PDA

View Full Version : Freeman Signs With Vikings

pbmax
10-06-2013, 11:13 PM
Josh Freeman moves from Pewter to Purple.

Brian McIntyre ‏@brian_mcintyre 26m
Freeman's 1-yr deal with Vikings worth $3M, per @AdamSchefter. Add in termination pay from Bucs, Freeman will earn $11.43M in 2013

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 15m
Besides paying Freeman $8.6M for 2013, and he makes $3M in MIN, by cutting him Bucs lose out on comp pick would get for him if left as FA

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 4m
Josh Freeman talked with 10 teams. Had plenty of opportunities. He goes to a team that made the playoffs in 2012. And Vikes got better at QB

Jimx29
10-06-2013, 11:55 PM
man, them vikes sure are an entertaining bunch. should be good radio tomorrow a.m.

Guiness
10-06-2013, 11:56 PM
What an absolute cluster fuck down there in TB. Could this have been handled any worse at all?

Reid and the Eagles sent TO home for the rest of the year when he got pissy. Not sure why TB didn't do that. Allow his agent to talk to whoever he wants, but don't release him.

I guess this makes sense for both Freeman and the Vikes. They didn't have the biggest need, Cassel was playing ok, but he's not the long term solution, Freeman might be and they get to have a long look at him.

run pMc
10-07-2013, 08:07 AM
What an absolute cluster fuck down there in TB. Could this have been handled any worse at all?

Reid and the Eagles sent TO home for the rest of the year when he got pissy. Not sure why TB didn't do that. Allow his agent to talk to whoever he wants, but don't release him.

I guess this makes sense for both Freeman and the Vikes. They didn't have the biggest need, Cassel was playing ok, but he's not the long term solution, Freeman might be and they get to have a long look at him.

Yeah, I'm surprised they did this. Schiano is probably gone after this year, and Freeman probably wasn't going to stick around either...but at least you could get a comp pick for him when he signed elsewhere. I'm surprised he didn't sign with an NFL South team to "stick it" to Tampa a la Favre.

As for Minny, this tells me that they don't think Cassel is the long term answer, and neither is Ponder. In fact, this tells me Ponder is done. Unless it's garbage time, I don't see how Freeman plays -- it's midseason and he'll have a new team, playbook, etc., to absorb, and his work habits were called into question by Schiano. Are the Vikings tanking? I get the part about taking a look at him, but for $3M?
Is this a hot mess, or a strategic hot mess?

Cheesehead Craig
10-07-2013, 08:33 AM
I'm really surprised by MN. I was convinced they were going to go with what they had in Cassel and Ponder for the season and then likely draft a new QB.

But yeah, Ponder is now done in MN. I'm not sure where his future is but he's gonna have to get used to being a backup though, because that's all he really is. It will be interesting to see what offer the Vikes give Freeman this offseason or if he uses his stint in MN for a bigger payday elsewhere.

cheesner
10-07-2013, 09:26 AM
When is the last time a QB has 25 or more starts for a team; struggles; gets cut; and goes on to be a great player? I'm sure there has to be at least one. Doug Williams (not a great player but had a few very good seasons for Skins)?

pbmax
10-07-2013, 09:32 AM
When is the last time a QB has 25 or more starts for a team; struggles; gets cut; and goes on to be a great player? I'm sure there has to be at least one. Doug Williams (not a great player but had a few very good seasons for Skins)?

Goes on to be great player for how long? Brad Johnson, Randall Cunningham and Moon have done that.

Does Plunkett count? Erik Kramer?

Freak Out
10-07-2013, 10:01 AM
Plunkett counts.

ThunderDan
10-07-2013, 10:08 AM
Goes on to be great player for how long? Brad Johnson, Randall Cunningham and Moon have done that.

Does Plunkett count? Erik Kramer?

How about Steve Young? Maybe he wasn't cut but he sucked ass in TB.

cheesner
10-07-2013, 10:18 AM
I was thinking more of young players who just didn't develop with their first team.

Moon doesn't count - he had a great career in Houston before going to the Vikes
Brad Johnson - he may count - remember him being good after his first team
Cunningham - He had good career with Philly - not sure if he was cut for performance issues from philly or injury

Plunket - Plunket counts - this is best example

Steve Young didn't want to play for TB. All of TB sucked ass - cant say it was just Young. Suspect TB would have liked to keep him and develop the team around him.

Upnorth
10-07-2013, 10:27 AM
I wonder if the queens thought it was Antonio Freeman who was available and they wanted another GB player?

mraynrand
10-07-2013, 10:31 AM
Jeff George!

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/1108/eye.black/images/jeff-george-and-wife.jpg

ThunderDan
10-07-2013, 07:19 PM
Just thought of this while mowing the yard tonight. If Freeman starts for Minn this year; G Jennings will have had as many starting QBs in Minn in 1 year as his whole time in GB.

Gregg has got to be loving it up there with the Vikes.

Freak Out
10-07-2013, 07:31 PM
Was Jeff George good anywhere in the NFL?

George Cumby
10-07-2013, 07:40 PM
Atl

Freak Out
10-07-2013, 07:42 PM
George's record with the Falcons was 16-19; he had the best completion percentage (60.5) of his career with 50 touchdowns and 32 interceptions.

Guiness
10-07-2013, 08:05 PM
Just thought of this while mowing the yard tonight. If Freeman starts for Minn this year; G Jennings will have had as many starting QBs in Minn in 1 year as his whole time in GB.

Gregg has got to be loving it up there with the Vikes.

but they respect him, and there's no brainwashing!

Cleft Crusty
10-08-2013, 09:33 AM
Was Jeff George good anywhere in the NFL?

He crapped out at Indy, but then had winning years with Atlanta ('95) and Minnesota ('99)

MadScientist
10-08-2013, 11:20 AM
Freeman is now the highest paid QB in MN, and that is not counting what he gets from TB. The good news is that Freeman will have to play soon, and will likely be limited with the playbook for the rest of the season. The bad news is that it means that the Ponder era is over.

It looks like MN has their very own Jay Cutler now. Talented (if they can fix his mechanics, which is not likely to happen during the season), but that body is attached to a head with a pissy attitude.

Rastak
10-08-2013, 06:20 PM
Freeman is now the highest paid QB in MN, and that is not counting what he gets from TB. The good news is that Freeman will have to play soon, and will likely be limited with the playbook for the rest of the season. The bad news is that it means that the Ponder era is over.

It looks like MN has their very own Jay Cutler now. Talented (if they can fix his mechanics, which is not likely to happen during the season), but that body is attached to a head with a pissy attitude.

Freeman got this reputation this year....so maybe true or might be the a-hole running the Bucs....I haven't met the man myself.

Base salary doesn't include bonus methinks.

In order of pay:

Cassel 3.7 Mil cap number
Ponder 2.7 Mil cap number
Freeman 2 Mil prorated

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/07/freemans-actual-pay-2-million/

edit: I think they'd like to get him on the field to see what he has before his one year deal runs out of course.

Teamcheez1
10-08-2013, 06:46 PM
If he plays well for a few games, what makes us think he will stay with the Vikes? He will be a free agent able to sign to the highest bidder. The Vikes could franchise him for $15M+ dollars, but that would be very risky. I suppose it has to be better what they have now, but time will tell.

HarveyWallbangers
10-08-2013, 07:36 PM
I actually like this move for Minnesota. Low risk for a player who has potential to be a solid starter.

Guiness
10-08-2013, 08:28 PM
Freeman got this reputation this year....so maybe true or might be the a-hole running the Bucs....I haven't met the man myself.

Base salary doesn't include bonus methinks.

In order of pay:

Cassel 3.7 Mil cap number
Ponder 2.7 Mil cap number
Freeman 2 Mil prorated

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/07/freemans-actual-pay-2-million/

edit: I think they'd like to get him on the field to see what he has before his one year deal runs out of course.

That $2M prorated works out the same as a $3M annual contract.

We won't go into what he's collected already...$6.5 I think?

Rastak
10-08-2013, 08:55 PM
That $2M prorated works out the same as a $3M annual contract.

We won't go into what he's collected already...$6.5 I think?

Courtesy of TB.

Not a bad year for Mr. Freeman. Get's away from the lunatic and augments his already nice payday by 2 MIL.

George Cumby
10-08-2013, 08:57 PM
Courtesy of TB.

Not a bad year for Mr. Freeman. Get's away from the lunatic and augments his already nice payday by 2 MIL.

So, Ras, what's the vibe in Viking Nation? Are the fans jazzed, bummed or ambivalent?

Rastak
10-08-2013, 08:58 PM
If he plays well for a few games, what makes us think he will stay with the Vikes? He will be a free agent able to sign to the highest bidder. The Vikes could franchise him for $15M+ dollars, but that would be very risky. I suppose it has to be better what they have now, but time will tell.

Absolutely true.

That said, if he's a happy guy and still in therapy from TB he might be inclined to stay.

Rastak
10-08-2013, 09:04 PM
So, Ras, what's the vibe in Viking Nation? Are the fans jazzed, bummed or ambivalent?

Greets George. I think everyone is confused because the Frazier/Spielman speak. There is no official clarity on anything.

The very small sample of fans I know think it's worth a shot. Overall the unwashed masses think he's Cassel number 2 I think.

My personal opinion is that Ponder just isn't going to work out. Cassel had a couple good years and Freeman was a guy I thought had lots of promise. As Harv said, low risk. I don't think Spielman thinks Cassel is a long term guy and perhaps Freeman might be. If they lose game after game it's a good draft for QBs.

mraynrand
10-08-2013, 10:31 PM
Freeman has better physical skills than Culpepper. But there's no Moss, the O-line isn't great in pass pro, and who knows why he flaked out. But sometimes a change of scenery can work wonders - just recall Prince Hal the drunken rogue in the presence of Falstaff, but shortly thereafter the gallant king to be defeating the prideful Hotspur in single combat.

George Cumby
10-08-2013, 10:47 PM
Greets George. I think everyone is confused because the Frazier/Spielman speak. There is no official clarity on anything.

The very small sample of fans I know think it's worth a shot. Overall the unwashed masses think he's Cassel number 2 I think.

My personal opinion is that Ponder just isn't going to work out. Cassel had a couple good years and Freeman was a guy I thought had lots of promise. As Harv said, low risk. I don't think Spielman thinks Cassel is a long term guy and perhaps Freeman might be. If they lose game after game it's a good draft for QBs.

Gotcha'. Thanks for the insight.

mraynrand
10-08-2013, 10:56 PM
BTW, in the above analogy, Cutler would be Hotspur, in case anyone wondered.

run pMc
10-09-2013, 09:00 AM
I think it was Souhan who had a column that outlined how he thinks the Vikings would like this to play out:

Ponder's rib injury keeps him on the sideline
Cassel starts this week's game
Freeman grasps enough of the playbook to start the week after and take over from there, plays well enough to win chase down the rest of the division (or at least be competitive).

I like the move in that it's low risk, it gives them a chance to see if Freeman can play for them, and besides Ponder did not build on his improvement by last season's end. I've heard teams know if they have a keeper at QB by 32 games; I think the Vikings know what they have in Ponder and would like him as a backup.

Freeman will benefit from having Peterson and Jennings/Simpson, but I don't know if he's going to be better than Stafford, for example.
Basically, when he's bad, he's as bad as Ponder can be, but when he's good he's better than Ponder can be. The Vikes are banking on the upside.

I half expected them to bring Matt Flynn in as well -- corner the market in backup QB's.

HarveyWallbangers
10-09-2013, 09:15 AM
Freeman has better physical skills than Culpepper. But there's no Moss, the O-line isn't great in pass pro, and who knows why he flaked out. But sometimes a change of scenery can work wonders - just recall Prince Hal the drunken rogue in the presence of Falstaff, but shortly thereafter the gallant king to be defeating the prideful Hotspur in single combat.

I disagree about his physical skills. Culpepper was faster and more accurate. They are similar size and the arm strength is similar, but Culpepper was better physically than Freeman (except for Culpepper's stunted hands).

mraynrand
10-09-2013, 10:15 AM
I disagree about his physical skills. Culpepper was faster and more accurate. They are similar size and the arm strength is similar, but Culpepper was better physically than Freeman (except for Culpepper's stunted hands).

I shoulda looked it up before posting. Free was better in three cone and Wonderlic only. Pretty close on everything else, but Culpepper 4.52 to 4.97 in the 40. Funny how impressions stick with you. I always imagine Culpepper as brickier - maybe it just the height difference 6,6 to 6,4. I wasn't including accuracy in physical skills - Freeman seemed adequate, but spotty.