PDA

View Full Version : Is a-rod coasting now that he got his huge contract?

red
10-13-2013, 03:47 PM
it needs to be brought up. if it was any other player that is in this kind of slump after signing a huge deal we would be ragging on him

well a-rod just became the highest paid player in nfl history this offseason, really didn't play in pre season and is now having one of his worst seasons (by his standards)

our offense is not winning us games at this point and it starts with a-rod and M3's and his shitty play calling

denverYooper
10-13-2013, 03:48 PM
lol

red
10-13-2013, 03:51 PM
i don't care what his QB rating is. he's way off on a lot of his passes this year and looks to be playing his worst since he took over for favre

he also fumbled twice today

Carolina_Packer
10-13-2013, 04:02 PM
He didn't have a ton of "clean plays" as A-Rod and MM like to say. That offensive line was very challenged today, and A-Rod was sacked, pressured or hurried quite a bit. If the D can keep this kind of play going, then perhaps we are down to just fixing the O-line issues. A couple of times I saw his inaccuracies due to not having good footwork. He rolled out and had time to set his feet but hurried his throw (overthrow to Finley comes to mind). I disagree that he's coasting, unless you are saying it tongue in cheek and I'm not picking up your sarcasm. Take away two of the top receiving weapons and not really have Finley step up (save for last drive) and regularly get open. They won on the road and that's big.

pbmax
10-13-2013, 04:03 PM
O line give him some pass blocking and I will let you know.

All the word leaking out of Lambeau is that he has not changed.

swede
10-13-2013, 04:18 PM
Keep him feeling the love, Red. You don't want Jared Allen to take him to dinner.

Brandon494
10-13-2013, 04:30 PM
Lol are we this spoiled as Packer fans? I guess having a hall of fame under center 20+ years and counting will do that to you. :wink:

BZnDallas
10-13-2013, 04:38 PM
Lol are we this spoiled as Packer fans? I guess having a hall of fame under center 20+ years and counting will do that to you. :wink:

i agree brandon, it has been hella nice, another thing to think about is the quality of defenses we've seen in the first 5 games. SF, Cin, and Bal is a pretty nasty bunch. one more thing i just thought of is maybe the offense is learning how to play with a running game. lacy sure is fun to watch...

pbmax
10-13-2013, 05:04 PM
Last couple of weeks everyone was talking about how McCarthy and Rodgers need to learn to game plan and audible with a better than average running game. And I think to a point, say, shotgun with one back to give Rodgers time to scan the field away from a pass rush, is one example where they could alter their approach.

But the other adjustment they need to make is the fact that their tackles can not be trusted to pass block for more than the traditional 3 seconds. So the pass game protection needs to be addressed too.

HarveyWallbangers
10-13-2013, 05:38 PM
LOL

Freak Out
10-13-2013, 05:55 PM
Rodgers is frustrated and you can see it. No way is the guy coasting...he is WAY to competitive for that. Red we'll let this one slide due to the injury....pain meds and booze is a bad combo. :)

red
10-13-2013, 06:08 PM
i really wasn't saying he's coasting, i was asking

because he is not playing like he usually does, and if he was anyone but our most beloved player people would be asking questions

i would say flacco isn't playing as well after he got his big contract either. and i would have said the same for romo before last weeks game

Airin' Rodgers
10-13-2013, 06:10 PM
Rodgers is "coasting" to the pace of a 5,260 yard, 32 TD season

red
10-13-2013, 06:22 PM
Rodgers is "coasting" to the pace of a 5,260 yard, 32 TD season

yes yes, numbers are fun to play with

over the last 3 games he's had 3 td's 3 int's and is averaging 278 yards per game and a 60 % completion percentage

so if he continues on his current pace he'll end up with 4705 yards, 21 td's (career low) and 15 int's (career high) and a career low by far for completion %

but his QB rating will probably still be pretty high, so we'll all be happy

we're also living in a day and age where 5200 yards passing might not be all that great. wecould have multiple guys going over 6000 this season. manning is on pace for like 10,000 yards and 120 Td's

denverYooper
10-13-2013, 06:37 PM
As long as he keeps winning games decided by 4 points or less, it's cool.

Rutnstrut
10-13-2013, 06:51 PM
I missed the game today, and I'm usually very critical of Rodgers. But I just don't think he's the type to coast.

pbmax
10-13-2013, 06:51 PM
As long as he keeps winning games decided by 4 points or less, it's cool.

Plus a comeback or two or it doesn't count.

mraynrand
10-13-2013, 06:57 PM
Rodgers is coasting in the pocket, relaxing and eating a sammich before he throws a pass at 1.5 seconds.

I'd like Rodgers to catch more passes for his receivers.

Also, The comment about the tackles is incorrect: Bacteria can pass block anywhere from 2-5 seconds. Barclay is 1-2.5 seconds.

red
10-13-2013, 06:58 PM
I missed the game today, and I'm usually very critical of Rodgers. But I just don't think he's the type to coast.

i don't think he's the type either

but part of the reason i made this thread was to ask. if he was coasting, would we bring it up, or would we be in denial?

most of, if not all of us love a-rod, just like favre before him. but if he slides do we have the balls to say he's sucking it up and that something needs to change?

mraynrand
10-13-2013, 07:04 PM
if he was coasting, would we bring it up, or would we be in denial?

Too much other bad stuff going on to pin anything on Rodgers. I don't know how you'd even detect it, unless he just got Jamarcus Russel fat and out of shape, or if he starts missing the broad side of the barn over and over. He did a lot of nice things today. One hard thing to assess is how often he takes sacks or throws balls away to prevent INTs, sacks respectively.

pbmax
10-13-2013, 07:06 PM
Rodgers is coasting in the pocket, relaxing and eating a sammich before he throws a pass at 1.5 seconds.

I'd like Rodgers to catch more passes for his receivers.

Also, The comment about the tackles is incorrect: Bacteria can pass block anywhere from 2-5 seconds. Barclay is 1-2.5 seconds.

I will give Bach credit for 2.5 seconds. Usually.

sharpe1027
10-13-2013, 08:15 PM
I'll take Rodgers coasting over just about any other QB.

PA Pack Fan
10-13-2013, 09:24 PM
The guy definitely ain't earning his paycheck this year. He's got three major problems at the moment.

1. He's indecisive........he can't pull the trigger, he's missing guys wide open on 2nd and third options.....and If nobody's open throw the fucking ball away.

2 Accuracy....it comes and goes. Those throws to Boykin were pathetic

3.Audibles and clock management

Don't give me the running for his life bullshit. Let him own it.

denverYooper
10-14-2013, 08:57 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/93442/nfl-week-6-quarterback-report

Aaron Rodgers
Passer rating: 84.8
QBR: 34.3
Briefly: A 64-yard touchdown pass to receiver Jordy Nelson was one of two passes Rodgers completed that traveled 15 yards or further downfield. His QBR in the second half, after losing receivers James Jones and Randall Cobb, was a sparkling 96.8. He completed 7 of 11 passes after halftime and wasn't sacked.

Notice how his numbers were better when he stopped getting pummeled. There were also several drops in the first half, IIRC. He had at least 2 big 3rd down conversions (Jordy, Finley) to help keep the Ravens off of the field in the 4th Qtr.

See, this performance won't count toward his "clutchiness" or his "4th Quarter Comebacks"(tm), but he played better in the second half, and particularly in the 4th quarter, down 2 WRS, when they needed him to be smart and close out the game. While Brady gets all the pub this morning, Rodgers quietly had a very effective 4th quarter to close out a tough opponent on their own field.

denverYooper
10-14-2013, 09:05 AM
The guy definitely ain't earning his paycheck this year. He's got three major problems at the moment.

1. He's indecisive........he can't pull the trigger, he's missing guys wide open on 2nd and third options.....and If nobody's open throw the fucking ball away.

2 Accuracy....it comes and goes. Those throws to Boykin were pathetic

3.Audibles and clock management

Don't give me the running for his life bullshit. Let him own it.

I'd be willing to bet that a few of those misses to Boykin were Boykin's fault. I bet those two will spend some quality time in the film room trying to get on the same page this week. I'm about 95% sure those were supposed to be rhythm throws to a spot where the WR should be.

Clock management... PB noted in the GDT that the clock operator had the home field finger. As far as audibles, I don't know, but I think he helps get Lacy the ball in favorable situations.

denverYooper
10-14-2013, 09:13 AM
It should be noted that the Packers have faced the 5th (9ers), 7th(Lions), and 11th(Bengals) pass defenses in terms of passer rating. The Ravens are 19th but are second in sacks, averaging 3.5 sacks per game.

The Browns, coming up, are 6th. Maybe ayn can fill us in on that a bit, but we might expect another subpar game by Rodgers's standards (especially w/Cobb and Jones out).

PA Pack Fan
10-14-2013, 09:53 AM
Hey, I like Rodgers as much as the next guy, but his play this year (outside of week 1and 2)hasn’t been impressive. To say he was “pummeled” in the first half is not accurate at all. He’s under pressure just like every other quarterback in the league. That’s the nature of the position. There will always be 6 or 7 guys trying to rip his head off. We have 100 yards rushing per game lately, that doesn’t come from a shitty offensive line. They are doing the job. Rodgers is just too indecisive. He hangs on to the ball way too long, and the throws to Boykin……….I don’t think he gets a free pass on the receiver not being exactly where he should be. It was a 10 yard pass.

The drops don’t help his stats, and the play calling is terrible….but other than that, he needs to step it up.

week 3 29th 64.5
week 5 9th 106.8
week 6 15th 84.8

Patler
10-14-2013, 10:07 AM
.... and the throws to Boykin……….I don’t think he gets a free pass on the receiver not being exactly where he should be. It was a 10 yard pass.

I don't think you are giving enough relevance to the amount of anticipation that is involved in completing NFL throws. The QB often throws well before the receiver has finished his route, and throws to where he expects the receiver to end up. If the receiver runs the route a step too long or too short, or rounds off a cut that should be square, or comes out of a break slow, the pass will likely be incomplete, and sometimes look way off the mark.

mraynrand
10-14-2013, 10:17 AM
^^^ Packers are getting the ball out very quick this year. Advantages are avoiding sacks; disadvantages are that patterns tend to be shorter, there is no room for error (like with Boykin), and you get tipped balls.

denverYooper
10-14-2013, 10:30 AM
I think opposing defenses should just key in on the Packers' run game. That will clearly stop this offense.

denverYooper
10-14-2013, 10:37 AM
The funny thing here is that Rodgers had a great second half/4th quarter, the thing he often gets dinged for. The (misplaced) knock on him these last couple of years is that he's a front runner and loads up the stats in the first 3 quarters but can't get it done in the 4th. Yesterday, he played the kind of 2nd half that people say he doesn't, and people are complaining about him regressing.

Sure, he fumbled a couple of snaps and threw an INT in the redzone. But he got it done when it counted at the end of the game. That, and a competent D and run game, are often how guys get a reputation for being great 4th quarter QBs.

GB's last 3 drives were their 3 longest and they produced on their last 4 drives:
38 yards, 3:04, FG
80 yards, 2:22, TD
72 yards, 7:35, FG
69 yards, 2:04, Victory formation

denverYooper
10-14-2013, 10:51 AM
Now, I am concerned about the team's performance in the Red Zone since the 49er game. That has been troubling lately.

mraynrand
10-14-2013, 10:55 AM
Yesterday, he played the kind of 2nd half that people say he doesn't, and people are complaining about him regressing.

I bet Rodgers couldn't do regression if you gave him a Ti-89 and an instructional youtube video

Pugger
10-14-2013, 11:21 AM
If you think about it he lost 2 WRs and the Ravens D line - especially the guys on the edges - can be a handful for the best linemen in the league. He did make the throws when he needed to. The biggest one was the one to Finley late in the 4th to seal the deal. It is kinda funny. This isn't the first thread I've seen on a Packer forum this morning where someone was questioning Rodgers' play.

Smidgeon
10-14-2013, 11:22 AM
The offense hasn't seemed nearly as explosive as in 2011. I remember in the following offseason someone saying that the playcalling would change a bit to no longer gas the defense (maybe I'm misremembering). Now that the defense is playing well, why aren't they going back to that style? Does the offense no longer have the personnel? Are defenses suddenly better defending than they were for every game except the Chiefs and playoffs? (That last I find hard to believe that no team before the Chiefs tried to defend them that same way.) Anyway, I wonder about the offense's effectiveness too, but I don't know where the finger gets pointed. I'm guessing to the o-line. But that's a completely uneducated guess.

Pugger
10-14-2013, 11:24 AM
I think opposing defenses should just key in on the Packers' run game. That will clearly stop this offense.

:lol:

3irty1
10-14-2013, 11:39 AM
The offense hasn't seemed nearly as explosive as in 2011. I remember in the following offseason someone saying that the playcalling would change a bit to no longer gas the defense (maybe I'm misremembering). Now that the defense is playing well, why aren't they going back to that style? Does the offense no longer have the personnel? Are defenses suddenly better defending than they were for every game except the Chiefs and playoffs? (That last I find hard to believe that no team before the Chiefs tried to defend them that same way.) Anyway, I wonder about the offense's effectiveness too, but I don't know where the finger gets pointed. I'm guessing to the o-line. But that's a completely uneducated guess.

No longer has the personnel. In 2011 the Packers had Jennings and Nelson both who could routinely get open deep. Jordy still shows the ability to get by a man but it had been a while before we'd seen him reel one in over his shoulder. Two deep threats like we had in 2011 is highly synergistic as coverage can't simply be rolled to one side or another and there are way less match up problems for opposing covermen. Jones, Nelson, and Finley don't really have the long speed to blow past DB's. They typically rely on YAC for big plays.

Smidgeon
10-14-2013, 11:58 AM
No longer has the personnel. In 2011 the Packers had Jennings and Nelson both who could routinely get open deep. Jordy still shows the ability to get by a man but it had been a while before we'd seen him reel one in over his shoulder. Two deep threats like we had in 2011 is highly synergistic as coverage can't simply be rolled to one side or another and there are way less match up problems for opposing covermen. Jones, Nelson, and Finley don't really have the long speed to blow past DB's. They typically rely on YAC for big plays.

I was explaining to my girlfriend last night that Finley used to be great and now he's just good. Will he ever get back to his pre-ACL form, or is this his ceiling now? He was on pace to be league-changing.

Joemailman
10-14-2013, 12:22 PM
I was explaining to my girlfriend last night that Finley used to be great and now he's just good. Will he ever get back to his pre-ACL form, or is this his ceiling now? He was on pace to be league-changing.

I think he's very good, and that's it. He's on pace for a 64-730-6 season.

mraynrand
10-14-2013, 12:41 PM

You can tell Rodgers has too little confidence in him. In 2009, Rodgers would throw balls over his head and expect him to catch them. Yesterday - like the last two years - he throws them in front or low. I think Rodgers is afraid of stuff going through his hands and getting picked. But the higher throws are where he wins all the battles with slower and shorter LBs/DBs. With confidence and higher throws, Finley could get three or four more catches each game, if his hands could be trusted.

Smidgeon
10-14-2013, 12:59 PM
You can tell Rodgers has too little confidence in him. In 2009, Rodgers would throw balls over his head and expect him to catch them. Yesterday - like the last two years - he throws them in front or low. I think Rodgers is afraid of stuff going through his hands and getting picked. But the higher throws are where he wins all the battles with slower and shorter LBs/DBs. With confidence and higher throws, Finley could get three or four more catches each game, if his hands could be trusted.

Well, even if he doesn't get that confidence back, like Joe said, he's on pace for another good year. I just wanted him to step up and be the TE he was in 2009-2010.

3irty1
10-14-2013, 04:31 PM

Finley will always seem like an underachiever because of what he did from the end of 2009 until his injury in 2010 but he's secretly playing the best all-around ball of his career right now. You see that block where he decleated Suggs and sent him into another LB? Part of the issue is that what made him elite was his ability to high-point the ball and out-jump covermen. We simply haven't been throwing him those kinds of jump balls because... well this isn't Madden. But I guess in 2009 it was.

pbmax
10-14-2013, 04:45 PM
When I look to portion blame between a QB and WR, I always give the benefit of the doubt to the 3rd year bench warming WR rather than the Super Bowl MVP.

Patler
10-14-2013, 04:49 PM
The big problem with Finley is that he just is not reliable. The only thing consistent about him is his inconsistency. He made a nice block on one play, but got totally blown up on another, which I think resulted in a sack. He made a nice catch and run at the end of the game, but ends it by going out of bounds to stop the clock. That came after having a key drop in the first half on a nicely thrown 3rd down pass.

Nelson had a drop and missed block too, but he has other games in which he is solid through out. With Finley it seems you get good and bad every game.

Smidgeon
10-14-2013, 05:05 PM
Finley will always seem like an underachiever because of what he did from the end of 2009 until his injury in 2010 but he's secretly playing the best all-around ball of his career right now. You see that block where he decleated Suggs and sent him into another LB? Part of the issue is that what made him elite was his ability to high-point the ball and out-jump covermen. We simply haven't been throwing him those kinds of jump balls because... well this isn't Madden. But I guess in 2009 it was.

Makes me wonder why the red zone fade to Finley isn't being used. His second year he made that his unstoppable play. Equivalent to Jordy's sideline catches.

HarveyWallbangers
10-14-2013, 05:27 PM
Finley has been an asset this year, and he'll be a bigger asset over the next few weeks. I couldn't imagine going into the next game without him, Cobb, and Jones. Nelson + Boykin + Quarless (or Taylor) would be ugly.

Joemailman
10-14-2013, 05:46 PM

Makes me wonder why the red zone fade to Finley isn't being used. His second year he made that his unstoppable play. Equivalent to Jordy's sideline catches.

Maybe Finley simply isn't able to elevate the way he could prior to the knee injury. People might need to lower their expectations and just accept that he'll never be Jimmy Graham.

pbmax
10-14-2013, 06:32 PM
This goes along with the online argument about whether Brady was terrible or merely average in the first four plus games this year (prior to his 2 minute drive to win versus NO).

The answer is both: average for rest of League, terrible for him and his contract number.

Finley is not worth his number right now. The fact that we still wonder if he is limited by his injury is enough reason to reduce that number.

Bretsky
10-14-2013, 06:44 PM
Not buying this

Bretsky
10-14-2013, 06:45 PM
BTW...agree with Harv....we're dam lucky to have Finley while Cobb is out......and even luckier if they are both out for a while. He is still a threat. I'm find if we don't pay him the big number.........but the crap at TE on our roster is .....just that.........and then goodness we at least have a threat there for the next couple months.

CaptainKickass
10-14-2013, 06:57 PM
I totally think Aaron has some sort of something that he's dealing with. I'm speculating but perhaps he has a minor but lingering injury. He's mentioned in the past about how he keeps that shit to himself. Or - maybe he's got woman troubles - wouldn't be the first or last guy to have a girl affect his job.

But I do agree - while his performance is easily adequate for any other NFL caliber QB - he totally seems "off" so far. The 'skins game not withstanding.

Joemailman
10-14-2013, 07:11 PM
I totally think Aaron has some sort of something that he's dealing with. I'm speculating but perhaps he has a minor but lingering injury. He's mentioned in the past about how he keeps that shit to himself. Or - maybe he's got woman troubles - wouldn't be the first or last guy to have a girl affect his job.

But I do agree - while his performance is easily adequate for any other NFL caliber QB - he totally seems "off" so far. The 'skins game not withstanding.

Maybe this really is 2010 all over again. He was mediocre in the 1st half of that season (12 TD's, 9 INT's), but 16-2 in the second half.

PA Pack Fan
10-14-2013, 07:28 PM
Or - maybe he's got woman troubles - wouldn't be the first or last guy to have a girl affect his job.

@#$%^& women!

mraynrand
10-14-2013, 11:54 PM
Maybe Finley simply isn't able to elevate the way he could prior to the knee injury. People might need to lower their expectations and just accept that he'll never be Jimmy Graham.

he doesn't have to jump. Just raise his arms. Rodgers won't throw high to him in traffic.

mraynrand
10-14-2013, 11:54 PM
@#$%^& women!

You sound like Walden

mraynrand
10-14-2013, 11:56 PM
Well, even if he doesn't get that confidence back, like Joe said, he's on pace for another good year. I just wanted him to step up and be the TE he was in 2009-2010.

Finley seems to have confidence to spare. Maybe he could give some to Rodgers :)

George Cumby
10-15-2013, 12:12 AM
Finley seems to have confidence to spare. Maybe he could give some to Rodgers :)

Hawk credits his resurgence to having kids. Maybe JMike can loan Rodgers some of his.