PDA

View Full Version : Why is Herron even *close* to the field?

mission
08-25-2006, 07:37 PM
I'm sorry but this guy just has *nothing*. I don't care how well he understands the offense or has picked it up faster than Gado. I've never seen him do anything. Anywhere. Northwestern included.

Last year he was supposed to be some nice little diamond in the rough signing and I think he's being let off the hook because there are so many Najeh Davenport (I'm not exactly his number one fan either) haters about at the moment.

Herron is nothing and not to be a dick (sorry I've had a few beers!) but he's never going to be anything either. Get him off the team, give the rock to Arliss Beach and look out.

There is way too much discussion about him and its annoying as hell. Can someone please tell me one positive thing he's done in a game. He doesn't even look like he belongs in the NFL.

vince
08-25-2006, 07:39 PM
I think your wishes will come true - very soon...

retailguy
08-25-2006, 08:10 PM
Tony,

This guy bailed us out last year at the end of the year when we had no one else. The staff is probably giving him every opportunity to "turn it on".... and in my opinion thats deserved. He didn't have to leave Pittsburg's practice squad, in fact, they tried to talk him out of it based upon having an opportunity this year.

He probably won't make it, but the display of loyalty is nice to see...

mission
08-25-2006, 08:17 PM
i guess retailguy but i only remember two decent runs last year and man, the holes were ginormous!!

i dunno, he's just one of those guys im not feeling for whatever reason.

retailguy
08-25-2006, 08:23 PM
i guess retailguy but i only remember two decent runs last year and man, the holes were ginormous!!

i dunno, he's just one of those guys im not feeling for whatever reason.

Well, I agree with you that he's definitely not making the most of his opportunity, and I agree that they've given him a big one.

They have to move the reps to Beach. That guy is delivering...

Scott Campbell
08-25-2006, 08:24 PM
It's not like guys are stepping up left and right to beat out Herron.

Well maybe Beach is.

Joemailman
08-25-2006, 08:29 PM
Right now I think the last RB/FB spot is between Herron and Davenport. At least Herron has been able to stay on the practice field. I think Herron will make it.

digitaldean
08-25-2006, 09:24 PM
Right now I think the last RB/FB spot is between Herron and Davenport. At least Herron has been able to stay on the practice field. I think Herron will make it.

Given MM's reaction to Da Poop's hip injury at practice, it seems Mr. #2 may not be long for Titletown. If he can stay healthy and perform he should make the squad. But his frequent trips to the trainer's room won't help his cause with MM.

If that's the case, Herron will hang onto his spot.

retailguy
08-25-2006, 09:25 PM
Given MM's reaction to Da Poop's hip injury at practice, it seems Mr. #2 may not be long for Titletown. If he can stay healthy and perform he should make the squad. But his frequent trips to the trainer's room won't help his cause with MM.

I missed this, what'd he say?

digitaldean
08-25-2006, 10:00 PM

I missed this, what'd he say?

retailguy,

From kffl.com:
Packers | McCarthy warns Davenport to get healthy
Fri, 25 Aug 2006 05:41:30 -0700

Jason Wilde, of the Wisconsin State Journal, reports Green Bay Packers head coach Mike McCarthy sent a not-so-subtle message to oft-injured No. 2 RB Najeh Davenport (hip) Thursday, Aug. 24. The gist: Start spending more time on the field and less in the training room, or you won't be here. Davenport had just missed his second straight day of practice after dropping out of Tuesday night's workout, Aug. 22, because of a strained hip flexor. When asked the rather innocuous question of whether Davenport will play in Monday night's exhibition game, Aug. 28, at Cincinnati, McCarthy replied, "Player injuries I really can't control. Obviously, you want to see him out there. He's competing for a roster spot. Am I concerned? I'm concerned about what's best for our football team. We like the things Najeh has done, but he needs to get out there and play and make our football team just like everybody else."

I take from this that MM has had enough of #2's injury problems. He wants people to make a difference. They won't make a difference in the training room.

retailguy
08-25-2006, 10:05 PM
Wow, that's pretty clear.... think he heard him? I'd doubt it.

Packnut
08-25-2006, 10:09 PM
I'm sorry but this guy just has *nothing*. I don't care how well he understands the offense or has picked it up faster than Gado. I've never seen him do anything. Anywhere. Northwestern included.

Last year he was supposed to be some nice little diamond in the rough signing and I think he's being let off the hook because there are so many Najeh Davenport (I'm not exactly his number one fan either) haters about at the moment.

Herron is nothing and not to be a dick (sorry I've had a few beers!) but he's never going to be anything either. Get him off the team, give the rock to Arliss Beach and look out.

There is way too much discussion about him and its annoying as hell. Can someone please tell me one positive thing he's done in a game. He doesn't even look like he belongs in the NFL.

I gotta agree on this one. Herron has done nothing to warrant making this team.

digitaldean
08-25-2006, 10:10 PM
Wow, that's pretty clear.... think he heard him? I'd doubt it.

I love Davenport's power, but he doesn't seem to have it as in previous seasons. He looked more like Darrell Thompson by running into his linemen in the SD game. He looked OK in the Atlanta game, but not overpowering.

I know the Rams game was probably a high water mark in his GB career, but he should be able to beat some of these guys out.

But he won't hear MM's words or be able to prove it on the field by sitting on the trainer's table. Legit injuries or not, if you can't hold up, you won't last.

ceeman
08-25-2006, 10:19 PM
Tony,

This guy bailed us out last year at the end of the year when we had no one else. The staff is probably giving him every opportunity to "turn it on".... and in my opinion thats deserved. He didn't have to leave Pittsburg's practice squad, in fact, they tried to talk him out of it based upon having an opportunity this year.

He probably won't make it, but the display of loyalty is nice to see...

Bailed us out? What, with his 2.7 yards per carry.

MacCool606
08-25-2006, 10:25 PM
With a guy like Davenport, I'm always afraid we'll cut him and he will turn into a stud immediately after with someone else. When he has played he has been good.

digitaldean
08-25-2006, 10:29 PM
With a guy like Davenport, I'm always afraid we'll cut him and he will turn into a stud immediately after with someone else. When he has played he has been good.

That's the key..."when he has played".

I think he's a good #2 back (not THAT #2), nothing more. But his health is his drawback.

retailguy
08-25-2006, 10:35 PM
[quote=retailguy]

Bailed us out? What, with his 2.7 yards per carry.

I think the fact that he left the world champs who promised him a "shot" this year for the packers is a fairly substantial thing.

I wasn't implying that he was a "great" back, but remember, we were on our 7th back by that point. The next plan was to grab a couple of guys out of the stands.