PDA

View Full Version : Neal as Packer "Elephant"

pbmax
09-22-2013, 09:30 AM
Bob, done for the moment diving Packer directives from goat entrails and sniffing packets on the Packers wireless network, comes up with a gem of an article about Neal's switch to OLB and how it came to be.

Started with Kevin Green (2 years ago) and seems to have been endorsed by Trgo who convinced Capers who in turn convinced McCarthy. McCarthy calls it an "elephant" type position and when he is standing over the O tackle it might be, but that doesn't explain his INT from ILB versus the Redskins.

"There were certain things I didn't think we needed to be using him anymore," said McCarthy. "We were trying to create pass rush from within. I thought it was intriguing to create this 'elephant' position.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-mike-neal-surprisingly-good-after-shift-to-linebacker-b99100981z1-224739952.html

Bob of course, needing to drive readers into a panic, then concocts a scenario where Neal gets 8 sacks and suddenly is in demand like Paul Kruger or Desmond Bryant and will command a 5 year, $34 to 40 million deal. Bob also fits in a mention that he thought the move was pure desperation and doomed to fail. So, you know, that contract thing could easily happen ...

Fritz
09-22-2013, 09:32 AM
One of the most interesting aspects of that article is the idea that Neal really isn't, "naturally," a 285 pound guy...hmmm...

Joemailman
09-22-2013, 09:43 AM
One of the most interesting aspects of that article is the idea that Neal really isn't, "naturally," a 285 pound guy...hmmm...

I was starting to wonder if his injuries might be the result of being too bulked up and carrying more weight than his frame could handle. Whether he ever juiced or not, he was known as a workout freak. I think he was about 290-295 when the Packers drafted him. It would be interesting to know what he weighed when he entered Purdue.

Fritz
09-22-2013, 09:49 AM
I was starting to wonder if his injuries might be the result of being too bulked up and carrying more weight than his frame could handle. Whether he ever juiced or not, he was known as a workout freak. I think he was about 290-295 when the Packers drafted him. It would be interesting to know what he weighed when he entered Purdue.

Whether he's been juicing or not, it appears that OLB is actually a more "natural" position for him. I was intrigued and a bit disturbed that the article is suggesting that he's better than Perry...

bobblehead
09-22-2013, 10:17 AM

Where did I hear that theory floated like 5 times already??

bobblehead
09-22-2013, 10:18 AM

I can't find that picture of Irkal to post, but something like that.

pbmax
09-22-2013, 10:29 AM
If you wish to bet someone on the next, great college scandal, it will be what they feed those 18 year olds to fill them out. My guess is that it is not just protein in some cases.

Fritz
09-22-2013, 10:33 AM
If you wish to bet someone on the next, great college scandal, it will be what they feed those 18 year olds to fill them out. My guess is that it is not just protein in some cases.

Oh, come on. Coaches like Nick Saban and Urban Meyer and Les Miles are simply interested and invested in helping these young men grow and mature into responsible men.

packer4life
09-22-2013, 10:41 AM
I've had my eye on Neal this season when he trotted out at OLB. I honestly have not seen the "greatness" documented in this article. He seems no real upgrade to Perry.

Of course, I'm going to be paying more attention today and really hope he is everything they say he is and more. We need someone to step up opposite Clay and our passing D will finally flourish.

pbmax
09-22-2013, 10:44 AM
You like a guy who can make the wrong decision and still make a good play (missed this the first time through):

When Neal high-pointed a deflected pass and intercepted it with his hands [vs Washington], it looked like the perfect play. Wrong, said Greene. Neal was supposed to be rushing, not dropping, on that call.

Thought it was odd to have Matthews AND Neal there.

red
09-22-2013, 12:03 PM

i know his trainer

that guy busts his ass working out

red
09-22-2013, 12:05 PM

no one is suppose to be naturally 285

either you eat yourself to the weight, or you muscle up to that point