PDA

View Full Version : THE WORST GM IN FOOTBALL ????

Bretsky
10-11-2013, 06:29 PM
We are pretty spoiled by TT; while sometimes I get frustrated because it appears we might be one to two mid level free agents (like Michael Huff or Elvis Dumerville) away from running to a Super Bowl, the Packer organization does a pretty stellar job with the draft and developing from within.

But when you hear....."The Worst GM in Football"....who do you think of ?

I've thought this for quite some time....and after listening to the NFL Network it makes me pretty happy to annoint this guy as the bottom of the NFL Food Barrel for GM's. In fact...if I were a fan of this team (who was spoiled for way too long), I'd be going bezerk at the incompetency.

Which name comes to mind ? There can only be one.

HELLO JERRY JONES

Below is a pretty unbelievabel article if you think about it. Four years later..noboldy standing. CRAZY

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4707009/the-bad-2009-class-is-officially-over

Joemailman
10-11-2013, 06:48 PM
Long term, no one is worse. When they beat Philly in the playoffs last year, that was their first playoff win in 16 years. Short term I'm not sure. Some of the worst teams have recently changed GM's, so it's too early to judge them.

bobblehead
10-11-2013, 07:11 PM
Ok, I am going with a guy who was recently removed from duty. AJ Smith. Took over a stocked Chargers team. Fired the 14-2 coach and replaced him with Norv Turner. Slowly lost talent and never replaced it.

On another note, you reminded me of my favorite all time football quote with your first sentence. Jeffery Lurie's wife once said "I have never met a fan or an owner who isn't convinced he is one player away from the superbowl."

red
10-11-2013, 07:20 PM
i was just reading an article today about how the 2009 draft was one of the worst in history because of all the busts in the first round

well shit, we had two first round picks that year. both are pretty decent

we also got Lang and brad jones in that draft

not bad

MJZiggy
10-11-2013, 08:17 PM
I'm going for the legacy vote here and going to call a tie between Al Davis and Matt Millen. Matt might have the edge. And he doesn't have the excuse of being dead.

hoosier
10-11-2013, 08:26 PM
Ok, I am going with a guy who was recently removed from duty. AJ Smith. Took over a stocked Chargers team. Fired the 14-2 coach and replaced him with Norv Turner. Slowly lost talent and never replaced it.

You're nuts, AJ Smith built the 2000s Chargers. Before he arrived they had LaDanian Tomlinson, Drew Brees (before he became Drew Brees) and nothing else. He was the one who pulled the Manning for Rivers, Kaeding and Merriman trade, and who drafted the remainder of the Chargers stars: Michael Turner, Nick Hartwig, Vincent Jackson, Darren Sproles, Luis Castillo, Cromartie, Eric Weddle, and so on.

It may be that he let too many good players go and the later drafts definitely didn't produce as many stars as the 2003-06 drafts, but those drafts were absolutely phenomenal. No way does Smith even come close to worst GM in the NFL.

mraynrand
10-11-2013, 10:20 PM
Hiring Norvell Turner as HC is a really bad move. Funny, GMs are supposed to be great at player evaluation while Coach evaluation seems like it involves a completely different calculus. TT has been good at both - excepting his evaluation of hamstrings.

mraynrand
10-11-2013, 10:26 PM
I'm going for the legacy vote here and going to call a tie between Al Davis and Matt Millen. Matt might have the edge. And he doesn't have the excuse of being dead.

It's not even close. Millen hired Marty Earwig and Rod 0-16 Marinelli to 'coach' the team - above and beyond drafting absurdities that make Mike Sherman look like Chuck Noll in comparison.

mraynrand
10-11-2013, 10:29 PM
just found this:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/61244-the-worst-decisions-of-the-matt-millen-era

Maybe only Dan Devine could look up to Millen

QBME
10-12-2013, 07:16 AM

As GM, Al's teams made the play offs 15 times and won 3 Superbowl's. Most definitely not the worst, in the 70's and 80's arguably the best.

You are correct about Millen.

pbmax
10-12-2013, 09:31 AM
Hiring Norvell Turner as HC is a really bad move. Funny, GMs are supposed to be great at player evaluation while Coach evaluation seems like it involves a completely different calculus. TT has been good at both - excepting his evaluation of hamstrings.

Firing Schottenheimer might simply mean you are a sentient human who thinks you are entitled to perform your job as specified in your contract. Marty has a tendency to improve the team from within (usually with addition by subtraction in the first two years) and then look to acquire power elsewhere in the org rather than continue to improve the team.

So Marty probably greased his own exit skid.

Hiring Turner would be evidence you think you are special and that the Laws of Physics don't apply to you.

mraynrand
10-12-2013, 09:46 AM
Hiring Turner would be evidence you think you are special and that the Laws of Physics don't apply to you.

lol. repped