PDA

View Full Version : Branch

Packnut
08-25-2006, 03:22 PM
Yeah I know, the Pats want a 1st round pick. However, is'nt a #1 WR worth it? Think of our 3 WR set:

Driver
Branch
Jennings

This gives Jennings time to learn. This transforms us into a play-off contender NOW. Brett comes back for 2007. I know it's expensive but we have the money to sign this guy to a long term contract. We most likely will be drafting around 10th so what postion is a premium? RB is the only one I can think of. If Green comes back 100% and plays well, we still have Beach and Gado behind him. I don't know, I'm just throwing this out here for discussion.

Brewhaha
08-25-2006, 03:26 PM
I wouldn't trade a #1 for him, I don't think he is a #1 WR. No one is going to give a #1 for him.

Partial
08-25-2006, 03:28 PM
No WAY do they get a 1 if an injured Javon didn't get a one. I'd trade a 3 for him.

Packnut
08-25-2006, 03:32 PM
Ok let's compromise. How a bout a #2? LOL :lol:

Packnut
08-25-2006, 03:34 PM
Before we dismiss this, let's not forget that if we could pull off this deal, we don't have to count on Fergy at #2 or #3 which would make me ecstatic!

packrulz
08-25-2006, 03:49 PM
Ok let's compromise. How a bout a #2? LOL :lol:

He's not hurt or anything and he'll be expensive, but he is a high quality starting WR, I think a 2nd round pick wouldn't be out of the question. Driver/Branch/Jennings/Fergy sounds good.

MadtownPacker
08-25-2006, 03:50 PM
This guys aint worth a 1st round pick. He aint even worth a 3rd. Well maybe a third but not a 2nd for sure.

Packnut
08-25-2006, 03:56 PM
This guys aint worth a 1st round pick. He aint even worth a 3rd. Well maybe a third but not a 2nd for sure.

When putting a value on him, you have to remember the situation we're in. IF (God forbid) Driver goes down, you can kiss our season good-bye. Who's our #1 then Fergy? Ferguson has has enough time. He had his chance last year and blew it big-time. Ain't no magic on this earth that's gonna transform him into a legitimate starting WR. Branch is a #1 WR andhis worth a #2 to us without a doubt.

GoPackGo
08-25-2006, 04:04 PM
The Patriots are just bluffing Branch. Letting him search for a trade is the Patriots way of saying" look in the mirror Deon, you're not woth as much as you think you are." They don't want him to go, they want him to sign a 3 or 5 year deal with them, his choice.

woodbuck27
08-25-2006, 04:07 PM
The Story

Pats give Branch a week to seek a trade

NFL.com wire reports

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (Aug. 25, 2006) -- The New England Patriots gave holdout wide receiver Deion Branch a week to seek a trade and negotiate a contract with another team.

Branch, the 2005 Super Bowl MVP and the team's top receiver, has permission to seek a new team until Sept. 1, the team said.

Branch is scheduled to earn $1.045 million this season, the last of his original five-year contract, but he wants a new deal. He has refused to report to the Patriots' mandatory preseason minicamp and its ongoing training camp.

Coach Bill Belichick has declined to discuss the situation, saying he'll talk only about players that are with the team.

Branch led the Patriots with 78 catches and 998 yards receiving last season

The Patriots began training camp without their top two receivers from last year. David Givens signed as a free agent with Tennessee during the offseason.

MadtownPacker
08-25-2006, 04:20 PM
When putting a value on him, you have to remember the situation we're in. IF (God forbid) Driver goes down, you can kiss our season good-bye. Who's our #1 then Fergy? Ferguson has has enough time. He had his chance last year and blew it big-time. Ain't no magic on this earth that's gonna transform him into a legitimate starting WR. Branch is a #1 WR andhis worth a #2 to us without a doubt.Well many believe we should kiss the season goodbye before it even starts. IF DD goes down I would hope one of the youngsters steps up and becomes the next #2 or maybe even #1 Your right about Fergy the fraud, he aint never gonna be the guy.

woodbuck27
08-25-2006, 04:48 PM
Deion Branch #83 Wide Receiver Height: 5-9 Weight: 193
Born: Jul 18, 1979 - Albany, GA College: Louisville
Draft: 2002 - 2nd round (33rd pick) by the New England Patriots

WR Comparisons

Deion Branch ......998
League Avg ........407
League Leader...1563

Recent Career Receiving Last 3 Season's

Year Team G ... Rec.. Yds.. Y/G.. Avg.... Lng.. YAC.. 1stD.. TD..
2003 Pat's .15... . 57.. 803.. 53.5.. 14.1.. 66.... 4.4 .. 40 ..... 3
2004 Pat's ..9.... 35.. 454 ..50.4 ...13.0... 26..... 4.1..... 27......4
2005 Pat's..16... . 78.. 998.. 62.4.. 12.8.. 51.... 3.1.. ..51....... 5

Career Totals (Full) 53 G; 213 Rec; 2744 Yds; 51.8 Y/G; 12.9 Avg; 66 Long; 3.9 YAC; 140 1stD; 14 TD;

Deion Branch was 27 year's old on July 18,2006.

:mrgreen:

red
08-25-2006, 04:59 PM
he's not worth a 3rd rounder to me. heres a guy who's never even had a 1000 yard season and he's holding out thinking he should get top WR money.

no way

Scott Campbell
08-25-2006, 06:21 PM
I'd consider giving up a 3rd for Branch.

Pacopete4
08-25-2006, 07:10 PM
consider? come on.. the dude has skills. Skills that fit our offense. Him, Driver and the new and upcoming(but learning) Jennings and we may have a passing game in the top 5.

Joemailman
08-25-2006, 08:13 PM
It's not like we're a Super Bowl contender if we get Branch. We should keep our draft picks. We're one good draft away from being a very good playoff-caliber team.

Scott Campbell
08-25-2006, 08:17 PM
consider? come on.. the dude has skills. Skills that fit our offense. Him, Driver and the new and upcoming(but learning) Jennings and we may have a passing game in the top 5.

Ok, ok - you sold me. Now go get it done.

BallHawk
08-25-2006, 08:24 PM
heres a guy who's never even had a 1000 yard season

C'mon, he had 998. That's the football equivelent of a gimme putt.

retailguy
08-25-2006, 08:25 PM
It's not like we're a Super Bowl contender if we get Branch. We should keep our draft picks. We're one good draft away from being a very good playoff-caliber team.

Not after we trade up to take the next punter in the 2nd round. :wink:

Deputy Nutz
08-25-2006, 08:39 PM
I would give up a third and then throw in Robert Ferguson as well.

The Pats would want a reciever as well in this deal.

A third round pick for a proven player is worth it. Branch just doesn't want to play for a million bucks and I can't say that I blame him. He is in a position where I understand the player holding out

to me he is worth 5 years with a total contract value of 25 million.

retailguy
08-25-2006, 08:41 PM
I would give up a third and then throw in Robert Ferguson as well.

They might take a third for Branch, but if we "throw in" ferguson we'd have to give up a 1st... :wink:

SD GB fan
08-25-2006, 09:29 PM
i wud give up at 2nd for him. the guy has skills. keep in mind that NE spread the ball but the AFC East CBs know that he is the toughest WR they hafta consistently face all year. however, i dun think we have the luxury to give up draft picks yet.

digitaldean
08-25-2006, 09:29 PM
he's not worth a 3rd rounder to me. heres a guy who's never even had a 1000 yard season and he's holding out thinking he should get top WR money.

no way

And the Pats are offering a little over $6 million/yr.

I don't know, part of me wants to have him here because he would shore up our depth. But I also think we are trading to get another version of Javon Walker.

Anybody who holds out while under contract is NOT shows only concern for themselves, not the good of the team. I hope he hits the same financial wall that Lelie did (in getting fines for skipping camp).

Packnut
08-25-2006, 10:17 PM

no way

And the Pats are offering a little over $6 million/yr.

I don't know, part of me wants to have him here because he would shore up our depth. But I also think we are trading to get another version of Javon Walker.

Anybody who holds out while under contract is NOT shows only concern for themselves, not the good of the team. I hope he hits the same financial wall that Lelie did (in getting fines for skipping camp).

The guy is a #1 WR and he wants to be paid like 1. I see nothing wrong with that. It's standard procedure in the NFL to negotiate with a guy who has 1 year remaining on his contract.

This guy is moving into his prime. he's a proven cold weather player. I'd trade Fergy and a #2 in a heartbeat for this guy. It fixes a ton of problems with our passing game and gives us 2 one thousand yard WR's. It opens the field up and improves our run game. I'm stunned some of you would'nt make this deal.

HarveyWallbangers
08-25-2006, 10:42 PM
I doubt Thompson will trade for him. What would that signal? We won't pay our own (Javon), but we'll trade for another team's disgruntled player and pay him? However, Branch is one guy whose stats don't do him justice. He's an excellent receiver... that's played in a balanced New England offense.

Packnut
08-25-2006, 10:45 PM
I doubt Thompson will trade for him. What would that signal? We won't pay our own (Javon), but we'll trade for another team's disgruntled player and pay him? However, Branch is one guy whose stats don't do him justice. He's an excellent receiver... that's played in a balanced New England offense.

Yep, he could have had much better stats but Brady spreads it around.

Bretsky
08-25-2006, 10:45 PM
I agree; TT is going to roll with what we have this year. That being said, Branch is undoubtedly worth a 3

retailguy
08-25-2006, 10:48 PM
I agree; TT is going to roll with what we have this year. That being said, Branch is undoubtedly worth a 3

NE won't let him go for a 3. He'll sign the new contract at some point this season, and he WILL report by week 1.

Bretsky
08-25-2006, 10:56 PM

NE won't let him go for a 3. He'll sign the new contract at some point this season, and he WILL report by week 1.

Agree completely; the pats know a team won't give up a 1 so they're playing the game.

digitaldean
08-25-2006, 10:58 PM

Agree completely; the pats know a team won't give up a 1 so they're playing the game.

According from what I've read on KFFL the teams Branch wants to go to are:
Philly, Denver or Seattle.

It's probably just blowing smoke anyway.

retailguy
08-25-2006, 11:01 PM
According from what I've read on KFFL the teams Branch wants to go to are:
Philly, Denver or Seattle.

It's probably just blowing smoke anyway.

Philly won't ever sign another malcontent, Denver doesn't need him, and Branch has no experience in a WCO. He is of little value to Mike Holmgren three weeks before the season starts.

If these are truly the three teams the guy wants he should just play out his contract and go next year.

If this is really true, Branch and his agent are abject fools.

the_idle_threat
08-26-2006, 04:29 AM
Branch is a midget and he gets hurt. He would get killed in the WCO. When people say DD is a great #2 WR but isn't really cut out to be a #1, then what does that make this guy? I think he's got way too big a head after getting a Super Bowl MVP award, and he needs to come down to earth. We don't want any part of him.

red
08-26-2006, 09:07 AM
This guy is moving into his prime. he's a proven cold weather player. I'd trade Fergy and a #2 in a heartbeat for this guy. It fixes a ton of problems with our passing game and gives us 2 one thousand yard WR's. It opens the field up and improves our run game. I'm stunned some of you would'nt make this deal.

ok packnut, or should i call you Mike S. to protect your real identity. i knew you were lurking around these boards somewhere. all this time i though you were retailguy

you really screwed up our team

Bretsky
08-26-2006, 09:10 AM

ok packnut, or should i call you Mike S. to protect your real identity. i knew you were lurking around these boards somewhere. all this time i though you were retailguy

Hmm; I said I'd trade a 3rd hands down...............IF........the Patriots were willing to take Ferguson away it just might be worth upgrading it to a 2nd :wink:

Packnut
08-26-2006, 09:17 AM

Ok,let's all keep our fingers crossed and hope Driver stays healthy. Let's not have any depth at the WR spot. Let's pray to the football gods and hope Fergy wakes up. Better yet, let's have a replay of last season where Favre has to throw into triple coverage cause Driver is the only one he trusts.

red
08-26-2006, 09:48 AM

Ok,let's all keep our fingers crossed and hope Driver stays healthy. Let's not have any depth at the WR spot. Let's pray to the football gods and hope Fergy wakes up. Better yet, let's have a replay of last season where Favre has to throw into triple coverage cause Driver is the only one he trusts.

well lets look at it

what happens if driver does go down? we probably won't make the playoffs. what happens if we send a very high second round pick and a guy we might be able to get a mid to late round pick for? we probably still won't make the playoffs

next year driver and jennings will for sure be our #1 and #2 wr's baring a serious career ending injury, we'll still need a decent #3, but branch won't settle for a #3, driver is not a #3 and jennings has proven so far that he's above a #3. i really don't think we need that other very highly paid guy in there. and personaly i'd rather have that high secong and later round picks to fill some other needs. like maybe a real DE, or TE, or more o-linemen

retailguy
08-26-2006, 09:55 AM
well lets look at it

what happens if driver does go down? we probably won't make the playoffs. what happens if we send a very high second round pick and a guy we might be able to get a mid to late round pick for? we probably still won't make the playoffs

next year driver and jennings will for sure be our #1 and #2 wr's baring a serious career ending injury, we'll still need a decent #3, but branch won't settle for a #3, driver is not a #3 and jennings has proven so far that he's above a #3. i really don't think we need that other very highly paid guy in there. and personaly i'd rather have that high secong and later round picks to fill some other needs. like maybe a real DE, or TE, or more o-linemen

Well Red, thats some good analysis. I agree with you, this is EXACTLY what would happen. It also happens to be EXACTLY the process that Mike Sherman went through with Terry Glenn. Maybe you're really Mike Sherman and Packnut and I are just imposters? :D

red
08-26-2006, 10:00 AM
LOL, how dare you

thats not exactly what sherman went through

we would trade that 2nd rounder and fergy to get brach. then trade branch away next year for a late 7th rounder

esoxx
08-26-2006, 10:38 AM
It will be a cold day in hell when TT gives up a draft choice to acquire a player already in the league. Not gonna do it.

Fritz
08-26-2006, 10:58 AM
This trade wouldn't make much sense. Let's see...we won't re-negotiate our own star receiver's contract early, even though he's experienced in the WCO and has great size and speed, but we'll trade a #2 for someone else's smallish receiver who has never played in the WCO and wants a re-negotiated contract.

Does Branch provide the missing piece to the Super Bowl? Umm....no.

So some people want TT to give up a second rounder to pay a guy big, big bucks. So far, in TT's two drafts he's drafted Nick Collins, Greg Jennings, and Terrance Murphy in the second round. Not bad.

Let Branch go somewhere else, I say.

Bretsky
08-26-2006, 11:01 AM
I won't argue with that Fritz.

That being said, I think TT admittedly made some mistakes from Javon Walker so I don't know if I'd use his treatment as the norm when analyzing things.

red
08-26-2006, 11:10 AM
PFT is saying theres buzz in queensland that they might make a run after branch

Bretsky
08-26-2006, 11:30 AM
PFT is saying theres buzz in queensland that they might make a run after branch

That would not be good at all, but I could see it happening.