....David Givens....Branch......they went elsewhere, got rich, and were very average. I think JJ is great for us...but I don't think he's first round talent and I really think TT will choose to pay Jorday and Cobb over James Jones

RashanGary
09-21-2013, 06:51 AM
I heart this offense with james jones in it. AR is in his absolute prime right now. Jordy is amazing on the outside, Cobb amazing inside, Finley more complete and lacy/healthy starks helps us run. Jones is another legit weapon for us. Bahk and barclay are good hands players, solid run blockers outside and can pass pro too. Its just a very complete offense right now. We can play the same 5 skill players in just about every situation. No huddle is dynamite. Would hate to have to go back to more subbing.

That said, I like 1st round picks. Clay and Aaron were first round picks (late). Would be nice to have two next year. i was intrigued.

bobblehead
09-21-2013, 07:33 AM
....and, FYI, I was not referring to development of BRAD Jones.

I do try and keep up with the joneses, but its not easy.

Pugger
09-21-2013, 09:36 AM
http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/Patlerized.jpg

It isn't the first nor will it be the last. :lol:

Willard
09-21-2013, 11:22 AM
Has Boykin even played the first two weeks other than on STs? MM doesn't seem to be making any effort to work him into the rotation like he did with 4 and 5 receivers in previous years. That tells me that Boykin is no more than a capable backup who should see the field only when necessary.
detailed answer in Wilde column: http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=9781&is_corp=1

Our Big 3 have all been on the field for 109 of the Pack's 128 offensive plays. Ross & Boykin have a combined 4 plays on offense. The Pack O is almost always 3WR, 1TE, 1RB so far this year.

mraynrand
09-21-2013, 01:16 PM
I heart this offense with james jones in it. AR is in his absolute prime right now. Jordy is amazing on the outside, Cobb amazing inside, Finley more complete and lacy/healthy starks helps us run. Jones is another legit weapon for us. Bahk and barclay are good hands players, solid run blockers outside and can pass pro too. Its just a very complete offense right now. We can play the same 5 skill players in just about every situation. No huddle is dynamite. Would hate to have to go back to more subbing.

That said, I like 1st round picks. Clay and Aaron were first round picks (late). Would be nice to have two next year. i was intrigued.

The future's so bright, I have to wear shades.