PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Hunting

SkinBasket
09-25-2013, 12:19 PM
Any of you idiots hunt coyote (the four legged animal) before? If so, any advice is appreciated. Gonna make me some coyote tacos.

Joemailman
09-25-2013, 12:46 PM
Lure them in by dressing up like a roadrunner. The coyotes will all kinds of stupid shit. Meep Meep!

hoosier
09-25-2013, 12:52 PM
You're going to eat a coyote? Are you Korean by any chance?

Upnorth
09-25-2013, 01:00 PM
Get something dead and stinky, make a run using round bales three a side one at the back, place dead thing in center of run, wait. Coyotes can leap to the top of the round bale so be quick and accurate. Shot three in a row doing this once, waited a while got another then they buggered off.

hoosier
09-25-2013, 01:58 PM
Get something dead and stinky, make a run using round bales three a side one at the back, place dead thing in center of run, wait. Coyotes can leap to the top of the round bale so be quick and accurate. Shot three in a row doing this once, waited a while got another then they buggered off.

Seeing as animals, like humans, are what they eat, why on earth would anyone actually go out of one's way to consume one of those putrid varmints?

Zool
09-25-2013, 03:20 PM
Beware rocket shoes and 1000 ton anvils

Upnorth
09-25-2013, 04:42 PM
Beware rocket shoes and 1000 ton anvils

You are on today man!!! F'n hilarious

mraynrand
09-25-2013, 09:01 PM
If you run off a cliff, whatever you do, DO NOT check under your feet to determine whether the ground is still there. So long as you don't know, you will remain suspended in mid-air.

mraynrand
09-25-2013, 09:02 PM
Get something dead and stinky

stinky pinky?

George Cumby
09-25-2013, 09:39 PM
You're going to eat a coyote? Are you Korean by any chance?

I'm half Korean and I am offended by this stereotype. We don't eat coyotes. We prefer nice plump Labrador retriever puppies.

George Cumby
09-25-2013, 09:40 PM
If you run off a cliff, whatever you do, DO NOT check under your feet to determine whether the ground is still there. So long as you don't know, you will remain suspended in mid-air.

Also, remember that when you paint a mural of a tunnel on a cliff face, you CANNOT treat is as a real tunnel.

mraynrand
09-25-2013, 10:23 PM
I'm half Korean and I am offended by this stereotype. We don't eat coyotes. We prefer nice plump Labrador retriever puppies.

say....what?

http://onpuppies.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Cute-Labrador-Puppies-Wallpaper-5.jpg

SkinBasket
09-26-2013, 07:28 AM
Seeing as animals, like humans, are what they eat, why on earth would anyone actually go out of one's way to consume one of those putrid varmints?

It's meat. Furthermore, while I may be no doctor, I understand that there is a rather complicated process involved between the ingestion of an edible material and the use of the energy from said material to build muscle, so I'm not too worried about it. Yeah, they're pretty much dogs, but I want a return on my guineas they've eaten.

Also, I'm going to be baiting with trimmings from filet mignon and chicken breast since it's going to be a couple weeks before I slaughter another chicken, so he should taste wonderful if your concerns are founded. The wounded rabbit call is en route, so I'll go out next week in a blind. I would try the bale idea, but I'm keeping to the woods, near the scene of the last murdered bird. It's bow turkey and deer season and I don't want to get a visit from the game officer and have to convince him I'm just killing coyotes with the rifle. Apparently they're kind of real assfucks around here.

hoosier
09-26-2013, 07:35 AM

I stand corrected. :-) In fact there probably are zero coyotes in Korea, it was just a crude way of expressing my own personal views on eating coyotes.

Upnorth
09-26-2013, 08:02 AM
Skin, can you recognize mange? If not learn how because you don't want those little bugs anywhere near you or yours. Whenever I've killed a coyote with mange unless it is winter I leave them where they fall.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mange
Hoosier, they are deliciously extinct in Korea I believe. (ahh stereotypes the last resort of weak humor, where would we be with out you)

George Cumby
09-26-2013, 08:05 AM
say....what?

http://onpuppies.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Cute-Labrador-Puppies-Wallpaper-5.jpg

Where's my chopsticks!?

SkinBasket
09-26-2013, 12:51 PM
Whenever I've killed a coyote with mange unless it is winter I leave them where they fall.

From what I hear and have seen, that's not a big issue around here. But yeah, we're only going to eat it if it appears healthy. If I get a bald one, I might have it mounted.

Nothing like a true trophy animal for the den.
http://www.xenophilia.com/zb/zb0004/cmange.jpg

Only saw a doe this morning, so for the time being, I don't have to look up recipes.

Upnorth
09-26-2013, 01:18 PM
Seeing as we are talking about weird desire to eat different foods, has anyone here ever had hippo? Every time I see one of those fat over grown pigs I think of the Flintstones opening when they throw the ribs on Fred's car and it tips over then I start to salivate.

3irty1
09-26-2013, 01:37 PM
Guys I know that do it pretty much use it as an excuse to put to semi-pracitical use all their tacti-cool AR gear and night vision. I'll use that information to infer that they are mostly active at night.

Talking to farmers though I guess they are a major problem on par with how people think of wolves in Alaska. They're basically master tactician's when it comes to isolating and taking down domestic animals.

3irty1
09-26-2013, 01:40 PM
Seeing as we are talking about weird desire to eat different foods, has anyone here ever had hippo? Every time I see one of those fat over grown pigs I think of the Flintstones opening when they throw the ribs on Fred's car and it tips over then I start to salivate.

I one time heard that hippo is similar to horse although I find that hard to believe as horse is really lean and hippos look fat.

hoosier
09-26-2013, 03:01 PM
Hippos are the most flatulent creatures on earth. I would not want to shoot one of those things for fear that the blast radius would exceed the range of whatever rifle is best suited for hippo hunting.

cheesner
09-26-2013, 03:13 PM
I one time heard that hippo is similar to horse although I find that hard to believe as horse is really lean and hippos look fat.
If they had too much fat, they would float.

Ate at the 'Carnivore Cafe' in Nairobi. They have a fire pit in the middle the size of a living room. The spits were roasting a 1/4 of zebra, impala, Ostrich leg, etc. There was a 100 lb hunk of Hippo on there. Tried everything (it was a Brazilian style service). Don't recall hippo standing out that much different than anything else.

Upnorth
09-26-2013, 05:56 PM
Kenya, here I come. About fifteen years ago a friend told me about the Carnivore. Not often you hear about the same restaurant in nairobi.

mraynrand
09-26-2013, 11:12 PM
Ate at the 'Carnivore Cafe' in Nairobi.

Is that in the Westgate Mall?

MadtownPacker
09-27-2013, 01:57 PM
Any of you idiots hunt coyote (the four legged animal) before? If so, any advice is appreciated. Gonna make me some coyote tacos.
Go get a raggedy stray from the animal shelter and leave it tied in an open area.

Joemailman
09-27-2013, 04:18 PM
Go get a raggedy stray from the animal shelter and leave it tied in an open area.

He might just eat the raggedy stray.

SkinBasket
09-30-2013, 07:24 AM
Don't have to go get one either. Our area is apparently a hot spot for worthless cumsacks abondoning their dogs. They figure the farmers will either take them in or shoot them. Fucking townsfolk need to be shot. I wonder if coyote would be interested in human remains? But then I couldn't shoot them because they'd be full of evidence, and despite my scientific dissertation on digestion above, I'm not sure I would want to eat an animal that ate a dirty human.

mraynrand
09-30-2013, 08:22 AM
Don't have to go get one either. Our area is apparently a hot spot for worthless cumsacks abondoning their dogs. They figure the farmers will either take them in or shoot them. Fucking townsfolk need to be shot. I wonder if coyote would be interested in human remains? But then I couldn't shoot them because they'd be full of evidence, and despite my scientific dissertation on digestion above, I'm not sure I would want to eat an animal that ate a dirty human.

Hmmmm.....You guys just gave me a good idea on how to get rid of an untrainable cat

George Cumby
09-30-2013, 08:50 PM
Dp

George Cumby
09-30-2013, 08:51 PM
From what I hear and have seen, that's not a big issue around here. But yeah, we're only going to eat it if it appears healthy. If I get a bald one, I might have it mounted.

Only saw a doe this morning, so for the time being, I don't have to look up recipes.

Where's my chopsticks!?

MJZiggy
09-30-2013, 08:53 PM
Hmmmm.....You guys just gave me a good idea on how to get rid of an untrainable cat

Well there's a problem I can relate to. Little asshole. Cats rule this area, though.

mraynrand
10-01-2013, 09:02 AM
Well there's a problem I can relate to. Little asshole.

some people use vasoline, I hear.

SkinBasket
10-07-2013, 03:00 PM
Negotiating a hillbilly land deal has drawn my energy away from trying to kill something. I've got some old meat in the freezer and a wounded rabbit call, which came with instructions to "add emotion to your call" to really bring in the predators, because apparently apathetic animals don't taste as good. I did catch a cat in a live trap, but couldn't bring myself to eat it. It might belong to the neighbor and they're having enough trouble paying for their rapidly inflating health insurance premiums. They don't need the added cost of another cat. He did look a lot like the skunk I'm trying to capture and kill though.

Freak Out
10-07-2013, 05:46 PM

When I lived in Kodiak my father and I used to go out dog hunting. Between the idiot seasonal cannery workers that left behind dogs and the local drunks that couldn't manage pets there was always a large pack of feral dogs running around chasing sitka blacktail. We would thin them out annually. Always fun to shoot a feral Lhasa Apso on the run.

call_me_ishmael
10-07-2013, 11:38 PM
Always fun to shoot a feral Lhasa Apso on the run.

http://static4.fjcdn.com/comments/OMG+WUT+_ea0b87b49ee42ae0b1f9cb38517b9063.png

mraynrand
10-08-2013, 08:53 AM
. They don't need the added cost of another cat. He did look a lot like the skunk I'm trying to capture and kill though.

http://www.hercampus.com/sites/default/files/styles/full_width/public/wallpapers_pepe-le-pew_04_1024.jpg?itok=Nagy1VqZ

Little Whiskey
10-08-2013, 09:06 PM
some people use vasoline, I hear.

Nice catch. Rep'd!

SkinBasket
11-13-2013, 11:08 AM
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1390719_749683931715135_759182747_n.jpg

First legal deer I've ever taken.

red
11-13-2013, 08:49 PM
nice one too skin, very nice

SkinBasket
11-14-2013, 10:22 AM
I'm not big on hunting horns, but it walked in front of me and we needs some meat in the freezer and he has plenty of that inside that fur suit... so POP and PLOP.

Zool
11-14-2013, 10:27 AM
I'm not big on hunting horns, but it walked in front of me and we needs some meat in the freezer and he has plenty of that inside that fur suit... so POP and PLOP.

Being that is was your first kill, did you drink the blood Red Dawn style?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jtr2XPuPxzE

SkinBasket
11-15-2013, 06:16 AM
If he had Busch beer running through his veins, then yes.

George Cumby
11-15-2013, 08:21 PM
Busch is highly underrated as a trash beer. Can't find it here in Cali.

Little Whiskey
11-16-2013, 08:27 PM
Doesn't appear to have an exit wound. What did you shoot it with?

As I type I am in deer camp getting rained on. Probably got an inch of rain today.

SkinBasket
11-18-2013, 06:07 AM
75 gr .223 HP laterally through the throat. If laterally means what I think it does. He dropped, rolled on his back and kicked for a few seconds, then passed peacefully surrounded by grass and weeds.

Yesterday was a waste with that storm. Hoping they're out for food this morning but that moon might have had them running around most the night, especially since it cleared up here at about 8pm.

woodbuck27
11-18-2013, 09:35 AM

Hippo is best cooked slow at about 300 F.

Serve it with Peri Peri Hot sauce.

woodbuck27
11-18-2013, 09:41 AM
If they had too much fat, they would float.

Ate at the 'Carnivore Cafe' in Nairobi. They have a fire pit in the middle the size of a living room. The spits were roasting a 1/4 of zebra, impala, Ostrich leg, etc. There was a 100 lb hunk of Hippo on there. Tried everything (it was a Brazilian style service). Don't recall hippo standing out that much different than anything else.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g294207-d809397-Reviews-The_Carnivore_Restaurant-Nairobi.html

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/ee/48/e5/the-carnivore-restaurant.jpg

" If you're brave enough to eat crocodile, ostrich & camel meat, just to name a few, then visit this place when you're in Nairobi. The meats are very tasty especially if you pair it with the right sauce. The waiter will tell you which sauce to use. It's quite a gastronomical experience, exotic indeed! The ultimate "Beast of a Feast",... ..."

woodbuck27
11-18-2013, 09:45 AM

Can't you taste the liver now?

Yum Yum.

woodbuck27
11-18-2013, 09:52 AM
When I lived in Kodiak my father and I used to go out dog hunting. Between the idiot seasonal cannery workers that left behind dogs and the local drunks that couldn't manage pets there was always a large pack of feral dogs running around chasing sitka blacktail. We would thin them out annually. Always fun to shoot a feral Lhasa Apso on the run.

and Lasha Apso's are so despised; absolutely despised.... so take em out. Ugly critters too.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKO_Il_XkcWzpbyuFKER9_tloB52bpi Q5JHebyuj9Lgcj9CkFD

woodbuck27
11-18-2013, 09:56 AM
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1390719_749683931715135_759182747_n.jpg

First legal deer I've ever taken.

Ohh my GOD !

You mistook that for a coyote !

OK I'm guessing that you thought that coyote's have horns.

woodbuck27
11-18-2013, 10:02 AM
75 gr .223 HP laterally through the throat. If laterally means what I think it does. He dropped, rolled on his back and kicked for a few seconds, then passed peacefully surrounded by grass and weeds.

Yesterday was a waste with that storm. Hoping they're out for food this morning but that moon might have had them running around most the night, especially since it cleared up here at about 8pm.

What's with the heavy ammunition.

My kid sister shot a coyote this fall back in New Brunswick with a 16 guage shotgun and NO. 6 shot. She let it walk in real close.

The fricken thing was toast.

SkinBasket
11-19-2013, 05:01 AM
The numbers from the processor put his live weight at 280-300. No one, including myself, thought it was that heavy except formy old drunk neighbor who helped get him in the truck after I dressed it. I guess 50 years of deer hunting teaches you some shit.

woodbuck27
11-19-2013, 09:26 AM
The numbers from the processor put his live weight at 280-300. No one, including myself, thought it was that heavy except formy old drunk neighbor who helped get him in the truck after I dressed it. I guess 50 years of deer hunting teaches you some shit.

Yes that's a solid buck.

Little Whiskey
11-19-2013, 11:04 PM

I would have thought you would have butchered it yourself.

Just got back from camp. Two doe on the last day. A ton of wind a ton of rain and crazy temp ranges made for a strange week.

Deputy Nutz
11-20-2013, 11:06 AM
Leaving in two days for deer camp.

High of 19 degrees on opening day.

SkinBasket
11-20-2013, 11:53 AM
Good luck homo.

I missed a doe yesterday. Took a shot I knew I shouldn't, unsupported and out of breath, but it was the first doe I've seen in 8 days and I'm tired of watching bucks wander around in front of me with their mocking eyes. At least I didn't maim her. My wife killed Lord Voldermort, an annoying 4 pointer, Friday with a .243 by breaking it's spine in half. And shredding the tenderloins.

SkinBasket
11-20-2013, 11:57 AM
We had a low one morning of 19. It was god awful. I barely survived.

SkinBasket
11-20-2013, 12:34 PM
Actually, I'm "hunting" right now. It's 50 so I had to put on a jacket.

Little Whiskey
11-20-2013, 07:38 PM
Leaving in two days for deer camp.

High of 19 degrees on opening day.
It was 16 when we got to deer camp this year the. Warmed to mid 50's then snow and wind on our final hunt day.

Good luck.

SkinBasket
11-21-2013, 06:45 AM
Beautiful morning in the woods. 40 degrees, light cloud cover, no wind, and I think I just shit myself a little trying to push a fart out. Tomorrow is rain and the weekend will be cold so I'd like to knock over a doe today and be done.

Joemailman
11-21-2013, 06:59 AM
Beautiful morning in the woods. 40 degrees, light cloud cover, no wind, and I think I just shit myself a little trying to push a fart out. Tomorrow is rain and the weekend will be cold so I'd like to knock up a doe today and be done.

Fixed.

SkinBasket
11-22-2013, 11:35 AM
Mission complete. Doe and her daughter, who was almost as big as her, came up the creek. Waited til she came out and stood still before tossing a lead salad in her chest. She ran about 50 yards into the field before she fell over and rolled down a hill. The youngin came out of the creek and stopped about 15 yards away from the stand looking at me with accusing eyes, but I didn't want anymore meat, so I shooed her off. She followed her mother into the field and bleated over her dead body for 15 minutes before I went out to collect her. It was very sad and almost moved me to end her suffering. Almost.

Joemailman
11-22-2013, 08:19 PM
Mission complete. Doe and her daughter, who was almost as big as her, came up the creek. Waited til she came out and stood still before tossing a lead salad in her chest. She ran about 50 yards into the field before she fell over and rolled down a hill. The youngin came out of the creek and stopped about 15 yards away from the stand looking at me with accusing eyes, but I didn't want anymore meat, so I shooed her off. She followed her mother into the field and bleated over her dead body for 15 minutes before I went out to collect her. It was very sad and almost moved me to end her suffering. Almost.

Shoot Skin. I hope no members of PETA read this. They might come looking for you. Then again, I'm pretty sure you have the means to defend home sweet home. :-D

And by PETA I mean:

http://www.petacatalog.com/images/products/preview/129.jpg

NOT

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41WPJV35E8L.gif

woodbuck27
11-22-2013, 09:20 PM
Beautiful morning in the woods. 40 degrees, light cloud cover, no wind, and I think I just shit myself a little trying to push a fart out. Tomorrow is rain and the weekend will be cold so I'd like to knock over a doe today and be done.

Your post knock up was revised to knock over.....Thank the Lord Jesus. Although it appears your weapon has changed from a rifle to a club. Maybe you simply wrestle and beat the sucker to death?

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJl1grs78kfDctQD-2u3RK7CG6UjK3KIZGAQI7JF5NRWrde838hg

My initial thought and 'knock up a doe ...', was that we don't want an unnecessary decline in whitetail deer geneology and lately they've come a long way.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/209800_f520.jpg

Little Whiskey
11-26-2013, 07:25 PM
Its the second week of deer camp. Anybody heading out to fill tags this weekend?

Joemailman
11-26-2013, 08:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLnmA653f94

woodbuck27
11-26-2013, 10:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLnmA653f94

An awesome video.

THANKS.

woodbuck27
11-26-2013, 10:50 PM
http://hunting.outdoorzy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/two-deer-car.png

The SEXXXful Hunt.

woodbuck27
11-26-2013, 10:52 PM
http://hunting.outdoorzy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/hunting-from-hot-tub.png

Hunting Partner.

woodbuck27
11-26-2013, 10:54 PM
http://hunting.outdoorzy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/hunting-deer-crossing.png

Some Canadian ... and Hunting Deer !?!

Nope ! He's guarding the beer.... you silly.

woodbuck27
11-26-2013, 10:58 PM
http://hunting.outdoorzy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/duck-hunting-bathtub.png

This Deer and water foul hunter is all into it.

woodbuck27
11-26-2013, 11:00 PM
http://hunting.outdoorzy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/hunter-falls-asleep.png

Ahh this fella loves deer hunting camp ... and ... time to sleep.

woodbuck27
11-26-2013, 11:11 PM
Looking to take a BIG BUCK.

http://www.northernwoodslodge.com/deer1.jpg

http://www.northernwoodslodge.com/deer2.jpg

Come to The Northern Woods in CANADA.

SkinBasket
12-02-2013, 08:26 AM
Ended up trading the doe for a hand crafted tripod stand one our local Germans built and wasn't using anymore.

SkinBasket
12-02-2013, 08:29 AM
Word from my family is that WI was a disappointing hunt. Truth?

Joemailman
12-02-2013, 09:38 AM
Word from my family is that WI was a disappointing hunt. Truth?

Yes. Opening weekend buck kill was down 18% statewide. In the north it was worth than that. Vilas County was down 27%, and many northwest counties were worse than that. http://dnr.wi.gov/files/pdf/Opening_weekend_harvest_2013.pdf

The people who were out all week may have done okay, because weather conditions did improve.

Little Whiskey
12-03-2013, 05:37 PM
Visited a friends place in the U.P. over thanksgiving. My wife and oldest son (who is 8) got their first deer. My son was pretty excited. So was his old man!!

Deputy Nutz
12-05-2013, 07:47 AM
WI, season was a little down from last year, 7% less kill. The DNR didn't hand out antlerless permits like candy this year so that might be a reason. I shot two doe. One right after another at 10:30am Sunday morning of opening weekend. I spend the rest of the day skinning and butchering them. It was quite the experience and I will do it again.

Went out Wednesday morning, and Thursday morning, but only saw 4 doe, and I was only hunting bucks at that point.

It was never above 26 degrees all week

Freak Out
12-05-2013, 11:22 AM
The the cold weather affects the hunting/deer or you are just a pussy?

Deputy Nutz
12-05-2013, 10:31 PM
It is a grass is greener debate. Cold weather sucks for the hunter, but it gets the deer moving. Our main issue in our neck of the woods was that a majority of the corn has not been picked yet. The standing corn acts like a grocery store that you can live in for deer. 16 mph winds didn't help.

Little Whiskey
12-07-2013, 10:58 AM
Is this the first time you butchered your own deer, nutz?

SkinBasket
01-08-2014, 02:04 PM
Is it possible to stalk bedded deer close enough to take with a bow? Usually they let the dog get within shooting distance before they jump up, but she's always running. I was thinking if I'm real quiet, I might sneak up on them.

Freak Out
01-08-2014, 04:25 PM
That's tough to do Skin....let alone doing it with a bow. I've gotten really close to Sitka blacktail bucks before but not when they were sleeping.

SkinBasket
01-08-2014, 04:44 PM
It was more of a "if I wake up still drunk" idea. When it's warm, I might try ninja attacking them.

woodbuck27
01-08-2014, 08:05 PM
Is it possible to stalk bedded deer close enough to take with a bow? Usually they let the dog get within shooting distance before they jump up, but she's always running. I was thinking if I'm real quiet, I might sneak up on them.

http://www.foremosthunting.com/Deer/Tips/DeerHunting101/tabid/1154/Default.aspx

Read specifically the part on:

A DEER'S ABILITY TO PICK UP SOUNDS and A DEER'S SENSE OF SMELL

About The Author: " Gregory Kuper resides in Madison, WI with his wife Heather and Son Bradley. More>>>

He frequently travels with his family to Crivitz in the north woods of Wisconsin where he enjoys being an outdoors enthusiast. Specifically, he hunts, fishes, whitewater rafts, trail rides on his ATV, bikerides and hikes. "

Good hunting.