PDA

View Full Version : Studs and duds vs. Detroit

digitaldean
10-06-2013, 08:33 PM
Studs: O-line and Eddie Lacy...running game is helping immensely
James Jones, big play of game and got robbed of a TD.
Nick Perry, minus the faux ankle injury, got 2 sacks.
Mason Crosby, 4 FGs, quietly getting consistency back.
Rodgers did just miss a couple but had 2 sure TDs either dropped or robbed

Duds: Andy Taylor, had a sure TD that he flat out dropped, then he comes of the field with a smile on his face.
Johnathan Franklin, had another fumble that Rodgers bailed him out of. I see him inactive vs BAL next week if Starks can go.
Red zone offense, still having some problems getting TDs vs FGs

Joemailman
10-06-2013, 08:41 PM
I thought Mike Neal was a stud.

pittstang5
10-06-2013, 08:41 PM
Dud - Special Teams and Slocum. Special Teams suck worse than ever this year. Slocum's to blame, right?

Joemailman
10-06-2013, 08:43 PM
Dud - Special Teams and Slocum. Special Teams suck worse than ever this year. Slocum's to blame, right?

Yes, but he can't be fired until Wednesday.

Bossman641
10-06-2013, 08:46 PM
Studs: O-line and Eddie Lacy...running game is helping immensely
James Jones, big play of game and got robbed of a TD.
Nick Perry, minus the faux ankle injury, got 2 sacks.
Mason Crosby, 4 FGs, quietly getting consistency back.
Rodgers did just miss a couple but had 2 sure TDs either dropped or robbed

Duds: Andy Taylor, had a sure TD that he flat out dropped, then he comes of the field with a smile on his face.
Johnathan Franklin, had another fumble that Rodgers bailed him out of. I see him inactive vs BAL next week if Starks can go.
Red zone offense, still having some problems getting TDs vs FGs

Ryan Taylor - digitaldean is a dud for screwing up my name

HarveyWallbangers
10-06-2013, 09:08 PM
Crosby had 5 FGs

red
10-06-2013, 09:18 PM
Crosby had 5 FGs

yup, lets not sell mase short. it was 5. and it looked windy during the game. and all 5 kicks were dead perfect

pbmax
10-06-2013, 09:34 PM
He had five and hit one longer than 50.

I am going to nominate Jordy for stud after two clutch catches for first downs. Also for developing into Chris Carter on the sideline.

Capers for stud for correctly sussing out that despite not having Johnson and Burleson, the Lions would still try to get the passing game fired up in three WR formations. He had to set a record for nickel this season.

Dud for Linehan for making that his plan. Would have loved to see more of Bush versus the big three guys.

Boykin for dud for his terrible holding at the end of the game.

Dud for Cobb and catching long line drive punts at the 8 instead of letting them go.

digitaldean
10-06-2013, 09:40 PM

Sorry...didn't mean this guy http://www.theologicalmatters.com/wp-content/uploads/andy_griffith_blog.jpg

And meant this guy....http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/nfl/players/full/14213.png&w=350&h=254
:smile:

digitaldean
10-06-2013, 09:42 PM
He had five and hit one longer than 50.

I am going to nominate Jordy for stud after two clutch catches for first downs. Also for developing into Chris Carter on the sideline.

Capers for stud for correctly sussing out that despite not having Johnson and Burleson, the Lions would still try to get the passing game fired up in three WR formations. He had to set a record for nickel this season.

Dud for Linehan for making that his plan. Would have loved to see more of Bush versus the big three guys.

Dud for Cobb and catching long line drive punts at the 8 instead of letting them go.

I agree about the ST screwups. They haven't sorted them out yet and it's week 5. As for Cobb, he also have to get a stud for the 67 yard run.

denverYooper
10-06-2013, 09:56 PM
Lacy fumbled too, didn't he?

HarveyWallbangers
10-06-2013, 09:59 PM
Lacy fumbled too, didn't he?

It looked like an issue on the handoff.

digitaldean
10-06-2013, 09:59 PM
Yes, Lacy did fumble but fell on top of it. Ball security by the RB's better be at a premium next week vs. BAL

This is getting to be a bad trend.

Harlan Huckleby
10-06-2013, 10:08 PM

See, now you're just doubling-down on your mistake.

I nominate the ref who called holding on Boykin for dud.

Harlan Huckleby
10-06-2013, 10:09 PM
I thought Mike Neal was a stud.

Just in time. Looks like that linebacker experiment has turned into a starting job.

George Cumby
10-06-2013, 10:37 PM
Just in time. Looks like that linebacker experiment has turned into a starting job.

He seems to be comfortable standing up, doesn't he? Somehow that experiment is working out. Now if Datone can start to blossom....

Harlan Huckleby
10-06-2013, 11:01 PM
He seems to be comfortable standing up, doesn't he? Somehow that experiment is working out. Now if Datone can start to blossom....

He looks a little better every week. But I was thinking darkly of the injury to Matthews.

pbmax
10-06-2013, 11:06 PM
See, now you're just doubling-down on your mistake.

I nominate the ref who called holding on Boykin for dud.

If Boykin stands still, its a first and four new downs to let the clock run. Heck, Boykin could have tackled Lacy and still been better off.

Harlan Huckleby
10-06-2013, 11:08 PM
maybe they should coach that

Jimx29
10-06-2013, 11:54 PM
yup, lets not sell mase short. it was 5. and it looked windy during the game. and all 5 kicks were dead perfect

Which makes it now 21 in a row starting last season. Clearly out of his funk

run pMc
10-07-2013, 08:20 AM

Yeah, I was wondering who let the guy from Duran Duran on the field.

Nice to see Perry get a couple of sacks -- I think that will help his confidence and keep impatient fans from calling him a bust after 10 games.
Speaking of confidence, Mason Crosby! His FGs were very important, and hopefully he can carry that into the later months. Maybe the new seats help the wind?

Seemed like Lacy was automatic for 4 yards...kinda liked that they stayed in manageable down/distance situations. Franklin should be glued to bench after fumbling two games in a row. He'll learn from it and get better. EDS didn't get stomped and the OL held up against a tough DL.
Burnett played pretty good considering he hadn't played. Thought the secondary gave up some garbage yards to Stafford in 4Q but in general played pretty good against a receiving group that was missing Megatron.
Pretty sure it was M.D.Jennings that got jacked by Pettigrew though, and McMillian's penalty was dumb...I hope they find someone else to play the FS spot next to Burnett.

Cheesehead Craig
10-07-2013, 08:38 AM
Would have loved to see more of bush versus the big three guys.

You know, there's a lot of websites and videos where you can see that action.

Maxie the Taxi
10-07-2013, 08:45 AM
I didn't get to see the game, but from the Gamebook stats Hawk was a stud (7 solo tackles; 2 assists for team lead; and one pass defensed). Plus, House had 6 unassisted tackles. On offense, Finley was targeted 6 times and caught all six.

Patler
10-07-2013, 08:51 AM
On offense, Finley was targeted 6 times and caught all six.

Am I mistaken? I think I remember him letting a third and short pass get away from him.

Cheesehead Craig
10-07-2013, 08:58 AM
Am I mistaken? I think I remember him letting a third and short pass get away from him.

Wasn't that Jones?

Tony Oday
10-07-2013, 09:00 AM
Finley dropped two that I remember.

ThunderDan
10-07-2013, 09:09 AM

There was a defensive holding on the play that was accepted which negated the drop.

3irty1
10-07-2013, 09:17 AM
Best day the linebacking unit has ever had if you ask me.

Neal, Perry, Hawk, Jones, and Clay all had great days. I'm not a big Hawk fan but I'll become one if he keeps up the play with his hands. His play is inversely proportional to his pay I'm thinking because he's been improving all year.

Teamcheez1
10-07-2013, 09:52 AM
I looked at the box score and didn't see any stats for Datone Jones. Did he even see the field yesterday?

Upnorth
10-07-2013, 10:32 AM
Yeah, I was wondering who let the guy from Duran Duran on the field..

And now i'm going to have Reflex stuck in my head all day, flippin jerk!@

Lacy is looking good, but so is Franklin (when not fumbling the ball) and didn't Starks have an One Hundred yards game this year? To me I say the stud is Run blocking this year.

mraynrand
10-07-2013, 10:37 AM
Duds: Ryan Taylor, had a sure TD that he flat out dropped, then he comes of the field with a smile on his face.

Tom Crabtree would have caught that ball - and it still would have been awful to look at his smiling face:

http://www.tcrabtree83.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/crabhallo-430x720.jpg

Patler
10-07-2013, 10:41 AM
There was a defensive holding on the play that was accepted which negated the drop.

That's right. Now I remember. Thanks. The holding was on the opposite side of the field, and Rodgers came off his first receiver and threw instead to Finley, who let it get away.

red
10-07-2013, 10:42 AM

i think i remember that. finley did drop it, but i think there was a flag on the play that negated it

red
10-07-2013, 10:43 AM

thats the one

Patler
10-07-2013, 10:44 AM
I looked at the box score and didn't see any stats for Datone Jones. Did he even see the field yesterday?

Datone who? Wasn't their first round pick this year a linebacker named Mike Neal? :smile:
He's on fire!

PA Pack Fan
10-07-2013, 10:45 AM
How is it no one has mentioned Morgan Burnett and his touchdown saving deflection?? STUD!

denverYooper
10-07-2013, 10:53 AM
How is it no one has mentioned Morgan Burnett and his touchdown saving deflection?? STUD!

Good mention. He had another play or two that weren't flashy but stanched a couple potential big gains.

ThunderDan
10-07-2013, 11:03 AM

Yes, Datone played yesterday.

ThunderDan
10-07-2013, 11:05 AM

Not sure if that was going to be a TD but it would have been first and goal from the 5 at the worst. The safety was coming across the field and would have hit Taylor around the 5.

HarveyWallbangers
10-07-2013, 11:07 AM
That's right. Now I remember. Thanks. The holding was on the opposite side of the field, and Rodgers came off his first receiver and threw instead to Finley, who let it get away.

I think it was another one where the defender knocked it away as he was catching it. Needs to come down with it, but I don't think it was just an easy drop as the defender made a good play there.

MadtownPacker
Tom Crabtree would have caught that ball - and it still would have been awful to look at his smiling face:

http://www.tcrabtree83.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/crabhallo-430x720.jpg
Aynrand - Bretsky dud award for focusing so much on a dudes face.

ThunderDan

The hold was on James Jones. He beat his CB and would have had a TD if the safety couldn't have gotten to him. They ran a similar play latter when the CB didn't grab Jones and it went for the long TD.

pbmax
10-07-2013, 11:09 AM
The hold was on James Jones. He beat his CB and would have had a TD if the safety couldn't have gotten to him. They ran a similar play latter when the CB didn't grab Jones and it went for the long TD.

How was the game? Looked like beautiful weather.

Smidgeon
10-07-2013, 11:36 AM
Good mention. He had another play or two that weren't flashy but stanched a couple potential big gains.

I was thinking about Burnett while I watched the game yesterday.

Collins didn't make you fear the middle because he hit like a truck. He made you fear the middle because he just took the ball away from you. Same with Ed Reed.

Polomalu could tackle anything from anywhere.

Bob Sanders would hit you so hard you still felt it the next time you faced him.

Burnett is less flashy. I think his calling card won't be that he makes big plays but that he prevents plays. Completions aren't made, big plays aren't made. He's just there and nothing breaks down in front of him.

ThunderDan
10-07-2013, 11:37 AM
How was the game? Looked like beautiful weather.

Fantastic day to be at Lambeau. We are by the south end zone so we started the day in the sun and it was actually hot. As soon as the shadow from the new upper deck hit our seats at halftime I was glad I had brought a sweatshirt to the game.

We sure couldn't feel the wind at our seats but you could see the American flag blowing pretty good at the top of the stadium. Also, kickoffs going one direction were returnable and the other direction were out of the end zone.

It seemed pretty clear to me after the game who the cream of the crop is in the NFC Central. It is the Packers who were far and away better than DET. Both my wife and I came out of the game and thought that DET had played well but were out played in all phases of the game by the Pack except special teams.

GB >> DET > CHI >>> MINN >>> TB

mraynrand
10-07-2013, 12:30 PM
I think it was another one where the defender knocked it away as he was catching it. Needs to come down with it, but I don't think it was just an easy drop as the defender made a good play there.

That doesn't count as a 'drop' - it counts as a 'pass defensed'

mraynrand
10-07-2013, 12:32 PM
It seemed pretty clear to me after the game who the cream of the crop is in the NFC Central. It is the Packers who were far and away better than DET. Both my wife and I came out of the game and thought that DET had played well but were out played in all phases of the game by the Pack except special teams.

GB >> DET > CHI >>> MINN >>> TB

well played sir. That game in Detroit will look a lot different. I put GB as slightly better than Detroit. Packers need to solve red zone woes or will be 10 win season at best.

ThunderDan
10-07-2013, 12:40 PM
well played sir. That game in Detroit will look a lot different. I put GB as slightly better than Detroit. Packers need to solve red zone woes or will be 10 win season at best.

The GB-DET will look different in Detroit because I will have 7 pounds of turkey in my stomach and I will be in a food induced coma by the second half missing DET furious comeback to lose 31-24 to the Pack.

ThunderDan
10-07-2013, 12:44 PM
Funny note from the game.

The Packers get announced for the game and the crowd is going wild. Finally they announce Clay and it is really loud. All of a sudden a loud piercing eagle cry is heard and the crowd goes silent. The Oneida Nation was running an ad on the jumbotron. Maybe they could find a better time to run that?

Pack Attack58
10-07-2013, 01:24 PM
Studs:
Mason Crosby
James Jones
Randall Cobb
Eddie Lacy
Mike Neal
Nick Perry

Duds:
Ryan Taylor - really? catch the friggin ball
Jonathan Franklin - protect the rock rook
Special Team/Slocum - teach these guys to let punts go inside the 10. Know the rules on KO. If you move a guy in move someone else outside!
Red Zone Playcalling - Gotta get TD's. What the hell was that 3rd & 1 call? Thats why you drafted Eddie Lacy.

HarveyWallbangers
10-07-2013, 01:42 PM
Cobb, Jones, and Nelson should all be labeled as studs. Nelson had no drops, two acrobatic catches, and converted some big third downs.

pbmax
10-07-2013, 01:50 PM
Cobb, Jones, and Nelson should all be labeled as studs. Nelson had no drops, two acrobatic catches, and converted some big third downs.

You cannot be a Stud if you don't know where the 10 yard line is. Cobb should go on both lists.

Cheesehead Craig
10-07-2013, 03:19 PM
I don't watch enough of other team's games but I don't think there's a better WR on the sidelines in getting those feet down than Nelson. It's ridiculous how good he is at that.

Maxie the Taxi
10-07-2013, 03:36 PM
I don't know, PB. That 10 yard rule may have changed now that punters know how to make the ball bounce backwards.

Fritz
10-07-2013, 05:30 PM
Studs:
Mason Crosby
James Jones
Randall Cobb
Eddie Lacy
Mike Neal
Nick Perry

Duds:
Ryan Taylor - really? catch the friggin ball
Jonathan Franklin - protect the rock rook
Special Team/Slocum - teach these guys to let punts go inside the 10. Know the rules on KO. If you move a guy in move someone else outside!
Red Zone Playcalling - Gotta get TD's. What the hell was that 3rd & 1 call? Thats why you drafted Eddie Lacy.

Nailed the list, though I would add Sitton and Lang to the "studs" list.

Maybe I'd add the marching band guy who complained about whatever Dominic Raiola said to the band to the duds list. Come on, marching band dude! All ya had to do was ask ol' Dom how he liked playing in the SB. Oh wait! He never did! Sorry, dude! I meant, how'd ya like playing in the NFC Championship game? Oops, I forgot - you never did. Wait, wait - how did you like the feeling of winning that playoff game in New Orleans a couple years ago? Oh, wait, you don't know what it's like to win a playoff game at all! Sorry, dude!

pbmax
10-07-2013, 06:38 PM
I don't know, PB. That 10 yard rule may have changed now that punters know how to make the ball bounce backwards.

Maybe, but I wish he would have found out. Perhaps it was revealed to Slocum on the tape, but their punter is pretty new. Should make him prove he can do it.

HarveyWallbangers
10-07-2013, 07:09 PM
Nailed the list, though I would add Sitton and Lang to the "studs" list.

Maybe I'd add the marching band guy who complained about whatever Dominic Raiola said to the band to the duds list. Come on, marching band dude! All ya had to do was ask ol' Dom how he liked playing in the SB. Oh wait! He never did! Sorry, dude! I meant, how'd ya like playing in the NFC Championship game? Oops, I forgot - you never did. Wait, wait - how did you like the feeling of winning that playoff game in New Orleans a couple years ago? Oh, wait, you don't know what it's like to win a playoff game at all! Sorry, dude!

I'd keep Lang off just for his pathetic attempt on a block on a screen to Lacy, I believe, that would have netted huge yards. Three guys out front to block. One defender. Lang whiffs on that defender.

Harlan Huckleby
10-07-2013, 07:14 PM
I don't think there is that much to say about the defense from this game, the Lions were crippled.

I just give the offensive line a studly.

ThunderDan
10-07-2013, 07:22 PM
I don't think there is that much to say about the defense from this game, the Lions were crippled.

I just give the offensive line a studly.

Holding an NFL team to less than 200 yards before the last drive is studly. I don't care who you are playing.

pbmax
10-07-2013, 11:09 PM
I'd keep Lang off just for his pathetic attempt on a block on a screen to Lacy, I believe, that would have netted huge yards. Three guys out front to block. One defender. Lang whiffs on that defender.

Lang did have to deal with Suh most of the day. He was OK. The screen pass was a dud.

Upnorth
10-08-2013, 08:06 AM
So just read that prior to Sunday the lions had given up three sacks, which was league low. We got five in one game so now I'm more impressed with our pass rush. Were they missing anyone on the oline?

Guiness
10-08-2013, 08:16 AM
So just read that prior to Sunday the lions had given up three sacks, which was league low. We got five in one game so now I'm more impressed with our pass rush. Were they missing anyone on the oline?

I don't think so, but Burleson and Johnson being out could've resulted in more coverage sacks. Broyles hasn't been effective.

run pMc
10-08-2013, 10:46 AM
I'm sure missing Calvin Johnson changed the way they covered the receivers and gave them a little more flexibility to pressure Stafford. If Bush and Johnson are both healthy it's a different story and Capers pressures more selectively. (Wow, that was a funny sentence if your mind's in the gutter.)

Guiness
10-08-2013, 11:11 AM
I'm sure missing Calvin Johnson changed the way they covered the receivers and gave them a little more flexibility to pressure Stafford. If Bush and Johnson are both healthy it's a different story and Capers pressures more selectively. (Wow, that was a funny sentence if your mind's in the gutter.)

Was Bush limited? I thought he was a full go.

Pugger
10-08-2013, 03:05 PM
Would you guys consider the loins' D line better than the Ravens right now?

run pMc
10-09-2013, 08:06 AM
tough to say; Ravens play a hybrid 3-4, so it's a different scheme. Not sure they are better, but I'd say Detroit has more talent with Suh, Fairley, and Ansah all being top 15 picks. Ngata is a beast and EDS is going to have his hands full. For those who were high on drafting DT Brandon Williams, we'll get a chance to see him play.

This will be a tough, physical game, and with Matthews out and no word on Brad Jones it's going to be a good test of GB's depth and coaching. Hoping it turns out better than the Cincy game.

gbgary
10-10-2013, 12:45 PM
my timing for a restroom run was a dud. missed the only Packers td of the day. got back to my seat to see the replay.
the game-day weather was a stud after two days of rain.

Fritz
10-10-2013, 01:55 PM

In fact, they actually got a guy back (Jason Fox, I think) who'd been hurt either in the last preseason or first regular season game. So no, no injuries.

mraynrand
10-10-2013, 02:56 PM
I understand that as part of his plea bargain, Kwame Kilpatrick, former Detroit Mayor, gets to fetch the tee from the opening kickoff on Thanksgiving. Co-incidentally, the sixth home game is "throwing spear" give-away day at Ford Field - a free authentic throwing spear will be given out to the first 10,000 fans through the gate.

swede
10-10-2013, 03:45 PM
I understand that as part of his plea bargain, Kwame Kilpatrick, former Detroit Mayor, gets to fetch the tee from the opening kickoff on Thanksgiving. Co-incidentally, the sixth home game is "throwing spear" give-away day at Ford Field - a free authentic throwing spear will be given out to the first 10,000 fans through the gate.

What could go wrong?

mraynrand
10-11-2013, 06:47 AM
What could go wrong?

10 cent spear night!