PDA

View Full Version : More Banjo Week 6 @ Ravens

pbmax
10-13-2013, 04:12 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 19m
Sounds like #Packers WR James Jones dodged a bullet with his injury. He's indicated to people that he's OK.

pbmax
10-13-2013, 04:13 PM
Rodgers in post game called Elam out (gently but clearly) that it looked like the hit was entirely avoidable on Cobb. Said the entire offense remembered what he did to Dustin Keller.

Rodgers said the other safety made some good points about the difficulty of hitting the target zone for a safety on a play like that. Thought it was a good debate or was just joking and trolling some defender who was screaming at him after he went after Elam

denverYooper
10-13-2013, 04:20 PM
Packerpedia ‏@Packerpedia 21m

Ravens WR Torrey Smith entered the game third in the NFL in receiving yards. He was held to one reception for 12 yards.

pbmax
10-13-2013, 05:08 PM
I kinda like the Ravens. They and the Packers seem like twins this year.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 41m
RT @RavensInsider: James Ihedigbo: 'I don't know what Randall Cobb suffered, but I'm praying for him because it's unfortunate.'

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 46m
James Ihedigbo on rules 'He wants us to hit low, we'll hit low, and guys will keep getting injured, God forbid.'

pbmax
10-13-2013, 05:09 PM
Who is bringing an edge back to the defense?

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 41m
Mike Daniels: “I don’t ever want to hear that s-word around here again. You know what I’m talking about." #packers

pbmax
10-13-2013, 05:35 PM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 1h
Nelson on Cobb, Jones injuries: "As far as I know, it’s possibly not as bad as it could have been." That's all I've got, folks.

pbmax
10-13-2013, 05:36 PM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 40m
Jerron McMillian said the #Packers didn't get a defensive play call in on the TD to Dallas Clark after the long pass the play before.

denverYooper
10-13-2013, 06:21 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 8m

Packers WR Randall Cobb (knee) will have an MRI tomorrow morning, source says. But early indications are that it may not be a major injury

red
10-13-2013, 06:24 PM

Packers WR Randall Cobb (knee) will have an MRI tomorrow morning, source says. But early indications are that it may not be a major injury

wow

this should maybe have its own thread yoop

even if he's back before the end of the season it would be huge IMO

red
10-13-2013, 06:26 PM
Who is bringing an edge back to the defense?

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 41m
Mike Daniels: “I don’t ever want to hear that s-word around here again. You know what I’m talking about." #packers

smurfs? shitty? slobbish? slocum?

what s-word?

pbmax
10-13-2013, 06:44 PM
yoop beat me to it. Go Randall's knee ligaments.

pbmax
10-13-2013, 06:45 PM
smurfs? shitty? slobbish? slocum?

what s-word?

Soft'n'Small

red
10-13-2013, 06:54 PM
Go Randall's knee ligaments.

every packer fan should be sacrificing their sacrificial goats to mighty satan tonight in return for a speedy recovery

run pMc
10-13-2013, 07:38 PM
every packer fan should be sacrificing their sacrificial goats to mighty satan tonight in return for a speedy recovery

Do chickens count?

pittstang5
10-13-2013, 07:40 PM

I prayed to the Football Gods at Half-time, made a sacrifice as well, but not a goat and not to satan. It was a live chicken and gave Jobo more rum.

swede
10-13-2013, 07:45 PM

And the check is in the mail, and I'll call you in the morning, and its nothing a little penicillin won't cure.

pbmax
10-13-2013, 07:56 PM
And the check is in the mail, and I'll call you in the morning, and its nothing a little penicillin won't cure.

Listen Buzzkill Rat, if I want that kind of downer, I cal PM wist anytime. :lol:

pbmax
10-13-2013, 07:58 PM
Game saver: Packers second to last drive, with 11:30 left in game, took 7:30 off the clock and produced a FG. That was a big deal because I don't think we were going to outscore the Ravens at that point, short-handed as they were.

pbmax
10-13-2013, 07:59 PM
Ted's getting emotional, from Wilde: http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=10341&is_corp=1

By JASON WILDE
jwilde@espnwisconsin.com
BALTIMORE – When it was over, when Eddie Lacy had sprinted past the first-down marker and then smartly slid to stay in bounds and keep the clock running, Ted Thompson slammed his hand onto the counter in exultation. Heads turned throughout the M&T Bank Stadium press box, but the Green Bay Packers normally unemotional general manager couldn’t help himself.

“I shouldn’t have done that,” he then said, sheepishly.

swede
10-13-2013, 08:58 PM
Game saver: Packers second to last drive, with 11:30 left in game, took 7:30 off the clock and produced a FG. That was a big deal because I don't think we were going to outscore the Ravens at that point, short-handed as they were.

I couldn't believe how much time was run off the clock. That really contributed and gives the offense something to be proud of. At the end of the first half I really didn't think we would win without a defensive score.

What were they trying to do on offense to deal with only having two receivers? I'll need to watch it again, but I think I saw two TE sets and some two RB sets. Did they put anyone in slots we hadn't seen them before? Finley out wide?

Edit: Yeah...I checked the story above. Two TE sets.

swede
10-13-2013, 09:01 PM
By JASON WILDE
jwilde@espnwisconsin.com
BALTIMORE – When it was over, when Eddie Lacy had sprinted past the first-down marker and then smartly slid to stay in bounds and keep the clock running, Ted Thompson slammed his hand onto the counter in exultation. Heads turned throughout the M&T Bank Stadium press box, but the Green Bay Packers normally unemotional general manager couldn’t help himself.

“I shouldn’t have done that,” he then said, sheepishly.

Apparently Ted is only half Vulcan.

call_me_ishmael
10-13-2013, 09:09 PM
Ted's getting emotional, from Wilde: http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=10341&is_corp=1
I really enjoyed reading this piece.

run pMc
10-13-2013, 09:32 PM
Ravens are a very good home team; this was a quality win, especially when you consider half the starting LB's were out, and they lost Jones early and then Cobb.
Costly, but gutsy win. I loved Lacy's run and slide to seal the win.

packer4life
10-13-2013, 09:48 PM
Love the fact that MM finally used Lacy in a few 3rd and short scenarios, and lo and behold we converted them!

Now what in the hell is MM thinking giving Franklin his only carry of the game on a 3rd and short toss? Pound Lacy in those situations, PLEASE!

pbmax
10-13-2013, 10:24 PM
Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazer 2h
I said on Cobb and Jones packers don't think either is season ending but won't know 4 sure til MRIs. Cobb believed worse than Jones

pbmax
10-13-2013, 10:25 PM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 2h
#Packers defense faced just one third-down play of less than 5 yards. That was the third-and-goal that Burnett stopped.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 2h
Green Bay went 4-4 in red zone vs. SF but is 5-16 since. #Packers

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 20m
#Packers defense dominated on third down because it dominated on first down. Almost half of Ravens 1st-down plays went for 0 or less.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 3m
One of my stats from my #Packers Ultimate Game Review: @OfficialAJHawk had five TFLs: More than he had had in 2008, 2009 and 2011

pbmax
10-14-2013, 04:54 PM
Per our Chris Havel, through a source, LB Nick Perry is out with a broken foot, but will return this year. #Packers

— The Fan 1075 (@WDUZ) October 14, 2013

For now, sounds like Packers WR Randall Cobb is expected to miss two weeks.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) October 14, 2013

However ...

On #Packers WR Randall Cobb: I’m told his knee injury could keep him out a month or longer. Not season-ending it looked like. Will take time

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) October 14, 2013

pbmax
10-14-2013, 04:58 PM
Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 1h
Blog update: #Packers WR Randall Cobb will be sidelined for "multiple weeks" with knee injury: http://pckrs.com/xrzk

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
MM on Perry: Does not have a chance to play this week. ...As far as injuries, I will never, ever discuss injuries. That's up to the player.

Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 1h
MM: As for Hayward, hopefully we can get him back out there this week in practice.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 1h
McCarthy on injuries: "It's like anything in life. Are you going to cry about it or look to improve?"

pbmax
10-14-2013, 06:46 PM
http://www.espnwisconsin.com/upload/Cobb-Ravensknee.jpg

Yes, this is all Goodell's fault. There is nowhere else on the body you can hit a receiver legally anymore.

Freak Out
10-14-2013, 06:55 PM
That is just nasty ass football. No wonder Rodgers got bent. Total bush move. FUCK!!!!!

Joemailman
10-15-2013, 06:35 PM
Starting to look like Banjo is going to be a ST ace. The Jarrett Bush era may be in its waning days.

run pMc
10-16-2013, 09:06 AM
Imagine if you had Bush and Banjo as gunners and the other team had to double each. Masthay could pull a bunch of fakes and end up with a better QB rating than Rodgers.

run pMc
10-16-2013, 09:08 AM
That photo of the hit on Cobb makes me wonder why he didn't go for the ball and the midsection? I'd think anywhere above the knee and below the neck would be fair game...assuming you can catch the guy. Still, it's pretty clear that he's not going for a wrap up tackle.

red
10-16-2013, 11:02 AM
That photo of the hit on Cobb makes me wonder why he didn't go for the ball and the midsection? I'd think anywhere above the knee and below the neck would be fair game...assuming you can catch the guy. Still, it's pretty clear that he's not going for a wrap up tackle.

the video makes it look like he started diving for cobbs knees way before the ball got to cobb

the knees were the target the whole time IMO

and i don't buy for a second that he was forced to go that low because he can't go for the head

theres like 3 or 3.5 feet of target between the head and knees. he can't hit that big target, but he can make a direct hit on the most vital part of a Wr's body?

Guiness
10-16-2013, 11:08 AM
the video makes it look like he started diving for cobbs knees way before the ball got to cobb

the knees were the target the whole time IMO

and i don't buy for a second that he was forced to go that low because he can't go for the head

theres like 3 or 3.5 feet of target between the head and knees. he can't hit that big target, but he can make a direct hit on the most vital part of a Wr's body?

Have a link to a video? Looked around yesterday but didn't find anything.

hoosier
10-16-2013, 11:35 AM
Here is Cobb's injury:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/green-bay-packers/0ap2000000261463/Cobb-injured-on-15-yard-gain

I don't see this as a cheap shot. Elam certainly went low, but everything is happening so fast. It looks to me like Elam's only goal is to get Cobb on the ground. Cobb had to go up to get the ball and his feet had just come back to ground when Elam hits him, so it's very possible that Elam didn't know exactly where Cobb was going to be when contacted. If Elam aims for waist level and doesn't hit him squarely, Cobb spins off and waltzes in for the TD. My best guess from seeing the video at full speed and slo mo is that Elam is trying to take Cobb's feet out from under him.

HarveyWallbangers
10-16-2013, 11:39 AM
Tyrone Walker was added to the PS.

Patler
10-16-2013, 11:51 AM
Elam basically dove to his hands and knees, leading with his shoulder, to force Cobb to trip over him, There was no attempt at a grab and wrap up type tackle. While he may not have taken Cobb's knees as a specific target, he was bound to hit at knee height or lower just by the position he took for himself.

Personally, I think he aimed at knee height, but didn't know for sure what way Cobb would be facing when he hit him, nor if Cobb would have his feet on the ground or still in the air as Elam got there. Elam dove through the path Cobb would come down, aiming at lower leg height, probably hoping to flip Cobb head over heals and dislodge the ball.

If there is any meaning to the rule protecting defenseless receivers, a hit like this should be penalized. Do I think there should be a rule penalizing this? Only when it is a player targeting a Packer!! :lol:

Patler
10-16-2013, 11:54 AM
Tyrone Walker was added to the PS.

Interesting.

Maxie the Taxi
10-16-2013, 12:17 PM
On the Cobb hit...to me it's just football. Elam threw a block tackle. Unfortunately, Cobb was anticipating Elam, tried to plant, avoid Elam and turn upfield. If he had not planted and kept running on a slant, probably no harm. It's a violent, bang-bang game.

Patler
10-16-2013, 12:28 PM
On the Cobb hit...to me it's just football. Elam threw a block tackle. Unfortunately, Cobb was anticipating Elam, tried to plant, avoid Elam and turn upfield. If he had not planted and kept running on a slant, probably no harm. It's a violent, bang-bang game.

I agree, but the question is what are the rules intended to protect? To me, if the goal is to protect defenseless receivers, it should prevent this type of hit, which carries a high risk of injury, which Cobb was unable to guard against. Do I think they should have rules for it? No, I do not. Nor do I think there should be special rules to protect QBs who run or QBs in the pocket, except for unnecessary roughness as it used to be (blatant hits to the head, etc.) Hitting any player low is part of the game. No body was concerned with hits to QBs until high-profile QBs got hurt.

mraynrand
10-16-2013, 12:36 PM
I agree, but the question is what are the rules intended to protect? To me, if the goal is to protect defenseless receivers, it should prevent this type of hit, which carries a high risk of injury, which Cobb was unable to guard against. Do I think they should have rules for it? No, I do not. Nor do I think there should be special rules to protect QBs who run or QBs in the pocket, except for unnecessary roughness as it used to be (blatant hits to the head, etc.) Hitting any player low is part of the game. No body was concerned with hits to QBs until high-profile QBs got hurt.

It's the result of the QBs getting hurt that's the key: clearly the level of play diminishes, and scoring suffers. Nobody wants to see Pro football turned into soccer no matter how much people claim to enjoy watching 'good defense.' People hate bad offense more than they like good defense.

If hitting takes similar tolls on the playmakers, eventually you'll get more protection for them as well. The league will eventually move to some kind of electronic tackling - a sophisticated "Two hands below the waist" (easy, Harlan) kind of league.

Maxie the Taxi
10-16-2013, 12:38 PM

I agree. Rules sometimes have unintended consequences. Formerly, the DB in the Cobb situation would have hit Cobb high trying to dislodge the ball before Cobb tucks it away. The problem is the refs are calling high hits extremely close. Even a shoulder pad into Cobb's mid-section might draw a penalty. I saw that happen a game or two ago. So what's the option. Take the receiver's feet out from under him. Unfortunately, Cobb had planted his foot. Even a form tackle in that case would probably have taken its toll on Cobb's leg.

Patler
10-16-2013, 12:41 PM
It's the result of the QBs getting hurt that's the key: clearly the level of play diminishes, and scoring suffers. Nobody wants to see Pro football turned into soccer no matter how much people claim to enjoy watching 'good defense.' People hate bad offense more than they like good defense.

If hitting takes similar tolls on the playmakers, eventually you'll get more protection for them as well. The league will eventually move to some kind of electronic tackling - a sophisticated "Two hands below the waist" (easy, Harlan) kind of league.

One of the reporters noted that the league office said the Cobb hit would be another that would be reviewed for potential rule changes next year. Would it have been considered if Boykin was the one injured?

Maxie the Taxi
10-16-2013, 12:43 PM
In my touch football league, it was "two hands above the waist." But that was centuries ago.

pbmax
10-16-2013, 01:44 PM
This is why Goodell's approach is doomed to failure. Its a bad technique to use and teach for tackling. His head is down and he couldn't wrap up unless Cobb simply laid down on the ground.

If the Commish would worry a bit about getting coaches on board instead of issuing press releases, this would go away player by player.

If you have any doubt unsafe techniques are encouraged by coaches, I refer you to the Badger game Saturday versus Northwestern. Spielman did a segment with Chris Borland and another defender on forcing turnovers (Borland is close to tying the NCAA record for forced fumbles I believe).

Borland said his approach, if the ball carrier (Spielman in the demo) was carrying the ball high and tight (the correct position in most cases) his job, as second man on the ball carrier (in this scenario the other defender stood Spielman up) was to hit the ball with the top of his helmet.

This is a relatively recent development in tackling, in terms of being coached as the preferred team approach to bringing down the ball carrier. It started getting noticed in the mid to late 80s (from my memory) when players would talk about how they were supposed to increase the number of turnovers.

mraynrand
10-16-2013, 02:09 PM
as second man on the ball carrier ... was to hit the ball with the top of his helmet.... It started getting noticed in the mid to late 80s (from my memory) when players would talk about how they were supposed to increase the number of turnovers.

It's probably more effective using a gun to get the ball out. But I'm pretty sure this will get you at least a 15 yard unsportsman like penalty.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-60IpP75UXAg/UFubdXKGbFI/AAAAAAAAGWo/2D4zzi94dxQ/s1600/The-Last-Boy-Scout-Billy-Cole-Blanks-gunfire-football.png