PDA

View Full Version : Why I have respect for Hawk

CaptainKickass
10-07-2013, 01:48 PM
Because when the dude makes a play or a tackle - he doesn't do anything to showboat, just acts like he's been there before, and walks away to get ready for the next play.

This is the exact opposite of the guy I least respect - Finley - who does that stupid hand/fin/retard dance when he catches a five yard pass for a 1st down and we're behind 2 scores.

I don't mind a little celebration - but it's got to be called for, and it's got to be congruent to the game situation.

pbmax
10-07-2013, 01:49 PM
At this point though, I think AJ is losing his helmet like Gary Carter used to lose his. Just to get his mug and haircut on TV. ;)

CaptainKickass
10-07-2013, 01:53 PM
Watch him get fined by the NFL for it.

But seriously, when the play is over he just grabs his lunch-pail and just goes back to work. All these other twerps could take a serious lesson from him on acting like a professional.

ThunderDan
10-07-2013, 02:11 PM
Because when the dude makes a play or a tackle - he doesn't do anything to showboat, just acts like he's been there before, and walks away to get ready for the next play.

This is the exact opposite of the guy I least respect - Finley - who does that stupid hand/fin/retard dance when he catches a five yard pass for a 1st down and we're behind 2 scores.

I don't mind a little celebration - but it's got to be called for, and it's got to be congruent to the game situation.

Brad Jones's sack dance was awful!!!

Patler
10-07-2013, 02:18 PM
At this point though, I think AJ is losing his helmet like Gary Carter used to lose his. Just to get his mug and haircut on TV. ;)

Hawk said in an interview yesterday that his helmet will come off even if he is slapped by team mates, because he doesn't inflate the bladder in it. He said it feels more comfortable loose. He seems like a guy who would prefer playing with no helmet at all.

I suspect that his admission of keeping an ill-fitting helmet will cause a visit from the league concussion police.

Brandon494
10-07-2013, 02:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9YCxVaivn0

Cheesehead Craig
10-07-2013, 03:23 PM
He's having a good season so far. I think the haircut has really helped him.

Maxie the Taxi
10-07-2013, 03:33 PM
Hawk's not flexible enough to be flashy.

MadtownPacker
10-07-2013, 05:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9YCxVaivn0
Can't we have one thread without blatant racism? It's obvious Hawk was just flipping Finley off for excessive jungle dance celebrating. :lol:

Fritz
10-07-2013, 05:40 PM
"Finley - who does that stupid hand/fin/retard dance..."

I think the Cap'n was insulting retards, not black people.

MadtownPacker
10-07-2013, 06:10 PM
I'm talking about Brandon!!

pbmax
10-07-2013, 06:15 PM
Someone needs to think about how we treat those with actual Fins.

red
10-07-2013, 06:16 PM
if hawk hurt a finger he not only wouldn't miss the rest of the season, but he probably wouldn't even know he got hurt

Maxie the Taxi
10-07-2013, 06:19 PM
if hawk hurt a finger he not only wouldn't miss the rest of the season, but he probably wouldn't even know he got hurt

Nitschke played with a broken arm.

pbmax
10-07-2013, 06:23 PM
Nitschke played with a broken arm.

Freeman played with a broken arm. You can tackle and catch with a broken arm. Broken thumb could make your hand useless. OK for lineman, tougher for linebacker. Would make it hardest on DBs.

Pugger
10-07-2013, 06:26 PM
Brad Jones's sack dance was awful!!!

JAMES Jones' TD dance was lame too.

Maxie the Taxi
10-07-2013, 06:27 PM
Freeman played with a broken arm. You can tackle and catch with a broken arm. Broken thumb could make your hand useless. OK for lineman, tougher for linebacker. Would make it hardest on DBs.

Nitschke played with his broken arm before they put it in a cast. He broke his arm, came out of the game long enough to have it wrapped in gauze and then went back in.

pbmax
10-07-2013, 06:28 PM
Nitschke played with his broken arm before they put it in a cast. He broke his arm, came out of the game long enough to have it wrapped in gauze and then went back in.

Did he play after they put it in a cast?

Maxie the Taxi
10-07-2013, 06:28 PM
JAMES Jones' TD dance was lame too.

Wow, that's the truth! What was that anyway? He looked big time constipated.

Maxie the Taxi
10-07-2013, 06:29 PM
Did he play after they put it in a cast?

I don't know. I think he sat out the next game.

pbmax
10-07-2013, 06:32 PM
Wow, that's the truth! What was that anyway? He looked big time constipated.

Someone thought it was a dance tribute to electric football.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLrOVEgxc9Q

pbmax
10-07-2013, 06:33 PM
I don't know. I think he sat out the next game.

Pansy. Freeman played :D

* Note I am kidding. Free missed four games that year.

Maxie the Taxi
10-07-2013, 06:42 PM
Pansy. Freeman played :D

* Note I am kidding. Free missed four games that year.

It was 1963 season against the Detroit Lions. It was the third to last game of the season. Ray actually sat out the last two games. After he broke his arm he was going to take himself out but Dan Currie insisted he stay in and finish the series. Ray did and broke his nose on the next play. Then, he came out, got his arm wrapped and went back in. I read it in a book about Nitschke.

channtheman
10-07-2013, 06:49 PM
Does Hawk ever make such a play that would even warrant a celebration? My favorite play of him yesterday was when a Lion player caught a pass 2-3 yards behind the line of scrimmage and Hawk was running up to him to make the tackle. Hawk then backed off and watched as the receiver went out of bounds for about a 5 yard gain. Hawk never made contact with the Lion. Best part was after the play Hawk kind of threw his hand down as if to say "Aw shucks, I'll get him next time."

That said, Hawk is able to stay healthy and that is very valuable. Seriously, why can't our other LB's stay healthy?

ThunderDan
10-07-2013, 07:15 PM
Does Hawk ever make such a play that would even warrant a celebration? My favorite play of him yesterday was when a Lion player caught a pass 2-3 yards behind the line of scrimmage and Hawk was running up to him to make the tackle. Hawk then backed off and watched as the receiver went out of bounds for about a 5 yard gain. Hawk never made contact with the Lion. Best part was after the play Hawk kind of threw his hand down as if to say "Aw shucks, I'll get him next time."

That said, Hawk is able to stay healthy and that is very valuable. Seriously, why can't our other LB's stay healthy?

That play was against Bush in the flat on a swing pass.

swede
10-07-2013, 11:13 PM
Hawk said in an interview yesterday that his helmet will come off even if he is slapped by team mates, because he doesn't inflate the bladder in it. He said it feels more comfortable loose.

Bladder inflation talk should be kept in the "Ask Cleft Crusty" thread.

Cleft Crusty
10-08-2013, 09:14 AM
Bladder inflation talk should be kept in the "Ask Cleft Crusty" thread.

Bladder inflation is no trouble for Cleft Crusty - it's the deflation part that isn't so efficient. Be careful of drug treatments like Avodart, which has the potential side effect of making you look like Bill Parcells - at least in the chest region.

CaptainKickass
10-08-2013, 11:39 AM
"Finley - who does that stupid hand/fin/retard dance..."

I think the Cap'n was insulting retards, not black people.

Well, I meant to insult Finley. But in retrospect I realize now that I actually insulted retards. So now I must officially apologize:

Dear Retards,

Sorry, totally my bad. Please forgive.

Kind regards,

~Kickass

red
10-08-2013, 05:08 PM

i saw that play and at first thought the same thing. but then i changed my mind

what if his role there was to contain, not attack?

if he goes for the kill there and misses, then bush is probably open for a TD. as it was, hawk contained and waited for guys to come from across the field for backup

it might have looked like a pussy move, but it might have been the smart move. i mean, the defense pretty mush shut down bush for the day

Old School
10-08-2013, 07:55 PM
Hawk is my kind of guy. Knock 'em down, line up, and get ready to do it again. Plus he's got no time for silly shit. He has to make the defensive call for the next play.

George Cumby
10-08-2013, 08:19 PM
Bladder infection talk should be kept in the "Ask Cleft Crusty" thread.

Fixed.

gbgary
10-10-2013, 12:56 PM
I've never really had a big problem with hawk in the middle. been solid overall, never hurt (knocking on wood), great attitude.

Fritz
10-10-2013, 01:51 PM

Because they don't back off when there's a tackle to be made?

Maxie the Taxi
10-10-2013, 02:48 PM
I just saw Hawk interviewed on the NFL Network. The guy is Class A. If I were building a team from scratch, I could do worse than starting with him.

MadtownPacker
10-10-2013, 05:16 PM
Shit, is a Hawk fan club starting here? I thought all you jotos only had hardons for the Clayster.

KYPack
10-10-2013, 08:06 PM
Shit, is a Hawk fan club starting here? I thought all you jotos only had hardons for the Clayster.

He's our novio nuevo.

The other one is hurt.

He was a pussy, I guess.

George Cumby
10-10-2013, 08:27 PM
I just saw Hawk interviewed on the NFL Network. The guy is Class A. If I were building a team from scratch, I could do worse than starting with him.

Link?

Maxie the Taxi
10-10-2013, 08:38 PM
Link?

No link. I happened to catch it on TV. They might be repeating it.

mraynrand
10-10-2013, 10:15 PM
I effing hate Hawk

Brandon494
10-13-2013, 04:23 PM
I would just like to point out that I've always been a Hawk supporter. :smile: Great game today by the Hawk.

denverYooper
10-13-2013, 04:24 PM
The lower weight seems to be helping him out. He looks better with a biit more speed.

pbmax
10-13-2013, 04:25 PM
He missed a couple but that does happen to most players. This week, he had several big plays to more than make up for it.

The Ravens REALLY seemed to have trouble with that cross blitz of Capers and that is just flat weird. They see it twice a year from the Steelers. They kept overreacting to Lattimore or a stunt outside and leaving Hawk almost unimpeded to the QB.

I wonder, since Raji and Pick had their way with them, that the DTs of the Packers were simply clearing out the Center before Hawk normally would on the blitz.

run pMc
10-13-2013, 06:05 PM
He was credited with 3 sacks today. He had 3 all of last year. Did he have a Freaky Friday with Clay and switch bodies?

red
10-13-2013, 06:12 PM
He was credited with 3 sacks today. He had 3 all of last year. Did he have a Freaky Friday with Clay and switch bodies?

it almost seemed like it, we saw a completely different hawk today

mraynrand
10-13-2013, 06:58 PM
Great White Hype!

Smidgeon
10-14-2013, 10:37 AM
Yesterday Hawk played like the combine numbers he put up. Sad it took 8 years to get there...but hopefully he builds on that.

Patler
10-14-2013, 11:03 AM
I have respect for Hawk because his team mates do. Player after player on defense has said time and again how important he is to the defense. In the off season, several very openly expressed amazement that fans didn't realize how much he adds to the defense. It almost seems like the defense got together and decided it was time to end the Hawk-bashing, and make fans aware of his value, because there is hardly a discussion of defensive performance without at least one player mentioning Hawk. Linemen, linebackers and D-backs have all mentioned him ever since the end of last season, often saying his value goes far beyond his stats. The expressions have been much more than the gratuitous complements they pay each other. They have been genuine expressions of respect toward Hawk.

CaptainKickass
10-14-2013, 02:01 PM
So back to the celebration bit -

Hawk made a play early in the game and celebrated on the field for a second with some less than memorable gesturing and such. If memory serves, it was a TFL on 3rd down (bringing up a 4th down and forcing the opponent to punt). Then, even though he made numerous plays the remainder of the day, I didn't see him celebrate again the entire game.

Classy shit.

George Cumby
10-14-2013, 02:05 PM
So back to the celebration bit -

Hawk made a play early in the game and celebrated on the field for a second with some less than memorable gesturing and such. If memory serves, it was a TFL on 3rd down (bringing up a 4th down and forcing the opponent to punt). Then, even though he made numerous plays the remainder of the day, I didn't see him celebrate again the entire game.

Classy shit.

Hawk is the archetypical TT pick. A guy who works hard, loves and respects the game.

Cheesehead Craig
10-14-2013, 03:22 PM
I may just have to start wearing my Hawk jersey again.

Smidgeon
10-14-2013, 05:00 PM
I may just have to start wearing my Hawk jersey again.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Not wearing it seems to be working. ;))

Cheesehead Craig
10-14-2013, 09:21 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Not wearing it seems to be working. ;))

Well, we've moved and I'm not sure where it is now that I've been trying to find it. So there's that.

mraynrand
10-14-2013, 11:52 PM
I have respect for Hawk because his team mates do. Player after player on defense has said time and again how important he is to the defense. In the off season, several very openly expressed amazement that fans didn't realize how much he adds to the defense. It almost seems like the defense got together and decided it was time to end the Hawk-bashing, and make fans aware of his value, because there is hardly a discussion of defensive performance without at least one player mentioning Hawk. Linemen, linebackers and D-backs have all mentioned him ever since the end of last season, often saying his value goes far beyond his stats. The expressions have been much more than the gratuitous complements they pay each other. They have been genuine expressions of respect toward Hawk.

they love him. He makes good calls.

pbmax
10-15-2013, 08:28 AM
I dunno about this. Matthews gets less praise like that but its clear who makes the plays on defense. I still think that is the faintest of praise for Hawk. I have no doubt he is popular in the locker room so its entirely possible his teammates are sticking up for him. Rodgers still sticks up for Flynn and Harrell.

I do believe Hawk's role in this D is not conducive to play making on a regular basis. His primary blitz responsibility is to occupy the Center so the other ILB can get a clear path to the QB.

He is a solid starter and much worse can be had in the Top 10 of any draft. But I still think he is replaceable.

KYPack
10-15-2013, 09:16 AM
Hawk and Lacy were named "Gruden's Grinders" during halftime of MNF last nite by Chucky, of course.

So they got that goin' for 'em.

red
10-15-2013, 09:32 AM
Hawk and Lacy were named "Gruden's Grinders" during halftime of MNF last nite by Chucky, of course.

So they got that goin' for 'em.

is that a good thing?

Upnorth
10-15-2013, 10:12 AM
Well, we've moved and I'm not sure where it is now that I've been trying to find it. So there's that.

Well in that case good luck not finding it but I hope you continue to enjoy the search, or at least until Clay comes back. Did you begin the look prior to the hamstring outbreak, or did it begin at the same thime they slowed down? I think you should look into this as you may Hawk jersey search may be the key ingredient to packer victory!

Joemailman
10-15-2013, 06:22 PM
Captain starts this thread last week and Hawk has a career day. Come on Captain, who do you respect this week?

CaptainKickass
10-16-2013, 01:28 PM
Captain starts this thread last week and Hawk has a career day. Come on Captain, who do you respect this week?

What'll REALLY blow your mind Joemailman is that the last time I created and posted parody music videos about a certain Packers player or 2 - said team won the Superbowl.

pbmax
10-16-2013, 02:39 PM
What'll REALLY blow your mind Joemailman is that the last time I created and posted parody music videos about a certain Packers player or 2 - said team won the Superbowl.

Can we presume you are hard at work in the studio?

CaptainKickass
10-16-2013, 03:28 PM
Can we presume you are hard at work in the studio?

Fuck no!

I'm a freakin'MUSICIAN for fuck's sake!

call_me_ishmael
10-18-2013, 01:33 AM
AJ Hawk is gonna go down as a Mark Tauscher type guy I have a hunch. Maybe not as popular because he's not as good as not from WI. Both are consistent, do their jobs, and fly under the radar.

Brandon494
10-18-2013, 11:00 AM
AJ Hawk is gonna go down as a Mark Tauscher type guy I have a hunch. Maybe not as popular because he's not as good as not from WI. Both are consistent, do their jobs, and fly under the radar.

I don't think the two compare at all, Hawk was a top 5 pick while Tauscher was a 7th round pick. Hawk isn't a "bust" but he sure didn't leave up to his expectations being a top 5 pick while Tauscher far surpassed his 7th round status. Tauscher I would argue might be in the Packers HOF one day. I don't think I can say the same about Hawk right now but his career isn't over so we'll see.

I think one guy you can compare to Tauscher right now on this team would be Bakhtiari, hopefully Bakhtiari will have a similar career.

Smeefers
10-18-2013, 01:15 PM
That 5th pick thing in the draft is going to be an anchor around his neck for his whole career isn't it? Dude would make any D coordinator happy.

Patler
10-18-2013, 01:28 PM
I don't think the two compare at all, Hawk was a top 5 pick while Tauscher was a 7th round pick. Hawk isn't a "bust" but he sure didn't leave up to his expectations being a top 5 pick while Tauscher far surpassed his 7th round status. Tauscher I would argue might be in the Packers HOF one day. I don't think I can say the same about Hawk right now but his career isn't over so we'll see.

I think one guy you can compare to Tauscher right now on this team would be Bakhtiari, hopefully Bakhtiari will have a similar career.

Hawk will be in the Packer HOF. The standard isn't that high.

Not sure Bakhtiari is a good comparison to Tauscher either. Heck, Bakhtiari (#109) was picked 26 slots higher than Sitton (#135). Lang was also a #109. If you want a current packer to compare to Tauscher, use Brad Jones. Both were 7th rounders.

Upnorth
10-18-2013, 01:36 PM
Not current packer, but Wells was a 7th rounder who played well above his slot.

Brandon494
10-18-2013, 01:47 PM
Hawk will be in the Packer HOF. The standard isn't that high.

Not sure Bakhtiari is a good comparison to Tauscher either. Heck, Bakhtiari (#109) was picked 26 slots higher than Sitton (#135). Lang was also a #109. If you want a current packer to compare to Tauscher, use Brad Jones. Both were 7th rounders.

Both play tackle, both were forced into the starting lineup as rookies to replace a super bowl winning tackles. The ONLY thing Tauscher and Jones have in common are that they are 7th round picks so don't really see the comparison there. Yes Brad Jones did start some games as a rookie but he didn't remain a starter like Tauscher.

Also like I said his career isn't over so we'll see but to think he'll be in the Packers Hall of Fame going off what he has done so far is laughable IMO.

Brandon494
10-18-2013, 01:53 PM
That 5th pick thing in the draft is going to be an anchor around his neck for his whole career isn't it? Dude would make any D coordinator happy.

Its not an anchor its the truth! There were talks about cutting him earlier in the year. I'm glad he playing better this season but don't think for a second that its all him and has nothing to do with the improved defensive line.

Patler
10-18-2013, 09:47 PM
Both play tackle, both were forced into the starting lineup as rookies to replace a super bowl winning tackles. The ONLY thing Tauscher and Jones have in common are that they are 7th round picks so don't really see the comparison there. Yes Brad Jones did start some games as a rookie but he didn't remain a starter like Tauscher.

Also like I said his career isn't over so we'll see but to think he'll be in the Packers Hall of Fame going off what he has done so far is laughable IMO.

Not much of a shock to have a 4th rounder contribute as a rookie. 7th rounders on the other hand are a hit if they are good enough to make the final roster, avoid the PS and be active for games.

I wasn't suggesting Jones has contributed as much as Tauscher, just saying they are a better pair to compare. Should have noted that Tauscher wins the comparison hands down as of today. If Bakhtiari continues starting and playing well for a decent length of a career, its not much of a surprise. You expect to hit on 4th rounders with some frequency. For 7th rounders, the likes of Driver, Tauscher, Wells etc. are always a surprise when they become 10 year starters.

Hawk is a virtual lock for the Packer HOF. It doesn't take much more than just playing a long time in GB to make it. He's been a starter from day 1, will have a ten year career in a couple years.

KYPack
10-18-2013, 09:54 PM
Its not an anchor its the truth! There were talks about cutting him earlier in the year. I'm glad he playing better this season but don't think for a second that its all him and has nothing to do with the improved defensive line.

Cutting Hawk?

Nobody that knows what they are talking about was saying anything like that.

Really the only area of Hawk's play that was below standard was his pass coverage in the Red Zone.

I think (&hope) he's addressed that somewhat with his weight loss and pre-game preparation.

pbmax
10-19-2013, 07:53 AM

I think the only talk of cutting him was cap related, the yearly "who is too expensive" to keep speculation during FA signings.

He did take a pay cut (a haircut if you will) but that kind of vulnerability is different from being a replacement level talent (minus kickers, the 50/51st most talented guy).

I did think he was ripe for having his successor drafted and taking his spot but his play was better last year (mainly versus the run) and its a step above that this year (sacks, TFLs and better hitting). He can still look way out of place in coverage, but is better in the middle of the field than in the flats.

red
10-19-2013, 08:34 AM

i think taucsh and hawk or both pretty easy picks for the packer HOF

i've also said for awhile now that if it wasn't for being the #5 pick we would all be pretty damn happy with him

red
10-19-2013, 08:43 AM

that talk was when he was one of our highest paid players and we just got rid of a guy like woodson because he was too expensive.

it was also right after jones got his new big money contract. if i remember right, most people thought signing jones was a move to replace the expensive hawk. but it turns out it was a move to replace Bishop

hawk did take a paycut though, but wejust don't know if the team actually ever though about cutting him

call_me_ishmael
10-19-2013, 10:09 PM

Ignore where they were drafted. It doesn't matter. You pick players based on projected value, not actual value. Hawk was overpaid and overhyped for a few years after being picked high, but that is no longer the case and hasn't been for awhile. Hawk has been a started for 8 years now. Tauscher was a ten year starter.

Both simply do their jobs, are good in the community, don't cause any real trouble, and appear to be leaders.

There's not a whole lot not to like. AJ hasn't lived up to being a #5 pick, but he's carved out a nice niche for himself. M3 clearly loves the guy.