PDA

View Full Version : Official @ Ravens Week Discussion

pbmax
10-09-2013, 01:13 PM
Roster roulette continues:

Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 1h
Not practicing for #Packers today: Matthews, Hayward, Starks, Brad Jones, Mulumba, Van Roten.

QBME
10-09-2013, 01:18 PM
Roster roulette continues:

Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 1h
Not practicing for #Packers today: Matthews, Hayward, Starks, Brad Jones, Mulumba, Van Roten.

Hayward not practicing is disappointing, especially after his limited participation last week. Maybe your IR speculation still holds water.

pbmax
10-09-2013, 01:23 PM
Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 6m
#packers injury report: CB Bush DNP; CB Hayward DNP, LB Brad Jones OUT, LB Andy Mulumba DNP, RB Starks OUT, OL GVR OUT, LB Matthews OUT

Curiouser and curiouser. He's not listed as OUT on practice report of injured as has previously been the case.

mraynrand
10-09-2013, 01:28 PM
was there a final word on Jones?

pbmax
10-09-2013, 01:30 PM
MM: Casey Hayward is getting better. A little sore after last week. We'll see where he is tomorrow. Hope to do some individual work

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 6m
So ILB Brad Jones has been ruled out for the #Packers game Sunday at Baltimore.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 6m
McCarthy says he would expect Matthews to have to play with a cast once he does return to the field.

MM: I think Mike Neal and Nick Perry did some really good things. This is a primary position as far as our emphasis

MM: Brad Jones, I have no reason to believe it's going to be very long.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 5m
For Jones, it's the other leg. Not the same one he injured in preseason.

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 4m
MM: James Nixon is an option on returns. Factors into it like everyone else

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 2m
McCarthy-The Red Zone offense isn't where we want it to be at this point, but confident it will get there.

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 2m
MM: We need to pick it up on third downs. Spent time on last night as a staff. We'd like to do a better job there. BAL good at 3rd down D

pbmax
10-09-2013, 01:31 PM
was there a final word on Jones?

Out this week but not looking terribly long term. Injured his other hamstring, not same one as earlier this year.

pbmax
10-09-2013, 01:33 PM
Good work by Bob on the Packer grading system.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/eye-marks-coaches-grade-packers-on-weekly-performance-b99115789z1-227003191.html

Guiness
10-09-2013, 01:34 PM
Starks out again. You have to think the Packers will cut bait with him if they need the spot, despite the good performance he had a couple of weeks ago. He just can't stay on the field.

Bush is a surprise, wasn't he active vs Detroit?

Week 6 coming up, kind of anxious to see what happens with Worthy, Sherrod and Tretter.

Fritz
10-09-2013, 01:35 PM
So no Matthews, no Jones, no Hayward, no Starks, no Van Rotten for Bawdimore.

And maybe no Bush.

hoosier
10-09-2013, 01:55 PM
Keeping Suggs and what's his name, Denverville, off of Rodgers will be a major task for the Packers OL. If they can do that they win. If not they will go down along with ARod.

hoosier
10-09-2013, 01:57 PM
Nixon is an option on returns. Factors into it like everyone else

He is term limited and, after the last goodbye, I don't see any returns in his future. http://www.pophistorydig.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/1974-helicopter-1-70.jpg

mraynrand
10-09-2013, 01:58 PM
Starks out again. You have to think the Packers will cut bait with him if they need the spot, despite the good performance he had a couple of weeks ago. He just can't stay on the field.

injury prone!

mraynrand
10-09-2013, 01:59 PM
Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 4m
MM: James Nixon is an option on returns. Factors into it like everyone else

I'm Ok with this, except when they play at Chicago. You know he won't get a fair shot there!

Guiness
10-09-2013, 03:32 PM
injury prone!

There's no way the Pack can trust him to be available at this point. He came back from the dead to make the squad out of TC when everyone thought he had no hope. With this injury I have to believe the only reason they haven't done an injury settlement is because they don't need the roster spot for the second punter right now. Because that's how useful he is at this point, about as much as a second punter.

Pugger
10-09-2013, 03:36 PM
Keeping Suggs and what's his name, Denverville, off of Rodgers will be a major task for the Packers OL. If they can do that they win. If not they will go down along with ARod.

The guys did a decent job against Suh and Farley on Sunday.

Bossman641
10-09-2013, 03:36 PM
WTF is up with Casey Hayward. He's been healthy for like 1 week in the past 3.5 months.

mraynrand
10-09-2013, 03:46 PM
There's no way the Pack can trust him to be available at this point. He came back from the dead to make the squad out of TC when everyone thought he had no hope. With this injury I have to believe the only reason they haven't done an injury settlement is because they don't need the roster spot for the second punter right now. Because that's how useful he is at this point, about as much as a second punter.

I think it depends on how long they expect him to be injured. If he's healthy reasonably soon, they just keep him inactive. I believe that they can use the francois spot to bring in a new LB, so he won't take up that space. Still, with Jones and Clay are both out for four plus weeks, you probably need another roster spot for a LB. Who do you release....

Say, speaking of releasing someone, has anyone see Wilson lately?

Bossman641
10-09-2013, 04:32 PM
I think it depends on how long they expect him to be injured. If he's healthy reasonably soon, they just keep him inactive. I believe that they can use the francois spot to bring in a new LB, so he won't take up that space. Still, with Jones and Clay are both out for four plus weeks, you probably need another roster spot for a LB. Who do you release....

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/01/21/science/castaway533.jpg

MadtownPacker
10-09-2013, 05:07 PM
http://projectonevoice.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/wilson-sorry.gif

red
10-09-2013, 05:12 PM
so, i just read on PFT that we have only 3 Lb's that can play right now, is that correct?

cause we need at least 4

malumba is hurt. that leaves hawk, perry and neal (who is barely a LB) am i missing anyone?

if malumba can play, that gives us 4 for this weeks game, no subs. if we get anyone else injured during the game we're fucked

we need to make some moves, asap

Maxie the Taxi
10-09-2013, 05:15 PM
Matthews, Hayward, Jones, Van Roten....forget those guys. Tell me what's the matter with Mulumba!!! Come on, Andy!! Get your ass back on the field!!!!

Freak Out
10-09-2013, 05:22 PM
LOL.

Time to call up Trapper, Radar and the other members of M*A*S*H.

Freak Out
10-09-2013, 05:24 PM
Back to a 4-3 for a week?

Guiness
10-09-2013, 05:47 PM
Back to a 4-3 for a week?

maybe Pickett played some LB...in high school? That's probably the last time he was around the right weight.

Mulumba being hurt is bad. Have to think they'll bring someone in to take Francois' roster spot, but they sure are taking their time.

pbmax
10-09-2013, 06:22 PM
Lattimore is the other ILB with Hawk. Barrington is your backup ILB. Then Neal and Perry at OLB. Mulumba might be able to go, but Palmer is also available at OLB.

bobblehead
10-09-2013, 07:57 PM

As president of the CJ Wilson fan club I am disappointed. I think he is working with Green on a conversion to LB as well.

pbmax
10-09-2013, 11:52 PM
Wilson is the odd man out when they go jumbo against a team that can run. If its strictly Jolly in base or Raji/Pickett in nickel, Wilson sits. I think that has happened twice now.

Guiness
10-10-2013, 12:40 AM
Wilson is the odd man out when they go jumbo against a team that can run. If its strictly Jolly in base or Raji/Pickett in nickel, Wilson sits. I think that has happened twice now.

So he was a healthy scratch.

Dressing Jolly instead. Did anyone think he would come back as good as he is? I wonder what sort of contract he'll get next year? He's 30, I hope he gets a decent payday, he's been through a lot.

Maxie the Taxi
10-10-2013, 07:41 AM

I like Wilson too. I mean he's listed at 305. That ain't much less than 325 "jumbo" Jolly.

mraynrand
10-10-2013, 08:16 AM
I like Wilson too. I mean he's listed at 305. That ain't much less than 325 "jumbo" Jolly.

KY tells us Wilson don't play big - can't two-gap as I recall.

mraynrand
10-10-2013, 08:17 AM
So he was a healthy scratch.

Dressing Jolly instead. Did anyone think he would come back as good as he is? I wonder what sort of contract he'll get next year? He's 30, I hope he gets a decent payday, he's been through a lot.

Enough to keep him in beer and skittles for years at least!

Maxie the Taxi
10-10-2013, 08:24 AM

Why we have a guy on our DL who can't even two-gap? I bet you Boyd can two-gap and he's jumboish.

Maxie the Taxi
10-10-2013, 08:31 AM
Somebody get this to Wilson ASAP...https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSarxILvpRPjAEQJROGwI4nYA9kBKXjT 1Ww_DDcunX8UK_T70_Ee70XgBlz

KYPack
10-10-2013, 08:45 AM

The "new NFL" is putting Wilson out of a job more than his performance is. We just don't play a 30 front that much against a team like the Lions. I kinda feel sorry for Wilson. He's a good kid that isn't a kid anymore.

mraynrand
10-10-2013, 09:23 AM
The "new NFL" is putting Wilson out of a job more than his performance is. We just don't play a 30 front that much against a team like the Lions. I kinda feel sorry for Wilson. He's a good kid that isn't a kid anymore.

Traditional, base 3-4 defense uses a '30' front - two 3 techniques and a 0 technique. So are you saying Wilson can only do 3 tech? Does that mean you rule him out for 2 tech? and 4 tech? And what exactly do you see the Packers lining up in mostly? Are the OLBs doing 4 tech or 5 tech??? Please elaborate!

KYPack
10-10-2013, 09:26 AM

That wasn't a knock on Wilson. It's pretty much a waste to have a 2 gap guy play that wide. The last guy I've seen who was a 2 gap maniac but played wide was Justin Smith. The Bengals played him out of position for 4 years as a 7 tech in a 40 front. He rarely got sacks from that spot and team just ran the other way. SF signed him and put him in his proper spot playing from the 2-4 tech.

Once he was put in a spot where his talent matched his job, Cowboy proceeded to tear up NFL offenses.

Maxie the Taxi
10-10-2013, 09:32 AM
Traditional, base 3-4 defense uses a '30' front - two 3 techniques and a 0 technique. So are you saying Wilson can only do 3 tech? Does that mean you rule him out for 2 tech? and 4 tech? And what exactly do you see the Packers lining up in mostly? Are the OLBs doing 4 tech or 5 tech??? Please elaborate!

So you're telling us we need someone from the Geek Squad to play DE?
http://images.bit-tech.net/news_images/2010/03/best-buy-to-open-first-uk-store/article_img.jpg

mraynrand
10-10-2013, 09:32 AM
Justin Smith. The Bengals played him out of position for 4 years as a 7 tech in a 40 front.

I assume this is lining up strong side outside the TE. Didn't Derrick Thomas feast on QBs from this spot, or was he weak side 5 tech? Anyway, I can see why Justin Smith would be wasted out there.

mraynrand
10-10-2013, 09:33 AM
So you're telling us we need someone from the Geek Squad to play DE?
http://images.bit-tech.net/news_images/2010/03/best-buy-to-open-first-uk-store/article_img.jpg

That's a winning smile! Welcome to Best Buy, how can I confuse you?

KYPack
10-10-2013, 09:34 AM

A vanilla 30 front is two 5 techs and a zero tech. Wilson is a 5 tech playing a one gap. The OLB's in that front usually play a 7-9 technique, depending on the formation. With all the passing and multiple receiver sets in the league now, a 30 front with 4 LB's is becoming extinct. Many teams, like the Pack, stay in nickel the whole ball game. A nickel defense, not Lori Nickel

pbmax
10-10-2013, 09:36 AM
The Packers, in 3-4 base, are playing mainly Eagle Oakie (KY will have to give us the call number for that) which you can see when Pick is on the nose at 1 tech and Raji is playing a 3 tech. Jolly or Wilson is then at a 5 I believe. This has become the most common base alignment over the last three years. By position, it looks like a 4-3 Under front with one OLB being in a DE position.

When they go jumbo nickel, Raji and Pick as the 2 lineman (saw a lot of that versus the Lions on early downs), they may or may not two gap but each has clearly been told to read run first and that defense has gotten back to being stingier against the run. Perry being out there helps. No idea about the technique number on this one though.

mraynrand
10-10-2013, 09:41 AM
A vanilla 30 front is two 5 techs and a zero tech. Wilson is a 5 tech playing a one gap. The OLB's in that front usually play a 7-9 technique, depending on the formation. With all the passing and multiple receiver sets in the league now, a 30 front with 4 LB's is becoming extinct. Many teams, like the Pack, stay in nickel the whole ball game. A nickel defense, not Lori Nickel

Ha! now I'm more confused, but I see a way forward. So Wilson can only play 5 tech? Is that his limitation? What does he lack? Also, why did one source tell me vanilla 3-4 front was a 0 and two 3 techniques - no, let me rephrase that - does anyone use 0 and two 3's anymore? In a 3-3 nickel, what is the most common alignment of those six and how does that leave Wilson on the inactive list? Also, given the LB gap in the 3-3 alignment and the absence of Woodson/Hayward playing the W, what is the best way of compensating??

Maxie the Taxi
10-10-2013, 09:44 AM
Ayn, here's how you play zero technique... Any questions?
http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/4cab96a07f8b9af53faa0700/pop-warner-football-players-must-have-a-doctors-note-before-returning-from-head-injuries.jpg

pbmax
10-10-2013, 09:47 AM
I think Wilson is simply less effective inside in a spot where he could get double teamed. He can be moved out of there. Maybe Corey Williams like on run downs.

Jolly, like Raji, can get turned, but it happens slower than Wilson. Wilson is in an awkward place where he is best at playing the run but not against a team that wants to pound it and double team him. But he doesn't have the pass rush that demands he be out there for other down and distance.

mraynrand
10-10-2013, 09:52 AM
Ayn, here's how you play zero technique... Any questions?
http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/4cab96a07f8b9af53faa0700/pop-warner-football-players-must-have-a-doctors-note-before-returning-from-head-injuries.jpg

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/cut2.gif (http://s453.photobucket.com/user/mraynrand/media/cut2.gif.html)

mraynrand
10-10-2013, 09:53 AM
I think Wilson is simply less effective inside in a spot where he could get double teamed. He can be moved out of there. Maybe Corey Williams like on run downs.

Jolly, like Raji, can get turned, but it happens slower than Wilson. Wilson is in an awkward place where he is best at playing the run but not against a team that wants to pound it and double team him. But he doesn't have the pass rush that demands he be out there for other downs.

he's a D-line tweener!

Maxie the Taxi
10-10-2013, 10:02 AM
he's a D-line tweener!

So was this guy...http://www.tampabay.com/resources/images/dti/rendered/2008/09/b4s_hanner092108in_38873a_8col.jpg

QBME
10-10-2013, 10:14 AM
So was this guy...http://www.tampabay.com/resources/images/dti/rendered/2008/09/b4s_hanner092108in_38873a_8col.jpg

Hawg Hanner?

mraynrand
10-10-2013, 10:15 AM
That pederast hanrahan!

KYPack
10-10-2013, 11:09 AM
Well this is getting tech(nical). Okie, eagle and that stuff are defensive formation terminology which varies from coach to coach and team to team. Tell you the truth, I don't really bother with that stuff. What Capers calls an okie isn't what I call an okie. An okie is a stack. The lb plays right behind the DL. The principal is that the DL keeps the blockers off the lb, so the backer can make the tackle. Capers calls his Okie something different, it seems.

What we are discussing here is more basic. And it gets more confusing, which I'll get into.

Technique is the term coaches use to define pre-snap positioning and it is constant across formations, personnel, and teams. A 3 tech with the Raiders plays the same spot as a 3 tech with the Packers. That same player knows where he is in a 3 tech, but Eagle, fire, Jumbo are the different formations and that varies from team. That's where the coaches installing the various schemes come in. When you install a defense, you start by making sure each player knows his assigned position at the pre-snap.

The front techniques are termed by numbers and go all the way out. 0 is your nose tackle playing right on the nose. To the right of 0 is 1, 2 feet or so to the right of that is a 2 tech, couple feet to the right of that is 3 tech. A 3 tech plays right on the guard and the numbering system goes all the way out to 9. Remember when Philly was playing a defense call the wide 9? That's what they were talking about, they played both DE's in a 9.

This system also accounts for the LB's but they add a zero to their positioning = 10, 20,30, etc also going out to 90.

This gets confusing because technique also can be used by some coaches as the term for mechanics, but generally when a coach discusses technique, he is referring to the players pre-snap position.

Each foot along that front is accounted for and woe the rookie that doesn't know or understand his technique on a particular call. Usually, when you see multiple DL's adjust their technique, it is response to a line call. They change the defense slightly, so the lineman adjust their technique.

This is really just the bare bones basics of Dline technique. As I said, each bit of DLine real estate is accounted for. For instance, 3 is right on the guard's nose, you are nose to nose with your opponent. But some D's will make very minor changes to that. 3i is on the guards inside shoulder, 3 O is on the guard's outside shoulder, This may seem piddly to you, but it's a huge thing to a DLine coach.

So, for a bit of a recap, technique refers to pre-snap position and is defined by a precise numbering system.

Maxie the Taxi
10-10-2013, 11:56 AM
Hawg Hanner? Yup. In the days when a DT could be All-Pro at 257 lbs.!

Fritz
10-10-2013, 01:54 PM

Lori Nickel writes a lot of puff pieces, which leads me to wonder if many of the Packers have stayed in Nickel.

Tony Oday
10-10-2013, 01:57 PM
AR and the offense get on the same page this week, 400 yards 3 TDs, Lacy 130 2 TDs in a laugher.

Bossman641
10-10-2013, 02:25 PM
Hayward practiced in pads again today. MM said we'll see how he feels tomorrow since he was sore last week after practicing.

Teamcheez1
10-10-2013, 03:08 PM
Hayward practiced in pads again today. MM said we'll see how he feels tomorrow since he was sore last week after practicing.

Hayward has been out 7 full weeks now.

run pMc
10-10-2013, 03:12 PM
Let's see if this helps...
http://forgeriver.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/technique.bmp

This one also shows 'gaps'. <insert your favorite miley cyrus joke>
http://www.profootballfocus.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/D-line-alignment-and-gaps-copy.png

My understanding is that Wilson is a pretty good run defender, but with so may teams trotting out 4000 and 5000 yard passers, he's a bit of a throwback. Pass rush isn't his forte, and while TC reports were that he had improved on that, he's probably not as talented as Daniels or Raji. With all the efforts to "juice" the pass rush and the reemergence of Johnny Jolly, he's the odd man out.

I still think he's a keeper for depth or when playing against a team that has a 20th century offense and wants to run the ball at you. If someone on the DL catches the hamstring flu he'll be in there over Boyd.

run pMc
10-10-2013, 03:15 PM
Not optimistic Hayward will play this week. He'll be a welcome mid-season addition to the secondary if he's not too rusty.
Also -- the kids on PUP are going to start to be eligible soon. Sherrod, Worthy, Tretter...the roster's gonna look interesting in 3 weeks.

Teamcheez1
10-10-2013, 03:32 PM
We're doomed. Reggie Dunn has been released from the practice squad.

Maxie the Taxi
10-10-2013, 03:40 PM
We're doomed. Reggie Dunn has been released from the practice squad.

They signed center Garth Gerhart to take his place.

Fritz
10-10-2013, 03:52 PM
They signed center Garth Gerhart to take his place.

Van Rotten must be more seriously injured than we thought.

bobblehead
10-10-2013, 04:19 PM
Well this is getting tech(nical). Okie, eagle and that stuff are defensive formation terminology which varies from coach to coach and team to team. Tell you the truth, I don't really bother with that stuff. What Capers calls an okie isn't what I call an okie. An okie is a stack. The lb plays right behind the DL. The principal is that the DL keeps the blockers off the lb, so the backer can make the tackle. Capers calls his Okie something different, it seems.

What we are discussing here is more basic. And it gets more confusing, which I'll get into.

Technique is the term coaches use to define pre-snap positioning and it is constant across formations, personnel, and teams. A 3 tech with the Raiders plays the same spot as a 3 tech with the Packers. That same player knows where he is in a 3 tech, but Eagle, fire, Jumbo are the different formations and that varies from team. That's where the coaches installing the various schemes come in. When you install a defense, you start by making sure each player knows his assigned position at the pre-snap.

The front techniques are termed by numbers and go all the way out. 0 is your nose tackle playing right on the nose. To the right of 0 is 1, 2 feet or so to the right of that is a 2 tech, couple feet to the right of that is 3 tech. A 3 tech plays right on the guard and the numbering system goes all the way out to 9. Remember when Philly was playing a defense call the wide 9? That's what they were talking about, they played both DE's in a 9.

This system also accounts for the LB's but they add a zero to their positioning = 10, 20,30, etc also going out to 90.

This gets confusing because technique also can be used by some coaches as the term for mechanics, but generally when a coach discusses technique, he is referring to the players pre-snap position.

Each foot along that front is accounted for and woe the rookie that doesn't know or understand his technique on a particular call. Usually, when you see multiple DL's adjust their technique, it is response to a line call. They change the defense slightly, so the lineman adjust their technique.

This is really just the bare bones basics of Dline technique. As I said, each bit of DLine real estate is accounted for. For instance, 3 is right on the guard's nose, you are nose to nose with your opponent. But some D's will make very minor changes to that. 3i is on the guards inside shoulder, 3 O is on the guard's outside shoulder, This may seem piddly to you, but it's a huge thing to a DLine coach.

So, for a bit of a recap, technique refers to pre-snap position and is defined by a precise numbering system.

Huh, I learned something truly new. I never played big school ball, so I had no clue that okie, eagle, ect. had multiple meanings. I always thought it was much the same way as tech #'s. I think I got that idea because the packers used to run an elephant position with a few different coordinators and it was the same each time...but they probably all ran the same scheme now that I think about it.

KYPack
10-10-2013, 07:56 PM
Let's see if this helps...
http://forgeriver.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/technique.bmp

This one also shows 'gaps'. <insert your favorite miley cyrus joke>
http://www.profootballfocus.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/D-line-alignment-and-gaps-copy.png

My understanding is that Wilson is a pretty good run defender, but with so may teams trotting out 4000 and 5000 yard passers, he's a bit of a throwback. Pass rush isn't his forte, and while TC reports were that he had improved on that, he's probably not as talented as Daniels or Raji. With all the efforts to "juice" the pass rush and the reemergence of Johnny Jolly, he's the odd man out.

I still think he's a keeper for depth or when playing against a team that has a 20th century offense and wants to run the ball at you. If someone on the DL catches the hamstring flu he'll be in there over Boyd.

Thanks for posting this, Run.

I probably should have added a diagram to my post, but this one does the job.

The other thing to know is the gaps.

While the offense has it's terminology, we on defense are trying to stop those bastards, so the terms are different.

While the offense speak of holes, defensively, we talk about gaps and gap control.

There are 3 on each side.

The A gap btw the center and guard
The B gap btw the guard and tackle
The C gap btw the tackle and TE.

Every DC in a 30 front wants a zero tech that can two gap, cover the A gap on either side of him. A Vince Wolfolk dude who can eat bolts and shit metal filings. On the Pack, we really have two guys who can two gap, Pickett and Jolly. Raji was tried as a two gap, he's more effective one gapping. Boyd? Maybe some day, but I sure ain't seen it yet.

Once on the forum, Wist was discussing this & somebody posted that Wilson was a two gap DL. I went a little nuts, but then I realized that a lot of people don't know what that is. I hope this thread sheds a little light on the subject. It's really easy and basic stuff. Once you learn it, the game makes more sense. It 's better to see it at a live game. TV to me is like watching thru a port hole.

On Sunday, we play one of the best two gappers in the league, Haloti Ngata. That boy could two gap a freight train. He is also a rare two gap guy in they move him around. They don't play him at a zero much. he's slide from a two all the way out to a four tech. Guy can routinely break a double team. He's a load.

denverYooper
10-11-2013, 12:02 PM
Interesting breakdown of the Packers O vs the Lions and possibly against the Ravens.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1806051-nfl-week-6-breaking-down-this-weekends-biggest-matchups

mraynrand
10-11-2013, 12:38 PM
Once on the forum, Wist was discussing this & somebody posted that Wilson was a two gap DL. I went a little nuts, but then I realized that a lot of people don't know what that is.

Perhaps it was me. I knew exactly what a 2-gapper was, what I didn't understand was what people thought of Wilson and why. It seems like the view is that he is a good run defender, but not a 2-gapper. Since he can't 2-gap, he isn't an exceptional run stopper, and isn't all that great at pass rushing, so that he's gonna be inactive more than not, unless you play a team that is just run heavy and can't pass - like maybe the Ponder-led Vikings. Correct me if I'm wrong.

hoosier
10-11-2013, 01:02 PM
Perhaps it was me. I knew exactly what a 2-gapper was, what I didn't understand was what people thought of Wilson and why. It seems like the view is that he is a good run defender, but not a 2-gapper. Since he can't 2-gap, he isn't an exceptional run stopper, and isn't all that great at pass rushing, so that he's gonna be inactive more than not, unless you play a team that is just run heavy and can't pass - like maybe the Ponder-led Vikings. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Or if you play a team that only has, like, three gaps. Wilson takes one and a 2-gapper like Raji takes the other two and then you're set.

run pMc
10-11-2013, 01:04 PM

Yeah, I have no idea if Wilson can be an effective 2-gap player (I assume not). Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought those players are uncommon/valuable since most DL can only 1-gap.