PDA

View Full Version : Browns steal Charles Johnson off P.S.

pittstang5
10-12-2013, 08:21 PM
Bummer

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Browns-sign-Charles-Johnson-off-Packers-practice-squad.html

Teamcheez1
10-12-2013, 08:36 PM
Steal would imply he had some value. We'll see how he does in the Brown's system, or will he be another Tori Gurley who has been signed to several practice squads with no results.

Patler
10-13-2013, 09:42 AM
Peculiar move by the Browns, putting a guy on their 53 man roster who really has not yet shown anything. He sat out most of camp, and did nothing the final two games he was available for. On what evidence did they make their decision that he is NFL ready?

Pugger
10-13-2013, 10:23 AM
Their WR corps must not be so hot.

pbmax
10-13-2013, 10:30 AM
Peculiar move by the Browns, putting a guy on their 53 man roster who really has not yet shown anything. He sat out most of camp, and did nothing the final two games he was available for. On what evidence did they make their decision that he is NFL ready?

I mentioned this elsewhere but they also bypassed Gurley (also on their PS) to add Johnson. Must be looking for a specific skill set.

King Friday
10-13-2013, 11:14 AM
Browns play GB in a few weeks...wouldn't surprise me if they simply picked the kid up for info. It isn't like anyone they are grabbing off a practice squad anywhere is going to be a big help to them...even with their questionable offensive talent.

denverYooper
10-13-2013, 03:20 PM
Browns play GB in a few weeks...wouldn't surprise me if they simply picked the kid up for info. It isn't like anyone they are grabbing off a practice squad anywhere is going to be a big help to them...even with their questionable offensive talent.

I doubt it. That seems like a pretty drastic move to win an inter-conference game.

Fritz
10-13-2013, 03:22 PM

His size and speed, I think, was their evidence.

gbgary
10-13-2013, 03:33 PM
Maybe we can get him back for a 7th.

Brandon494
10-13-2013, 04:18 PM
Horrible timing, hopefully Jones and Cobb won't be out for too long.

Carolina_Packer
10-13-2013, 04:28 PM
Geez, this was bad timing considering the injuries at WR now. Miles White, come on down! Maybe we can get that Tyrone Walker back. He had been picked up by Seattle for their practice squad, but got realeased. He and White are kind of the same guy, but White may be a bit faster. Perhaps they will sign White and bring Walker back as a member of the practice squad.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/press/article-1/Tyrone-Walker-Ty-Powell-released-from-Practice-Squad-Michael-Brooks-Jared-Smith-signed/63edb51f-6eb1-479f-ad07-f68880293b4d

OK, long shot would be for the Packers to sign an established vet, given TT's MO but here is the list (scroll a little) http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2013WR.php

Driver said he'd come back and I'm sure he's in great shape. I wonder if they'd consider it. It's not like they'd need him to be the old Driver, just serviceable, and the leadership would be nice.

packer4life
10-13-2013, 04:52 PM
Let the Myles White era...begin!

KalamazooPackerFan
10-13-2013, 05:13 PM
Hey, Ruvell Martin's on the list. Time to bring back an old favorite? :)

mraynrand
10-13-2013, 07:00 PM
The problem is trying to carry all the injured guys and needing to bring in guys to fill the roster at the same time. Worried that the Packers lose some guys they have to release to make temporary roster space.

red
10-13-2013, 07:02 PM
i don't know if it was stealing. we went into todays game with just 4 wr's didn't we? if we really wanted the guy, we would have moved him up to the first time at some point over the last few weeks

we desperately need someone from somewhere now for at least the next week or so

Carolina_Packer
10-13-2013, 07:24 PM
i don't know if it was stealing. we went into todays game with just 4 wr's didn't we? if we really wanted the guy, we would have moved him up to the first time at some point over the last few weeks

we desperately need someone from somewhere now for at least the next week or so

I've long thought that it made no sense to have a 53 man roster and only be allowed to dress 46. Why? Teams should be allowed to bring all 53 and replace from the 7 inactives should anyone from the 46 get hurt and not be able to come in the game. Better yet, just let 53 dress out with as physical as the game is.

dahammer001
10-13-2013, 09:38 PM
I've long thought that it made no sense to have a 53 man roster and only be allowed to dress 46. Why? Teams should be allowed to bring all 53 and replace from the 7 inactives should anyone from the 46 get hurt and not be able to come in the game. Better yet, just let 53 dress out with as physical as the game is.

This is exactly what I was afraid of , now we are down to 2 healthy receivers. I mention in another thread that we should have signed Stephen Williams when Seattle release him, but no we don't need any 6 ft 5 inch wrs. We lose Charles Johnson who might have the best physical ability of any of the Packer receivers. What now experts?

packer4life
10-13-2013, 09:56 PM
I view this as Quarless really needing to step up for the next few weeks and get back to form.

They can put Nelson, Boykin, and Jmike out wide and be OK. Quarless can now be inline and work the seams in their standard 3 WR 1 TE 1 RB offense.

These moves definitely make us more of a ball-control, grind it out type offense. Play-action will need to be emphasized.

This may be good for us in the long run. It will have us prepared for those cold Lambeau days ahead and reign in the spread offense which tends to fail in shit weather anyway. What does not kill us will make us stronger?

Tony Oday
10-13-2013, 09:57 PM
Trade for Gonzo!

Brandon494
10-13-2013, 10:03 PM
Trade for Gonzo!

Falcons should trade him back to KC to finish his career.

Smidgeon
10-14-2013, 10:40 AM
Yep. I was disappointed when I found out him signing with the Browns. Then when Cobb and Jones went down...

He was the one practice squaddie I was most curious about. Now we won't know. Oh well.

mraynrand
10-14-2013, 10:56 AM
Falcons should trade him back to KC to finish his career.

Not a bad idea. I would feel sorry for the true blue Falcons fans, but there really aren't any.

mraynrand
10-14-2013, 10:58 AM
Yep. I was disappointed when I found out him signing with the Browns. Then when Cobb and Jones went down...

He was the one practice squaddie I was most curious about. Now we won't know. Oh well.

Hoyer to Gurley brought all the excitement that a preseason fan can hope to enjoy

red
10-16-2013, 05:25 PM
LOL

ok, the browns signed johnson off our practice squad on saturday. before the game sunday they gave him a physical and he failed it......

because he had a torn ACL

they have now placed him on IR

charles johnson would not have been an option for us after all

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/16/browns-replace-guy-with-torn-acl-with-guy-with-torn-acl/

Joemailman
10-16-2013, 05:38 PM
Since last year I've had concerns over whether the Packers training/medical staff was correctly diagnosing injuries. It took forever to figure what was wrong with Jennings last year. This year DuJuan Harris and Hayward both entered training camp with injuries, and were held out of practice until the week leading up to the 3rd preseason game, which they were allowed to play in. Both reinjured the same body part in a worse way than the original injury. Now it looks like Charles Johnson had a torn ACL and they didn't know it. If I were Randall Cobb, I'd hire my own medical staff instead of relying on these guys.

pbmax
10-16-2013, 06:00 PM
Since last year I've had concerns over whether the Packers training/medical staff was correctly diagnosing injuries. It took forever to figure what was wrong with Jennings last year. This year DuJuan Harris and Hayward both entered training camp with injuries, and were held out of practice until the week leading up to the 3rd preseason game, which they were allowed to play in. Both reinjured the same body part in a worse way than the original injury. Now it looks like Charles Johnson had a torn ACL and they didn't know it. If I were Randall Cobb, I'd hire my own medical staff instead of relying on these guys.

Jennings was trying to play through something to get paid and it didn't work.

Hayward and his hammy is probably subjected to whatever the Packer whammy is on hamstrings, so I could buy this for him. But didn't Harris have a different injury the second time?

Joemailman
10-16-2013, 06:12 PM
Jennings was trying to play through something to get paid and it didn't work.

Hayward and his hammy is probably subjected to whatever the Packer whammy is on hamstrings, so I could buy this for him. But didn't Harris have a different injury the second time?

It was an injury to the same knee that kept him out of the first 2 preseason games. Don't know what the exact injury was in either case.

red
10-16-2013, 06:22 PM
lets also not forget that c-wood was screaming at the end of the year because he felt he was ready to go, but the training staff still decided to hold him out for the last 3 weeks of the season

mraynrand
10-16-2013, 07:15 PM
If I were Randall Cobb, I'd hire my own medical staff instead of relying on these guys.

especially after what happened with the KC hack and Sherry.

Ya know, if Cobb has a high Fibula break, it sometimes happens that the top of the bone where are the lateral knee attachments are, just breaks off, and that needs a surgical repair. If they misdiagnose that, it will be disastrous for Cobb. You may wonder how this is possible, but different kinds of ortho guys see various things more or less frequently. Sometimes they see something they've never repaired. And being totally arrogant and stupid they decide they can do it, instead of referring to someone who can. "Hey, I operate on Packer Derrick Sherrod! Pretty cool eh?" Great to talk about at the country club, but maybe you are an idiot for messing with something outside your talent range.

pbmax
10-16-2013, 08:45 PM
Speaking of Doctor's getting it wrong:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 3h
Mark Slough, Jay Ratliff’s agent, says there were “unrealistic expectations” for his clients return. “No on really understood the severity”

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 3h
Sounds like Jay Ratliff re-injured himself on the conditioning test. Why did take it if he wasn’t healthy? “Good question,” Mark Slough

Cowboys are now in the process of waiving Ratliff. Both player and agent do not expect him to play this year anymore.

KYPack
10-16-2013, 08:51 PM
I have to post this bc nobody else would give a shit.

This kid Johnson has a cloud over his head. He's from a local high school. Everything this kid touches turns to shit. He was the top high school recruit in the state 6 years ago. The big question was whether he's go to Louisville or UK. He picked UL. He had to go to summer school to improve his HS grades. Halfway thru the summer, the coaches discovered he hadn't gone to even 1 class, so he got tossed from UL. He then goes to Eastern Kentucky, quite a few rungs down the collegiate ladder. There, he got caught with a hot laptop in his room & he got expelled.

From there he drifted to a JC and finally went to Grand Valley in Texas. When the Pack got him in the 7th this year, I didn't even realize he was the "famous" CJ from Erlanger Loyd, it had been so long since he was in HS.

This kid has a million dollar body and a 10 cent head.

Good luck to the Brownies, they'll have to dedicate a couple people just to keep track of this kid.

pbmax
10-16-2013, 08:53 PM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 6h
Sat out practice last Wed. Don't know if it's related. RT @ScottPetrak: #Browns discovered torn ACL w/WR Charles Johnson during iphysical.

red
10-16-2013, 09:20 PM
I have to post this bc nobody else would give a shit.

This kid Johnson has a cloud over his head. He's from a local high school. Everything this kid touches turns to shit. He was the top high school recruit in the state 6 years ago. The big question was whether he's go to Louisville or UK. He picked UL. He had to go to summer school to improve his HS grades. Halfway thru the summer, the coaches discovered he hadn't gone to even 1 class, so he got tossed from UL. He then goes to Eastern Kentucky, quite a few rungs down the collegiate ladder. There, he got caught with a hot laptop in his room & he got expelled.

From there he drifted to a JC and finally went to Grand Valley in Texas. When the Pack got him in the 7th this year, I didn't even realize he was the "famous" CJ from Erlanger Loyd, it had been so long since he was in HS.

This kid has a million dollar body and a 10 cent head.

Good luck to the Brownies, they'll have to dedicate a couple people just to keep track of this kid.

sounds like a blessing he's not our problem anymore

KYPack
10-17-2013, 12:08 AM
sounds like a blessing he's not our problem anymore

He can do some things, man but it's had to tell when or if. He's a tall kid (6'2",220). He aced "gym class", his measurable compare very favorably those of Julio Jones & he's faster than Jones he has run several sub 4.4 40's. He probably has like 3 branches on his route tree.

Physically strong, fast, quick, good hands, & greener than goose shit. PS for at least a year with the same time in supervised weight training would be the best thing for this boy.

Harlan Huckleby
10-17-2013, 12:30 AM
Has he had surgery? If not, I suspect the Browns are hiding him on IR.

KYPack
10-17-2013, 08:06 AM

Could be, HH.

This kid is like a giant infant, like Baby Huey.

I actually wanted to see the Browns play him to see if he could run a pro route.

CJ is like a 7th year senior in high school.

If some team ever does develop him, that assistant coach should be named coach of the century.

There is a little intrigue here.

Were we hiding his injury or are the Browns hiding him on IR?

red
10-17-2013, 08:07 AM
Has he had surgery? If not, I suspect the Browns are hiding him on IR.they have to keep him on the active squad for 3 weeks since they plucked him off someones PS

so surgery or not. he can't play, and he's taking up a valuable roster spot for the next three weeks

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/16/browns-replace-guy-with-torn-acl-with-guy-with-torn-acl/

Guiness
10-17-2013, 08:25 AM

I don't know about that, I think the Browns are pretty thin at WR and looking for another body. They've only got 4 on their 53, and have cycled through quite a few bodies. Tori Gurley has gone PS->53->PS for them, and they've had activity with a few other WR bodies through Sept.

Maxie the Taxi
10-17-2013, 08:59 AM
One thing we can maybe all agree on: Johnson ain't know quick study.

pbmax
10-17-2013, 09:30 AM
Also apparently no sense of self-preservation; he could have been playing on a torn ACL since the second day of camp.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/17/receiver-charles-johnson-had-been-practicing-with-torn-acl/

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/228073381.html

One possibility that exists is that the right knee injury Johnson suffered on the second day of training camp was worse than anyone imagined. At first there was a thought that it was an IT band tear, but later Johnson said he had sprained his MCL.

It's very likely the Packers did an MRI on his knee, but it's possible they didn't see the tear. Former tackle Mark Tauscher went into surgery once to clean up his knee and the doctors discovered he had partially torn the ACL. He was lost for the rest of the season.

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/228073381.html#ixzz2hzQEOL00
Follow us: @NewsHub on Twitter

Packers need a new MRI machine.

billy_oliver880
10-17-2013, 09:54 AM
Also apparently no sense of self-preservation; he could have been playing on a torn ACL since the second day of camp.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/17/receiver-charles-johnson-had-been-practicing-with-torn-acl/

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/228073381.html

I don't know but it seems like negligence by the doctors? I mean how does this stuff get missed?

Maxie the Taxi
10-17-2013, 10:01 AM

But the old one ain't empty yet.https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT645HR7XUftwe9jEb0_Ki6cZ8SbEPEa LuOrC7vVgpnY9cpJbnB

Upnorth
10-17-2013, 10:16 AM
So to me it feels like we are snake bite with injuries and I was really starting to think something was wrong with our practice field (like I believe easycheesy suggested in the offseason) but according to this website we aren't that bad

http://www.mangameslost.com/nfl-team-man-games-lost-october-15-2013/

Is this realistic? Off the top of my head the Oline has 12 between sherry and buluga alone, and with our lbs and wrs it seems like a mash unit, but can anyone confirm these numbers?

red
10-17-2013, 10:36 AM
So to me it feels like we are snake bite with injuries and I was really starting to think something was wrong with our practice field (like I believe easycheesy suggested in the offseason) but according to this website we aren't that bad

http://www.mangameslost.com/nfl-team-man-games-lost-october-15-2013/

Is this realistic? Off the top of my head the Oline has 12 between sherry and buluga alone, and with our lbs and wrs it seems like a mash unit, but can anyone confirm these numbers?

i wonder if they include guys that have been out since training camp?

we have also played one less game then most of those other teams. so add one more game for everyone thats hurt to get a more accurate idea of where we are

i also don't think its the practice field. the system we have is one of the best in the world and has been in use for a long time without huge injury problems. i don't think you can blame the hamstring injuries on the field, thats more just not taking proper care of your body or something. cobb and jones injuries both happened somewhere else and cobbs was the result of a wicked hit. sherry is still out because of the nasty break he had 2 years ago on another field. clay broke his thumb (not turf related)

theres definitely a problem. i have no clue what it is, but i don't think its our fields

Guiness
10-17-2013, 11:01 AM
I don't know but it seems like negligence by the doctors? I mean how does this stuff get missed?

He could bounce back to the Packers since he was obviously damaged goods, and the Packers may be forced to give him an injury settlement if it's determined he suffered the injury in camp.

run pMc
10-17-2013, 02:26 PM
It's because Bigger Tougher Faster Meaner 579
Fire Slocum

KYPack
10-17-2013, 08:30 PM
Actually, if our mad doctors knew what they were doin', we could've IR'ed his ass way back and kept him for a year with no hit.

Like others have said, we may get hit with the bill anyhow.

red
10-17-2013, 08:38 PM
Actually, if our mad doctors knew what they were doin', we could've IR'ed his ass way back and kept him for a year with no hit.

Like others have said, we may get hit with the bill anyhow.

huh, never thought of that

pretty big fuck up by the staff right there

Carolina_Packer
10-18-2013, 08:28 PM
As for Charles Johnson, this is from the Journel Sentinel piece...

***As of right now, the Browns still hold the rights to Johnson. If Johnson can prove that his injury happened while with the Packers it would raise an interesting question about whether he should receive an injury settlement or revert back to the Packers' roster. It's possible the Browns aren't going to keep him around since his injury didn't occur with them and they aren't responsible for paying for his rehab or his salary.***

I hope it's proven that the injury occured while a Packer (seems more than likely) and that he's returned to Green Bay. I think he's an interesting prospect.

Chris Harper is someone that I was facinated with coming into the draft. Great size and build. I like that he played QB (when he was at Oregon, and perhaps in H.S., although not sure). I believe Randall Cobb was a H.S. QB. I think it helps with understanding the overall game. I think he could develop into a chain mover type guy. He had Collin Klein as his QB, and he was not known as a great throwing QB, so once Harper gets into the playbook and understands the scheme better, imagine having a QB who is on-time and accurate along with a guy who was thought of so highly that the Seahawks drafted him in the 4th! It would be interesting to know why he didn't make the roster. I'm glad we got him, though. Looks promising.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/8/29/4673250/chris-harper-seahawks-roster-bubble (when he wasn't going to make the Seattle roster)

red
10-18-2013, 08:56 PM
As for Charles Johnson, this is from the Journel Sentinel piece...

***As of right now, the Browns still hold the rights to Johnson. If Johnson can prove that his injury happened while with the Packers it would raise an interesting question about whether he should receive an injury settlement or revert back to the Packers' roster. It's possible the Browns aren't going to keep him around since his injury didn't occur with them and they aren't responsible for paying for his rehab or his salary.***

I hope it's proven that the injury occured while a Packer (seems more than likely) and that he's returned to Green Bay. I think he's an interesting prospect.

Chris Harper is someone that I was facinated with coming into the draft. Great size and build. I like that he played QB (when he was at Oregon, and perhaps in H.S., although not sure). I believe Randall Cobb was a H.S. QB. I think it helps with understanding the overall game. I think he could develop into a chain mover type guy. He had Collin Klein as his QB, and he was not known as a great throwing QB, so once Harper gets into the playbook and understands the scheme better, imagine having a QB who is on-time and accurate along with a guy who was thought of so highly that the Seahawks drafted him in the 4th! It would be interesting to know why he didn't make the roster. I'm glad we got him, though. Looks promising.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/8/29/4673250/chris-harper-seahawks-roster-bubble (when he wasn't going to make the Seattle roster)

he was a qb in high school and went to oregon to be a QB. he didn't have the skills to be QB (i think 4 career attempts) so they moved him to WR. he didn't like that so he transffered to k-state. they didn't think he could be QB either so they moved him right back to WR

cobb on the other hand WAS a QB in college mostly running the wildcat. he also played WR, running back and was the return man

KYPack
10-18-2013, 09:45 PM
he was a qb in high school and went to oregon to be a QB. he didn't have the skills to be QB (i think 4 career attempts) so they moved him to WR. he didn't like that so he transffered to k-state. they didn't think he could be QB either so they moved him right back to WR

cobb on the other hand WAS a QB in college mostly running the wildcat. he also played WR, running back and was the return man

Cobb was Tennesee player of the year as a HS QB. He played QB at Kentucky and ran from the gun, under center and some Wildcat. (They called the Wildcat the "Wild Cobb" because Kentucky IS the Wildcats.) Randall was moved from the QB position to WR to allow him to make more plays. I've always worried about Randall getting hurt in GB bc he's such a balls out player.

This Harper kid sounds interesting. I know zippo about him, but sounds like he could be a facet of our offense.

Patler
10-18-2013, 10:01 PM
Harper sounds interesting, but.....we are always surprised when a 4th rounder is cut loose as a rookie, and he has been released by two teams already as a rookie.

Carolina_Packer
10-19-2013, 05:09 AM
Harper sounds interesting, but.....we are always surprised when a 4th rounder is cut loose as a rookie, and he has been released by two teams already as a rookie.

He didn't really have a great shot, given how stacked both Seattle and San Francisco's teams are. The Packers wouldn't have had a realistic shot at getting him either, given how highly Seattle regarded him, enough to draft him in the 4th round, which was likely too rich for our blood. I don't think it is a bad reflection on him that he was released as a 4th rounder and put on the practice squad. Just because he may have been drafted a bit too high doesn't mean he doesn't have the talent/skills to develop. Every player takes some time to develop, but the bottom line is that getting a kid with this kind of upside and athleticism as a street free agent and getting him when he's undervalued is a great move by TT. I hope he shows out sooner than expected.