PDA

View Full Version : Official packers - Ravens game thread 10/13/2013

Pages : 1 2 [3]

swede
10-13-2013, 03:11 PM
There are some clunky parts in that defensive backfield, but I like how the D rolled. Props to helmet hair, Hawk, and the other members of the front 7.

pbmax
10-13-2013, 03:12 PM
I said Finley would need three catches. there it is!

You and packerglory (Finley down seam call) get pink ribbons today.

The Shadow
Did the Packers re-hire Ed Donatell to coach 4th & long strategy?

pittstang5
We win the battle, but at what cost, Lois?

At what cost?

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Cobb is probably done for the year. Jones - no clue. I think Driver might be getting a call, they have no one else.

denverYooper
10-13-2013, 03:13 PM
I think Lacy makes the studs list.

pbmax
10-13-2013, 03:14 PM
See Fin a rookie is smarter than your dumb ass.

To be fair, I always knew the answer NOT to give in class if someone screwed it up first.

pbmax
10-13-2013, 03:15 PM
I think Lacy makes the studs list.

Just maybe. Think we are going to love that kid.

denverYooper
10-13-2013, 03:15 PM
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Cobb is probably done for the year. Jones - no clue. I think Driver might be getting a call, they have no one else.

At least Jones was walking around. Crutches are not a good look for Cobb.

denverYooper
10-13-2013, 03:18 PM
The Packers are becoming the team Wist has always wanted.

Harlan Huckleby
Finley through the Ravens a lifeline in that last drive.

How does a professional football player deliberately run out of bounds when his team is trying to kill the clock?

Fritz
At least Jones was walking around. Crutches are not a good look for Cobb.

Yup. All holding our collective breath.

How bad is the Jones injury? How bad the Cobb injury? I heard Cobb's on the radio - sounds ugly, the knee.

Ah, that good ol' Packer luck. Matthews out 4-6, now this shit.

And don't forget the best ST player, Francois, who also is the top inside linebacker backup.

Or Bulaga. Or Tretter. Or Hayward. Or B. Jones.

pbmax
10-13-2013, 03:19 PM

How does a professional football player deliberately run out of bounds when his team is trying to kill the clock?

The first down was the most important and being in FG range was nice, but yes, just fall down. It simply eliminates ways for the game to go south.

King Friday
10-13-2013, 03:19 PM
We don't need stud WRs. We need to establish the run game and utilize play action.

Having stud WRs let us have the luxury of running empty backfield shotgun 80% of the time. Now, we have to play a standard offense...and with actual RBs to work with for the first time in years, it stands a good chance of WORKING.

The 2 biggest plays today came on pass plays when the defense was keying on the run. That is football. It works. McCarthy just needs to wake up and do it.

Harlan Huckleby
10-13-2013, 03:21 PM
Burnett was covering the middle of the field at the first down line. McMillan had deep responsibilities and blew goat balls.

I'm not sure Burnett is off the hook. He was playing too shallow for that situation too.

King Friday
10-13-2013, 03:21 PM

LOL

Yep. That's why he's not here much anymore.

Harlan Huckleby
10-13-2013, 03:23 PM

I mostly give the Packers credit for a gutty win. But several glaring errors in coverage leave a bad taste in the anus. that came out wrong.

pbmax
10-13-2013, 03:27 PM
Jones leg injury its termed, Cobb is knee according to Packer post game PR

Fritz
10-13-2013, 03:27 PM
Whether that came out wrong or not, it apparently came out on your tongue!

As for the game, outside of that awful fourth down play - looked like Burnett and McMillan were keystone krapping it - the defense looked tough. And the offense, outside the terrible pass blocking through most of the game, was functional.

After hearing about numerous flubbed blocks by Fin, and another drop, and all around dumb play (not getting out of bounds), I'm not sure he's worthy of big money. I wonder if Quarless will get any speed and cutting ability back.

Harlan Huckleby
10-13-2013, 03:31 PM
After hearing about numerous flubbed blocks by Fin, and another drop, and all around dumb play (not getting out of bounds), I'm not sure he's worthy of big money. I wonder if Quarless will get any speed and cutting ability back.

When you see Dallas Clark, an over-the-hill TE for Ravens, look all-world, you do wonder if the packers might be better off without their "superstar" and just get somebody steady.

I reserve the right to change my mind the next time Finley makes a big play.

Freak Out
10-13-2013, 03:32 PM

Guy is a blockhead. Blockhead.

Harlan Huckleby
10-13-2013, 03:34 PM
Guy is a blockhead. Blockhead.

So I said "through" instead of "threw". Back off, grammar nazi

red
10-13-2013, 03:43 PM

he didn't want to get hit

and thats the only answer that works

denverYooper
10-13-2013, 03:47 PM
Time to usher in the Brandon Bostick era.

SMBASS
10-13-2013, 03:48 PM
I don't know what's going to happen with Finley after this year but if it were up to me I'd end the experiment and let him walk. Guy's a classic tease and will never be worth the money he thinks he deserves. IMO he's not close to being worth the 8 mil. or whatever they're paying him this year. Way too many drops, bonehead plays, can't block worth a shit, often injured, doesn't have the speed he once did anymore, and he's never been the Cover-2 beater he was supposed to be. Give me a Jason Whitten type TE all day long over someone like Finley. I'd look hard at drafting another young TE somewhat early in next year's draft and going to free agency in the offseason to find a good vet who can block, catch passes, and knows how to find holes in a zone defense. I honestly think you could get better overall production for half the price that Finley is costing us.

I have nothing against the guy personally and I've been rooting like hell for him to be the player we thought he could but at this point I don't ever see it happening. I have no idea what Ted is going to do but this is just my opinion of the situation.

red
10-13-2013, 03:55 PM
When you see Dallas Clark, an over-the-hill TE for Ravens, look all-world, you do wonder if the packers might be better off without their "superstar" and just get somebody steady.

I reserve the right to change my mind the next time Finley makes a big play.

you just need someone that can get open or fight for the ball 6 yards over the middle on third and five, and a guy you know will hold on to the ball. there are a lot of those guys out there, and they are pretty cheap, but..

we don't have one

denverYooper
10-13-2013, 03:56 PM
Paul Imig ‏@Paulimig 7m

Aaron Rodgers on the hit to Randall Cobb: "From my vantage point, (Elam) had plenty of time to not take a player's legs out." #Packers

Rodgers was pissed about it during the game, too.

red
10-13-2013, 03:56 PM
ah fuck. i just figured out i have to start this stupid thread again next week

i really hate you guys

Guiness
10-13-2013, 04:09 PM
does hurry up offense mean that we stand around and look around until theres 3 seconds left on the play clock, then we have to "hurry up" and snap it?

That's not fair.

The Ravens were working really hard to change the look and cause the offense grief. Rodgers was making calls trying to keep up, realized it was a losing proposition and bailed. Smart.

Harlan Huckleby
10-13-2013, 04:17 PM
I don't know what's going to happen with Finley after this year but if it were up to me I'd end the experiment and let him walk. Guy's a classic tease and will never be worth the money he thinks he deserves. IMO he's not close to being worth the 8 mil. or whatever they're paying him this year. Way too many drops, bonehead plays, can't block worth a shit, often injured, doesn't have the speed he once did anymore, and he's never been the Cover-2 beater he was supposed to be. Give me a Jason Whitten type TE all day long over someone like Finley. I'd look hard at drafting another young TE somewhat early in next year's draft and going to free agency in the offseason to find a good vet who can block, catch passes, and knows how to find holes in a zone defense. I honestly think you could get better overall production for half the price that Finley is costing us.

I have nothing against the guy personally and I've been rooting like hell for him to be the player we thought he could but at this point I don't ever see it happening. I have no idea what Ted is going to do but this is just my opinion of the situation.

Sounds about right to me. I do think Finley plays with fire and has improved his blocking, but he is not a special player.

run pMc
10-13-2013, 04:30 PM
Crap...so Cobb and Jones are hurt...do they bring back Ross? I can't see them bringing Driver back.

Brandon494
10-13-2013, 04:37 PM
They better call Tryoneeeeeeee! Tyrone Walker that is!

Guiness
10-13-2013, 07:07 PM
The first down was the most important and being in FG range was nice, but yes, just fall down. It simply eliminates ways for the game to go south.

I need to watch again at the down, distance and time remaining. Which catch by Finley are you guys referring to? For some reason I remember wanting him to get out of bounds???

red
10-13-2013, 07:10 PM
I need to watch again at the down, distance and time remaining. Which catch by Finley are you guys referring to? For some reason I remember wanting him to get out of bounds???

umm, i think it was his one catch

the long one at the end of the game. and we needed to do was run out the clock. he got the first, then a lot more. then ran out of bounds and needed lacy to bail him out. if he had stayed in bounds the clock either keeps running, or they have to burn a TO.

finley basically gave them an extra time out by going out of bounds

mraynrand
10-13-2013, 07:14 PM
Crap...so Cobb and Jones are hurt...do they bring back Ross? I can't see them bringing Driver back.

So you're saying ...... there's a chance?

http://localtvwiti.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/jeremy-ross.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Bl-Dhb9ZYLc/TwEnAdeepdI/AAAAAAAALJI/vqiTe7S4_t0/s400/jim%2Bcarrey.jpg

pbmax
10-13-2013, 07:14 PM

End of game, last drive. About 1:50 or so left on clock. 3rd and 3, he caught a crossing pattern and ran for 40 yards or so. Had a first immediately after the catch. After 30 yards had a decent FG. Then defender closed and he fought for more yardage with a stiff arm and was angled OOB. Stopped clock.

At this point, the odds favored the Pack in a huge way: http://live.advancednflstats.com/index.php?gameid1=2013101300

But the Ravens still had a TO or two. On the third down play, before Lacy got a first, there was 1:32 left. Had Fin not gone OOB, the clock would have been running and the Ravens would not be able to get the ball back even if they stuffed the Packers on 3rd down with more than 30 seconds on the clock.

KYPack
10-13-2013, 07:33 PM
are you suggesting a packer team lead by M# who is not prepared to start a game?

i am going to guess that we will defer and they will get a TD to open the game

I think we get in a hole early and can't come back to lose the tough roadie

I made a bad prediction and Red busted my ass.

This will reverse the trend of people bumping threads that had their weak ass predictions in'em.

I had super bad vibes going into this game.

Balt is a tough tough roadie.

Solid win for the GBP.

pbmax
10-13-2013, 07:40 PM
McCarthy seems to do alright on the road versus good teams:

Rk Tm From To G W L T W-L%
1 NWE 2006 2013 19 9 10 0 0.474
2 IND 2006 2013 25 11 14 0 0.440
3 NOR 2006 2013 21 9 12 0 0.429
4 PIT 2006 2013 22 9 13 0 0.409
5 DAL 2006 2013 24 9 15 0 0.375
6 GNB 2006 2013 28 10 18 0 0.357
7 NYG 2006 2013 27 9 18 0 0.333
8 BAL 2006 2013 30 10 20 0 0.333
9 NYJ 2006 2013 21 7 14 0 0.333
10 TEN 2006 2012 25 8 17 0 0.320

In multiple seasons, from 2006 to 2013, in the Regular Season, playing on the road, only in games against teams with winning record for season.

Maxie the Taxi
10-13-2013, 08:25 PM
Our roster is packed with TE's. Why not run multiple TE's until our WR corps is shored up? Bostick and Stoneburner used to play WR, I think. Taylor was open for a long pass play last week or the week before but dropped the ball. Plus, Finley can be a deep threat. Plus, extra TE's would compliment the running game.

As far as pass catchers go, J. Franklin is a good receiver out of the backfield.

So we become more of a dink and dunk-type team for a while instead of chucking downfield every four plays.

I really don't think we're going to find veteran receivers to plug into the lineup to adequately replace Jones and Cobb in the short run. The only one I can think of is Jordan Shipley, who is currently unemployed. He's got three years experience in the NFL but doesn't know the Packers system.

I don't think young guys from the preseason who know the system are the answer either. Guys like T. Walker and A. Gillett would be green as hell and prone to mistakes.

Maybe Stubby should put on his thinking cap and figure out how to use the guys we have on the roster to get us by until Jones and Cobb are healthy.

Just my opinion.

red
10-20-2013, 09:11 AM
Here's your fucking game day thread thread

red
10-20-2013, 09:12 AM
oh god damnit

KYPack
10-20-2013, 09:57 AM
Why was he born so beautiful?

Why was he born at all?