PDA

View Full Version : Week 6 other games thread

MadScientist
10-11-2013, 09:30 AM
Some of the math challenged posters here posted some of the Giants-Bears comments to the week 5 thread.
To summarize: The shitty Giants and the shitty Eli shit the bed against the fucking Bears and let fucking Cutler look decent.

Maxie the Taxi
10-11-2013, 09:55 AM
I'm confused. Isn't it week 5 for the Packers?

MadScientist
10-11-2013, 10:42 AM
Game 5, week 6.

KYPack
10-11-2013, 10:49 AM
I knew you were a mad scientist, but I wasn't aware of your status as a thread cop.

got a little confused by the Thursday game, too.

So here my Giants Bears comment MS...

The Giants came back. They had the ball late in the 4th quarter with a chance to go ahead. Evidently, Brandon Jacobs found an old time machine somewhere and transported himself back to 2007. Man, he was running wild out in the secondary, bulldozing people. It won't last, he could barely walk by the end of the game, but it was a good time for the old bastard.

mraynrand
10-11-2013, 11:02 AM
my takeaway was that both defenses are pretty porous and can be had. McClellan looks worse every time I see him play. Packers can run on both teams. Danger is if their offenses get hot. Giants have a terrible pass rush now, and Bears have an improved O-line. Packers D versus Chicago O is much better matchup than Chicago D versus Packer O. No stupid turnovers and there's three three wins right there.

denverYooper
10-11-2013, 11:45 AM
my takeaway was that both defenses are pretty porous and can be had. McClellan looks worse every time I see him play. Packers can run on both teams. Danger is if their offenses get hot. Giants have a terrible pass rush now, and Bears have an improved O-line. Packers D versus Chicago O is much better matchup than Chicago D versus Packer O. No stupid turnovers and there's three three wins right there.

I agree. The old Bears D under Lovie and with Grrlacher, younger Peppers and Peanut was usually tough on the Pack. Now they're just old and I have a suspicion that they're going to get torn up by GB's O. The key for the Bears will be keeping Cutler unfucked so he can try to keep up.

hoosier
10-11-2013, 01:07 PM
I agree. The old Bears D under Lovie and with Grrlacher, younger Peppers and Peanut was usually tough on the Pack. Now they're just old and I have a suspicion that they're going to get torn up by GB's O. The key for the Bears will be keeping Cutler unfucked so he can try to keep up.

What has me concerned in that area is that their OL has looked a lot better than usual so far this year, and as a result Cutler has been consistently able to get in a rhythm and hasn't been sporting that trademark pout quite as much. My fear is the fear you have when you're playing a bad team: if you let them hang around long enough they will forget that they're bad. I am worried that Cutler will forget that look before the Packers get to play him.

run pMc
10-11-2013, 01:18 PM
The Bears O is better, their D is worse than previous years. Still shouldn't be good enough to win the division or be a serious contender. They get too many lucky breaks with TO's, and last night Eli gifted them a few. The Giants are a mess right now, but if Eli throws one less pick they might have won.

Cheesehead Craig
10-11-2013, 04:40 PM
The Bears O is better, their D is worse than previous years. Still shouldn't be good enough to win the division or be a serious contender. They get too many lucky breaks with TO's, and last night Eli gifted them a few. The Giants are a mess right now, but if Eli throws one less pick they might have won.

Eli leads the league in picks (15) and it's not even close. He's currently on pace for the 2nd most INTs in a season in NFL history. Say what you will about the Giants' D, but the biggest culprit to their situation is pretending to play QB.

pbmax
10-11-2013, 04:48 PM
Eli leads the league in picks (15) and it's not even close. He's currently on pace for the 2nd most INTs in a season in NFL history. Say what you will about the Giants' D, but the biggest culprit to their situation is pretending to play QB.

A lot of pretty smart analysts on the web last night said his receivers betrayed him on two of the picks. The new guy, initials are RR I think, was running the wrong route once, that was one early pick.

Donte Stallworth said a 4 wide All-Go play was obviously going to the inside receiver given the defensive alignment but the TE running the seam route did not adjust to be in the expected position. It doesn't help Manning doesn't have his normal gobs of time from the line, but despite Cruz and Hicks, he is not getting a lot of help. I am not sure their offense has recovered from losing the very good TE they had to NE two years ago. None of the replacements seem as reliable.

MadScientist
10-11-2013, 05:03 PM
Tampa with more MRSA problems. Third player has it, and NFLPA might ask for a game or venue change.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/11/players-union-expresses-concerns-about-staph-at-bucs-facility/

Maybe Josh Freeman was right to do what ever it took to get the hell out of there.

pbmax
10-11-2013, 05:07 PM
A lot of pretty smart analysts on the web last night said his receivers betrayed him on two of the picks. The new guy, initials are RR I think, was running the wrong route once, that was one early pick.

Donte Stallworth said a 4 wide All-Go play was obviously going to the inside receiver given the defensive alignment but the TE running the seam route did not adjust to be in the expected position. It doesn't help Manning doesn't have his normal gobs of time from the line, but despite Cruz and Hicks, he is not getting a lot of help. I am not sure their offense has recovered from losing the very good TE they had to NE two years ago. None of the replacements seem as reliable.

That said, at some point, similar to every Packer season sans 2011, Manning and the coaches have to adjust to the limitations of their talent. Eli can't just chuck in up to an open spot in the defense and expect each of the new guys to read the defense and his mind to go to the same spot.

Maxie the Taxi
10-11-2013, 07:00 PM
Personally, I think Reuben Randall failed his Wonderlic.

mraynrand
10-11-2013, 07:51 PM
That said, at some point, similar to every Packer season sans 2011, Manning and the coaches have to adjust to the limitations of their talent. Eli can't just chuck in up to an open spot in the defense and expect each of the new guys to read the defense and his mind to go to the same spot.

He'll probably adjust in time for the Packers

mraynrand
10-11-2013, 07:52 PM
Personally, I think Reuben Randall failed his Wonderlic.

he still got a trophy

mraynrand
10-11-2013, 07:53 PM
Don Pardo

denverYooper
10-13-2013, 03:21 PM
Dumb challenge by Fox.

denverYooper
10-13-2013, 03:54 PM
Branch's dumbass penalty gave the Broncos a second life on their last drive.

If I'm stuck with this game, I at least want the Jags to keep it interesting.

denverYooper
10-13-2013, 04:30 PM
LOLOLOL!

Manning just threw a pick 6 to Posluzny.

denverYooper
10-13-2013, 04:43 PM
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 9m

The Jags trail by 2 at half. Titans are stifling the Seahawks. The Cards are all over the 49ers. Brees forcing balls in triple coverage...

Guiness
10-13-2013, 06:39 PM
What a finish to the NO NE game. Saints O can't stay on the field to run down the clock and Brady runs an incredible 2 minute drill.

red
10-13-2013, 06:39 PM
hell of a finish in new england

run pMc
10-13-2013, 07:36 PM
http://thevikingage.com/2013/10/13/desmond-bishops-first-start-ends-abruptly-knee-injury/
"Desmond Bishop went down with a leg injury in the second quarter against Carolina and by his reaction he knew it was bad right away.

Bishop left the field under his own power, but showed more frustration on the sidelines. He was finally taken to the locker room and announced as out for the remainder of the game.

The Vikings are listing Bishop’s injury as a knee. Bishop of course missed all of last year with a hamstring which explains his immediate and extreme reaction to feeling something wrong with his leg. Bishop knows this routine."

With all the injuries to the ILBs, I didn't see a whole lot of chatter about how we shoulda kept Bishop...looks like it probably wouldn't have mattered.

KYPack
10-13-2013, 07:41 PM
http://thevikingage.com/2013/10/13/desmond-bishops-first-start-ends-abruptly-knee-injury/
"Desmond Bishop went down with a leg injury in the second quarter against Carolina and by his reaction he knew it was bad right away.

Bishop left the field under his own power, but showed more frustration on the sidelines. He was finally taken to the locker room and announced as out for the remainder of the game.

The Vikings are listing Bishop’s injury as a knee. Bishop of course missed all of last year with a hamstring which explains his immediate and extreme reaction to feeling something wrong with his leg. Bishop knows this routine."

With all the injuries to the ILBs, I didn't see a whole lot of chatter about how we shoulda kept Bishop...looks like it probably wouldn't have mattered.

Sorry to hear this, really.

Desmond was a good dude, his ticket got too heavy to drag to the pay window.

Hope he isn't gone for good, for his sake.

channtheman
10-13-2013, 08:16 PM
Anyone watching Sunday Night Football? I'm pretty sure the refs just made up a rule on the muffed punt by Dallas. The ref said 'the Cowboy was blocked into the ball, therefore there is no fumble." What? I'm pretty sure I've seen multiple punts where a player was deliberately pushed into the ball and the punting team recovered. Anyone have any insight into this?

pittstang5
10-13-2013, 08:27 PM
Anyone watching Sunday Night Football? I'm pretty sure the refs just made up a rule on the muffed punt by Dallas. The ref said 'the Cowboy was blocked into the ball, therefore there is no fumble." What? I'm pretty sure I've seen multiple punts where a player was deliberately pushed into the ball and the punting team recovered. Anyone have any insight into this?

I'm sure there is a rule like that, but I too thought the same thing - I've seen it a couple times where a player is pushed into the ball and the punting team recovers.

It's Dallas - they get away with alot.

Freak Out
10-13-2013, 08:33 PM
Tramon was pushed into one and ended up throwing a punch.

Iron Mike
10-13-2013, 08:44 PM
I wonder how much Greg Jenning's Sister is digging being 1-4. :)

pbmax
10-13-2013, 10:13 PM
Is there a difference between being pushed into the ball versus pushed into the returner trying to catch the ball?

Cheesehead Craig
10-13-2013, 10:56 PM
Best line I've heard about the Vikes:

"We're throwing so many players and coaches under the bus, we're needing more busses."

pbmax
10-14-2013, 07:58 AM
Is there a difference between being pushed into the ball versus pushed into the returner trying to catch the ball?

Nope, but there is a difference between passive and blocking from PFT:

NFL Rule 9, Article 2, Section 4 says that “a player is not considered to have touched the ball if he is blocked into it by an opponent, provided he is in a passive position and not blocking. A player who is engaged with and blocking his opponent when he contacts the ball is deemed to have touched the ball.” So what it comes down to is a judgment call by the officials: Was the Dallas player engaged and blocking? Or was he in a passive position?

denverYooper
10-14-2013, 08:20 AM
Nope, but there is a difference between passive and blocking from PFT:

NFL Rule 9, Article 2, Section 4 says that “a player is not considered to have touched the ball if he is blocked into it by an opponent, provided he is in a passive position and not blocking. A player who is engaged with and blocking his opponent when he contacts the ball is deemed to have touched the ball.” So what it comes down to is a judgment call by the officials: Was the Dallas player engaged and blocking? Or was he in a passive position?

Looked like he was blocking to me.

Shanny went from red to purple on that one.

denverYooper
10-14-2013, 08:45 AM
@mikefreemanNFL if only the rest of the league was allowed to block like the Patriots on their GW drive pic.twitter.com/nTyI0pBrSa

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BWik0VOIgAAT24z.jpg

hoosier
10-14-2013, 03:42 PM
Let's take a moment to savor one of the beautiful images from the first half of the season:

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/1830/5atn.jpg