PDA

View Full Version : Studs and Duds - Raven Edition

Bossman641
10-13-2013, 04:29 PM
Studs
Lacy
Hawk
Burnett (I'm blaming McMillan for the 4th down bomb

Banjo was a ST stud. He had a few tackles.

Lattimore was studly, but not a stud. He seems to be a pretty sure tackler.

Duds
The OL - why do they always pass block like shit to start the game
WR - catch the damn ball
McMillan
Tramon

pbmax
10-13-2013, 04:37 PM
Bach and Finley had trouble with Suggs but that was to be expected. Rest of O line did decent job of run blocking. Should get Stud AND Dud status on that I think.

Boykin started out as a Dud (or Rodgers did as he kept backfoot heaving back shoulder throws to Boykin) and but redeemed himself with that 3rd Quarter catch and run.

Loved Datone Jones fumble recovery and run for a FG, even if he should have gone out of bounds too.

Hard to knock Shields for holding Torrey Smith down all game, but that was terrible coverage on his TD.

Bossman641
10-13-2013, 04:45 PM
Stud - House although he needs to make that pick
Dud - Kuhn. Fall on the fumble and run the DB over when you only need one yard

packer4life
10-13-2013, 04:48 PM
A 250lb fullback trying to juke a defensive back for an open-field first down is just shameful.

QBME
10-13-2013, 05:12 PM
Stud - Micah Hyde. All over the field making plays.

Dud - Tramontana , whiffing on tackles, penalty, playing timid while everybody else is laying it all out.

red
10-13-2013, 05:13 PM
doing your job and having a decent game shouldn't put you on the "studs list"

so my only studs are

Hawk- imo the best game of his career, looked very aggressive and almost dominate. looked like the player we thought we were getting when we drafted him

Lacy- the last two games he has a combined 219 yards. he has also been the only real bright spot on offense those two games. we finally have a real RB. we need to use him more

money mase crosby- his Fg's have accounted for almost all of our points in the last 2 games and he is the main reason we won both. he did miss one wide today, but all his other kicks this year have been perfect

that is all

KalamazooPackerFan
10-13-2013, 05:23 PM
Lacy and Hawk, definitely. Think you have to give a Stud to Crosby.....without him we're two losses down.

Old School
10-13-2013, 05:31 PM
Hawk was just awesome. Lattimore pulled his weight admirably. Lacy made a heady play sliding down to keep the clock running. House and Burnett are special. Mason's a stud without saying.

T Wiiliams stunk up the place. What happened top this guy. He got paid and flat out quit. And John Kuhn made a mistake that would have been dumb for a rookie. He could have cost us the game. He should go to bed without supper and do grass drills for 2 hours on Tuesday.

Freak Out
10-13-2013, 05:59 PM
A 250lb fullback trying to juke a defensive back for an open-field first down is just shameful.

Kuhn has become like Bush to a point. Keep him on special teams.

red
10-13-2013, 06:01 PM
Kuhn has become like Bush to a point. Keep him on special teams.

ummm, his biggest fuck up of the game came on special teams

run pMc
10-13-2013, 07:12 PM
LMAO

mraynrand
10-13-2013, 07:16 PM

keep him inactive - it's when he's at his best

run pMc
10-13-2013, 07:20 PM
Agree with most.
Studs
Hawk - 3 sacks equals his total for all of last season. Durable as hell. 5 TFL today. Didn't see this coming at all, but with Clay out he really stepped up.
DLine - shut down the Ravens' run game, winning two goal line stands is very impressive.
Lacy - really impressed with his vision, patience and power. Also, the run-and-slide to clinch the win was veteran savvy.
Crosby - missed one, but the last FG was especially clutch to make it a 2 score game

Duds
McMillian - tripped on his own feet, gave up the long throw on 4th and 21. Seriously, it was like Ed Donatell and Freddie Mitchell were in the building with voodoo dolls or something.
Boykin - 6 targets, 1 catch.
Kuhn - fall on the ball! it's simple, and unless your last name is Tretter you won't hurt yourself.
I realize the other team's players get paid too, but I nominate what I'll call our "4 minute defense" for a Dud. They played solid D for 56 minutes (5 sacks, a couple of FF, 10 TFLs) and almost lost it in the last 4.

red
10-13-2013, 07:20 PM
you know what, i got some more studs

the big fat guys up front on defense were fucking awesome today just like they have been all year

they completely shut down yet another really good RB in ray rice (14 carries for 34 yards)

run pMc
10-13-2013, 07:21 PM
What happened to Mike Neal? Did they call his name at all? I don't know that he even made an assist today. Thought Perry showed up to help.

red
10-13-2013, 07:23 PM
What happened to Mike Neal? Did they call his name at all? I don't know that he even made an assist today. Thought Perry showed up to help.

neal looked like a DE that just recently converted to OLB today

pretty shaky looking IMO

KYPack
10-13-2013, 07:54 PM
I've got a mini-stud.

Mike Daniels moves his guy back at the QB and busts his hump every snap he's in.

He probably should be a on 4-3 team, but that kid is a 100%er.

pbmax
10-13-2013, 08:00 PM
Another mini-stud perhaps?

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 18m
One small tidbit from today's game: First-year tight end Brandon Bostick had three special team tackles. Hadn't really played ST until today

Slocum can't teach much but he can apparently teach tackling to a select few.

Harlan Huckleby
10-13-2013, 08:22 PM

here, here! I couldn't believe that play. Kuuuuuuuuuhn has found himself on my shit list for about a year.

Harlan Huckleby
10-13-2013, 08:23 PM
the big fat guys up front on defense were fucking awesome today just like they have been all year

I like the whole defensive line. Not a bum in the bunch.

King Friday
10-13-2013, 09:00 PM
Kuhn should not have fallen on the blocked punt...he should have stayed the hell away from it.

If no Packer player touches the ball, it is in effect a regular punt that just barely went past the LOS. The only reason the Ravens can recover is because we touched it.

Tony Oday
10-13-2013, 09:39 PM
AR on the dud list. Though there were drops he missed a ton of throws, held it too long and has been a main reason for redzone problems.

Pugger
10-13-2013, 11:44 PM
Stud - House although he needs to make that pick
Dud - Kuhn. Fall on the fumble and run the DB over when you only need one yard

Or just don't touch the damn ball and it is ours. :???:

Pugger
10-13-2013, 11:49 PM
AR on the dud list. Though there were drops he missed a ton of throws, held it too long and has been a main reason for redzone problems.

AR had a few bad passes but having guys drop passes left and right and losing JJ and Cobb might have contributed to his 'off' game. I wasn't all that thrilled with the pass pro either at times. The Ravens D is stout but Rodgers still gets hammered too much back there to my liking.

gbgary
10-13-2013, 11:56 PM
Bach and Finley had trouble with Suggs but that was to be expected. Rest of O line did decent job of run blocking. Should get Stud AND Dud status on that I think.

suggs went sackless for the first time in a long time i believe. rodgers was under siege and his accuracy suffered for it.

thought the d was great today for the most part. kept us in the game while the o collected fgs. lacy was very good.

Harlan Huckleby
10-14-2013, 12:06 AM
Stud - Micah Hyde. All over the field making plays.

He did a steady job returning punts. Mike Prior reincarnated - catch the ball, squeeze it tight, run in the general direction of the opponent's endzone.

HarveyWallbangers
10-14-2013, 01:17 AM
I didn't see the game, but I saw a replay of the blocked punt. Was there any mention on the telecast of the extremely obvious hold on Ryan Taylor on that play? He was tackled as he was blocking the punt. It seems to me the Ravens should have gotten a 10 yard penalty and should have had to rekick.

Packers4Glory
10-14-2013, 08:06 AM
I love Kuhn but if the Terminator John Connor is still out there, sign him and let him blow up holes for the stud that is E. Lacy.

QBME
10-14-2013, 08:35 AM
Oops

QBME
10-14-2013, 08:36 AM
He did a steady job returning punts. Mike Prior reincarnated - catch the ball, squeeze it tight, run in the general direction of the opponent's endzone.

Yep - steady. Also 6 solo tackles (second behind Hawk), a TFL and a sack.

mraynrand
10-14-2013, 09:21 AM
I love Kuhn but if the Terminator John Connor is still out there, sign him and let him blow up holes for the stud that is E. Lacy.

*uck you, asshole.

*(he is on a roster, saw him blocking for NYG last Thursday)

ThunderDan
10-14-2013, 09:34 AM
Something I mentioned in the game thread I think needs to be added to the studs list.

Packer tackling on defenseless receivers - Twice the Balt pass catcher had to stretch high to catch a bad Flacco pass. Neither one was completed but both MD Jennings and AJ Hawk tattooed the player right in his chest. They didn't go high around the head or neck area and the didn't go low to blow out a players knee (I am looking at you Elam).

Bossman641
10-14-2013, 09:48 AM
Something I mentioned in the game thread I think needs to be added to the studs list.

Packer tackling on defenseless receivers - Twice the Balt pass catcher had to stretch high to catch a bad Flacco pass. Neither one was completed but both MD Jennings and AJ Hawk tattooed the player right in his chest. They didn't go high around the head or neck area and the didn't go low to blow out a players knee (I am looking at you Elam).

The Hawk hit was textbook on how to blow up a receiver legally. When I saw it happened live I was worried they were going to flag him, but it was picture perfect.

Smidgeon
10-14-2013, 11:05 AM
doing your job and having a decent game shouldn't put you on the "studs list"

so my only studs are

Hawk- imo the best game of his career, looked very aggressive and almost dominate. looked like the player we thought we were getting when we drafted him

Lacy- the last two games he has a combined 219 yards. he has also been the only real bright spot on offense those two games. we finally have a real RB. we need to use him more

money mase crosby- his Fg's have accounted for almost all of our points in the last 2 games and he is the main reason we won both. he did miss one wide today, but all his other kicks this year have been perfect

that is all

The Hawk hit was textbook on how to blow up a receiver legally. When I saw it happened live I was worried they were going to flag him, but it was picture perfect.

I think the biggest hit against Hawk was that he didn't play instinctively. He's been dependable, but not game-breaking. And then there was today. He played fast, instinctively, textbook, etc., and I'm wondering: How much of that was Hawk finally playing loose and how much was the D-Line completely dominating the Raven's line?

Pugger
10-14-2013, 11:31 AM
keep him inactive - it's when he's at his best

The problem with having Kuhn inactive is we'd only have 3 RBs active for a game and we don't want to run into the problem we had in Cincy again. :?

denverYooper
10-14-2013, 11:33 AM
FWIW. When it's definitely a passing down, Kuhn is always back there.

denverYooper
10-14-2013, 11:39 AM
Also, it seems that Morgan Burnett makes the whole defense better.

Harlan Huckleby
10-14-2013, 01:14 PM
FWIW. When it's definitely a passing down, Kuhn is always back there.

Ya, I get that his claim to fame is picking up the blitz. Certainly any 240 pound back ought to be able to do that. But fullbacks are also supposed to be able to catch some flare passes, pick-up 10 yards because the defense gets caught unaware. For whatever reason, Packers aren't comfortable using Kuhn in that role.

Kuhn's other resume highlight is he occasionally hurdles a tackler diving at his legs. Ooooh, ahhh. He was two yards from a first down yesterday, and chose a premature hurdle instead of plowing-over a 190-pound corner back for the first down.

What little ability Kuhn had has declined to the point where he is a liability.

Harlan Huckleby
10-14-2013, 01:27 PM
BTW, Jason Wilde told a funny story on radio. He was sitting near Ted Thompson in the press box, and when Eddie Lacy smartly slid to keep the clock running near end of game, TT slammed his fist down on the table in excitement. He then looked around sheepishly and apologized for his celebration. For TT, such a display of emotion is about the same as an ordinary person dancing naked on the altar during church services.

Maybe this is reading too much into it, but I have to believe that TT was still steamed at Finley for running out of bounds moments earlier. Signs of intelligent life on his team had to be a great relief.

hoosier
10-14-2013, 02:08 PM
BTW, Jason Wilde told a funny story on radio. He was sitting near Ted Thompson in the press box, and when Eddie Lacy smartly slid to keep the clock running near end of game, TT slammed his fist down on the table in excitement. He then looked around sheepishly and apologized for his celebration. For TT, such a display of emotion is about the same as an ordinary person dancing naked on the altar during church services.

Maybe this is reading too much into it, but I have to believe that TT was still steamed at Finley for running out of bounds moments earlier. Signs of intelligent life on his team had to be a great relief.

The only relief in that scene is that Lacy did not tear up his knee sliding. In fact, seeing what team he plays for I would say it is a full blown miracle.

Maxie the Taxi
10-16-2013, 07:45 AM
I agree with everyone else on Micah Hyde. The guy is a player and I think he's locked down the PR job too. Like many of these young guys, the more he plays the better he will get.

Patler
10-16-2013, 08:29 AM
I agree with everyone else on Micah Hyde. The guy is a player and I think he's locked down the PR job too. Like many of these young guys, the more he plays the better he will get.

He looks like a decent tackler. Not that he doesn't get faked out or take bad angles on occasion, but when he gets to the ball carrier he gets him down. He doesn't hesitate to tackle.

As a punt returner he looks to be a guy who catches the ball easily, and gets up field. He doesn't have the speed to run away from the coverage, but with good blocking he gets positive yardage. That's good enough for me, even if he never does go the distance.

Maxie the Taxi
10-16-2013, 08:36 AM
Agreed, Patler. I wonder if there has ever been any statistics that compare sure-handedness vs returns for TD's. You hear about the latter because it's flashy. On the other hand, muffed punts and bad judgement lose games and cost valuable field position. Unless the guy is Devin Hester, give me sure hands and good judgement.

Pugger
10-16-2013, 09:07 AM

Yes, I'm liking what I see in Hyde too.

Fritz
10-16-2013, 12:35 PM

They make him do public relations, too?

Patler
10-16-2013, 12:37 PM
They make him do public relations, too?

Budget cutbacks. Everyone has to pick up extra responsibilities.