PDA

View Full Version : Week 5 other games thread

Guiness
10-03-2013, 08:00 PM
Buffalo at Cleveland tonight. Who says the NFL keeps all the good games for themselves :razz:

A matchup that actually holds some interest though. Both .500 teams, Cleveland with a share of the lead (!!) in the AFC North.

Hoyer comes out, looks ok, takes of running and get hit, and hurt while going into his slide. Weeden comes out and throws two incompletes. Buffalo scores on their next possession, Weeden back on the field to absorb a sack and a 4 play 12 yard drive. Talk about a snake bitten franchise!

Guiness
10-03-2013, 08:13 PM
Weeden now 2 for 6, but did get a first down by getting himself clocked and drawing an unnecessary roughness penalty!

Guiness
10-03-2013, 08:52 PM
*crickets*

Travis Benjamin tearing it up on PRs. Just returned one for a TD after a 57yd return on the previous punt!

hoosier
10-03-2013, 09:30 PM
Weeden now 2 for 6, but did get a first down by getting himself clocked and drawing an unnecessary roughness penalty!

Which just goes to show how far that franchise has come since the Colt McCoy days when the officials viewed their QBs as tackling dummies.

pbmax
10-03-2013, 09:45 PM
Nothing says Cleveland Browns more than stumbling into an effective QB and then getting him hurt before his third start.

mraynrand
10-03-2013, 11:10 PM
officials viewed their QBs as tackling dummies.

Cleveland fans didn't even give them credit for 'tackling.'

Guiness
10-04-2013, 12:08 PM
Nothing says Cleveland Browns more than stumbling into an effective QB and then getting him hurt before his third start.

...and Hoyer's done, torn ACL, surgery and IR for him

pbmax
10-06-2013, 03:59 PM
Seachickens cannot play on the road. Colts can play like the Seahawks at home.

Bears got hammered. Their D is getting hammered.

pbmax
10-06-2013, 06:01 PM
This just in: Romo is killing the Broncos defense.

They are running 5 wide empty backfield and the Broncos front can't get to him. At some point John Fox has got to blitz. Peyton might not be able to outscore Romo at this rate.

red
10-06-2013, 06:13 PM
This just in: Romo is killing the Broncos defense.

They are running 5 wide empty backfield and the Broncos front can't get to him. At some point John Fox has got to blitz. Peyton might not be able to outscore Romo at this rate.

he could end up with 600 yards

red
10-06-2013, 06:14 PM
over 500 yards and 5 td's and the game is still on the line

red
10-06-2013, 06:25 PM
i smell OT in big D

broncos just tied it at 48 all with like two and a half minutes left

Rastak
10-06-2013, 06:28 PM
i smell OT in big D

broncos just tied it at 48 all with like two and a half minutes left

Helluva game.

Rastak
10-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Broncs with the pick!

denverYooper
10-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Maybe not.

red
10-06-2013, 06:30 PM
LOL

romo choke job. first he takes a sack, then he gets picked of around his own 20

peyton has the ball for the win with 2 minutes left

wow. way to shit all over a great game with a forced throw. that was favresque right there

denverYooper
10-06-2013, 06:30 PM
Nice seeing the Broncos sweat a little bit playing a non-cupcake. Broncos fans around here have been pretty cocky.

red
10-06-2013, 06:31 PM
great catch

red
10-06-2013, 06:33 PM
this game should prove that defense in the NFL is dead

romo over 500 yards 5 tds.

manning over 400 with at least 4 td's

losing team scores 48

only 1 int in the game

Rastak
10-06-2013, 06:35 PM
Nice seeing the Broncos sweat a little bit playing a non-cupcake. Broncos fans around here have been pretty cocky.

They should be.....

red
10-06-2013, 06:38 PM
They should be.....

i sure as hell wouldn't want to play manning and the broncos right now

pbmax
10-06-2013, 07:32 PM
Romo was the only reason that game was close, defense has far more culpability.

Real culprit is Bill Callahan for sending a RB out with Romo on the last two drives for no reason. He scored 14 points with empty backfield with ZERO pressure. With back in to protect, they sent five and put pressure on Romo. Dumb calls to go away from what was working.

pbmax
10-06-2013, 07:37 PM
You want a QB who is killing his team, its Schaub performing a hit on the Texans.

The no-audible thing was not really a surprise, but his terrible play is not consistent with previous seasons of work. Its like he thinks its the playoffs.

BTW, the no audible thing probably has an impact on 4th Qtr comebacks. QBs who cannot audible are sometimes hamstrung early in the game. When they get desperate in the 4th, having the QB call his own plays is like springing a new coach into the game plan.

pittstang5
10-06-2013, 08:28 PM
Al Michaels just said that Dashon Goldson was expendable because the 49ers were going to draft Eric Reid. I rewound on the DVR to confirm.

Think about that.

digitaldean
10-06-2013, 08:37 PM
You want a QB who is killing his team, its Schaub performing a hit on the Texans.

The no-audible thing was not really a surprise, but his terrible play is not consistent with previous seasons of work. Its like he thinks its the playoffs.

BTW, the no audible thing probably has an impact on 4th Qtr comebacks. QBs who cannot audible are sometimes hamstrung early in the game. When they get desperate in the 4th, having the QB call his own plays is like springing a new coach into the game plan.

Schaub with 2 int's is god awful. They aren't going to go anywhere with him at QB.

Joemailman
10-06-2013, 08:38 PM
Al Michaels just said that Dashon Goldson was expendable because the 49ers were going to draft Eric Reid. I rewound on the DVR to confirm.

Think about that.

They certainly were in a position to trade up because of the extra picks they had. Of course, Goldson was expendable because he was going to be very expensive to sign. They will have some expensive contracts coming up in the near future (Kaepernick, Aldon Smith) and they can't keep every body. Their reasons for letting Goldson go were probably similar to the reasons the Packers didn't sign Jennings.

pittstang5
10-06-2013, 08:48 PM
They certainly were in a position to trade up because of the extra picks they had. Of course, Goldson was expendable because he was going to be very expensive to sign. They will have some expensive contracts coming up in the near future (Kaepernick, Aldon Smith) and they can't keep every body. Their reasons for letting Goldson go were probably similar to the reasons the Packers didn't sign Jennings.

Missing my point - The way Al Michaels said it, the 49ers let Goldson go because they knew they were going to get Reid. How could they? Goldson was signed in March, Draft was in April.

Guiness
10-06-2013, 09:42 PM
Schaub with another int.

He is playing awfully, looks like he has no poise or confidence. He's done like dinner.

denverYooper
10-06-2013, 09:53 PM
Schaub with another int.

He is playing awfully, looks like he has no poise or confidence. He's done like dinner.

To backup DL... He's still on the sidelines with his helmet on, watching the backup play.

Schaub might be broken.

rdanomly
10-06-2013, 09:55 PM
Quick question on the last HOU fumble. Was forward progress stopped, should the play been whistled dead before the strip/fumble?

Freak Out
10-06-2013, 10:21 PM
Schaub is a wreck. Worse than Crosby was last year. Hire a shrink.

pbmax
10-06-2013, 11:03 PM
It would help if there were more than 4 pass plays in the Houston play book: crossing route to TE, outlet to back, out to WR and bomb down the sideline.

San Fran was jumping them all.

Pugger
10-06-2013, 11:37 PM
Schaub with 2 int's is god awful. They aren't going to go anywhere with him at QB.

Didn't he end up with 3?

Pugger
10-06-2013, 11:38 PM
i sure as hell wouldn't want to play manning and the broncos right now

Of course the donkey's D is pretty bad...at least they were on Sunday.

Freak Out
10-07-2013, 01:43 AM
WTF NFL? A late west coast Sunday night game in Oakland? The Raiders are going to beat the Bolts BTW. Surprised they didn't crack open the tomb and roll Al out for this one.

Joemailman
10-07-2013, 06:19 AM
WTF NFL? A late west coast Sunday night game in Oakland? The Raiders are going to beat the Bolts BTW. Surprised they didn't crack open the tomb and roll Al out for this one.

I assume it's because the Raiders and A's use the same field. A's played Saturday night. Must need more time to get field ready for football.

Iron Mike
10-07-2013, 07:20 AM

http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Al-Davis-vampire-3.JPG

Guiness
10-07-2013, 10:13 PM
One of the preseason darlings, the Atlanta Falcons, have certainly fallen on hard times. Down by 10 at the half, still down by 6 in the 4th quarter.

They're playing an unexpectedly competent Jets squad.

Joemailman
10-07-2013, 11:12 PM
One of the preseason darlings, the Atlanta Falcons, have certainly fallen on hard times. Down by 10 at the half, still down by 6 in the 4th quarter.

They're playing an unexpectedly competent Jets squad.

How can this be? Didn't they have a couple big free agent signings in the off season?

pbmax
10-07-2013, 11:17 PM
If the Jets go to the playoffs, everyone media member in New York should be suspended the length of their playoff run.

How would you file this bit of scouting information? Struggles with tight spaces?

http://cdn2.mocksession.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/GENO-SMITH-DRINKING-PROBLEM.gif

Cheesehead Craig
10-08-2013, 10:13 AM
Falcons are like the Texans. Paper champs every year and every year they shit the bed.

Freak Out
10-08-2013, 05:18 PM
Julio Jones is done.......and so are the Falcons. WTF did they trade away for him anyway? Wasn't it a couple of first round picks?

Joemailman
10-08-2013, 05:26 PM
Julio Jones is done.......and so are the Falcons. WTF did they trade away for him anyway? Wasn't it a couple of first round picks?

Two first round picks (2011, 2012), a second-round pick (2011), and two fourth-round picks (2011, 2012) to climb 21 spots to draft the 6-foot-3-inch, 220-pound Jones of Foley, Ala.

Another team suckered into thinking they were "one player away".

pbmax
10-08-2013, 05:34 PM
Two first round picks (2011, 2012), a second-round pick (2011), and two fourth-round picks (2011, 2012) to climb 21 spots to draft the 6-foot-3-inch, 220-pound Jones of Foley, Ala.

Well, at this point they have been one player away several times. Jones, Jackson, Gonzalez, etc.

denverYooper
10-08-2013, 07:44 PM
I heard on our drive time show that the Falcons might be interested in trading Gonzalez.

George Cumby
10-08-2013, 08:25 PM
What about the brain dead play calls right before the half? Who the hell is their O coordinator? Bull winkle?

pbmax
10-08-2013, 10:44 PM
I heard on our drive time show that the Falcons might be interested in trading Gonzalez.

Twitter was saying both Gonzalez and the Falcons preferred the status quo. Never know what they really have in mind though.

mraynrand
10-08-2013, 10:48 PM
Falcons are like the Texans. Paper champs every year and every year they shit the bed.

Watching that game, I was thinking that the Falcons are in reality what Wist thinks the Packers are up there in his convoluted, yet utterly rigid mind: Poor run blocking and pass protecting O-line, and a porous defense with weak, poor tackling defensive backs, and undersized linemen.

mraynrand
10-08-2013, 10:54 PM

a one, a two, a one, two, three!

http://www.sportsworldcards.com/ekmps/shops/sportsworld/images/green-bay-packers-john-hadl-222-topps-1976-nfl-american-football-trading-card-6479-p.jpg

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/195472911.html

http://media.jrn.com/images/starrandhadl30513.jpg

MrAynRand's Dad (in disgust): "The Packers Just traded for a washed up QB"
MrAynRand (in surprise): Why did the Packers get Richard Nixon for their QB?

Cheesehead Craig
10-09-2013, 08:56 AM
Twitter was saying both Gonzalez and the Falcons preferred the status quo. Never know what they really have in mind though.

Of course the rumors are flying about Gonzo going back to KC.

Pugger
10-09-2013, 10:27 AM
Watching that game, I was thinking that the Falcons are in reality what Wist thinks the Packers are up there in his convoluted, yet utterly rigid mind: Poor run blocking and pass protecting O-line, and a porous defense with weak, poor tackling defensive backs, and undersized linemen.

Has Wist been around since we beat the loins?

pbmax
10-09-2013, 10:52 AM
Has Wist been around since we beat the loins?

Having a running game with players drafted by Ted has confused wist as much as McCarthy. :)

mraynrand
10-09-2013, 11:05 AM
Having a running game with players drafted by Ted has confused wist as much as McCarthy. :)

Ha ha! Repped. Wasn't it a pleasure to see the packers stick it to Detroit right in the center of their 'vaunted' d-line? Sweeet!

red
10-09-2013, 11:17 AM
a one, a two, a one, two, three!

http://www.sportsworldcards.com/ekmps/shops/sportsworld/images/green-bay-packers-john-hadl-222-topps-1976-nfl-american-football-trading-card-6479-p.jpg

THAT'S JOHN HADL? that's who we sacrificed 2 decades for?

guy looks like a old drunken Bozo the clown

hoosier
10-09-2013, 11:19 AM
Separated at birth:

http://www.sportsworldcards.com/ekmps/shops/sportsworld/images/green-bay-packers-john-hadl-222-topps-1976-nfl-american-football-trading-card-6479-p.jpghttp://most.themost10.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/George-Costanza-621x325.jpg

Fritz
10-09-2013, 12:57 PM

Well, that's how he played.

And no, Wist has not been around. He said, last time he was on, that his ticker was bad.

I am not sure whether this tough, physical defensive line and this tough running game of the Packers is making Wist feel better or worse.

mraynrand
10-09-2013, 01:26 PM

Go easy on us balding guys: That's how I look when I get up in the morning before I get the Brylcreem worked in - sans the sideburns of course...

swede
10-09-2013, 03:38 PM

The Packers would have been much better off if its front office decision-making had been handled by the 9th Grade Student Council from Notre Dame de la Baie Academy from 1970-1989.

In fact, it was rumored that a 2nd Grade reading group from Dewey Elementary, known as the "Blackbirds," engineered the details of the Hadl trade while on a field trip to Lambeau. Ever after, visiting school groups were not allowed near the phones.

George Cumby
10-09-2013, 07:33 PM
Go easy on us balding guys: That's how I look when I get up in the morning before I get the Brylcreem worked in - sans the sideburns of course...

Just tell everyone you're a solar powered sex machine.

Teamcheez1
10-10-2013, 08:23 PM
Hard to get a good read on the Bears against the Giants.

Their offense looks better, perhaps more controlled. The defense looks like it has slipped a notch.

KYPack
10-10-2013, 09:27 PM
Eli is out to lunch again.
2 picks in first 5 passes one for a pick 6.
Might be time for Coughlin to hang 'em up.
Giants are a shambles

Pugger
10-10-2013, 09:35 PM
Giants are really bad and it would be a real knee slapper if NY could find a way to beat Chicago but I don't see it happening without a gift TD.

Maxie the Taxi
10-11-2013, 08:27 AM
The Giants are going to beat someone. Just hope they don't wait till mid-November to do it. That Reuben Randle guy is a piece of work. Brilliant one moment; moronic the next.

Patler
10-11-2013, 09:13 AM
The Giants are going to beat someone. Just hope they don't wait till mid-November to do it. That Reuben Randle guy is a piece of work. Brilliant one moment; moronic the next.

I suspect that by mid-November they will be playing much, much better than they are right now.
As they say, in the NFL it doesn't matter so much who you play, it matter more when you play them.

Pugger
10-11-2013, 09:15 AM
I suspect that by mid-November they will be playing much, much better than they are right now.
As they say, in the NFL it doesn't matter so much who you play, it matter more when you play them.

And hopefully we'll be playing much much better by mid-November too. :wink:

Maxie the Taxi
10-11-2013, 09:28 AM

You're right. It's individual breakdowns and, frankly, bad luck that's killing them. They have talent. Take last night. A Randle/Manning miscue puts them in a hole. If Manning's last pass is six inches lower, the Giants likely win.

Patler
10-11-2013, 09:41 AM
And hopefully we'll be playing much much better by mid-November too. :wink:

That, I think, is one of the very encouraging things about this team. It seems like it has a lot of room to grow on both sides of the ball. It would be nice to see them playing their best at the end of the season.

KYPack
10-11-2013, 09:55 AM
The Giants came back. They had the ball late in the 4th quarter with a chance to go ahead. Evidently, Brandon Jacobs found an old time machine somewhere and transported himself back to 2007. Man, he was running wild out in the secondary, bulldozing people. It won't last, he could barely walk by the end of the game, but it was a good time for the old bastard.