PDA

View Full Version : GB-CIN: Studs and Duds

run pMc
09-23-2013, 04:15 PM
Studs
J.Franklin - over 100 yards, including a 51 yarder. Made something from nothing on a few runs.

CM3 - forced a fumble that Doc Jennings returned for a TD; pressured Dalton, proved his worth when he went out with a hammy -- Dalton got a lot of his yards after that.

Banjo - didn't embarass himself. Essentially took McMillian's snaps.

Defense - was put in a real hole with Ross' fumble and the Reggie Nelson TD wasn't their fault. Forced enough turnovers (4) to make this a rout.

Duds
J.Franklin - the fumble on 4th and 1 ended up being a 10 point swing and the deciding score.

A.Rodgers - got outplayed by Dalton. Turned the ball over twice, got caught on camera arguing with the coach. The 2nd pick was especially tough. Tempted to put the whole offense here, but I'll pick on Rodgers since he gets a lot of the credit when it goes right.

Jeremy Ross - cut. Fumbling is your ticket out.

Others?

mraynrand
09-23-2013, 04:18 PM
Dud:

Stubby - maybe stop deferring. And roll out Rodgers when balls are being batted in his face*

*(Take it easy, Harlan, don't get excited)

denverYooper
09-23-2013, 04:30 PM
Stud -> Jordy played like a man.

Joemailman
09-23-2013, 04:32 PM
Jordy was a stud. Probably Packers best player Sunday.

EDS continued to be a dud. Gets knocked back way too often.

pbmax
09-23-2013, 05:48 PM
Stud: Brad Jones forced a fumble. If you are a Packer defender and your name is not Clay, this is an automatic qualifier.

Harlan Huckleby
09-23-2013, 06:03 PM
Sammy Shields

red
09-23-2013, 06:04 PM
while maybe not spectacular, i thought hawk had a good game

Smeefers
09-23-2013, 06:06 PM
Stud, AJ Hawk played like a man on a mission. So did brad jones.

Dud, MM's play calling in critical situations. He's got all these new weapons he's not used to and hasn't figured out how or when to use them. I do appreciate the 27 rushing attempts in the game though.

Harlan Huckleby
09-23-2013, 06:09 PM
Quarless was not terrible, he had a nice block that the announcers pointed out, had some catches. I still nominate him as a dud. He is supposed to be a poor man's Finley. He looks stiff and unathletic. Maybe it's the injury. Most teams have a #2 TE who is more of a threat than the Packers crew.

Bretsky
09-23-2013, 06:24 PM
Stud: Brad Jones forced a fumble. If you are a Packer defender and your name is not Clay, this is an automatic qualifier.

I am getting tempted to issue my Mea Culpa to Brad Jones but I'm convinced he reads Packerrats and is motivated by my criticism.
Unlike you with Cullen Jenkins I may eventually admit I was wrong :)))))))

Joemailman
09-23-2013, 06:51 PM
Quarless was not terrible, he had a nice block that the announcers pointed out, had some catches. I still nominate him as a dud. He is supposed to be a poor man's Finley. He looks stiff and unathletic. Maybe it's the injury. Most teams have a #2 TE who is more of a threat than the Packers crew.

I think it's the injury. His speed is okay, but it looks to me like his lateral mobility is gone. I noticed it in a preseason game, and again yesterday.

wist43
09-23-2013, 06:54 PM
Don't go issuing Mea Culpa's to anyone on defense, or to the defense in general, or especially to that piece of shit Mr. Spraypaintedhair.

Mr. Spraypaintedhair is a one man conspiracy against all of Packernation, and deserves to set adrift on the SS Minnow.

Did I mention that Mr. Spraypaintedhair was a piece of shit??

KYPack
09-23-2013, 08:18 PM
Don't go issuing Mea Culpa's to anyone on defense, or to the defense in general, or especially to that piece of shit Mr. Spraypaintedhair.

Mr. Spraypaintedhair is a one man conspiracy against all of Packernation, and deserves to set adrift on the SS Minnow.

Your Dom hate doesn't work in this ball game.

The Packer D had great schemes, played with fire.

They held th NFL's best TE duo to squat, AJ Green was held in check and Green-Ellis didn't piss a drop.

Take out the 14 pts of turnovers and we win a laugher.

sharpe1027
09-23-2013, 09:14 PM

He's looked awkward since his rookie year to me. Didn't seem to use his size well or make good adjustments to catch a ball. I have low expectations for him. I hope that I am wrong.

wist43
09-23-2013, 09:17 PM
Your Dom hate doesn't work in this ball game.

The Packer D had great schemes, played with fire.

They held th NFL's best TE duo to squat, AJ Green was held in check and Green-Ellis didn't piss a drop.

Take out the 14 pts of turnovers and we win a laugher.

They played well... or at least well enough.

Dom is perfectly capable of putting together a winning game plan - but more often than not, the spraypaint seeps into his brain, and he can't find the bathroom - which is why he has to wear Depends diapers during the games. After he wets himself... he might could call a -3 man rush.

He seems to have actually watched some of the film from last year though, and is putting together much more consistent pressure fronts. If he keeps it up, we might just be better on defense this year - if we know anything about Mr. Spraypaintedhair though, it's that he can't be trusted.

Will never, ever, trust him... called a good game this week - entirely capable of giving up 700 yds to the Lions.

Cleft Crusty
09-23-2013, 11:17 PM
Dom is perfectly capable of putting together a winning game plan - but more often than not, the spraypaint seeps into his brain, and he can't find the bathroom - which is why he has to wear Depends diapers during the games. After he wets himself... he might could call a -3 man rush.

When you get to the stage in your life where you use Depends like most people use Kleenex, you won't be so cavalier about this. Crusty knows.

wist43
09-24-2013, 05:03 AM
When you get to the stage in your life where you use Depends like most people use Kleenex, you won't be so cavalier about this. Crusty knows.

lol

Fritz
09-24-2013, 06:06 AM

I was going to nominate you, Wist, as a stud, since you hadn't been around lately (after a Packer win, gee), but then hadn't been around - I thought - after a loss to post your usual "I told you so" junk.

But here you are.

Carolina_Packer
09-24-2013, 06:17 AM
They played well... or at least well enough.

He seems to have actually watched some of the film from last year though, and is putting together much more consistent pressure fronts. If he keeps it up, we might just be better on defense this year - if we know anything about Mr. Spraypaintedhair though, it's that he can't be trusted.

Will never, ever, trust him... called a good game this week - entirely capable of giving up 700 yds to the Lions.

The early 90's Steelers had no problem trusting him, but then they had guys like Kevin Greene, Levon Kirkland, Chad Brown, Greg Lloyd, Rod Woodson, Levon Kirkland, Deion Figures, Carnell Lake, Darren Perry, etc. How many of those types of players do the Packers currently have on their defensive roster? Those players didn't seem to have a problem with the scheme they were running. They did a nice job with Capers defensive scheme and were pretty dominant. Was that a special set of defensive players? Sure was! Do we have that kind of talent on defense? Capers coaches the players that he has to coach. Last time I checked, TT was in charge in the talent acquisition. Just because we draft Nick Perry in the first round, doesn't mean he's going to become Greg Lloyd or Kevin Greene. Could he become a good OLB? Time will tell.

Bossman641
09-24-2013, 08:06 AM

WTF? This should have been the type of game you love. Defense forcing 4 turnovers and shutting down Green and the TE's. Offense running for 180 yards, 30 rushing attempts, OL grinding/forcing their will on the DL (insert whatever anti-soft catchphrase you care for).

ThunderDan
09-24-2013, 08:09 AM
Studs-

Jordy Nelson - He played lights out and is now the NFL's premier sideline catcher of the football
The D - While they had a couple of off plays during the game they held CIN to under 300 yards in total offense and other than the two turnovers held them to 20 points while scoring 7 for the Packers plus getting 4 turnovers

Duds-

ARod - I guess this is what the bottom feeders of the NFL see every week from their starting QBs
Ross - You really have one job on this team - catch a kicked football. If you can't do that you are gone ..... wait I see you are
MM - Kick a damn FG and go up 6. I commented in the game thread on this. Play calling was also poop at the end

Other guys-
OL - you looked like shit in pass protect on a lot of plays and All-Pro on a few, you also have two 100+ yard rushers in a row
Franklin - I wanted to call you a stud but you fumbled on 4th and 1 which cost us the score that lost us the game

Harlan Huckleby
09-24-2013, 08:36 AM
Bob McGinn gave Sammy Shields the love he deserves. Guy played lights-out against pass & run, had pick.

I guess it is hard for a black, one-eyed jew to be accepted in a forum of bigots like this.

Pugger
09-24-2013, 09:35 AM
Dud:

Stubby - maybe stop deferring. And roll out Rodgers when balls are being batted in his face*

*(Take it easy, Harlan, don't get excited)

I don't mind deferring. If you get the lead before the half you can build on that right away. If you are behind you can get the ball first and turn the tide.

Pugger
09-24-2013, 09:38 AM
Sammy Shields

Absolutely!! He had the unenviable task of going up against AJ Green and limited him to 10 catches for 29 yards and 1 TD.

Pugger
09-24-2013, 09:40 AM
Stud, AJ Hawk played like a man on a mission. So did brad jones.

Dud, MM's play calling in critical situations. He's got all these new weapons he's not used to and hasn't figured out how or when to use them. I do appreciate the 27 rushing attempts in the game though.

I don't know if I'd call not having Finley and only one RB a lot of weapons at his disposal in the second half of that game. :???:

Pugger
09-24-2013, 09:42 AM

Maybe now folks will not be so ready to dump Finley until we find somebody better than the other TEs presently on the roster.

mraynrand
09-24-2013, 10:05 AM
I guess it is hard for a black, one-eyed jew to be accepted in a forum of bigots like this.

we accept you, we just don't like you

jdrats
09-24-2013, 10:15 AM
Stud: Datone--blocked extra point, and may have had a hand in on one of the forced fumbles

Dud: James Jones-allowed himself to be knocked off his route and then gave up on a slant leading to the first int--I've been have Bill Shroeder flashback nightmares the last two nights!

Harlan Huckleby
09-24-2013, 10:50 AM
we accept you, we just don't like you

http://www.jlcauvin.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/davis-jr-sammy-photo-sammy-davis-jr-6233615.jpg
back atchya

steve823
09-24-2013, 12:11 PM
Studs in my eyes were Brad Jones, Sam Shields, and Don Barclay. Barclay is starting to turn into a solid tackle. He had 2 bad plays this game, but besides them he was great.

Bossman641
09-24-2013, 12:26 PM
Dud - Troy Aikman. Starting the season with 3 straight Aikman/Buck pairings has made me wish I was deaf.

Pugger
09-24-2013, 02:44 PM
Another reason to be glad for a bye - no Buck and Acheman to call our game.

mraynrand
09-24-2013, 02:46 PM
http://www.jlcauvin.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/davis-jr-sammy-photo-sammy-davis-jr-6233615.jpg
back atchya

lol. Harlan, you are like smog that sticks to LA.

mraynrand
09-24-2013, 02:47 PM
Dud - Troy Aikman. Starting the season with 3 straight Aikman/Buck pairings has made me wish I was deaf.

what?

Patler
09-24-2013, 03:29 PM
I honestly don't see what so many of you find objectionable about Aikman. He isn't the greatest analyst out there, but he does have some good insights from the QB's perspective. Are some of you holding it against him that the Packers couldn't seem to beat the Cowboys until he left?

wist43
09-24-2013, 03:42 PM
I was going to nominate you, Wist, as a stud, since you hadn't been around lately (after a Packer win, gee), but then hadn't been around - I thought - after a loss to post your usual "I told you so" junk.

But here you are.

Absence had nothing to do with a win... been sick.

Have probs with my ticker... slows me down. Sometimes knocks me down. Last couple weeks been doin my Redd Foxx impersonation - one fine day, that'll be it :)

It is what it is.

wist43
09-24-2013, 03:48 PM
WTF? This should have been the type of game you love. Defense forcing 4 turnovers and shutting down Green and the TE's. Offense running for 180 yards, 30 rushing attempts, OL grinding/forcing their will on the DL (insert whatever anti-soft catchphrase you care for).

Didn't comment on the game - just hate Capers that much.

As I said, he's capable of putting a good game plan out on the field, but he can't help but be cute more often than not, and it costs us games. Even if we won the SB again this year, I'd still want him fired. The day he is fired/retires - the sun will shine brighter, and the grass will be greener - the entire football world will rejoice :)

Guiness
09-24-2013, 04:03 PM
I honestly don't see what so many of you find objectionable about Aikman. He isn't the greatest analyst out there, but he does have some good insights from the QB's perspective. Are some of you holding it against him that the Packers couldn't seem to beat the Cowboys until he left?

I feel he's got a pretty healthy anti-Packer slant in his commentary, I've brought it up in game day threads.

Pugger
09-24-2013, 06:12 PM

No, but sometimes when there is a penalty on our opposition that looks pretty obvious he just doesn't seem to see it. But the real reason could be we are sick of hearing him and Buck call almost every stinkin game of ours. It would be refreshing to hear another voice and POV.

Pugger
09-24-2013, 06:14 PM

Have probs with my ticker... slows me down. Sometimes knocks me down. Last couple weeks been doin my Redd Foxx impersonation - one fine day, that'll be it :)

It is what it is.

Sorry to hear about that. :-(

Harlan Huckleby
09-24-2013, 06:39 PM
lol. Harlan, you are like smog that sticks to LA.

Well, there's no denying that I hold a certain fascination for you. Scott Campbell was similarly smitten. I wonder what he's doing tonight .....

What's that Elvis song, "Are you lonesome, tonight?"

Are you lonesome tonight,
Do you miss me tonight?
Are you sorry we drifted apart?
Does your memory stray to a brighter summer day
When I kissed you and called you sweetheart?
Do the chairs in your parlor seem empty and bare?
Do you gaze at your doorstep and picture me there?
Is your heart filled with pain, shall I come back again?
Tell me dear, are you lonesome tonight?

KYPack
09-24-2013, 07:45 PM

It is what it is.

Hang in there, Wist.

George Cumby
09-24-2013, 08:03 PM

He actually says lots of good things about the Packers, the team, Ted, Rodgers. I do recall him being pretty snarky when whatshisname was the qb

mraynrand
09-24-2013, 09:44 PM
Well, there's no denying that I hold a certain fascination for you. Scott Campbell was similarly smitten. I wonder what he's doing tonight .....

Scott and I are watching "Meet Me in St. Louis" together. I'm drinking pink lemonade and Scott is eating crumpets.

Harlan Huckleby
09-24-2013, 10:45 PM
Sounds very cozy.

Ya know, I was going to make a Judy Garland crack, but I actually own the deluxe edition of that DVD with interviews and commentary by Liza Minnelli. It's time for a little serious reflection.

Fritz
09-25-2013, 05:52 AM

It is what it is.

Damn, I haven't heard anybody call it a "ticker" in years. Except maybe Maxie. And Cleft Crusty.

Well for Cripes' sake, Wist, do your ticker a favor and relax in the next couple weeks in the knowledge that the Packers are going to thrash the Lions in their next game.

Zool
09-25-2013, 09:00 AM

It is what it is.

The day you accept Capers as a DC, your heart will grow 3 sizes. You're a mean one Mr Wist.

Pugger
09-25-2013, 09:25 AM
Scott and I are watching "Meet Me in St. Louis" together. I'm drinking pink lemonade and Scott is eating crumpets.

I love that movie.

Maxie the Taxi
09-25-2013, 07:38 PM

It is what it is.

Sorry to hear about your problems, Wist. Hang in there.

Carolina_Packer
09-26-2013, 08:24 PM
Slight bump...

I saw this on Bleacher Report. Do you agree with their grades?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1783353-packers-vs-bengals-full-roster-report-card-grades-for-green-bay

It's a weird game for sure. They did do some good things, but obviously enough bad, including the very weird sequence of almost salting the game away to having a freak play for a scoop and score that sinks the Packers chances. Weird also because the Packers O-line did do a good job running the ball, but not so good in pass pro, which is a bit of a role-reversal for them as a unit. I know the challenges with injuries the last few years, but the team really needs to drat a lot more competition for the existing crew and get this o-line right once and for all.

Bossman641
09-27-2013, 08:44 AM
Slight bump...

I saw this on Bleacher Report. Do you agree with their grades?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1783353-packers-vs-bengals-full-roster-report-card-grades-for-green-bay

It's a weird game for sure. They did do some good things, but obviously enough bad, including the very weird sequence of almost salting the game away to having a freak play for a scoop and score that sinks the Packers chances. Weird also because the Packers O-line did do a good job running the ball, but not so good in pass pro, which is a bit of a role-reversal for them as a unit. I know the challenges with injuries the last few years, but the team really needs to drat a lot more competition for the existing crew and get this o-line right once and for all.

It'd be nice if they could get an OL that could actually stick together for a few years.

It's crazy to think what the OL could look like next year IF they actually get healthy. Have to think Newhouse is gone. That leaves Bak, Barclay, Bulaga, and Sherrod fighting for the tackles. What if Sherrod comes in and actually looks like a player? Can Bak play RT? Do you then move Bulaga to guard and slide Lang to center (has he played center or am I imagining that?). Or do you give up on Bulaga and move forward with Sitton/Tretter/Lang in the interior?

Upnorth
09-27-2013, 09:59 AM
Bulaga goes to RT if Sherry and Bach are fighting for LT. Start teaching Barclay center if he can.

denverYooper
09-27-2013, 10:24 AM
Bulaga goes to RT if Sherry and Bach are fighting for LT. Start teaching Barclay center if he can.

I dunno. If Barclay gets a season under his belt and stays healthy he might not give the spot back.

mraynrand
09-27-2013, 10:34 AM
Bulaga looked pretty awful at tackle during some stretches. That being said, after watching Barclay for a few games, it's hard to see how he keeps that job if Sherrod and Bulaga come in healthy next year. I agree: keep working on that shotgun snap.

Fritz
09-27-2013, 04:01 PM
It seems to be the weakest part of the team. Ted has tried to address the tackle position, but he seems to think a midget who played wide receiver in middle school can be converted to a perfectly functional center.

Teamcheez1
09-29-2013, 05:52 PM
How the hell did the Browns beat the Bengals and hold them to 6 points?

I am beginning to have self-doubt about how good our team really is.

red
09-29-2013, 06:19 PM
yup, it really needs to be reiterated that we lost last week to a team that was held to only 6 points by the fucking browns

time to hang our heads in shame

packer4life
09-29-2013, 06:53 PM
The browns D is tough believe it or not. It was also a division game where the two teams know each other well.

The pack D gave up 20 points to cincy missing their best safety and arguably their best corner. There is much room for improvement but overall nothing to "hang our heads in shame" about.

Upnorth
09-29-2013, 08:13 PM
The browns D is tough believe it or not. It was also a division game where the two teams know each other well.

The pack D gave up 20 points to cincy missing their best safety and arguably their best corner. There is much room for improvement but overall nothing to "hang our heads in shame" about.

Any given Sunday and all that but I kinda agree with the two previous comments. Starting to question our team again

packer4life
09-29-2013, 09:53 PM
I tell you what, if we lose to Detroit I'm going to join you all in being shamed by this team. So much talent, and we are risking wasting it all. Some big names will be departing this team next year.

mraynrand
09-29-2013, 10:00 PM
News of the Browns demise is much exaggerated. People assumed they were dead with T Rich leaving, but the real reason they struggled on offense in the first two weeks was the absence of Josh Gordon. And their defense was good last year and is better this year. They will be competitive.

mraynrand
09-29-2013, 10:00 PM

Cincy loss showed that the Packers D is not the same without Matthews

pbmax
09-29-2013, 11:38 PM
Bulaga looked pretty awful at tackle during some stretches. That being said, after watching Barclay for a few games, it's hard to see how he keeps that job if Sherrod and Bulaga come in healthy next year. I agree: keep working on that shotgun snap.

Barclay is vulnerable precisely because his pass pro hangs on by a thread at times. People blow by him. But he does fight, recover and improves. Its just really a mess at times.

He needs to nail it down or the first passable run blocker who can also pass block will take the job from him. Newhouse is not that guy.

Fritz
09-30-2013, 12:55 PM
But can he improve in his pass blocking, or has he reached his ceiling? The answer to that will help reveal a lot about the Packers' chances this year.