PDA

View Full Version : New Season, Same Old Injury Story

mraynrand
09-22-2013, 03:23 PM
So did Randall Cobb get hurt too? Who didn't? Another season spoiled with boring injury talk.

red
09-22-2013, 03:27 PM
jordy was limping at the end too

we have no running backs healthy on the roster right now

something has to be changed. troy and buck mentioned how no other team comes close to having as many hamstring injuries as we do

something is definately wrong at 1265. and its been wrong for 3 years now

denverYooper
09-22-2013, 03:33 PM
They should set up a spin class. Maybe some Yoga.

packer4life
09-22-2013, 03:38 PM
MM will have the team running backwards next game so as to preserve all collective hammies. Of course then we'll accumulate a couple quad injuries to boot.

gbgary
09-22-2013, 03:50 PM
was hating the early week off but now with so many little hurts it's turned into a good thing.

swede
09-27-2013, 03:38 PM
New practice unis.
http://www.xtreme-events.de/wp-content/uploads/zorbing-bubble-football.jpg

Fritz
09-27-2013, 03:46 PM
jordy was limping at the end too

we have no running backs healthy on the roster right now

something has to be changed. troy and buck mentioned how no other team comes close to having as many hamstring injuries as we do

something is definately wrong at 1265. and its been wrong for 3 years now

Too many PED's?

red
09-27-2013, 09:32 PM
do pro athletes actually stretch before practice and games?

you never see them doing team stretches anymore like you see in college and high school

Maxie the Taxi
09-28-2013, 07:34 AM
do pro athletes actually stretch before practice and games?

you never see them doing team stretches anymore like you see in college and high school

Stretching is old school. The new school of psychobabble science says stretching is more likely to cause injury than to prevent it:

Ian Shrier, M.D., a past president of the Canadian Society of Sports Medicine, has been drilling into the stretching literature since the early 1990s. In a 1999 paper titled "Stretching Before Exercise Does Not Reduce the Risk of Local Muscle Injury," Dr. Shrier lists five reasons why stretching shouldn't be expected to work. Among them: stretching won't change eccentric muscle activity (when a muscle simultaneously contracts and lengthens, as in downhill running), which is believed to cause most injuries; stretching can produce damage at the skeletal level; and stretching appears to mask muscle pain, which could cause the exerciser to ignore this key pre-injury signal. He concludes: "The basic science and clinical evidence today suggests that stretching before exercise is more likely to cause injury than to prevent it."

http://www.runnersworld.com/stretching/does-stretching-prevent-injuries?page=single

Of course, I think that's pure BS but I wouldn't be surprised if Stubby and his strength and conditioning team swallow it hook, line and sinker.

KYPack
09-28-2013, 08:25 AM
Stretching is old school. The new school of psychobabble science says stretching is more likely to cause injury than to prevent it:

http://www.runnersworld.com/stretching/does-stretching-prevent-injuries?page=single

Of course, I think that's pure BS but I wouldn't be surprised if Stubby and his strength and conditioning team swallow it hook, line and sinker.

I should've known a "new wave" guy like max would know about this.

A trainer gave a talk about this at my gym.

The guy gave a talk on stretching. We all thought it was new ways to stretch or something, but the punch line of it was to NOT stretch anymore.

He did have one pearl of wisdom. It was to go in the steam room or sauna before you worked out to get ya warmed up.

We didn't believe the guy, but that is the new trend.

Next thing, they'll be tellin' us to give up drinking.

Maxie the Taxi
09-28-2013, 09:17 AM

Actually, drinking is how Maxie the Taxi warmed up before games. Got him very loose and relaxed.

http://www.dack.com/images/weblog/max-mcgee.jpg

mraynrand
09-28-2013, 10:27 AM

http://cwstatic.cityweekend.com.cn/files/images/2013/06/19/prohibition_ladies_2.jpg

(what they really meant is that there is no beer goggle thick enough)

Iron Mike
09-28-2013, 11:01 AM
Actually, drinking is how Maxie the Taxi warmed up before games. Got him very loose and relaxed.

http://www.dack.com/images/weblog/max-mcgee.jpg

That's how Iron Mike gets warmed up before passing out on the couch. :)

Smidgeon
09-30-2013, 08:58 AM
I should've known a "new wave" guy like max would know about this.

A trainer gave a talk about this at my gym.

The guy gave a talk on stretching. We all thought it was new ways to stretch or something, but the punch line of it was to NOT stretch anymore.

He did have one pearl of wisdom. It was to go in the steam room or sauna before you worked out to get ya warmed up.

We didn't believe the guy, but that is the new trend.

The science behind it is sound. Stretching ahead of time puts muscles in a strained state. You want them warm and limber, not stressed and strained. The best kind of warmup is one that simulates how you'll use the muscles.

3irty1
09-30-2013, 09:11 AM
I have no idea what thread to put this story in so this will do.

I saw Eddie Lacy at a bachelor party this weekend. He was at this terrible strip club in the Walker's Point neighborhood drinking coca cola and enjoying some titties. He wasn't throwing money around like you might expect but instead was just kind of wandering around in a full Packers sweatsuit and appeared to be there alone. I didn't go up to him or anything because that's probably the last thing he wanted but as we were walking home he pulled out of an alley and almost hit me with his car. Then I took the opportunity to shake his hand through his open window and welcomed him with the traditional greeting of his people. "Roll Tide." He responded "Roll Damn Tide." I'm guessing he hasn't bought a new car yet. He had a mid 2000's silver sedan like an impala or something.

denverYooper
09-30-2013, 09:40 AM
The science behind it is sound. Stretching ahead of time puts muscles in a strained state. You want them warm and limber, not stressed and strained. The best kind of warmup is one that simulates how you'll use the muscles.

You hit it right on the head -- the confusion is between static stretching (like reaching for your toes, etc) and warming up. I know quite a few pro endurance athletes and no one really does static stretching before racing anymore, at least not before getting warmed up first. Warming up is still important, so it's not like you just race cold. You just don't do the ballistic stretches as your warmup. If you're running, you might do some varied tempo runs, high knees, short sprints (like 5-10s) etc.

You gain flexibility by doing the static stretching after a race/workout. That's when your muscles are the most receptive.

mraynrand
09-30-2013, 10:29 AM
You hit it right on the head -- the confusion is between static stretching (like reaching for your toes, etc) and warming up. I know quite a few pro endurance athletes and no one really does static stretching before racing anymore, at least not before getting warmed up first. Warming up is still important, so it's not like you just race cold. You just don't do the ballistic stretches as your warmup. If you're running, you might do some varied tempo runs, high knees, short sprints (like 5-10s) etc.

You gain flexibility by doing the static stretching after a race/workout. That's when your muscles are the most receptive.

In winter, I warm up on a stationary bike for five minutes inside before a run. Stretch after getting fully warmed up (sometimes not until 4-6 miles) or after finishing a run. Stretching cold is asking for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6HQg_eNalo

Fritz
09-30-2013, 10:55 AM

I saw Eddie Lacy at a bachelor party this weekend. He was at this terrible strip club in the Walker's Point neighborhood drinking coca cola and enjoying some titties. He wasn't throwing money around like you might expect but instead was just kind of wandering around in a full Packers sweatsuit and appeared to be there alone. I didn't go up to him or anything because that's probably the last thing he wanted but as we were walking home he pulled out of an alley and almost hit me with his car. Then I took the opportunity to shake his hand through his open window and welcomed him with the traditional greeting of his people. "Roll Tide." He responded "Roll Damn Tide." I'm guessing he hasn't bought a new car yet. He had a mid 2000's silver sedan like an impala or something.

Cool story about Lacy. I'm glad he wasn't hammered and being stupid.

But it was a stretch to put it in this thread...

swede
09-30-2013, 03:41 PM
Cool story about Lacy. I'm glad he wasn't hammered and being stupid.

But it was a stretch to put it in this thread...

Are you asking him to exercise better judgment?

Because that would be adding insult to injury.

red
09-30-2013, 04:41 PM

so, he was in a strip club, then he was in his car in a dark alley, then you shook his hand?

yeah, you just shook a guys hand after he just got done rubbing one out

3irty1
10-01-2013, 04:44 PM
so, he was in a strip club, then he was in his car in a dark alley, then you shook his hand?

The parking lot to the strip joint attached to the alley but I hope you're right. A couple of years ago I shook Jessica Szohr's hand at a bar during the time when she was seeing Rodgers. I was pretty excited to touch the hand that touched his junk.

mraynrand
10-08-2013, 09:01 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_A0LdpHWkzfQ/TFwmN07RydI/AAAAAAAAAHE/xwMOWfqjQSA/s320/Yawn-726829.png

Fritz
10-08-2013, 02:47 PM

Isn't the real story that a Green Bay Packer had to self-amuse after leaving a strip club? No wonder they all go off to Minnesota as soon as they can. At least there being an NFL player means you get a party boat full of stripper/whores.

I think the citizenry of Green Bay needs to do a better job of ensuring that no Green Bay Packer ever has to take matters into his own hands after visiting a strip club.

How about the Walleye Queen? Isn't she available?

SkinBasket
10-09-2013, 08:00 PM
When I was a teenager, I was on a small airplane at 2 am from Caracas to Manaus and I'm pretty sure Shakira was in the seat across from me. But I didn't bother her because I was really sleepy and I had no idea who she was. She had nice hamstrings though.

mraynrand
10-09-2013, 09:07 PM
When I was a teenager, I was on a small airplane at 2 am from Caracas to Manaus and I'm pretty sure Shakira was in the seat across from me. But I didn't bother her because I was really sleepy and I had no idea who she was. She had nice hamstrings though.

¡caracoles!

Maxie the Taxi
10-10-2013, 07:32 AM

When I was a young man, I was on a small jet from Miami to Caracas and across the aisle from me was a little old man and a large crate of cackling chickens. No lie. No hamstrings, just drumsticks.

SkinBasket
10-10-2013, 07:52 AM
When I was a young man, I was on a small jet from Miami to Caracas and across the aisle from me was a little old man and a large crate of cackling chickens. No lie. No hamstrings, just drumsticks.

I think I got the better deal. She would have provided good masturbation material for the time I spent in Brazil if I hadn't been occupied nuzzling up to the boat captain's daughter.

mraynrand
10-10-2013, 08:10 AM
I think I got the better deal. She would have provided good masturbation material for the time I spent in Brazil if I hadn't been occupied nuzzling up to the boat captain's daughter.

http://global3.memecdn.com/mysterious-sweaty-mexican_o_1708395.jpg

pbmax
10-10-2013, 09:21 AM

Was it a DC-3? Because I think I was on that flight 20 or so years later with the same guy.

Probably different chickens, though.

mraynrand
10-10-2013, 09:26 AM
all this chicken talk is making me hungry. I think I'm gonna go 0-tech on a bucket of original recipe.

http://static5.businessinsider.com/image/4f8e0235ecad04ec1f000000-480/kfc-fried-chicken.jpg

pbmax
10-10-2013, 09:31 AM
all this chicken talk is making me hungry. I think I'm gonna go 0-tech on a bucket of original recipe.

[IMG]http://static

KFC in this area has discontinued carrying corn bread. Its a traveshamockery of a decision.

When I want unhealthy fried food, I want ALL the unhealthy food together in one bucket.

mraynrand
10-10-2013, 09:35 AM
KFC in this area has discontinued carrying corn bread. Its a traveshamockery of a decision.

When I want unhealthy fried food, I want ALL the unhealthy food together in one bucket.

what area is that? I will avoid like the plague. Will also inform Denny Green not to go near there - he can't last more than a few hours without cornbread.

Maxie the Taxi
10-10-2013, 09:41 AM
what area is that? I will avoid like the plague. Will also inform Denny Green not to go near there - he can't last more than a few hours without cornbread.

Stubby can tell you.

pbmax
10-10-2013, 09:51 AM

There is only one KFC we ever go to and its on the West Side of Madison. Went there like six months ago when the urge hit and ordered a heart attack: fried chicken, potatoes, gravy, biscuits AND cornbread. You could tell they were tired of having to explain it because I got the full apology right away that it was no longer available. Drove away teary-eyed.

I think my mother or grandmother used to make it (Thanksgiving maybe?) but other than that, only time I ever ate it was at KFC.

It must have felt the same way as Ray Davies sister did

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs2kFrGluKs

mraynrand
10-10-2013, 10:12 AM
Great Post PB. Love that KFC - they should be shot for taking away the Cornbread. Used to go there at least twice a year - that's the one on Linebacker Drive as we called it. Nothing like the West Side, Gammon Road, strip mall sprawl. Brings back the memories. Good kinks ref too.

SkinBasket
10-10-2013, 10:21 AM
I lived in the ghetto apartments right off Gammon, just past Woodmans. It was great, and very multicultural. We considered it an upgrade from S Park, across from the bus depot, behind the gas station where the hookers hung out. We traded blacks for Mexicans. Except for our neighbor. He was black and a drug dealer and part time suit salesman at the mall. Nice guy. Wore a lot of silk robes. When the police came for him, he jumped off the balcony next to ours into the snow naked, shouting that he didn't like the smell of jail. He didn't get away.

pbmax
10-10-2013, 10:30 AM
I lived in the ghetto apartments right off Gammon, just past Woodmans. It was great, and very multicultural. We considered it an upgrade from S Park, across from the bus depot, behind the gas station where the hookers hung out. We traded blacks for Mexicans. Except for our neighbor. He was black and a drug dealer and part time suit salesman at the mall. Nice guy. Wore a lot of silk robes. When the police came for him, he jumped off the balcony next to ours into the snow naked, shouting that he didn't like the smell of jail. He didn't get away.

Still shop at that Woodman's occasionally and the area has a large hispanic population now. Not sure about those apartments but most of the trouble on the West Side is around Raymond Rd. these days.

The net effect on Woodman's is that they have the best ethnic (Hispanic anyway) food aisle in the city. Like walking into another country or a convenience store that carries all off brands of everything.

Somehow, they get Coke in actual bottles shipped North. But no high fructose corn syrup. Actual cane sugar in your sugared drink. Tastes like freedom.

hoosier
10-10-2013, 11:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xffOCZYX6F8

Freak Out
10-10-2013, 11:49 AM
Best fried chicken I have ever had was in Songkhla Thailand.

Maxie the Taxi
10-10-2013, 03:35 PM
An interesting article on Mike Neal and his transition from DE to LB...http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=10241&is_corp=1

Neal is quoted saying something that I've often thought has a lot to do with the rash of player injuries on the Packers and other teams: the players are pushing their bodies to the limit in the weight room. The extra strength puts a hell of a strain on joints and ligaments.

A renowned weightlifter, Neal bulked up to 295 pounds to play defensive end, with his weight having peaked at 305 with very little body fat. Now, he acknowledges that most of his injuries were the result of him trying to be someone he’s not – a big down lineman. Without the move, Neal said, he probably would have already suffered another injury and perhaps be headed for an achy post-football life.

“Most definitely,” said Neal, who said he now weighs in at between 275 and 280 pounds (the Packers list him at 285). “I think one of the biggest things with me was the size I was, that wasn’t my natural size. You see me now, the weight I’m at now is natural; even if I took a week off from working out and ate, I wouldn’t gain more than a couple pounds. I think just the constant lifting and grueling just took a toll on my joints and ligaments.

“Those were all my issues – joints and ligaments. I think taking some of the weight off, and being more flexible with my body, that might prolong my career a couple years. That’s a good thing for me.”

Earlier I posted a picture of Dave Hawg Hanner. No one ever accused Hanner of being muscle-bound. He was the "fat guy" on the Packers DL in his day. Still, he weighed only 257 lbs. on a 6'2" frame. Now you got guys like Mike Neal bulking up to 305 on a 6'3" frame. And he says his natural build would support about 285 lbs.

Imagine Hawg Hanner bulking up to 300 lbs. It would be an injury waiting to happen for him too.

Food for thought.

mraynrand
10-10-2013, 03:41 PM
everyone's built a little different Maxi. I couldn't put more than 230 on my 6'3" frame even if I drank sixty of those Cane Sugar Cokes from Woodman's every night. Some guys are just built thick. Glad to see Neal is at a comfortable weight.

Maxie the Taxi
10-10-2013, 04:10 PM
everyone's built a little different Maxi. I couldn't put more than 230 on my 6'3" frame even if I drank sixty of those Cane Sugar Cokes from Woodman's every night. Some guys are just built thick. Glad to see Neal is at a comfortable weight.

I guarantee you I could put 305 lbs. on my 5'11" frame but I'd probably pull a hamstring walking to the bathroom. :-D

George Cumby
10-10-2013, 08:37 PM
There is only one KFC we ever go to and its on the West Side of Madison. Went there like six months ago when the urge hit and ordered a heart attack: fried chicken, potatoes, gravy, biscuits AND cornbread. You could tell they were tired of having to explain it because I got the full apology right away that it was no longer available. Drove away teary-eyed.

Is that the one on Verona Road at the Beltline?

George Cumby
10-10-2013, 08:45 PM

I'm 5' 8" and have to restrict my exercise to 3 barbell workouts a week, laying on the couch, watching TV and eating a pint of Haagen Dazs every night to break 160. I then feel like a cross between an older Marlon Brando and Jabba the Hutt.

Patler
10-10-2013, 09:14 PM
I lived in the ghetto apartments right off Gammon, just past Woodmans.

My oldest son lived there.

pbmax
10-10-2013, 10:20 PM
Is that the one on Verona Road at the Beltline?

Nope. The one I am talking about is just off Mineral Point Road on the far west side. Its across from a Pier One Imports.

pbmax
10-10-2013, 10:21 PM
My oldest son lived there.

Its a smaller and smaller world all the time.

Just please tell me he didn't jump off his patio to avoid the police :lol:

ThunderDan
10-10-2013, 11:14 PM
Nope. The one I am talking about is just off Mineral Point Road on the far west side. Its across from a Pier One Imports.

Meet you there in 8 minutes.

mraynrand
10-13-2013, 06:48 PM
%@$#%!!! &*% ($^#%!!!!

pbmax
10-13-2013, 06:53 PM
Everyone should eat Jolly's KFC in the middle of the week. You don't see D lineman dropping like flies out there.

mraynrand
10-14-2013, 02:31 PM
So did Randall Cobb get hurt too? Who didn't? Another season spoiled with boring injury talk.

you knew it was only a matter of time before Cobb got hurt. And Jones. And Perry. And Francois. And Matthews. And everyone else that contributes. Not even gonna mention the QB position - oops, just did. just waiting for the sixteenth shoe to drop. Eventually it catches up with you. Just ask the 2002 Packers.

ThunderDan
10-14-2013, 02:49 PM
you knew it was only a matter of time before Cobb got hurt. And Jones. And Perry. And Francois. And Matthews. And everyone else that contributes. Not even gonna mention the QB position - oops, just did. just waiting for the sixteenth shoe to drop. Eventually it catches up with you. Just ask the 2002 Packers.

You could ask the 2010 Packers also. They were starting their 7th string OLB if I remember correctly with 11 guys on IR and then Chuck breaks has collar bone during the SB.

gbgary
10-14-2013, 02:50 PM
@AdamSchefter: #Packers WR James Jones sprained PCL vs. Ravens but might be able to play Sunday vs. Browns. Decision later this week.

mraynrand
10-15-2013, 07:26 AM
Did anyone get injured while I was sleeping?

hoosier
10-15-2013, 08:12 AM

No, but Micah Hyde did not show up for practice yesterday and has now been declared officially missing.

George Cumby
10-15-2013, 08:31 AM

I pulled a hammy and Red has a large abrasion on his penis of unknown etiology. He claims he slipped on a banana peel while gettting a glass of warm milk. His doctor is suspicious.

pbmax
10-15-2013, 08:31 AM
No, but Micah Hyde did not show up for practice yesterday and has now been declared officially missing.

Should have been you McMillan.

QBME
10-15-2013, 08:48 AM
I pulled a hammy and Red has a large abrasion on his penis of unknown etiology. He claims he slipped on a banana peel while gettting a glass of warm milk. His doctor is suspicious.

A mystery best left unsolved.

KYPack
10-15-2013, 09:12 AM

Don't worry.

He'll just tape it up and go.

red
10-15-2013, 09:38 AM
LOL

they say cobb will miss 6 to 8 weeks will his broken fibula

i know there are different kinds of breaks and different healing times for those breaks

but i am going on week 10 of my broken fibula and at least 2-6 more weeks before its fully healed and i can start rehab. and believe me, you need rehab because your calf muscle is gone, and all the tendons and ligaments around you ankle and knee have shriveled into worthless little bands of nothing

don't be surprised if he still misses the season and ends up on one of the IR's before the end of the week

red
10-15-2013, 09:39 AM

i slipped and fell into a pipe that was sticking out of the wall that looked somewhat like a vagina if you squint really hard

Upnorth
10-15-2013, 09:46 AM
i slipped and fell into a pipe that was sticking out of the wall that looked somewhat like a vagina if you squint really hard

Doctors confirmed that initial impact did not create injury, however it apperears tissue damage occured after repeated 'falls'.

pbmax
10-15-2013, 10:01 AM
LOL

i know there are different kinds of breaks and different healing times for those breaks

but i am going on week 10 of my broken fibula and at least 2-6 more weeks before its fully healed and i can start rehab. and believe me, you need rehab because your calf muscle is gone, and all the tendons and ligaments around you ankle and knee have shriveled into worthless little bands of nothing

don't be surprised if he still misses the season and ends up on one of the IR's before the end of the week

red, was it a complete break of the bone? Dislocated?

Of your fibula, that is.

Bossman641
10-15-2013, 10:27 AM
LOL

I'd say that Cobb has a world class training staff at his disposal but then I realized who exactly I was talking about.

red
10-15-2013, 10:56 AM
red, was it a complete break of the bone? Dislocated?

Of your fibula, that is.

mine was very complicated. it is actually called a bimalleolar equivalent fracture. my fibula was "crushed" the doctor called it and in about a dozen pieces. the tibia was also involved in that i completely tore all the ligaments holding the bone to the ankle.

however. when i went in for my 6 week check-up the bone had just barely started to reform in my fibula on the edges. thats why i say it could take longer

now i did have to have a plate and a bunch of screws installed, i have no clue if that should speed things up or slow them down

hoosier
10-15-2013, 11:07 AM
mine was very complicated. it is actually called a bimalleolar equivalent fracture. my fibula was "crushed" the doctor called it and in about a dozen pieces. the tibia was also involved in that i completely tore all the ligaments holding the bone to the ankle.

however. when i went in for my 6 week check-up the bone had just barely started to reform in my fibula on the edges. thats why i say it could take longer

now i did have to have a plate and a bunch of screws installed, i have no clue if that should speed things up or slow them down

Well there you go. While the report on JSO said that Cobb's fracture nearly went all the way through, presumably he has two pieces of bone that still fit together. Whereas you basically had to regenerate an entire fibula, and while I'm no orthopede my intuition tells me that would take a bit longer.

pbmax
10-15-2013, 11:10 AM
Holy crap red, sorry to hear it was that serious. Hope the recovery does well. You also have a pass from me to call Cobb a pansy if he isn't back in 6 weeks from a fracture that did not break the bone in two.

red
10-15-2013, 12:43 PM
a couple of talking heads think that it might be more then just the break, and that knee ligaments are also involved

they both seem to think he could take longer then 8 weeks

George Cumby
10-15-2013, 05:53 PM
Holy fuck, Red.

I am really sorry to hear that. How'd you do that?

Best wishes for a full recovery.

red
10-15-2013, 06:02 PM
Holy fuck, Red.

thank you

i was cleaning windows in the house, i mean playing full contact football, when the feet of the ladder slip out from under me. i got my leg stuck in the ladder on the way down, then the whole thing ,including me, come down on top of it. just a really weird freak accident

mraynrand
10-15-2013, 07:51 PM

Sounds like you have a lot of bone that has to scab in. Takes longer. Pretty nasty fall you had, but going off a ladder that happens. Lucky you didn't fracture your talus it's a common ladder fall injury too and a lot of orthos don't fix those very well - it that can bother you walking the rest of your life.

Cobb is only the fibula and I wonder if it's a total break. Did anyone hear if he was having surgery?

mraynrand
10-15-2013, 07:52 PM

+1

Joemailman
10-15-2013, 08:42 PM
Sounds like you have a lot of bone that has to scab in. Takes longer. Pretty nasty fall you had, but going off a ladder that happens. Lucky you didn't fracture your talus it's a common ladder fall injury too and a lot of orthos don't fix those very well - it that can bother you walking the rest of your life.

Cobb is only the fibula and I wonder if it's a total break. Did anyone hear if he was having surgery?

I read it was nearly, but not quite, a total break. I think it's unlikely surgery is required.

George Cumby
10-15-2013, 11:04 PM
thank you

i was cleaning windows in the house, i mean playing full contact football, when the feet of the ladder slip out from under me. i got my leg stuck in the ladder on the way down, then the whole thing ,including me, come down on top of it. just a really weird freak accident

I used to rock climb a lot and have a decent head for heights but I fucking hate ladders. As bad as it is, it sounds like it could've been worse......

Maxie the Taxi
10-16-2013, 06:19 AM
Holy fuck, Red.

+1

Ladders are deadly. Remember that Maxie the Taxi McGee fell off a ladder cleaning his rain gutters and died. I think it was a year or two ago.

George Cumby
10-16-2013, 07:24 AM
+1

Ladders are deadly. Remember that Maxie the Taxi McGee fell off a ladder cleaning his rain gutters and died. I think it was a year or two ago.

I had to wiki it, Max died in 2007.

Man, but the time flies, doesn't it?

Maxie the Taxi
10-16-2013, 07:27 AM
I had to wiki it, Max died in 2007.

Man, but the time flies, doesn't it?

Sure does. Seems like yesterday. I loved Max when he was the color man on Packer broadcasts. Best ever. The guy truly bled green and gold.

George Cumby
10-16-2013, 07:31 AM
Sure does. Seems like yesterday. I loved Max when he was the color man on Packer broadcasts. Best ever. The guy truly bled green and gold.

I can still hear his voice from his broadcasts during the 80's. The team was such a disappointment to him, you could hear it in his voice. Boy, was he great at that. I still miss him, even though I haven't listened to a Packers broadcast for 20 years.

swede
10-16-2013, 07:52 AM
C'mon guys. Max was a legend and a great guy. But he was the least informed color guy ever, and he was paired with the least accurate play by play guy ever.

JI: And it's CAUGHT by Robert Brooks on the SIDELINES and the PACKERS have a...well wait a minute...

MM: That was a heckuva catch by Brooks...

JI: Now they're saying it's not a catch...

MM: It was still a heckuva catch...

JI: It looked like he caught it... and now they're ruling it was out of bounds.

MM: I thought it was Brooks.

JI: It was Antonio Freeman and it was out of bounds.

MM: It was still a heckuva catch.

JI: Yes it was Max.

Maxie the Taxi
10-16-2013, 08:09 AM
I actually agree with you about Irwin. But "C'mon, man!" Maxie was the color guy, not the sketch artist. LOL. He was worth listening to just to hear about the war stories between him and Hornung.

If you're as old as I am you remember the baseball game of the week with ole Dizzy Dean doing the game with Pee Wee Reese. I don't know who was the color guy but Reese had a knack of bringing out the most outrageous stuff from Dean.

Then there was Al McGuire. They made dull games interesting.

mraynrand
10-16-2013, 08:11 AM
Not true about Jim Irwin. It's gotten a whole lot worse. I was listening to GB/Balt on Westwood 1 this past weekend and the play by play guy would not give down and distance, yards gained, lost, etc. etc. Had zero picture in my mind of the game.

BTW, Jim was pretty good calling Bucks games.

Worst Color guy I've heard: Johnny “Red” Kerr on Chicago Bull's broadcasts. Screaming incoherently is not commentary.

mraynrand
10-16-2013, 08:15 AM
C'mon guys. Max was a legend and a great guy. But he was the least informed color guy ever, and he was paired with the least accurate play by play guy ever.

JI: And it's CAUGHT by Robert Brooks on the SIDELINES and the PACKERS have a...well wait a minute...

That's funny and sounds completely plausible. But what's wrong with it, really?

Patler
10-16-2013, 08:19 AM
For the "dark years", Irwin and McGee were good broadcasters, because they could get excited about what was good in spite of the game outcome, and there was so much bad that in depth analysis would have been depressing. They came across as friends who were nice guys sitting down to watch Packer teams that weren't very good.

But as the Packers got better, and then became actually very, very good; I wanted to know more about what was going on than Irwin and McGee provided. I wanted accuracy and analysis that told me what happened and why it did or didn't work.

Cheesehead Craig
10-16-2013, 08:25 AM
I wanted accuracy and analysis that told me what happened and why it did or didn't work.
But you're a diva so... :wink:

mraynrand
10-16-2013, 08:28 AM
I wanted accuracy and analysis that told me what happened and why it did or didn't work.

ya know who's really good at this? James Lofton

Patler
10-16-2013, 08:35 AM
ya know who's really good at this? James Lofton

Can't say that I have heard Lofton much. Maybe I have, but didn't realize it was him.
Personally, I like McCarren as an analyst. I'm somewhat indifferent about Larrivee for play by play. The content of what Larrivee says seems OK, but there is something about his delivery that I don't care for. I can't really put my finger on what it is.

Maxie the Taxi
10-16-2013, 08:38 AM
Can't say that I have heard Lofton much. Maybe I have, but didn't realize it was him.
Personally, I like McCarren as an analyst. I'm somewhat indifferent about Larrivee for play by play. The content of what Larrivee says seems OK, but there is something about his delivery that I don't care for. I can't really put my finger on what it is.

He's a former Bear announcer! LOL

Patler
10-16-2013, 12:36 PM
He's a former Bear announcer! LOL

Ya, that could be the reason!

pbmax
10-16-2013, 01:33 PM

+1 and I would rep you but apparently I cannot at the moment.

Irwin used to do the Badger game too, didn't he?

Like Uecker, they were best when the team was far from contention. Though, as with Ueck, it was quite a treat to hear them get choked up about the Championship as Uecker did when the Brewers got back to the playoffs.

I think McCarren was put into the booth to bring the subject back to football occasionally shortly after the Super Bowl year.

Larriavee is meh, they should have hired Matt LePay.

Patler, Lofton does a lot of radio. If you pick up Westwood One games, you will hear him.

mraynrand
12-23-2013, 01:06 PM
Can we go just one game without losing 2-3 impact players to game/season/career ending injuries?