PDA

View Full Version : Have Flynn, Will Travel

pbmax
10-07-2013, 01:51 PM
LSU's finest is available as the Raiders have released him. Reggie not looking very Ted like right now.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 27m
GB tweets in 3...2... RT @SI_JimTrotter: BREAKING: The Raiders have released QB Matt Flynn, according to source.

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 26m
Raiders spent a fourth-round pick in 2013 on Tyler Wilson and cut him, and a fifth-round pick in '14 on Matt Flynn and cut him. Not great.

3irty1
10-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Pick that man up!

I don't blame Reggie at all for mining for a QB. He's not going to win without one.

CaptainKickass
10-07-2013, 01:54 PM
TT won't do it now because we're already invested in Seneca Wallace. It'd be FINE by me if he did snag him back though.

pittstang5
10-07-2013, 01:55 PM
Does he clear waivers? Not sure what his contract looks like. Was he playing on Seattle's or on another contract.

If he clears waivers - Packers would have to be a player...right?

Packers4Glory
10-07-2013, 02:22 PM
GB would have to pick him up. No way Wallace is up to speed enough to run the offense should Rodgers go down.

Guiness
10-07-2013, 02:26 PM
not a surprise I guess, but remember when some here thought the Pack should franchise Flynn instead of letting him walk in FA???

I assume he's a vested veteran, like Freeman, and will not have to clear waivers. As far as what is invested in Wallace...how much really? Looks like he was signed before the regular season started, so his full salary is guaranteed for the year. However, an article at JSO from a few days ago says he is still trying to pick up the offense.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/seneca-wallace-still-adjusting-to-the-packers-offense-b99112487z1-226401081.html
Flynn knows the offense and should be able to step right back in.

A lot of factors in this. Does the Pack think they have a better player in Wallace than they would have in Flynn? I have trouble believing that. Will anyone else be looking at Flynn, and does he still have aspirations of starting? What is Flynn willing to sign for...Freeman got a $3m pro-rated contract for the rest of this year (will collect ~$2m). I don't think Flynn will see any action above vet minimum.

Wow did he make some serious change for very little time on the field these past two years. Oakland even upped his guaranteed money this year in exchange for a bit of a break next year I believe.

pbmax
10-07-2013, 02:42 PM
Flynn is a vested vet and I don't think he needs to clear waivers.

red
10-07-2013, 02:53 PM
come on home matt

Rutnstrut
10-07-2013, 02:58 PM
Despite what the what his past two teams HAVEN'T seen in him, I think Flynn would be an excellent backup again. Assuming money wise it would work out.

Tony Oday
10-07-2013, 03:00 PM
Is Seneca really our back up? Not kidding I really had no idea.

Guiness
10-07-2013, 03:05 PM
TB and Oakland coulda both saved money by just swapping these guys.:razz: Had about the same contract numbers, didn't they?

Cheesehead Craig
10-07-2013, 03:21 PM
Bring back Flynn! After all, we have to keep up with the Vikes in the arms race at QB.

Patler
10-07-2013, 04:04 PM
Flynn is a vested vet and I don't think he needs to clear waivers.

That's right. A vested vet (>4yrs) is not subject to waivers if released before the trade deadline. If he is released after the trade deadline, he is subject to waivers (but can declare himself a FA at the end of the season, etc., etc.).

Fritz
10-07-2013, 04:31 PM
Despite what the what his past two teams HAVEN'T seen in him, I think Flynn would be an excellent backup again. Assuming money wise it would work out.

It was interesting to read MM's presser comments today. He said, a couple of times, that he liked the look of the quarterback room right now.

I interpret that to mean that he sees the GB backup QB's job to be a veteran presence who can help Rodgers see what's going on on the field on game day. This is an interesting job description, as it seems to make secondary the ability to step in and run the offense on as close to the same level as the starter did as possible, should the starter go down.

That is, MM appears to value highly Seneca Wallace because of his experience and ability to be Rodgers's second set of eyes on the field. Maybe because Wallace is older, Rodgers respects what Wallace sees on the field. Maybe if Flynn came back, MM doesn't think that either Flynn would see as much, or maybe that if he does, Rodgers wouldn't pay as much attention because Flynn is a younger guy.

But if that interpretation is correct, that seems to mean that MM thinks Wallace's help in the QB room is more important than his ability to step in and play if Rodgers were to go down.

If that is so, I say sign Flynn, cut Wallace, and immediately make him an assistant-to-the-assistant QB coach. Let him wear a jersey and shoulder pads and a ball cap so he looks like a game-day backup, but hide Flynn on the sidelines in a real uniform.

Best of both worlds!

pbmax
10-07-2013, 06:39 PM
They could put Tolzien on the PS I bet. If they want to spend four roster spots on the QB.

HarveyWallbangers
10-07-2013, 07:19 PM
They could put Tolzien on the PS I bet. If they want to spend four roster spots on the QB.

Isn't Tolzien on the PS already?

Rutnstrut
10-07-2013, 08:25 PM
I think MM is willing to gamble that he'll never need a back up.

Harlan Huckleby
10-07-2013, 08:52 PM
It was interesting to read MM's presser comments today. He said, a couple of times, that he liked the look of the quarterback room right now.

He just means it's a bitchin man cave.
http://www.thejanedough.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/man-cave.jpg

If that is so, I say sign Flynn, cut Wallace, and immediately make him an assistant-to-the-assistant QB coach. Let him wear a jersey and shoulder pads and a ball cap so he looks like a game-day backup, but hide Flynn on the sidelines in a real uniform.

Best of both worlds!
I think the problem is that his salary counts against the cap even if they cut him. I would talk to Flynn, and if he is willing to be a backup at green bay at backup salary, sign him.

Guiness
10-07-2013, 09:17 PM
Just saw that Flynn's contract contained an offset language, so in all likelihood if he signs elsewhere this year, he won't make any more money. All another contract will do is mean he gets the money from his new team instead of the Raiders.

So if he signs, I'm guessing it's for vet minimum.

pbmax
10-07-2013, 11:15 PM
Isn't Tolzien on the PS already?

My bad, he is. Well, Mojo Nixon, CB, was called up to the roster to take Francois spot, so they are down 1 LB for the entire year plus Jones absence. Would seem that there is not room for Flynn unless Wallace gets the boot.

Kiwon
10-08-2013, 07:28 AM
Matt Flynn's agent is genius.

$14.5 million for: 2012 -Seattle 3 games 5-9 68 yds. 0 TD / 2013 -Oakland 2 games 22-34 246 yds. 1 TD

Patler
10-08-2013, 07:44 AM
My bad, he is. Well, Mojo Nixon, CB, was called up to the roster to take Francois spot, so they are down 1 LB for the entire year plus Jones absence. Would seem that there is not room for Flynn unless Wallace gets the boot.

Another CB? I wonder if he was getting interest from other teams and the Packers want to hang on to him? The 53 man roster doesn't seem to have much need for another corner, unless the outlook for Hayward coming back has turned bleak.

pittstang5
10-08-2013, 07:47 AM
Another CB? I wonder if he was getting interest from other teams and the Packers want to hang on to him? The 53 man roster doesn't seem to have much need for another corner, unless the outlook for Hayward coming back has turned bleak.

Thought that right away - signed Nixon, Hayward might go to IR. However him being limited last week was encouraging, unless he had a set back.

Also thought - Does Nixon return kicks/punts?

Patler
10-08-2013, 07:56 AM
Thought that right away - signed Nixon, Hayward might go to IR. However him being limited last week was encouraging, unless he had a set back.

Also thought - Does Nixon return kicks/punts?

I wouldn't build too much hope if its based on Hayward's limited participation last week. MM explained it as individual drills he was doing as part of his rehab procedure. Doesn't seem he was really much of a practice participant, just rehabing with the team instead of individually. Haven't heard anything about how well it did or didn't go.

mraynrand
10-08-2013, 08:42 AM
not a surprise I guess, but remember when some here thought the Pack should franchise Flynn instead of letting him walk in FA???

That Scott Wells - Matt Flynn, Center-QB exchange was feared league-wide.

pbmax
10-08-2013, 09:29 AM
McCarthy said they would know more about Hayward on Monday this week. That might have been the answer.

Pugger
10-08-2013, 03:09 PM
Nothing against Matt but we don't need another backup QB. We have more pressing needs elsewhere. If he couldn't make it in Oakland...

Harlan Huckleby
10-08-2013, 03:12 PM
Nothing against Matt but we don't need another backup QB. We have more pressing needs elsewhere. If he couldn't make it in Oakland...
Ya, but could Seneca Wallace make it in Oakland?

My concern is whether Flynn is resigned to backup salary money for the rest of his career. He would only be of interest to GB, imo, if he was willing to be a long term backup.

Maxie the Taxi
10-08-2013, 05:15 PM
Flynn feasted as a result of the last game in Detroit...a gift to him from the Packers. Let's keep who we have and hope Rodgers doesn't go down because of some stupid Stubby play call.

mraynrand
10-08-2013, 10:44 PM
Flynn feasted as a result of the last game in Detroit...a gift to him from the Packers. Let's keep who we have and hope Rodgers doesn't go down because of some stupid Stubby play call.

Well, there was also the Patriots game - which I actually think was more impressive.

Still, I was at that Detroit game - it was a lot of fun. Starting with the first TD, I was shouting "That's worth a million dollars, easy." With each successive TD, I had more and more people giving me high fives and cheering "Another Million Dollars!" That was just a total blast!