PDA

View Full Version : ND72 Mock Draft

ND72
04-12-2006, 10:22 PM
OK guys, i figured since i'm so nicely welcomed, i'd share the mock draft i made last week. I'm currently working on a 2 rounder, hopefully will be done next week with that. share some thoughts...

1.Houston Texans – Reggie Bush, RB USC
Houston stays put at the #1 pick, and takes the overall top player in the draft. Personally, I’d trade down and get the LT of the future in D’Brickashaw Ferguson. But I don’t see anyone wanting to trade up anymore, so they take the top player in the draft in Reggie Bush.

2.New Orleans Sains – D’Brickashaw Ferguson, OT Virginia
When you sign your franchise QB, you then draft your franchise LT to protect his butt.

3.Tennessee Titans – Matt Leinart, QB USC
Pretty simple choice here. Norm Chow + Matt Leinart = Happy Coach Fischer. Titans can’t pass up the guy who led Norm Chow’s offense to success before.

4.New York Jets – Mario Williams, DE NC State
With the trade of John Abraham, they replace that spot with the top rated DE on the board, and he just happens to be a potential freak.

5.Green Bay Packers – AJ Hawk, LB Ohio State
Green Bay’s defense is starving for a playmaker, and a hitter. You get 2 in 1 with AJ Hawk. With Hawk next to Barnett and behind newly aquired DT Ryan Pickett, the middle of the Packer defense should be stronger than it has in years.

6.San Francisco 49ers – Vernon Davis, TE Maryland
AJ Hawk is a huge possibility with Green Bay trading down, but with their pick last year of Alex Smith, they have to do something now to help their young player. The answer, take the top offensive playmaker available, and that is the athletic TE from Maryland Vernon Davis.

7.Oakland Raiders – Vince Young, QB Texas
This is completely an Al Davis pick. Potentially one of the best QB’s in the draft, with a huge arm. The potential that Vince Young could become, is too much for the Raiders to pass up. Davis likes the big armed Texan.

8.Buffalo Bills – Haloti Ngata, DT Oregon
The Bills have spent the entire off-season so far looking for run stoppers and DT’s. After signing Larry Tripplett, they find the other half by drafting Ngata.

9.Detroit Lions - Michael Huff, S Texas
Detroit battles for a while thinking of taking Cutler here, but GM Matt Millen decides he can live with the 2 free agent QB’s, Jon Kitna and Josh McNown. McNown could be the future QB for the Lions, so he gets to sit and learn from Kitna. And instead they take the top defensive player available and find a gem in Michael Huff.

10.Arizona Cardinals – Jay Cutler, QB Vandy
Even though they just signed Kurt Warner to a large deal, everyone in the desert knows Arizona is just a retirement community as of now, and need to add some youth for the future of their franchise. Jay Cutler will get the chance to sit back for a year or so, and learn behind the former MVP.

11.St. Louis Rams – Tamba Hali, DE Penn St.
All St. Louis did this off-season is lose top defensive players, so they have a need to draft a top defensive player in Tamba Hali and add some pressure to opposing QB’s.

12.Cleveland Browns – Ernie Sims, LB FSU
Romeo is starving for LB’s, so he takes maybe the most athletic LB in the draft in Ernie Sims. Ernie will play an OLB in Romeo’s 3-4, and could easily turn out to be the next Jerry Porter.

13.Baltimore Ravens – Winston Justice, OT USC
Baltimore NEEDS some younger offensive lineman. And Winston Justice will be a nice piece at RT for the Ravens. Ravens have a gapping whole at RT, so he steps in as their starter day 1.

14.Philadelphia Eagles – LenDale White, RB USC
Philly has Westbrook, now they want a between the tackles pounder, and LenDale White falls into their hands at number 14.

15.Denver Broncos – Chad Jackson, WR Florida
Mike Shanahan wants some new WR in Denver, and with the trade with Atlanta, he’s able to land the top rising prospect in the draft in Chad Jackson.

16.Miami Dolphins – Chad Greenway, LB Iowa
Offense would probably be a necessity for Miami, but it’s hard to pass up a LB that will help the youth movement and growth in Miami.

17.Minnesota Vikings – Jimmy Williams, CB Va. Tech
Minnesota is beyond thrilled that Jimmy Williams falls to them. Williams with Top 10 potential, but the need for Williams isn’t sought until Minnesota pulls the trigger on him at #17. Big pick by the Vikes.

18.Dallas Cowboys – Marcus McNeil, OT Auburn
Cowboys look to solidify their offense by adding an OT to help protect Drew Bledsoe, to get the ball out to T.O.

19.San Diego Chargers – Santonio Holmes, WR Ohio State
San Diego want weapons to help their newly crowned starting Quarterback Phillip Rivers, and they get one with the drafting of Santonio Holmes.

20.Kansas City Chiefs – Tye Hill, CB Clemson
Kansas City keeps with their pursuit of continually improving their defense by adding another CB.

21.New England Patriots – Laurence Maroney, RB Minnesota
Patriots look to ungrade their RB position, or add more depth to their Defense. With Laurence Maroney sitting on the board still at #21, he’s too good to pass up. Plus Maroney runs very similar in styles as Corey Dillion. Maroney can split time and learn with Dillion before he becomes the full time starter.

22.Denver Broncos – DeAngelo Williams, RB Memphis
Denver had hopes of adding 2 offensive threats, and they get maybe the 2 biggest in the draft. With the top WR Chad Jackson at 15, DeAngelo Williams fall to them at 22. DeAngleo might be the best running back in this draft, but stays highly unnoticed with the USC boys.

23.Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Bobby Carpenter, LB Ohio State
Tampa looks to upgrade and add some youth to their slowly aging defense, and add Bobby Carpenter to play on the strong side opposite Derrick Brooks.

24.Cincinnati Bengals – Brodrick Bunkley, DT FSU
Cincinnati wants some size and ability in the interior of their defensive line, and go with Brodrick Bunkley, the quickly rising DT to help take some blockers away from rookie sensation Odell Thurman.

25.New York Giants – Darnell Bing, S USC
While the Giants are looking to upgrade their LB’s, all the top LB’s they want are gone at this point, and decide they can add a Safety that plays like a linebacker in Darnell Bing.

26.Chicago Bears – Marcedes Lewis, TE UCLA
No secret here, Bears want and need a TE. The have the QB in Grossman, they have 2 RB’s in Thomas and Benson, they have WR’s in Mushin and Bradley who looked good until getting hurt, and they have a solid OL. What they don’t have is a TE, welcome the new Marcedes to Chicago.

27.Carolina Panthers – Rod Wright, DT Texas
Injuries and age have hurt the Panthers interior defensive line the past couple seasons. Rod Wright is a large, agile man who has the potential to become a very solid and very good DT for the Panthers for years to come.

28.Jacksonville Jaguars – Demeco Ryans, LB Alabama
When your head coach is a former LB, he would love nothing more than to add the extremely athletic and talented Demeco Ryans. He, again, is one of those guys who sits kind of under radar, but can have a huge effect on the NFL, and the Jags.

29.New York Jets – Nick Mangold, C Ohio State
The next area of business the Jets address is their offensive line, by taking the top rated Center, Nick Mangold.

30.Indianapolis Colts – Thomas Howard, LB UTEP
Indy passes at a RB at this point to continue to help their defense by adding a speedster at LB in Thomas Howard. Howard easily fits the Colts defensive system and his athletic ability is what Tony Dungy loves in a LB.

31.Seattle Seahawks – Max Jean-Gilles, OG Georgia
Losing Hutchinson hurt their offense big time, so they draft the top guard in the draft. Jean-Gilles is a very solid player who should be able to step into Hutchinson’s empty spot on the first day of training camp.

32.Pittsburgh Steelers – Mathias Kiwanuka, DE Boston College
Steelers see they don’t have the solid true pass rushing DE, instead using their LB’s for pass rush. This gives them the opportunity to get a true pass rusher at the DE position and place him opposite Jerry Porter and get pressure coming on both sides.

There are some things i already look at and go, what? but this is what i have for now.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-12-2006, 10:30 PM
Michael Huff in bold do to importance, is the Randy Moss of defense. Passing him up for Hawk would be like passing Moss for Holliday. If Thompson does not draft Huff, Polar Bear should pray Detriot doesnt draft the S/CB, Ed Reed/Deion Sanders clone. Huff would eat up the Pack offense the way Moss did the defense.

In conclusion, the Polar Bear MUST draft Michael Huff.Period.

Bretsky
04-12-2006, 10:33 PM
Michael Huff in bold do to importance, is the Randy Moss of defense. Passing him up for Hawk would be like passing Moss for Holliday. If Thompson does not draft Huff, Polar Bear should pray Detriot doesnt draft the S/CB, Ed Reed/Deion Sanders clone. Huff would eat up the Pack offense the way Moss did the defense.

In conclusion, the Polar Bear MUST draft Michael Huff.Period.

Huff will be ok, but will not have the impact of AJ Hawk. Huff can be had with pick #8

ND72
04-12-2006, 10:34 PM
if we trade down, my guess is Hawk would be gone, and i would LOVE to have Huff then, and add a couple more picks.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-12-2006, 10:36 PM
Huff will be ok, but will not have the impact of AJ Hawk. Huff can be had with pick #8

Disagree. Michael Huff will be great. Huff can do everything Hawk can and more. The same cannot be said about Hawk.

Deputy Nutz
04-12-2006, 10:38 PM
Hey Tank, How did I know you were going to say that?

You're sort of a broken record.

Do you keep saying it in hopes that people will start to agree with you?

Bretsky
04-12-2006, 10:38 PM

Disagree. Michael Huff will be great. Huff can do everything Hawk can and more. The same cannot be said about Hawk.

HOW MUCH have you watched Huff in College and Hawk in college ???

Anti-Polar Bear
04-12-2006, 11:33 PM

No, Nutz, I say it because that's the way I see it. I can honestly tell you, I knew Moss was gonna be great coming out of college. Ron Wolf never listened. You don't want the same thing to happen again, do you?

Anti-Polar Bear
04-12-2006, 11:36 PM

HOW MUCH have you watched Huff in College and Hawk in college ???

Well, I saw about two Texas games (against UCLA and the Rose Bowl) and two OSU games (both against Wisconsin) and I saw Huff dominating all over the feild, whereas Hawk was invisible.

HarveyWallbangers
04-13-2006, 01:16 AM
I like our starting safeties. We have Barnett, Taylor, and Thomas projected as starters at LB. I'll take the LB when the ratings are similar.

ND72
04-13-2006, 07:58 AM
[quote]

Well, I saw about two Texas games (against UCLA and the Rose Bowl) and two OSU games (both against Wisconsin) and I saw Huff dominating all over the feild, whereas Hawk was invisible.

Hawk was invisible??? OMG. the 4 games i saw of Hawk last year he dominated every game. vs. texas, he had 12 tackles 1 sack and 2 ints...vs. ND he had 14 tackles 2 sacks, 1 int and 1 forced fumble. i think i totaled up the tackles i saw him have in 4 games as 52, with 5 sacks and 4 ints....that's in 4 games. I'll take that as a LB in a season, especially in college.

Sparkey
04-13-2006, 08:51 AM
Bunkley will never fall as far as you have him listed too fall. St Louis or Philadelphia will draft him.

The Rams lost Pickett to GB and the Eagles have been struggling to improve the middfle of their D-line for two years now.

Also, I dont think Tamba Hali goes that high, he will slide down into the late first round at best.

Deputy Nutz
04-13-2006, 09:09 AM

No, Nutz, I say it because that's the way I see it. I can honestly tell you, I knew Moss was gonna be great coming out of college. Ron Wolf never listened. You don't want the same thing to happen again, do you?

Everyone knew that Moss was going to be damn good coming out of college, trust me that was no out of the box thinking on your part. He fell because nobody wanted to deal with his immaturity, which we all saw plenty of in Minnesota, and that was the reason he was traded. Next your going to say the same thing about Warren Sapp, everyone knew he had talent but his behavior was suspect.

Huff is a good football player.

So you watched two Badgers and Buckeye games, neither one of them in Hawks senior year, and I am sure that you had your eyes glued to Hawk the whole game, especially when you were watching your hometown team.

So let it be known and let it be said, Anti-Polar Bear really really likes Mike Huff.

HarveyWallbangers
04-13-2006, 01:29 PM
Instant impact
Don Banks, SI.com

Two weeks before the draft, almost everyone looks like a potential impact player. But history tells us that the reality will be far different come fall. Few rookies will truly help turn their teams' fortunes in 2006. For every Shawne Merriman, Lofa Tatupu, Carnell Williams or Kyle Orton, there will be a bevy of disappointments like Cedric Benson, Braylon Edwards, Troy Williamson and J.J. Arrington.

Who are the collegiate prospects best positioned to make their presence felt right away? We talked to league personnel men, coaches and even last year's NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year, the Chargers' Merriman, to try to identify this year's Shawne Merriman. Here are the elite eight:

• Vernon Davis, tight end, Maryland: It's no surprise that the first name out of Merriman's mouth was that of Davis, his former Terrapins teammate and the talk of this year's NFL Scouting Combine thanks to his freakish workout.

"I know his work ethic, and that's going to help him separate himself in the NFL,'' Merriman told SI.com this week. "In this league as a rookie, everything gets thrown at you very fast, but it's how much time you're willing to put in and learn that gets you ahead of the curve. Vernon will do what it takes to be a difference maker.''

Size, speed and athleticism are Davis' calling cards, and his skills conjure up comparisons to Antonio Gates and Tony Gonzalez. But at least one club personnel man I talked to sounded a cautionary tone regarding Davis, who likely won't make it past No. 6 (San Francisco).

"He'll be productive in the passing game right away,'' the personnel man said, "because he's so athletically gifted. But he's a bit one-dimensional. He's going to be a train wreck if anyone has to rely on him as a blocker. He's not good at it and has no interest in it. If he has to stay in as a blocker, he's going to be a problem.''

Then again, if Davis finds the end zone enough times, chances are his new team will forgive deficiencies in his blocking.

• Ernie Sims, linebacker, Florida State: Sims has risen steadily in first-round projections this offseason, and he's now considered a top 15 pick. The team that gets him will have one of the early favorites for defensive rookie of the year, because Sims will roll up the kind of statistics that garner votes in that particular horse race.

"People love his speed, range and athleticism,'' a longtime personnel man said. "He's going to get you seven or eight tackles a game and make some big plays. That's how Merriman and Tatupu did it last year. They made you notice them by being around the ball so much.''

Said Merriman of Sims: "He's already got an NFL-style game. He gets to the ball and he's a relentless player. To make a play when it's coming right at you is pretty easy. But a guy like him can go sideline to sideline and make plays all over the field. That's what NFL teams want, a guy who gets to the ball.''

• Laurence Maroney, running back, Minnesota: First off, our apologies to USC's Reggie Bush, whose impact potential is so obvious it seems redundant to even point it out at this late date. But after Bush goes No. 1 overall to Houston, which first-round running back has the best chance to pay early dividends? Folks I talked to like Maroney, who is thought of as either the third- or fourth-highest-rated ballcarrier in this year's draft.

"I think he's going to be a shocker to a lot of people,'' Merriman said. "I think he'll come out and perform right away. He reminds me a whole lot of Edgerrin James. He's a complete back who can do a little bit of everything and get it done for you.''

One personnel man said he has Maroney ranked only behind Bush in terms of NFL readiness and adds that there are doubters out there when it comes to DeAngelo Williams' and LenDale White's ability to quickly adjust to the mental demands of the pro game.

• Mario Williams, defensive end, North Carolina State: A slam-dunk top-four pick in the draft? That's no guarantee of production, as Chicago's Cedric Benson (No. 4 overall) proved once again last year. Still, Williams figures to be the first defensive player taken for good reason. He's got the kind of pass-rushing skills that a team can get something out of right away, even while he continues to work the rough edges off his game.

"Mario Williams is going to be a hell of a football player,'' said a personnel man. "I don't know if he's polished enough, but he's raw enough to get on the field as a rookie, and he's raw enough to make plays in the NFL this season and for a long time after that.''

Save the Julius Peppers comparisons for now. The talent evaluators I talked to don't necessarily buy that one, saying Williams' and Peppers' body types aren't as similar as some believe. But nobody quibbles with the notion that Williams has a skill set that could help him produce double-digit sack totals as a rookie.

"For a while last year, that's all I had to play on, my athleticism and my talent,'' said Merriman, who led all 2005 rookies with 10 sacks. "And that carried me along until I learned my playbook and my assignments better. He's such a physical specimen that he'll make some plays on sheer athleticism.''

• Joseph Addai, running back, LSU: Most people have Addai going early in the second round. But if the other four higher-rated running backs are gone by the time the Colts pick at number 30 in the first round, don't be shocked to hear them call Addai's name.

"He's a perfect fit for the Colts' offense,'' said a personnel man. "He's got speed, he can block, catch passes out of the backfield and he can help you some in the return game. He's an all-purpose guy. He's kind of intriguing.''

Addai opened eyes when he clocked a 4.4 in the 40-yard dash at the combine, and his value in relation to his pick projection is considered high. Of course, last year at this time we were saying the same thing about Cal's ultra-productive running back J.J. Arrington, and he wound up being a second-round flop in Arizona.

• A.J. Hawk, linebacker, Ohio State: Between Merriman, Seattle's Tatupu, Cincinnati's Odell Thuman, Dallas' DeMarcus Ware and Kansas City's Derrick Johnson, a host of productive linebackers were selected in the first two rounds of last year's draft. Will this year's crop of Hawk, Sims, Iowa's Chad Greenway, Ohio State's Bobby Carpenter and Florida State's Kamerion Wimbley (a 3-4 linebacker/defensive end type) be as impactful? League talent evaluators don't seem to have any reservations about Hawk, who won't last past the top five.

"He's going to be really productive right away, because he'll be on the field a lot,'' said a personnel man. "He'll play that weakside position and he'll fly around and be around the ball and get in the middle of a lot of plays. He could have strong numbers, because the team that takes him is going to need him on the field right away. And he's smart enough that he'll be able to be out there from Day One for you.''

• Sinorice Moss, receiver/return man, Miami: This one comes with a caveat: The Hurricanes' mighty mite has to go to a team that knows how to use his versatile package of skills in order for him to make a splash as a rookie. Are you paying attention, Pittsburgh at number 32?

"The Steelers would know how to use that guy,'' said a veteran personnel man. "They're one of the teams that could get a lot out of Moss right away, using him in that Antwaan Randle El role. If he goes somewhere like that, where he'll catch the ball, help you in the return game and they'll find creative ways to get him the ball, he could make an impact this year.''

But any hopes he has of becoming the difference-maker that his older brother, Santana, was in Washington last season starts with staying healthy. Which he was not always able to do at Miami.

"From a talent standpoint, yes, this guy has some tremendous talent and could make an impact for you,'' a personnel man said. "But is he ever going to make it to the field? He's hurt every spring, and he's hurt every season. He always has a problem of some sort. He couldn't even run this spring because he was injured. He's a difference-making talent, but he hasn't been able to stay on the field in the fall or even in spring ball.''

• Manny Lawson, defensive end, North Carolina State: Before his teammate and fellow Wolfpack end Mario Williams kicked it into a higher gear in the second half of last season, Lawson was considered the better playmaker. And as we get closer to the draft, Lawson's stock as a pass-rushing talent is rising, with some believing he could crack the bottom of the first round.

At 6-5, 245 pounds, Lawson may be a candidate to play 3-4 linebacker, because he gets overmatched at times against huge offensive tackles. But he's got a burst off the edge, and there is a team out there that will find a way to use him, either with his hand on the ground or otherwise.

"I can see him being one of those 4-3 ends who comes off the edge just flying after the quarterback,'' said Merriman, whose Maryland teams competed against Lawson in the ACC. "He's fast. And they could use him like a KGB in Green Bay or a Robert Mathis in Indianapolis, one of those situational rushers who create havoc.''

Guiness
04-13-2006, 01:40 PM
He's going to be a train wreck if anyone has to rely on him as a blocker. He's not good at it and has no interest in it. If he has to stay in as a blocker, he's going to be a problem.''

I don't get at all why VD's blocking is knocked. Is there some game film that shows him blowing some assignments, or getting bowled over?

All I know is that he went head-to-head with Williams for a quarter or more, and by all accounts handled the top rated pass rusher in the draft. What else does he have to do :?:

League talent evaluators don't seem to have any reservations about Hawk, who won't last past the top five.

While I think it's becoming less likely, I can see AJ dropping past #5. What if Leinhart and VY end up back in the top 4, leaving Williams for the Pack. They take him, SF likely still takes VD and suddenly he's there at #7 or 8. Just a thought.

HarveyWallbangers
04-13-2006, 02:21 PM
Good stab, ND72. I'll take my first shot at a mock draft.

1. Houston Texans – RB Reggie Bush, USC
2. New Orleans Saints – DE Mario Williams, NC State
3. Tennessee Titans – QB Vince Young, Texas
4. New York Jets – QB Matt Leinart, USC
5. Green Bay Packers – LB AJ Hawk, LB Ohio State
6. San Francisco 49ers – TE Vernon Davis, Maryland
7. Oakland Raiders – S Michael Huff, Texas
8. Buffalo Bills – OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Virginia
9. Detroit Lions – DT Brodrick Bunkley, Florida State
10. Arizona Cardinals – QB Jay Cutler, Vanderbilt
11. St. Louis Rams – DT Haloti Ngata, Oregon
12. Cleveland Browns – LB Ernie Sims, Florida State
13. Baltimore Ravens – OT Winston Justice, USC
14. Philadelphia Eagles – WR Chad Jackson, Florida
15. Denver Broncos – WR Santonio Holmes, Ohio State
16. Miami Dolphins – S Donte Whitner, Ohio State
17. Minnesota Vikings – LB Chad Greenway, Iowa
18. Dallas Cowboys – DE/LB Kamerion Wimbley, Florida State
19. San Diego Chargers – CB Tye Hill, Clemson
20. Kansas City Chiefs – CB Jonathan Joseph, South Carolina
21. New England Patriots – RB DeAngelo Williams, Memphis
22. Denver Broncos – RB Laurence Maroney, Minnesota
23. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – CB Jimmy Williams, Virginia Tech
24. Cincinnati Bengals – DT Claude Wroten, LSU
25. New York Giants – LB Bobby Carpenter, Ohio State
26. Chicago Bears – WR Sinorice Moss, Miami (Fla)
27. Carolina Panthers – LB DeMeco Ryans, Alabama
28. Jacksonville Jaguars – DE/LB Manny Lawson, North Carolina State
29. New York Jets – RB LenDale White, USC
30. Indianapolis Colts – CB Antonio Cromartie, Florida State
31. Seattle Seahawks – C Nick Mangold, Ohio State
32. Pittsburgh Steelers – S/CB Jason Allen, Tennessee

Harlan Huckleby
04-13-2006, 02:28 PM
1. Houston Texans – RB Reggie Bush, USC
2. New Orleans Saints – DE Mario Williams, NC State
3. Tennessee Titans – QB Vince Young, Texas
4. New York Jets – QB Matt Leinart, USC
5. Green Bay Packers – LB AJ Hawk, LB Ohio State

I think you're right. And coincidentally, those are the players, in that order, that I most wish would fall to #5.

The Shadow
04-14-2006, 10:33 PM
Never saw Hawk being 'invisible'. Just a great player.
Saw several games in which both Williams & Huff WERE invisible.

Bretsky
04-14-2006, 10:41 PM
Never saw Hawk being 'invisible'. Just a great player.
Saw several games in which both Williams & Huff WERE invisible.

I agree; HAWK IS THE GUY. Best and most consistent defensive player in college football last year, hands down.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-14-2006, 10:46 PM
Broker Stanly ran for almost 130 yds against a Hawk-led OSU sqad. Broker Stanly. That speaks volumes. Hawk is not as good as people thinks he is.

Bretsky
04-14-2006, 10:52 PM
Broker Stanly ran for almost 130 yds against a Hawk-led OSU sqad. Broker Stanly. That speaks volumes. Hawk is not as good as people thinks he is.

That's a crappy stat Tank. I was at that game in the slushy rain. How many tackles did Hawk have ? I'd bet you'd have to look it up so again, that stat doesn't mean a lick as there is a lot more to a full game's running yardage given up that one player. He's in nearly every play, and he's a hell of a lot more consistent than Huff and makes a lot more big plays.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-14-2006, 11:03 PM

That's a crappy stat Tank. I was at that game in the slushy rain. How many tackles did Hawk have ? I'd bet you'd have to look it up so again, that stat doesn't mean a lick as there is a lot more to a full game's running yardage given up that one player. He's in nearly every play, and he's a hell of a lot more consistent than Huff and makes a lot more big plays.

How many DBs in the NFL can play both CB and S in the prime of their careers? Most, if not all, pro bowl safeties cant cover like an all pro CB and most, if not all, CBs cant tackle like an all pro S. Michael Huff can make the pro bowl at any of the two position, although he's best suited for S so that his talent would be utilizes to its max.

Hawk is just a linebacker. Huff is a CB/S/KR/PR

Bretsky
04-14-2006, 11:07 PM

How many DBs in the NFL can play both CB and S in the prime of their careers? Most, if not all, pro bowl safeties cant cover like an all pro CB and most, if not all, CBs cant tackle like an all pro S. Michael Huff can make the pro bowl at any of the two position, although he's best suited for S so that his talent would be utilizes to its max.

Hawk is just a linebacker. Huff is a CB/S/KR/PR

AND an inconsistent one. And I don't buy that Huff can play either position and excel. You said yourself you've seen him play about two games. I've witnessed many more. He's dang good, but your reading too much Huff hype on thet Net. And we have a guy in GB that can play two positions in Nick Collins. Sure we could use Huff, but Hawk is the better player. Now if they trade to 8-10, and Davis and Hawk are gone then Huff is the guy.

Positions aside, Hawk is just a better football player than Huff.
Smash Mouth
Vocal Leader
Intense

He's the attitude we need leading that defense.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-14-2006, 11:23 PM
double post

Anti-Polar Bear
04-14-2006, 11:24 PM
I think more often then not, NFL defenses are lead by a S not lb. Brain Dawkins in Philledephia, Sharper in Minnesota, Roy Williams in Dallas, and last year Ed Reed with the Ray Lewis-less Ravens. Those teams have top defesnes without having a All Pro LB.

You can argue that LBs like Urlacher and Lewis are capable of carrying their teams but many experts have said that Hawk is not in their league. Would you rather have a protential all-pro S in the Ed Reed-clone Huff, or a slightly above average and Dan Morgan-ish Hawk?

Bretsky
04-14-2006, 11:29 PM
I think more often then not, NFL defenses are lead by a S not lb. Brain Dawkins in Philledephia, Sharper in Minnesota, Roy Williams in Dallas, and last year Ed Reed with the Ray Lewis-less Ravens. Those teams have top defesnes without having a All Pro LB.

You can argue that LBs like Urlacher and Lewis are capable of carrying their teams but many experts have said that Hawk is not in their league. Would you rather have a protential all-pro S in the Ed Reed-clone Huff, or a slightly above average and Dan Morgan-ish Hawk?

There is where we differ; I don't think Huff will be nearly as good as Ed Reed and I do think Hawk will be very comparable to Urlacher.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-14-2006, 11:36 PM

There is where we differ; I don't think Huff will be nearly as good as Ed Reed and I do think Hawk will be very comparable to Urlacher.

I guess time will prove one of us right.

HarveyWallbangers
04-16-2006, 10:46 PM
Antuan Edwards was a S/CB coming out of college. Of course, he sucked at both.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-16-2006, 10:59 PM

To compare Edwards to Huff is like comparing Bush to Ki-Jana Carter. Huff is better than Edwards. Better in coverage, better tackling, better overall. Ed Reed is a better comparison.

HarveyWallbangers
04-16-2006, 11:42 PM
You asked how many players come out with the ability to play corner or safety. Plenty of players do. They all look like future All-Pros at this point. Jason Allen is another CB/S hybrid from this draft. That usually means they are tweeners. Huff will be a safety on the pro level.

CyclonePackFan
04-17-2006, 03:22 AM

To compare Edwards to Huff is like comparing Bush to Ki-Jana Carter. Huff is better than Edwards. Better in coverage, better tackling, better overall. Ed Reed is a better comparison.

Have Bush tear his ACL in his first pre-season game and he'll be exactly like Ki-Jana Carter. I agree that Huff will be a good NFL player, but I'd hesitate to put him on the level of and Ed Reed just yet. Yes, Huff is a better tackler than Edwards, but so am I. Watch the video someone was kind enough to link to. Watch how often Huff hits someone above the shoulderpads and swings him to tackle. Huff's a little undersized for a safety in the NFL, he needs to learn to hit low or he's gonna get run over by some of the big WR's at this level.

ND72
04-17-2006, 09:19 PM
I don't like to put any college player on the level of any proven NFL player, only cause how many NFL games have they played? yeah non.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-17-2006, 09:39 PM

Have Bush tear his ACL in his first pre-season game and he'll be exactly like Ki-Jana Carter. I agree that Huff will be a good NFL player, but I'd hesitate to put him on the level of and Ed Reed just yet. Yes, Huff is a better tackler than Edwards, but so am I. Watch the video someone was kind enough to link to. Watch how often Huff hits someone above the shoulderpads and swings him to tackle. Huff's a little undersized for a safety in the NFL, he needs to learn to hit low or he's gonna get run over by some of the big WR's at this level.

Huff is 6'1" 205 as of now, and can tackle above the pads like LBs does. That is a plus, not a negative. Sharper likes to tackle low and thats why he misses too much tackles. Deion Sanders tackled very low, and thats why he wasnt known as a tackler. Huff was able to take down bigger players in college, so no reason he cant do so in the pro.

Huff will be better than Hawk and Williams, the 2 players rated ahead of him.

CyclonePackFan
04-17-2006, 09:54 PM

Huff is 6'1" 205 as of now, and can tackle above the pads like LBs does. That is a plus, not a negative. Sharper likes to tackle low and thats why he misses too much tackles. Deion Sanders tackled very low, and thats why he wasnt known as a tackler. Huff was able to take down bigger players in college, so no reason he cant do so in the pro.

Sharper put his head down when he tried to tackle, that's why he missed so many. I guess I'm just a little old school when it comes to tackling. Hit low, right under the shoulderpads, wrap up hard, and explode the hips through the ball carrier. I don't see it as positive that LB's can and do tackle above the pads. I do, however, agree with you halfway, Tank. Huff WILL be better than Williams, but Linebacker is more of an impact player than Corner or Safety in the NFL, which is why I have Hawk above Huff.

b bulldog
04-17-2006, 09:58 PM
Huff will be a probowl caliber player in the NFL. He is a tremendous player. I think he will go in the 8-9 area.

Bretsky
04-17-2006, 10:00 PM
Huff will be a probowl caliber player in the NFL. He is a tremendous player. I think he will go in the 8-9 area.

I'd agree

1. Bush
2. M Williams
3. Leinart
4. Ferguson
5. Hawk
6. V Davis
7. V Young
8. Ngata
9. Huff

Harlan Huckleby
04-17-2006, 10:04 PM
I won't mind Hawk. They can certainly use him.

But I want to see Mario or VY. More excting, and why not gamble with other people's money?

b bulldog
04-17-2006, 10:05 PM
1. BUSH
2.lINY
3.yOUNG
4.Fergy
5.Mario
6.Davis
7.Hawk
8.Ngata
9.Huff

Bretsky
04-17-2006, 10:09 PM
1. BUSH
2.lINY
3.yOUNG
4.Fergy
5.Mario
6.Davis
7.Hawk
8.Ngata
9.Huff

I was closer to you and then listened to the ESPN guy this weekend who said if the Saints kept their pick it looked like it was down to Williams or Ferguson with the bias being toward Mario. Then they said the Titans are already quarreling; the coaches want Leinart and scouts want Young. Interesting to listed to.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-17-2006, 10:09 PM

Sharper put his head down when he tried to tackle, that's why he missed so many. I guess I'm just a little old school when it comes to tackling. Hit low, right under the shoulderpads, wrap up hard, and explode the hips through the ball carrier. I don't see it as positive that LB's can and do tackle above the pads. I do, however, agree with you halfway, Tank. Huff WILL be better than Williams, but Linebacker is more of an impact player than Corner or Safety in the NFL, which is why I have Hawk above Huff.

I guess we have to agree to disagree. I think safeties of Huff's caliber make more impacts than LBs of Hawks. Huff can do well in all these areas cover/blitz/run stoppage. Whereas, Hawks strength are only run stoppage/blitz (although not as well as Huff cos he isnt as fast).

Looking at the tape, Huff is lightning fast. Can tackle. Can cover. The complet defensive player.

b bulldog
04-17-2006, 10:13 PM
i'M SAYING THAT LINY GOES 2, I don't know if the Saints will be picking at the 2 spot when all is said and done.

MJZiggy
04-17-2006, 10:15 PM
Didn't one of these draft chat gurus claim that Leinart's stock was going to fall because he wants a Hollywood ending for his football career?

b bulldog
04-17-2006, 10:16 PM
Old news but I don't think it will bother the teams come draft day.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-17-2006, 10:17 PM

I'd agree

1. Bush
2. M Williams
3. Leinart
4. Ferguson
5. Hawk
6. V Davis
7. V Young
8. Ngata
9. Huff

Ed Reed, Brain Dawkins, Darren Sharper, Roy Williams, Sean Taylar all were NOT top 5 picks. All have become Pro Bowl/All Pro safties. Doesn't history teach us anything? Bypassing All Pro safeties would come back to haunt you.

billy_oliver880
04-17-2006, 10:17 PM
Didn't one of these draft chat gurus claim that Leinart's stock was going to fall because he wants a Hollywood ending for his football career?

Explain this hollywood ending?

MJZiggy
04-17-2006, 10:19 PM
He just fired his agent because he wants to use a Hollywood agency that can handle his endorsement and possible acting projects. There seems to be question as to whether he really wants to be on the gridiron or big screen.

b bulldog
04-17-2006, 10:21 PM
This is one of the reasons why I think the Saints could take him at 2. In two years thety will be playing in LA and just think how much more interest the team would garner locally if Liny was their QB.

ND72
04-17-2006, 10:23 PM
Saints won't be taking Leinart so get off the subject...NFL teams don't sign guys just to find their successor no matter what you think. you're wrong, period. end of story. Saints take Ferguson or Williams.

MJZiggy
04-17-2006, 10:27 PM
I sense another wager... :twisted:

CyclonePackFan
04-17-2006, 10:31 PM
He just fired his agent because he wants to use a Hollywood agency that can handle his endorsement and possible acting projects. There seems to be question as to whether he really wants to be on the gridiron or big screen.

Matt Leinart just lost what little respect he had from me. This is why I hate USC so much.

http://www.onepeat.com/

I still laugh every time I think of this site.

b bulldog
04-17-2006, 10:33 PM
I said the two spot but I will stick with the Saints. You still have no credibility.