PDA

View Full Version : Who will Packers add at wide receiver?

Harlan Huckleby
10-13-2013, 10:50 PM
MM after releasing Ross on 9/23

"We haven't given up on Jeremy. Had some opportunities. He's obviously not with us right now but I have no problem working with him again."

Tony Oday
10-13-2013, 10:55 PM
Trade for Gonzo. Run two WR sets and be a running team.

Harlan Huckleby
10-13-2013, 11:02 PM
pic tweeted by Tyrone Walker tonight

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BWejuZ4CIAA0I1X.jpg
Tyrone Walker ‏@iamyoungrone
Randall Cobb is my dog, pray for my bro to comeback!!

Carolina_Packer
10-13-2013, 11:05 PM
Don't know what it was, could be fools gold. Not saying the guy was going to be special, but there was something about Tyrone Walker and releasing him after last cut down did not seem right, but I know that at the time it was a hard roster to make. Bring the kid back.

Tony Oday
10-13-2013, 11:24 PM
Dave Synikin from theheadcheese.com On this day it was James Jones in the first quarter and Randall Cobb shortly before halftime with knee injuries. No word yet on how bad they are, but early national reports indicate neither will be lost for the season"

gbgary
10-13-2013, 11:38 PM
ross? is he still out there or did minn sign him?

Pugger
10-13-2013, 11:41 PM
Didn't Ross sign with Detroit?

gbgary
10-13-2013, 11:44 PM
just looked it up...det signed him to their practice squad so he's available. (my minn mention was a joke)

Pugger
10-13-2013, 11:50 PM
Call the Gmen and ask about trading for Nicks?

bobblehead
10-14-2013, 12:03 AM
someone needs to bump that thread about Driver playing for the packers ever again.

Patler
10-14-2013, 08:15 AM
I wonder if Charles Johnson is second guessing his decision to sign with Cleveland, or wishes they had waited a week before approaching him?

mraynrand
10-14-2013, 09:24 AM
someone needs to bump that thread about Driver playing for the packers ever again.

Just start a new thread with the clever title "Donald Driver"

gbgary
10-14-2013, 10:42 AM
hopefully no one is needed. kenny britt's on the block...

Smidgeon
10-14-2013, 10:59 AM
I wonder if Charles Johnson is second guessing his decision to sign with Cleveland, or wishes they had waited a week before approaching him?

+1

MadScientist
10-14-2013, 11:21 AM
The 'names' on the trading block are
Gonzo
Nicks
Britt

Britt has attitude problems, but maybe he could be a 'Bad Moon' Rison type. Still I wouldn't offer much for him. If he gets cut, bring him in for a tryout. Nicks would be a good option if he doesn't cost too much. Gonzo is older than dirt and isn't looking to be traded, but a formation of Nelson, Jones (hopefully back soon), Finley, Gonzo, and Lacy has all kinds of run / pass options. Get the defense to commit and go no-huddle all the way to the end zone.

Joemailman
10-14-2013, 11:58 AM
hopefully no one is needed. kenny britt's on the block...

Because he's a moron. No thanks.

pittstang5
10-14-2013, 12:15 PM
I'd like to see a veteran receiver come in. I really don't care who, just somebody that can pick up the offense fast. I feel a veteran is better than some rookie or 2nd year player that is still learning how to run a correct route.

Joemailman
10-14-2013, 12:17 PM
I'd be okay with Tyrone Walker. He has limited upside, but he knows the offense, runs good routes, and has good hands.

mraynrand
10-14-2013, 12:46 PM
BRING BLACK TYRONE BIGGUNS!

http://packerrats.com/image.php?u=81&dateline=2010

missing since 1-25-2010

hoosier
10-14-2013, 01:06 PM
Because he's a moron. No thanks.

Maybe, but at some point I would like to see the Packers experiment with a moron to see if they can make him evolve the way the Patriots have in the past. Give Tenn a conditional 6 or 7 pick for Britt, let him emulate Randy Moss for a year and then let him become a free agent when his contract expires.

Tony Oday
10-14-2013, 01:16 PM
TACO WALLACE!! ;)

Bossman641
10-14-2013, 01:44 PM
Assuming Jones is ok we need a slot receiver. Walker

run pMc
10-14-2013, 02:07 PM
I'm hoping Boykin takes advantage of the extra snaps this week to get on the same page as Rodgers.
If Jones and Cobb are out this week they only have 2 WR's on the roster, so either Jones gets healthy, they get creative, or someone gets signed.
I hope they don't need to bring someone in; Do they roll with Nelson, Boykin and Finley, and just run Lacy? Run more 2TE sets with Finley and Quarless? Hope Wheeden flips the ball to Sam Shields for a TD?

If they do need to bring someone in, I'd vote for Walker. Is Myles White any good? My guess is Nicks is either hurt or the asking price is high. When he's healthy, he's a good player though. Britt is the WR version of Pacman Jones; that guy's been arrested in several states.

denverYooper
10-14-2013, 03:40 PM
FYI. Lindsay Jones is based in Denver.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 6m

#Busted RT @bylindsayhjones: Asked Tavarres King if he was going to Green Bay. "How do you know that?" Then he ducked into the bathroom

Patler
10-14-2013, 03:49 PM
Per Wikipedia:

October 14th, 2013 he was signed off the Denver Broncos practice squad by the Green Bay Packers

pittstang5
10-14-2013, 03:51 PM
Per Wikipedia:

Damn, you guys are fast. Towards the bottom of article, it talks about King. Anybody got anything on this guy?

http://jerseyal.com/GBP/2013/10/14/packers-news-injury-updates-on-perry-jones-and-cobb/

denverYooper
10-14-2013, 03:59 PM
Damn, you guys are fast. Towards the bottom of article, it talks about King. Anybody got anything on this guy?

http://jerseyal.com/GBP/2013/10/14/packers-news-injury-updates-on-perry-jones-and-cobb/

He's supposed to be a vertical threat. He almost made a stacked Broncos roster.

denverYooper
10-14-2013, 04:10 PM
Mike Klis of the Denver Post has the Broncos trying to keep him.

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 7m

As of now WR Tavarres King is still a Bronco. Packers want him on 53 but Broncos trying to keep him. May not know til tomorrow.

Joemailman
10-14-2013, 04:13 PM
http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2013/10/14/4838576/report-packers-attempting-to-sign-wr-tavarres-king

King is a 6-0, 191 pound rookie receiver out of the University of Georgia. He lead the Bulldogs in receiving yards and touchdown receptions his senior year on a team that took the National Champions to overtime in the SEC Championship game. At the NFL combine, King ran a 4.47 forty and showcased a 36.5 inch vertical leap.

The Broncos selected King in the 5th round of this year's draft, but waived him in their final cut down to stash him on the practice squad. That's not necessarily an indictment of King's abilities, though, as Denver is flush with quality receivers.

However, the Broncos are making an 11th hour push to retain King.

Tony Oday
10-14-2013, 04:31 PM
Come win a Super Bowl with us or live another Manning Meltdown ;)

Carolina_Packer
10-14-2013, 04:37 PM
If they are not prepared to IR either Jones or Cobb, how do you think they will make a roster spot for whoever they bring in, whether King or White off of the practice squad?

Also, if the rumors are true, it must indicate how much more upside King has than to take the "easy" route of re-signing Tyrone Walker, especially if the Broncos are pushing to keep him.

King Friday
The kid is not going to stay in Denver...this isn't a choice of staying with a playoff team or going to a pretender at the end of the year. These are two marquee NFL teams with elite NFL QBs...one has no need for the guy right now, the other has a lot of need. Unless Denver wants to throw stupid money at the kid (why would they?) he'll be in Green Bay if they put in an offer for him.

You don't turn down a chance to get on the field with an elite NFL QB...and that is exactly what this kid might get.

Patler
Several sites are reporting that Reggie Dunn was resigned to the PS today.

Carolina_Packer
10-14-2013, 04:44 PM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/reggie-dunn?id=2541201 Wow, 4.2...if he has more sure hands, he could replace what Ross was. He set a record for Kick 6's in 2012

pbmax
10-14-2013, 04:50 PM
nm

Patler
10-14-2013, 05:00 PM
The kid is not going to stay in Denver...this isn't a choice of staying with a playoff team or going to a pretender at the end of the year. These are two marquee NFL teams with elite NFL QBs...one has no need for the guy right now, the other has a lot of need. Unless Denver wants to throw stupid money at the kid (why would they?) he'll be in Green Bay if they put in an offer for him.

You don't turn down a chance to get on the field with an elite NFL QB...and that is exactly what this kid might get.

With the Packers already saying that Cobb will miss multiple weeks, leaving the Packers with only 3 WRs even if Jones can play, this would seem to be a golden opportunity for a WR. He should be looking to not just play here and there, but to knock Boykin down a notch on the depth chart. If he is a quick study, he has the chance to be #3 on a team that uses three all the time, and maybe even be #2 if Jones is out for a while.

denverYooper
10-14-2013, 05:08 PM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 5m

Just got word from a source that #Packers WR Randall Cobb will miss 6-8 weeks with a fractured fibula. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/227733081.html …

Freak Out
10-14-2013, 05:16 PM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 5m

Just got word from a source that #Packers WR Randall Cobb will miss 6-8 weeks with a fractured fibula. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/227733081.html …

Fuck. Get well soon RC.

Patler
10-14-2013, 05:17 PM
Good candidate for IR-return.

denverYooper
10-14-2013, 05:23 PM
On our drivetime show, they discussed this briefly. They mentioned that King was seen as the probable replacement for Decker, who will likely leave in FA next year. They kicked around the idea that the Broncos would have to cut someone, likely Andre Caldwell, to sign King to the 53, but that seems unlikely right now.

The Broncos also have Von Miller back this week, so they have at least 1 roster move to make. They'd have to make 2 if they promote King.

denverYooper
10-14-2013, 05:24 PM

That's exactly what it sounds like.

Maxie the Taxi
10-14-2013, 05:58 PM
I want to make another pitch for Jordan Shipley. The guy is available and a natural slot receiver. He's a veteran who's been a victim of circumstances. I think he could contribute immediately.

From Rotoworld:

Jaguars.com believes Jordan Shipley will likely be the team's slot receiver this season.
Shipley was signed off the street prior to Week 12 last season, and he immediately contributed by catching 23 passes for 244 yards and one touchdown in six games with Chad Henne tossing him the ball. He'll have to earn it, but he'll be flanked by Justin Blackmon and Cecil Shorts.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/0ap2000000116334/QB-Henne-to-WR-Shipley-36-yd-pass

pittstang5
10-14-2013, 06:36 PM

If they signed the guy from Denver, someone has got to go....Cobb to IR-return makes the most sense.

pittstang5
10-14-2013, 06:41 PM
Per Wikipedia:

Was curious and checked again "October 14th, 2013 he was signed off the Denver Broncos practice squad by the Green Bay Packers." is not on Wikipedia anymore.

Bretsky
10-14-2013, 06:43 PM
DEAR TED

CLOSE THE DEAL on the Denver guy

KYPack
10-14-2013, 07:28 PM
I want to make another pitch for Jordan Shipley. The guy is available and a natural slot receiver. He's a veteran who's been a victim of circumstances. I think he could contribute immediately.

From Rotoworld:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/0ap2000000116334/QB-Henne-to-WR-Shipley-36-yd-pass

He's a good hand, Maxie.

Excellent hands, quick, a natural slot receiver.

Kind of a white Cobb.

He also tore the hell out his knee two years ago, he may have recovered but he's minus a step or so.

He's the kind of guy that would be a quick study.

We've got to get somebody & he is somebody.

Maxie the Taxi
10-14-2013, 08:08 PM
He's a good hand, Maxie.

Excellent hands, quick, a natural slot receiver.

Kind of a white Cobb.

He also tore the hell out his knee two years ago, he may have recovered but he's minus a step or so.

He's the kind of guy that would be a quick study.

We've got to get somebody & he is somebody.

I see him as kind of a Wes Welker type guy at this stage. He probably wouldn't be a "to the house on every play" guy like Cobb, but he would certainly complement a renewed running game and/or a more heavily involved Finley. He'd keep the sticks moving which is what the team needs now. He'd be good for a lot of receptions. Plus, he's smart. He'd probably be thrilled to be a Packer.

Like everyone else, I'd like to sign a dynamic young guy, but then you introduce a slow learning curve and more chance of big mistakes. We've seen that early this season with the young Giants' and Patriots' receivers .

Bretsky
10-14-2013, 08:37 PM
I see him as kind of a Wes Welker type guy at this stage. He probably wouldn't be a "to the house on every play" guy like Cobb, but he would certainly complement a renewed running game and/or a more heavily involved Finley. He'd keep the sticks moving which is what the team needs now. He'd be good for a lot of receptions. Plus, he's smart. He'd probably be thrilled to be a Packer.

Like everyone else, I'd like to sign a dynamic young guy, but then you introduce a slow learning curve and more chance of big mistakes. We've seen that early this season with the young Giants' and Patriots' receivers .

Call me the negative Nanny on this one.....but he didn't have enough speed to lose a step and odds are that is the reason he's not on a roster

KYPack
10-14-2013, 09:31 PM
Don't worry B-man.

Some Bronco web sites are reporting that Tavarres King has cleaned out his locker.

he'd be crazy to want to keep a PS spot in Denver.

King Friday
10-14-2013, 09:38 PM
Denver has a good eye for talent at receiver...if they like King, then I'm guessing he's a capable hand. We don't need a stud...just someone who can catch a ball.

I'd rather have a young guy, because the chances of us losing a veteran WR in the next couple years is a little too high for my taste...and the depth seems to be getting a little thin there.

cheesner
10-14-2013, 11:04 PM
Don't worry B-man.

Some Bronco web sites are reporting that Tavarres King has cleaned out his locker.

Could be that Denver is getting first dibs at keeping him. I would just think that it would be a done deal and published by now.

swede
10-14-2013, 11:14 PM
Could be that Denver is getting first dibs at keeping him. I would just think that it would be a done deal and published by now.

We can claim the player, but he doesn't have to come if he wants to stay. And he doesn't have to stay if he wants to leave for Green Bay or any other team wants to put him on an NFL roster. All Denver has for "dibs" is their present relationship with the player and promises for the future, and that is not insignificant if the player likes his situation. The agent won't commit while there is still leverage to be used for another 10,000 bucks from us or a real roster spot from them.

3irty1
10-14-2013, 11:15 PM
Brett Swain is available. He primarily played as a slot guy on our team when he saw the field.

mraynrand
10-14-2013, 11:39 PM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 5m

just keep that worthless as shit KC doctor away from him

swede
10-14-2013, 11:45 PM
just keep that worthless as shit KC doctor away from him

Was that the guy that did McCarren's finger?

mraynrand
10-14-2013, 11:49 PM
Was that the guy that did McCarren's finger?

Sherrod's leg

Teamcheez1
10-15-2013, 07:22 AM
From ESPN:

"The Broncos are expected to make a roster move this week with the Packers having shown interest in signing rookie wide receiver Tavarres King off Denver's practice squad. King, who can say no to a potential roster spot elsewhere if he wishes, is now expected to be signed to the Broncos’ 53-man roster. King, a part of this year's draft class, was among the final cuts after training camp."

KYPack
10-15-2013, 09:19 AM
From ESPN:

"The Broncos are expected to make a roster move this week with the Packers having shown interest in signing rookie wide receiver Tavarres King off Denver's practice squad. King, who can say no to a potential roster spot elsewhere if he wishes, is now expected to be signed to the Broncos’ 53-man roster. King, a part of this year's draft class, was among the final cuts after training camp."

Because it was on Wiki, I think GB made the offer. Sounds like Denver is countering to King.

The Ponies will have to cut two players if they keep King with Von Miller coming back.

I'd think Andre Caldwell would be the odd WR out.

denverYooper
10-15-2013, 09:22 AM
Because it was on Wiki, I think GB made the offer. Sounds like Denver is countering to King.

The Ponies will have to cut two players if they keep King with Von Miller coming back.

I'd think Andre Caldwell would be the odd WR out.

Big Al (Alfred Williams) figures that cutting Caldwell for King would be a questionable move for the Broncos because they'd be messing with an offense that's been working.

In that case, I wonder if the Packers would just pick up Caldwell? He's been solid enough for the Broncos when they call his number.

pittstang5
10-15-2013, 02:22 PM
What's the scuttlebutt on King? We getting him or not?

denverYooper
10-15-2013, 02:37 PM
Looks like Jake Stoneburner has been called up:

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2013/10/15/4841636/packers-promote-jake-stoneburner-to-active-roster

red
10-15-2013, 02:47 PM
we have enough tight ends on the roster that don't do anything

now we have another

we're gonna be the first team in NFL history to roll out the 5 TE set

Teamcheez1
10-15-2013, 02:49 PM
Why bother with Stoneburner except for special teams? The guy showed very little during preseason, but did make one nice TD catch.

denverYooper
10-15-2013, 02:51 PM
we have enough tight ends on the roster that don't do anything

now we have another

we're gonna be the first team in NFL history to roll out the 5 TE set

That would be awesome.

Bossman641
10-15-2013, 03:00 PM
Stoneburner? Fuck

pbmax
10-15-2013, 03:01 PM

No news seems to be bad news on this front. Everyone seems convinced he is staying in Denver.

Bossman641
10-15-2013, 03:08 PM
King was added to Denver's active roster

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24315207/broncos-promote-tavarres-king-53-man-roster-waive

KYPack
10-15-2013, 03:18 PM
King was added to Denver's active roster

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24315207/broncos-promote-tavarres-king-53-man-roster-waive

Denver waived a reserve LB.

Von Miller gets a one week hall pass coming back from suspension. Next week they will probably waive a WR.

I don't know if TT would sign Andre Caldwell if waived or not.

That kind of stuff is against his religion, it seems.

Brandon494
10-15-2013, 03:35 PM
Has to be for special teams, were they not just trying him out at LB last week? I guess this also might be good news for Jones returning this week.

pittstang5
10-15-2013, 03:52 PM
Has to be for special teams, were they not just trying him out at LB last week? I guess this also might be good news for Jones returning this week.

Still, even if Jones plays, is he going to be 100%, plus you have to worry about him re-injuring it. If they are not going to sign a WR, I guess Finley will play more WR and Bostick and Quarless could see more too.

I will never understand this organization, I don't know why I try.

Brandon494
10-15-2013, 04:12 PM
Still, even if Jones plays, is he going to be 100%, plus you have to worry about him re-injuring it. If they are not going to sign a WR, I guess Finley will play more WR and Bostick and Quarless could see more too.

I'm with you there.

Tony Oday
10-15-2013, 04:13 PM
Just run Jumbo all day.

Cheesehead Craig
10-15-2013, 04:16 PM
Just run Jumbo all day.

Bring back the U-71!

KYPack
10-15-2013, 04:33 PM
OK, this make more sense.

Myles White has also been added to the roster.

Rotten Johnny Van Rotten to IR.

At least we added a WR.

denverYooper
10-15-2013, 04:35 PM
Just run Jumbo all day.

If one of Bostick, Stoneburner, or Quarless can show some reliability in the passing game, they could run some interesting no huddle w/3 TE, Lacy, and Jordy. I don't know if it would be effective, but it could be fun to watch.

Tony Oday
10-15-2013, 04:39 PM
F THAT!!! Jordy needs to sit on the bench...good lord we cant lose another one!!! 5 linemen, 1 QB, 1 HB, 1FB and 3 TE...four yards and a cloud of dust.

Joemailman
10-15-2013, 04:46 PM
OK, this make more sense.

Myles White has also been added to the roster.

Rotten Johnny Van Rotten to IR.

At least we added a WR.

So who's the backup Center? Lane Taylor?

Brandon494
10-15-2013, 04:47 PM
@TomSilverstein Here's why the Stoneburner move was made: TE Jermichael Finley is going to be playing a lot of WR with Cobb gone. #Packers

Brandon494
10-15-2013, 04:54 PM
Don't know much about White but from what I've read he will add speed to the unit, ran a 4.42 40 yard dash.

pittstang5
10-15-2013, 04:58 PM
So who's the backup Center? Lane Taylor?

I think Lang can do it.....don't quote me. Van Rotten was hurt, Tretter is hopefully coming back....makes sense. Tretter will replace Taylor - maybe.

Who the hell knows at this point. They'll probably have Jolly as the back up center and sign a FB to play OLB to replace Mathews and Perry in the interim.

Joemailman
10-15-2013, 05:30 PM
Packers signed LB Victor Aiyewa to the practice squad. Yes, that Victor Aiyewa.

pbmax
10-15-2013, 05:51 PM

I have had my eye on him for awhile, was thinking of starting his official thread just last week.

Lang, Sitton and the Bank have all been working at Center according to M3.

cheesner
10-15-2013, 05:58 PM
He is only 219 lbs. Packers must be looking at him as a Safety. PFW has him at 4.94 in the 40, so I am not sure how that will work. Maybe he put on some lbs and he will be a LB.

red
10-15-2013, 06:12 PM

this reminds me of a few years ago when we kept losing Rb's. every time we'd lose one, TT would sign a new 3rd string LB or DT.

then when we finally lost a LB he signed a RB

it made my head want to pop

Joemailman
10-15-2013, 06:17 PM
He is only 219 lbs. Packers must be looking at him as a Safety. PFW has him at 4.94 in the 40, so I am not sure how that will work. Maybe he put on some lbs and he will be a LB.

Packers have him listed at 237. He was 231 coming out of college. He spent some time in Tampa Bay where it looks like he was listed at 219. He's only 6-1, so probably an ILB.

green_bowl_packer
10-15-2013, 06:20 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/629490-2011-nfl-draft-washington-huskies-victor-aiyewa-is-versatile-and-smart

2011 NFL Draft: Victor Aiyewa of Washington Huskies Is Versatile and Smart

Many athletes grow up with dreams of playing in the NFL, but few have the opportunity. Washington Huskies linebacker/safety/special teams player Victor Aiyewa has the chance to get drafted this year, and this is the story about his future plans.

Aiyewa earned honorable mention All-Pac-10 and was named to the Pac-10's All-Academic second team after playing important roles in each of his four college years.

He finished his senior year regular season ranked No. 1 in the Pac-10 and 11th (tied) in the nation with 1.5 tackles for loss per game and No. 4 in Huskies single-season history. He also had 83 total tackles including 4.5 sacks.

This happened in his first year playing linebacker.

Victor Aiyewa is a remarkable young man who works hard both on the football field and in the classroom, and he represents UW very well. He expects to do well on UW's pro day on March 30 and get drafted by the NFL.

But his mother, Juliana Ogunfuye, was the one convinced by then-head coach Tyrone Willingham that UW had a great football tradition and focus on academics.

“I was sold on the whole idea of what Coach Willingham was trying to do with the team, and with the incoming players that I got to know a little bit,” Aiyewa said. “I had to listen to my mother and she had all types of reasons for me to be at UW and it was a consensus among the family.”

The thing that Aiyewa liked best about UW was the academics because the administration strives to make sure student-athletes take it seriously.

“I was able to excel in that part,” he said. “The way the administrators made us focus on academics was key to my success both on and other the field.”

Aiyewa majored in sociology and minored in pre-pharmacy. He plans to pursue a career as a pharmacist after his football career ends.

His GPA is 3.3, which is excellent considering the difficult minor. He will graduate in June 2011 and finish his minor in June 2012.

As a true freshman, Aiyewa played in all 13 games on special teams. He played safety his sophomore and junior years but was hampered by injuries.

The team needed help at linebacker his senior year, so he changed positions and started all but the Arizona game and did extremely well.

Aiyewa’s experience on special teams, safety and linebacker makes him a valuable football athlete, especially considering how fast he learned a new position, picked up schemes and did anything else the coaches asked of him.

He is a playmaker and the tackle-for-loss performance shows this.

“I am able to play fast and diagnose a play and use my athleticism to get through tight spaces to make the play,” Aiyewa explained.

Aiyewa has been told by his agent that he could go in a late round or be a free agent.

“But I’m hoping that performing well on pro day and my films will move me up to the middle rounds,” he said. “I’m the type of guy who is able to do a lot of different things for a team, so I’m looking for a team that will see my potential and draft me accordingly.”

It has always been Aiyewa’s dream to make it to the NFL. He had a breakout senior season and has the smarts and multiple-position experience to make it to the next level.

Aiyewa credits defensive coach Nick Holt and head coach Steve Sarkisian with creating a new mentality and culture that has prepared him for the NFL to compete with the best football players in the world.

“When you look at Troy Polamalu and Clay Matthews, who played under Coach Holt [at USC] and you see them play it is the same type of thing; the fire, determination to make the play, intensity and ongoing motor that comes from the type of coaching brought to UW [from USC],” explained Aiyewa. “I’m prepared to be a fierce competitor.”

Aiyewa has held his own in practice against a very good quarterback in Jake Locker for the past three years.

“We had this thing going on since freshman year to see who was going to be the better player,” said Aiyewa.

“Jake was on a different level compared to other quarterbacks so it helped prepare me for other teams. Coach Holt made practice like a game experience with referees.”

Aiyewa is getting ready for pro day on March 30 with combine-like workouts.

“I just want to show these NFL teams that I am in the linebacker body type now but I’m still able to play safety,” he said.

He is working on his strength, speed and weight now and will be setting goals soon based on other linebackers. Aiyewa is also working on a highlight video that will be available at the end of March.

“I can play any defensive scheme,” said Aiyewa.

“I have the ability to play all positions including inside and outside linebacker. I honestly believe that I also have the ability to play stand-up backer. I may be undersized but I am faster and quicker.”

Aiyewa is willing to play other positions in the NFL, including special teams, safety, cornerback or running back.

“My academic accomplishments show teams that I have the common sense and ability to grasp certain types of schemes and other things they want me to learn,” Aiyewa said.

“I was academically successful because of the extra hours and efficient effort put into my studies. The same ideology carries over into learning schemes and applying it on the field.”

Aiyewa modeled his safety play after the late Sean Taylor and Bob Sanders, both hard hitters. He studied linebackers Ray Lewis for his leadership and Patrick Willis to play fast and behind the line of scrimmage. Mason Foster is another great UW linebacker (All-Pac-10 first team) who is a playmaker with a competitive edge and may get drafted in the second round. Aiyewa was happy to play and learn with him.

“My whole game is based on safety/linebacker playmaker and it comes from the different types of players that I have studied over time,” Aiyewa said.

Victor Aiyewa’s intelligence, hard work, experience, athletic skills, values and versatility make him an excellent candidate for the NFL. With a good pro day he should have the opportunity to get drafted and realize his dream of playing with the best football players in the world.

Maxie the Taxi
10-15-2013, 07:14 PM
If one of Bostick, Stoneburner, or Quarless can show some reliability in the passing game, they could run some interesting no huddle w/3 TE, Lacy, and Jordy. I don't know if it would be effective, but it could be fun to watch.

It all hinges on Stubby and Arod being willing to control their instinct to chuck it deep every 4th play. We don't have the horses for that without Cobb and Jones. Arod may have to impersonate Manning and Brady for a time. If we can find a gem in a haystack, fine. Otherwise, we'll be OK with the guys we got.

Adversity is good if it forces you to think out of the box and change your patterns and routines.

Bretsky
10-15-2013, 08:15 PM
Don't worry B-man.

Just getting home; my prediction is we won't close the deal.
Now I'll go read on in this thread to see if I am right.

Bretsky
10-15-2013, 08:17 PM
Looks like Jake Stoneburner has been called up:

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2013/10/15/4841636/packers-promote-jake-stoneburner-to-active-roster

Good; another slow TE to add to the mix

Bretsky
10-15-2013, 08:18 PM
No news seems to be bad news on this front. Everyone seems convinced he is staying in Denver.

No surprise

Joemailman
10-15-2013, 08:34 PM
King was promoted to Denver's 53 man roster. Otherwise, he's probably be a Packer.

Maxie the Taxi
10-15-2013, 09:03 PM
Call me the negative Nanny on this one.....but he didn't have enough speed to lose a step and odds are that is the reason he's not on a roster

Apparently, the Patriots feel he's got enough speed...or at least they're willing to find out...

The Patriots worked out free agent WRs Jordan Shipley, LaQuan Williams and Devon Wylie on Tuesday.
The Pats also worked out TE Brandon Barden. It's possible the Patriots are looking to make a move with Danny Amendola's (concussion) status up in the air, but they may also be just updating their emergency list.

from: Rotoworld http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football-player-news?r=1

Also, Jake Stoneburner ain't all that slow. I just read he ran a 4.53 40/yd. and has some ability to stretch the field. Unfortunately, I can't remember where I read it.

pbmax
10-15-2013, 10:00 PM
Stoneburner subbed for the Buckeyes as a WR at times during his career. He is far more WR than TE at this point. But sounds like Finley will be moving out to the slot.

mraynrand
10-15-2013, 10:50 PM

Win win for King: He's on the 53 man roster and he has a clean locker.

Packers4Glory
10-16-2013, 08:17 AM
so confused as to why they hate Walker. he looked like a player to me.

Patler
10-16-2013, 08:23 AM
I wonder which receiver they would have signed if Johnson had still been on the PS.

Maxie the Taxi
10-16-2013, 08:43 AM

The Packers are definitely biased toward receivers who can stretch the field and get downfield in a hurry. The following is from JS Online:

Desperate for wide receiver help, Thompson bypassed veteran free agents such as Devery Henderson, Laurent Robinson and Steve Breaston in favor of two practice squad members who may be pressed into service right away.

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-give-myles-white-jake-stoneburner-a-shot-b99121120z1-227938301.html#ixzz2htNHTaM3
Follow us: @NewsHub on Twitter

These guys are all the same type.

I read somewhere else that Walker is considered a slower, possession-type receiver. Works for me but apparently not for TT.

Pugger
10-16-2013, 08:51 AM

No, from what I heard the donkeys signed him to their 53.

Pugger
10-16-2013, 08:52 AM
Denver waived a reserve LB.

Von Miller gets a one week hall pass coming back from suspension. Next week they will probably waive a WR.

I don't know if TT would sign Andre Caldwell if waived or not.

That kind of stuff is against his religion, it seems.

TT might if we can get him without yielding draft picks...

gbgary
10-16-2013, 09:31 AM

why do you say that victor aiyewa? what's he famous/infamous for?

run pMc
10-16-2013, 09:36 AM

Word was he's too small/slow for their liking. If Walker is so good, why isn't he on the PS now?
Makes sense that they'd promote 2 of their own from PS -- they are familiar enough with things to play snaps this week. Also, it would look pretty bad to bring someone in off the street over your own PS guys.
Can White play? I know almost nothing about him, other than he took advantage of injuries to Johnson and Dorsey and played a lot in preseason (and presumably well enough to get on the PS).
Stoneburner played both WR and TE at OSU, which is not exactly a DivIII school. He's more of the oversized WR mold at this point, but I could see him playing ST's and maybe a snap or two. I'd expect Quarless, Taylor and Bostick to see the field more.

Gotta think TT is going to draft a WR or two next year.

run pMc
10-16-2013, 09:51 AM
why do you say that victor aiyewa? what's he famous/infamous for?

No idea.

From http://www.profootballweekly.com/prospects/player/victor-aiyewa-41/

Height: 6-0 7/8
Weight: 231
Speed: 4.94
Arm: 32
Hand: 9

With Perry out at least a couple of weeks, they need help at OLB. This guy supposedly was pretty instinctive at UWashington and had a lot of TFL. I think they'll take Palmer or Mulumba off some of the ST's and put this guy there -- he doesn't seem to have many qualms about running down the field into people at full speed.

Youtube highlights? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqPSHVL7A8M

Pro Day (03/30/11)
Height: 6007 Weight: 231
40 Yrd Dash: 4.92 20 Yrd Dash: 2.83 10 Yrd Dash: 1.71
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 30
Vertical Jump: 30 Broad Jump: 09'04"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.62 3-Cone Drill: 7.27

Nate Palmer's numbers for comparison:
Pro Day Dates: 03/22/13, 03/05/13@Northwestern
Height: 6021 Weight: 248
40 Yrd Dash: 4.70 20 Yrd Dash: 2.71 10 Yrd Dash: 1.58
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 20
Vertical Jump: 35 1/2 Broad Jump: 10'05"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.37 3-Cone Drill: 6.98

Harlan Huckleby
10-16-2013, 10:12 AM
If Walker is so good, why isn't he on the PS now?
Not the PS, a PS. He got dropped from Seattle's PS, I believe. He must not have the speed to get open against a starting secondary.

Maxie the Taxi
10-16-2013, 10:16 AM
The Victor Aiyewa video shows the guy is very quick with great vision and anticipation. Plus, his willingness to collide proves he's not soft.:-D

Maxie the Taxi
10-16-2013, 11:49 AM
I read somewhere else that Walker is considered a slower, possession-type receiver. Works for me but apparently not for TT.

:oops:

Way to go TT!

Brandon494
10-16-2013, 11:54 AM
‏@TomSilverstein

#Packers have signed WR Tyrone Walker to the practice squad. Walker was a training camp surprise this summer.

run pMc
10-16-2013, 01:26 PM
Interesting about Walker.

Sherrod is off the PUP and practicing, per JSO:http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/packers.html

"Sherrod jumped right into pass rush drills with the other linemen, but it's not known how much work he will do in team drills. The practice was not conducted in pads. His first try at that will be Thursday.

Sherrod was the only member of the PUP group to practice today.

S Sean Richardson, DL Jerel Worthy and OL J.C. Tretter all remained sidelined. Their three-week practice window opens whenever they begin practicing, but they have five weeks total before a decision must be made on their status.

To fill an open spot on the practice squad, the Packers signed WR Tyrone Walker. The leading receiver in the preseason, Walker had been on Seattle's practice squad for a short while, but they released him and he was a free agent."

Patler
10-16-2013, 01:42 PM
Interesting about Walker.

Sherrod is off the PUP and practicing, per JSO:http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/packers.html

"Sherrod jumped right into pass rush drills with the other linemen, but it's not known how much work he will do in team drills. The practice was not conducted in pads. His first try at that will be Thursday.

Sherrod was the only member of the PUP group to practice today.

S Sean Richardson, DL Jerel Worthy and OL J.C. Tretter all remained sidelined. Their three-week practice window opens whenever they begin practicing, but they have five weeks total before a decision must be made on their status.

To fill an open spot on the practice squad, the Packers signed WR Tyrone Walker. The leading receiver in the preseason, Walker had been on Seattle's practice squad for a short while, but they released him and he was a free agent."

I expected Tretter to be ready to go. It's been 5 months for what didn't seem to be a significant injury.

The countdown for a decision on Sherrod begins, 21 days max.

pbmax
10-16-2013, 01:49 PM

YES!

I smell a Bruce Wilkerson Award in this young man's future.

mraynrand
10-16-2013, 02:04 PM

Sherrod, I just want to say good luck, we're all counting on you.

http://blog.itsmartdesk.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/IT-SmartDesk-Good-Luck.jpg

denverYooper
10-16-2013, 02:38 PM

http://blog.itsmartdesk.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/IT-SmartDesk-Good-Luck.jpg

Joemailman
10-16-2013, 05:47 PM

Looks like a picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines.

pbmax
10-16-2013, 06:08 PM
I expected Tretter to be ready to go. It's been 5 months for what didn't seem to be a significant injury.

Just saw this: http://www.packersnews.com/article/20131012/PKR0101/131013001/Sunday-notes-Sherrod-aids-Tretter-s-recovery?odyssey=obinsite

Apparently more serious than it was reported/noted:

For the better part of four months, Green Bay Packers rookie offensive lineman J.C. Tretter was confined to crutches after breaking his ankle on the first day of organized team activities.

Call it 3.5 months, that's 14 weeks on crutches. The last time I knew someone on crutches for that long it was an ACL tear in High School in the Dark Ages. Leeches did marvelous work but they were slow.

Cheesehead Craig
10-16-2013, 09:26 PM
Just saw this: http://www.packersnews.com/article/20131012/PKR0101/131013001/Sunday-notes-Sherrod-aids-Tretter-s-recovery?odyssey=obinsite

Call it 3.5 months, that's 14 weeks on crutches. The last time I knew someone on crutches for that long it was an ACL tear in High School in the Dark Ages. Leeches did marvelous work but they were slow.

He obviously has a demon that needs to be exorcised. Quick, get some of the neverending holy water that springs from Lombardi's tomb!

Harlan Huckleby
10-17-2013, 12:32 AM
/

pittstang5
10-17-2013, 06:34 AM

I too thought Tretter would be back. I think he'll be put on IR.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/228076201.html

The other player on PUP, rookie J.C. Tretter, still isn't ready to practice. He suffered torn ligaments in his ankle during OTAs and here was never a guarantee he would play this year.

Tony Oday
10-17-2013, 07:12 AM
So who are the WR on the active roster? Jones, Jordy, Boykin and ?

Patler
10-17-2013, 07:34 AM
So who are the WR on the active roster? Jones, Jordy, Boykin and ?

Myles White.

Iron Mike
10-17-2013, 07:56 AM
Also, Jake Stoneburner ain't all that slow. I just read he ran a 4.53 40/yd. and has some ability to stretch the field. Unfortunately, I can't remember where I read it.

Bedrock Daily News???

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/3135/passer2sj2.jpg

hoosier
10-17-2013, 08:30 AM
If Sherrod can pass the rest of his tests, where does he go? Does he replace Newhouse as first guy off the bench? Or does he start in place of Barclay?

pbmax
10-17-2013, 09:16 AM
If Sherrod can pass the rest of his tests, where does he go? Does he replace Newhouse as first guy off the bench? Or does he start in place of Barclay?

I think he backs up both tackles (I hope they don't send him to Guard again) until something happens to open a position a crack. Barclay would seem to be the guy who will make himself vulnerable first, but Bach has not been lock down solid at LT either.

I think we are a few weeks away though, Sherrod has to hit in pads, recover and be able to practice the next day before he is going to be active.

hoosier
10-17-2013, 11:21 AM
That sounds about right. I expect they've learned their lesson about messing with him at guard. My hope is they don't decide to start a three-way rotation at tackle.

red
10-17-2013, 11:54 AM
That sounds about right. I expect they've learned their lesson about messing with him at guard. My hope is they don't decide to start a three-way rotation at tackle.

good god no, no rotations please

out tackles suck at pass blocking, but rotating guys around i don't think is gonna fix it

plus we don't even know if sherrod CAN pass block because we've hardly ever seen him play

Harlan Huckleby
10-17-2013, 03:07 PM

Sherrod takes Lane Taylor's place on the roster and inactive list. Hopefully he won't be needed at all, but he only need be better than the practice squad fodder around the league to justify his roster spot.

You can't even call him rusty, because he never played enough to establish a standard to get rusty.

Upnorth
10-17-2013, 03:53 PM
Would love for sherry to come in and win the lt spot, but it ain't going to happen. Maybe next year but he has less game experience than our current tackles.

Packers4Glory
10-17-2013, 04:44 PM
Taylor should never see the field except ST.

packer4life
10-17-2013, 06:54 PM
Sherrod can be #2 backup swing tackle. If all goes to shit, aka EDS goes down, Lang can hit center, Newhouse takes RT and Barclay can move to RG. In that scenario we pray to the OL gods that no one else gets injured to allow Sherrod to get on the field!

red
10-17-2013, 07:13 PM
the title of the thread asks what WR's we will add this week

so, am i correct in thinking that it is now going on friday and we have added no one?

HarveyWallbangers
10-17-2013, 07:18 PM

so, am i correct in thinking that it is now going on friday and we have added no one?

Myles White

red
10-17-2013, 07:20 PM
Myles White

oh thats right, the practice squad guy

Joemailman
10-17-2013, 07:23 PM
And added Tyrone Walker to the PS. Not surprising considering Jones could possibly be back this week, and if not, likely next week.

Patler
10-17-2013, 09:16 PM
For WRs on the practice squad, they also added Reggie Dunn again this week.

Smeefers
10-18-2013, 01:42 PM
The only way Sherrod gets on the field is with an injury. From what I remember when he actually played a couple years ago, he was shit. Like, not even a decent shit. I could handle a decent shit. No, he was a watery pebbly shit that just couldn't keep it together. At least barclay is a solid shit. It's not like it sounds like a brick hits the porcelain when he's on the field, and even though he stinks, he's something you can be a little proud of. Maybe even show your wife.

Crap, what was I talking about? Isn't this a WR thread? Man...

CaptainKickass
10-18-2013, 02:34 PM
And let us not forget...

FRANKENBACKER II

was also promoted to the 53. If he plays TE, there's a chance he could have a pass thrown his way.

Guiness
10-18-2013, 02:58 PM
The only way Sherrod gets on the field is with an injury. From what I remember when he actually played a couple years ago, he was shit. Like, not even a decent shit. I could handle a decent shit. No, he was a watery pebbly shit that just couldn't keep it together. At least barclay is a solid shit. It's not like it sounds like a brick hits the porcelain when he's on the field, and even though he stinks, he's something you can be a little proud of. Maybe even show your wife.

Crap, what was I talking about? Isn't this a WR thread? Man...

He didn't see the field much before getting hurt, but he was on enough that if he'd been as bad as you say the team would've cut him an injury settlement long before now. They've kept him through a long rehab for a reason.

HarveyWallbangers
10-18-2013, 03:07 PM
We've went over this in another thread. Sherrod struggled at times, but also had his moments. If you read old posts, Sherrod wasn't nearly as bad as people remember him being. In fact, he was quite solid in a few of the games he played and many people were excited about his potential.

pbmax
10-18-2013, 03:11 PM
He didn't win the LT job outright from Newhouse in practice but he performed pretty well in two stints at RT in fill in capacity. The first was a team I always assume was Washington but was not and then against the Chiefs. Looked good after a bad play to start in first game, played well filling in for Bulaga versus Chiefs.

red
10-18-2013, 03:59 PM
we just pick up Chris Harper off waivers. he was cut by the 49ers and played for the seahawks this year too

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

anyone have anything on him?

edit. guess he was a 4th round pick by the seahawks this year from kansas state. got cut in the final cut down, was picked up by san fran, and was inactive for all 6 game

Bretsky
10-18-2013, 05:26 PM

the thread concept was shot from the start

Who will we add ? Whoever is on our practice squad or somebody else's

We never pondered adding a veteran; it is not our way

Bretsky
10-18-2013, 05:27 PM
Sherrod sucked most of the time IMO

pbmax
10-18-2013, 07:53 PM

Your doubt makes him stronger. Like Rodgers being passed over by the Browns.

Joemailman
10-18-2013, 08:24 PM
we just pick up Chris Harper off waivers. he was cut by the 49ers and played for the seahawks this year too

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

anyone have anything on him?

edit. guess he was a 4th round pick by the seahawks this year from kansas state. got cut in the final cut down, was picked up by san fran, and was inactive for all 6 game

http://www.fieldgulls.com/nfl-draft/2013/4/27/4275104/nfl-draft-results-seahawks-chris-harper-in-the-4th

Derek Stephens has been all over Harper in the run up to the Draft, and noted this in his 'best available fits' post this morning:

"Harper is one of my favorite WRs in the class. He's probably the most physically imposing of the group in terms of pure muscular build and strength. He's not the precise, fluid route runner who can stop or cut on a dime and shake defenders with regularity, but he exhibits an understanding and knack for using his body to seal off defenders and beat you with his physicality. He tracks the deep ball well, possesses strong hands and good coordination, and exhibits good body control and timing with going up for the jump ball. An underrated pass-catcher who could surprise and play a significant role his first year."

Watching some film of him, the one thing I noticed is he tends to round off his cuts. But he's a big receiver (6-1, 230), so maybe he can use his physicality to be effective. I read some drops in the preseason probably led to him being cut by Seattle. He's a former QB, so he might be able to pick up the offense fairly quickly.

Patler
10-18-2013, 09:24 PM
He didn't win the LT job outright from Newhouse in practice but he performed pretty well in two stints at RT in fill in capacity. The first was a team I always assume was Washington but was not and then against the Chiefs. Looked good after a bad play to start in first game, played well filling in for Bulaga versus Chiefs.

Sherrod couldn't take LT away from Newhouse in a game either. A week or two before Sherrod was injured, MM rotated Sherrod and Newhouse at LT. After the game, Newhouse mentioned that it had been planned all week, and they had rotated in practice, too, to set it up. The next week, it was announced that Newhouse would have LT to himself.

red
10-18-2013, 09:42 PM
the one thing that bugs me is that you have a first round rookie competing with a second year 5th rounder

sherrod should have had the benefit of the doubt if the competition was even close IMO, but newhouse still beat him out

and before anyone comes on here and says i've always hated sherrod and i'm just using this platform to spread my hate. let it be know that i was one of the biggest supporters of the sherrod pick when it was made, and no one will be happier then me if he comes back and looks great. but i just don't see it happening

HarveyWallbangers
10-18-2013, 10:29 PM
Sherrod was mostly decent when he played. He had a good first preseason game but really struggled in the second preseason game. Then, he struggled a bit in his first action in the regular season--which surprised some that thought he should dominate immediately. However, he was mostly decent. Go back and read the threads--rather than relying on memory.

Pugger
10-18-2013, 11:19 PM
the thread concept was shot from the start

Who will we add ? Whoever is on our practice squad or somebody else's

We never pondered adding a veteran; it is not our way

There isn't much out there to chose from tbh.

Pugger
10-18-2013, 11:20 PM

How can you know? He hasn't played enough to form an opinion one way or another.

red
10-18-2013, 11:39 PM
Sherrod was mostly decent when he played. He had a good first preseason game but really struggled in the second preseason game. Then, he struggled a bit in his first action in the regular season--which surprised some that thought he should dominate immediately. However, he was mostly decent. Go back and read the threads--rather than relying on memory.

i might have to go back and look. cause the way i remember it is that the game he got hurt in was the first real chance he had to do anything

Bretsky
10-19-2013, 01:42 AM
Your doubt makes him stronger. Like Rodgers being passed over by the Browns.

It OFTEN does

But it didn't work for Sally number one....I hope Sally number two has better luck

Bretsky
10-19-2013, 01:45 AM
the one thing that bugs me is that you have a first round rookie competing with a second year 5th rounder

sherrod should have had the benefit of the doubt if the competition was even close IMO, but newhouse still beat him out

and before anyone comes on here and says i've always hated sherrod and i'm just using this platform to spread my hate. let it be know that i was one of the biggest supporters of the sherrod pick when it was made, and no one will be happier then me if he comes back and looks great. but i just don't see it happening

that would be a good draft thread to bump
If I recall I noted about four or five guys I'd LOVE to draft...besides my dude Brooks Reed...........
and they all come off the board right before SherryHwhen he was drafted I was not excited by any means but I did not hate it either. The homer in me kicked in and while I was luke warm on the pick I defended it. I was bummed we missed out on SEVERAL guys taken right before Sherry....but they were gone.

Bretsky
10-19-2013, 01:47 AM
How can you know? He hasn't played enough to form an opinion one way or another.

Well there's a ton of opinions formed about his production but I agree the sample is small
He was a disappointment for me

pbmax
10-19-2013, 09:23 AM
Sherrod couldn't take LT away from Newhouse in a game either. A week or two before Sherrod was injured, MM rotated Sherrod and Newhouse at LT. After the game, Newhouse mentioned that it had been planned all week, and they had rotated in practice, too, to set it up. The next week, it was announced that Newhouse would have LT to himself.

By the time they were competing for the #1 job in the middle of the regular season, Newhouse had probably double the reps at Left Tackle than Sherrod. Plus a previous training camp AND a minicamp and OTA.

The benefit of the doubt might go to the physically more gifted player in training camp, but not the regular season. Experience will break a tie during the regular season.

The KC game showed what he could do physically. He might not contribute in a major way this season as he is still woefully short of reps. But if he stays healthy, I think he will be a starter next year.

red
10-19-2013, 10:33 AM
By the time they were competing for the #1 job in the middle of the regular season, Newhouse had probably double the reps at Left Tackle than Sherrod. Plus a previous training camp AND a minicamp and OTA.

The benefit of the doubt might go to the physically more gifted player in training camp, but not the regular season. Experience will break a tie during the regular season.

The KC game showed what he could do physically. He might not contribute in a major way this season as he is still woefully short of reps. But if he stays healthy, I think he will be a starter next year.

didn't he have a chance to win the job in training camp or preseason, or was he already hurting by then?

seems like forever ago, i can't remember this shit

pbmax
10-19-2013, 11:06 AM
didn't he have a chance to win the job in training camp or preseason, or was he already hurting by then?

seems like forever ago, i can't remember this shit

Just guessing on the reason for it, but he started at Guard, competing with Lang, as it was the likeliest place he would see action as a starter than year (still had Clifton and Bulaga). Given how McCarthy and Campen do this, he would have spent time at Guard at some point in camp just so they could cover their game day bases. But this year, his only first team reps were at Guard.

So he split 1st and 2nd team reps at Guard for the first few weeks of camp. He did spend time at tackle after Clifton/Newhouse on the left and possibly a few at RT behind Bulaga/don't-remember. So his pro tackle experience prior to the 3rd preseason game was 3rd team reps only in practice and two preseason games.

After the 3rd game (could have been prior, not certain), they declared by practice reps that Lang was the starting Guard and Sherrod would be backup tackle (this is when he might have seen RT snaps). Given Newhouse and the unknown previous backup RT (Giacomini??), that meant with a week or two to go in camp, Sherrod was now receiving 2nd and 3rd string reps at both tackles. My guess is that the 2nd team reps were at RT, but not positive.

The other thing to remember about McCarthy's camp is that after preseason game 3, they switch to Game Week practice schedules. So there were shorter practices and no more two-a-days (not even McCarthy's light version). So there are fewer overall reps now that Sherrod has moved to Tackle late in camp.

He had no OTA or rookie/regular minicamp. Newhouse had those plus an extra training camp. In season practices are comparatively short and only one per week is usually padded.

I tend to think Justin's critique of Sherrod's technique as perhaps too conclusive and superficial, but there also could be something about the system he played in college not giving him all the techniques he would need as a NFL tackle. That COULD enter into it. By practice time/reps alone, he might JUST be done as a rookie at Tackle.

red
10-19-2013, 11:27 AM
WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?

how can you remember all that? you sure you didn't just make it all up?

pbmax
10-19-2013, 11:39 AM
WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?

how can you remember all that? you sure you didn't just make it all up?

Patler, Bretsky and I have been having this argument bi-monthly since his injury and the 2012 offseason.

I started the last one here: http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?25710-Run-Game-Analysis-Its-the-Guys-Upfront&p=732771&viewfull=1#post732771

If you read through the thread you can also get the takes of Bretsky, Patler, Joemailman and I think Harv somewhere in there. And I actually encourage you (everyone) to read it because even from just two years ago I get details wrong. I thought he initially went into a Game for non-garbage time snaps versus Washington, but Joe pointed out it was St. Loius.

Patler also remembered the in-season competition he and Newhouse were having that Sherrod did not win that I had forgotten.

EDIT: Harlan actually started this particular Sherrod thing: http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?25710-Run-Game-Analysis-Its-the-Guys-Upfront&p=732760&viewfull=1#post732760

Brandon494
10-19-2013, 01:10 PM
Twitter @AdamSchefter: Broncos waived wide receiver Tavarres King and activated linebacker Von Miller to their 53-man roster.

WTF Denver? I actually like the WR we have now over King so I guess it worked out but I wonder if Packers try to go after him again?

red
10-19-2013, 01:47 PM
well, he's going through the waiver wire now, if we want him, we can get him

if he passes waivers, he can sign onto any ones PS

gbgary
10-19-2013, 01:51 PM
saw that. now we'll really see how much tt likes him.

Upnorth
10-19-2013, 04:24 PM
How about using franklin in space. He can catch, block down field, so long as he holds on.

Joemailman
10-19-2013, 04:36 PM
If I were King, I'd be pissed off at Denver. He had a chance to be on the Packers 53, but it looks like the Broncos deceived him into thinking he'd be on their 53 if he stayed. If they offer King a spot on their PS again, I hope he gives them a 1 finger salute.

denverYooper
10-19-2013, 05:01 PM
Twitter @AdamSchefter: Broncos waived wide receiver Tavarres King and activated linebacker Von Miller to their 53-man roster.

WTF Denver? I actually like the WR we have now over King so I guess it worked out but I wonder if Packers try to go after him again?

Wow. I wonder if they were just trying to block Green Bay?

Patler
10-19-2013, 07:57 PM
Just guessing on the reason for it, but he started at Guard, competing with Lang, as it was the likeliest place he would see action as a starter than year (still had Clifton and Bulaga). Given how McCarthy and Campen do this, he would have spent time at Guard at some point in camp just so they could cover their game day bases. But this year, his only first team reps were at Guard.

So he split 1st and 2nd team reps at Guard for the first few weeks of camp. He did spend time at tackle after Clifton/Newhouse on the left and possibly a few at RT behind Bulaga/don't-remember. So his pro tackle experience prior to the 3rd preseason game was 3rd team reps only in practice and two preseason games.

After the 3rd game (could have been prior, not certain), they declared by practice reps that Lang was the starting Guard and Sherrod would be backup tackle (this is when he might have seen RT snaps). Given Newhouse and the unknown previous backup RT (Giacomini??), that meant with a week or two to go in camp, Sherrod was now receiving 2nd and 3rd string reps at both tackles. My guess is that the 2nd team reps were at RT, but not positive.

The other thing to remember about McCarthy's camp is that after preseason game 3, they switch to Game Week practice schedules. So there were shorter practices and no more two-a-days (not even McCarthy's light version). So there are fewer overall reps now that Sherrod has moved to Tackle late in camp.

He had no OTA or rookie/regular minicamp. Newhouse had those plus an extra training camp. In season practices are comparatively short and only one per week is usually padded.

I tend to think Justin's critique of Sherrod's technique as perhaps too conclusive and superficial, but there also could be something about the system he played in college not giving him all the techniques he would need as a NFL tackle. That COULD enter into it. By practice time/reps alone, he might JUST be done as a rookie at Tackle.

Not much different than Bulaga's first year. He was mostly playing at guard, and seemed to have beaten out Colledge for the starting job until he got hurt. Came back and got backup reps at LT. When they put him in at RT, he hadn't even practiced there.

KYPack
10-19-2013, 08:30 PM

Good lookin' out, Brandon.

Denver needs to go on that list of "Teams that hose the shit out of players".

Detroit added Ross today.

So in the game of WR musical chairs, King was the one that didn't have a chair when the music stopped.

Wouldn't be surprised to see ATL or us to sign him to the real roster.

Guiness
10-19-2013, 09:04 PM
Wow. I wonder if they were just trying to block Green Bay?

Seems like it, although I can't think of why they'd want to block GB specifically, the only way these teams play each other would be if they meet in January!

But I'm with the mailman, he's got to be pissed with Denver, turns down another team's offer of a spot on the 53 then spends less than a week on the Bronco's roster.

Bretsky
10-20-2013, 04:30 AM
Not much different than Bulaga's first year. He was mostly playing at guard, and seemed to have beaten out Colledge for the starting job until he got hurt. Came back and got backup reps at LT. When they put him in at RT, he hadn't even practiced there.

This was my simple take as well; GB puts there first rounders at the spot they project him to start short term for starters. Sherrod did not do well at Guard and was not good enough...or ready to start. Bulaga/Tauscher.....others were. Sherrod disappointed at Guard. GB wants to get their best players on the field at the same time. Sherry was never one of them. So he went back to his projected spot at Tackle and could not win that job either. There is a lot of validity in pb's claim that Sherrod missed some important OTA's and practice time his first year. But his performance is pretty good evidence that he was way behind the eight ball. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think it's realistic that he contributes at all this year. Hell at this point I'd take anything out of him next year. Perhaps he turns into a Flanagan....but I'm not holding my breath

red
10-20-2013, 09:07 AM
If I were King, I'd be pissed off at Denver. He had a chance to be on the Packers 53, but it looks like the Broncos deceived him into thinking he'd be on their 53 if he stayed. If they offer King a spot on their PS again, I hope he gives them a 1 finger salute.

you could also look at the flip side of this. he gave the packers the bird when they needed him badly. could they just say "nope, you had you chance to join us, tough titties"

Pugger
10-20-2013, 09:40 AM
This was my simple take as well; GB puts there first rounders at the spot they project him to start short term for starters. Sherrod did not do well at Guard and was not good enough...or ready to start. Bulaga/Tauscher.....others were. Sherrod disappointed at Guard. GB wants to get their best players on the field at the same time. Sherry was never one of them. So he went back to his projected spot at Tackle and could not win that job either. There is a lot of validity in pb's claim that Sherrod missed some important OTA's and practice time his first year. But his performance is pretty good evidence that he was way behind the eight ball. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think it's realistic that he contributes at all this year. Hell at this point I'd take anything out of him next year. Perhaps he turns into a Flanagan....but I'm not holding my breath

Because of the lockout Sherrod missed hid rookie camp, OTAs and mini-camps. Then the genius Campen decides to try him at guard and he ain't no guard. I guess he was starting to come around a little right before he broke his leg. IMO guys don't forget how to play in 2 years. He'll be rusty as hell but he's been playing football since he was a kid so this will be like riding a bike. There was a reason he was drafted in the first round. He may not contribute this year - these next few weeks will be his training camp - but if his leg is truly whole again he'll be in the running for a spot on the line in 2014.

Pugger
10-20-2013, 09:42 AM
you could also look at the flip side of this. he gave the packers the bird when they needed him badly. could they just say "nope, you had you chance to join us, tough titties"

I don't begrudge him for signing with Denver and I doubt TT does either. He knows the playbook, coaches and players there. How was he to know Elway would screw him over?

pbmax
10-20-2013, 09:55 AM
Who was Bulaga's competition for backup RT? Was there a player of Newhouse's caliber on the roster, with more game experience and reps in front of him?

If Newhouse had disappeared down a manhole after the start of the season, Sherrod would have backed up both Tackle positions as Bulaga did. Tauscher was also down for the year (2010) when he got injured, giving Bulaga unfettered access to the starting lineup and reps. Both Clifton and Bulaga (2011) returned in season. If they had stayed injured that year, what would have happened?

Every player is responsible to make hay when their opportunity knocks, to mix some metaphors, but that doesn't mean all opportunities are the same. Bulaga had a large season segment (12 starts) to knock out his rookie kinks (plus OTA, rookie camp and minicamp). Sherrod had partial stints in 5 games and no offseason other than a truncated camp.

While Sherrod might not be the player to go to the mat on this particular topic, he is a good demonstration of how valuing experience and previous results can impede the younger players development. And I simply don't believe Bulaga's superiority at Guard* tells us anything about Sherrod at Tackle. Clifton couldn't play guard better than Tauscher but I don't want Tauscher at Left Tackle.

* This line of reasoning also requires judging Lang and Colledge as roughly equal competition. I actually don't know how to judge that.

run pMc
10-21-2013, 12:05 PM
Back to thread topic --
So they have Jordy, Boykin, possibly Jones coming back, with White and Harper.

I think they are trying to develop competition in the slot b/t White and Harper -- Harper doesn't have the speed/quickness White does, but with his QB background I could see him finding soft spots in zones and using his size/strength to play an Anquan Boldin type of game. Granted, he'd need a lot of coaching to get there, but he's better there than at TE IMO...he's too small to play TE. Also -- with his size and background, maybe they are looking to see if he can play the same role as Cobb: in the slot, out of the backfield, trick plays, etc.

If the duo of Franklin and Hyde can be the KR/PR, maybe someone like Harper can play Ross' role as Cobb's backup.

HarveyWallbangers
10-21-2013, 04:51 PM
Harper goes 230 and reportedly doesn't run crisp routes. I don't see him as a slot guy. I think he's the answer to losing Jones. White is the answer to losing Cobb. King was probably the preferred answer to losing Cobb initially.

red
10-21-2013, 05:03 PM
king was claimed off waivers by the panthers

thats what he gets for rejecting us. he had a chance to be on a good team, now he's forced to be on one of the worst

pbmax
10-21-2013, 05:23 PM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 45m
Lost in Finley news today is McCarthy saying Jones' knee was a 2-3 week injury. Sunday is "possible." ...Still, GB will need Boykin again.

James Jones might not be ready this week. McCarthy might have been a tad optimistic last week.

Bretsky
10-21-2013, 08:46 PM
Harper goes 230 and reportedly doesn't run crisp routes. I don't see him as a slot guy. I think he's the answer to losing Jones. White is the answer to losing Cobb. King was probably the preferred answer to losing Cobb initially.

Won't Boykins be the slot guy ? I think he runs crisp patterns and this is a real importont role.....I figured it would be Boykins

HarveyWallbangers
10-21-2013, 09:10 PM
Won't Boykins be the slot guy ? I think he runs crisp patterns and this is a real importont role.....I figured it would be Boykins

I think they'll rotate Nelson, Jones, and Boykin. I don't think any of them are suited for the slot.

pbmax
10-21-2013, 10:09 PM

Hard to say, though if Jones isn't healthy, then it doesn't matter. But so far in his career, Boykin has been wide and usually the split end (side with just one WR) helping him get single coverage.

SnakeLH2006
10-22-2013, 03:51 AM
He might need a few weeks on the treadmill, but word on the block is that legendary former star WR Taco Wallace, from the 2005 Packers, is still available:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzeZ27XJ-7g
:

run pMc
10-22-2013, 11:13 AM
What about Roell Preston? He could return KO's too.

Seriously, I hope Jones can make it back. It would improve the efficiency of the passing game.