PDA

View Full Version : Roster problem looming?

Patler
10-14-2013, 08:35 AM
Matthews will be out for multiple weeks.
Starks, who the heck knows what's up with him?
Hayward is still "making progress", but not playing.
VanRoten - a guess, but since he didn't practice at all and was declared out early last week, is likely to miss at least another week.
Jones - same as Van Roten, and since its a hamstring for Jones, likely more missed games.
Bush is in and out of the lineup

Now, with Cobb and Jones likely to will miss time even if their injuries are not serious, the double hit at a position may require adding a WR, but at the expense of who?

The healthiest area right now is DL, and it is also an area of seeming surplus of numbers. Logical guy to cut would be Boyd. But, if they have tentatively decide to let Wilson leave in the off season, maybe a trade for a 7th would make sense? Would anyone give that for him?

There were signs that others might be growing into Bush's role on STs. Maybe it is time to move on from Bush?

Starks has already given us the couple good performances that he seems to supply in a given season. Is it time to realize that he will just never be healthy enough for more than just a couple games each year, and let him go?

I suspect if they need a spot, Boyd will be released.

QBME
10-14-2013, 08:46 AM
Matthews will be out for multiple weeks.
Starks, who the heck knows what's up with him?
Hayward is still "making progress", but not playing.
VanRoten - a guess, but since he didn't practice at all and was declared out early last week, is likely to miss at least another week.
Jones - same as Van Roten, and since its a hamstring for Jones, likely more missed games.
Bush is in and out of the lineup

Now, with Cobb and Jones likely to will miss time even if their injuries are not serious, the double hit at a position may require adding a WR, but at the expense of who?

The healthiest area right now is DL, and it is also an area of seeming surplus of numbers. Logical guy to cut would be Boyd. But, if they have tentatively decide to let Wilson leave in the off season, maybe a trade for a 7th would make sense? Would anyone give that for him?

There were signs that others might be growing into Bush's role on STs. Maybe it is time to move on from Bush?

Starks has already given us the couple good performances that he seems to supply in a given season. Is it time to realize that he will just never be healthy enough for more than just a couple games each year, and let him go?

I suspect if they need a spot, Boyd will be released.

Isn't the IR/Designated to Return option still available? Not much relief, but may come in handy.

denverYooper
10-14-2013, 08:50 AM
Starks is a tough call. He's the only other back that would fill Lacy's bruiser role but he can't stay on the field.

Patler
10-14-2013, 08:54 AM
Isn't the IR/Designated to Return option still available? Not much relief, but may come in handy.

It is, but the player has to miss a minimum of 8 weeks. Maybe it will end up making sense for one of Cobb or Jones, but the others don't seem to be so long term.

pittstang5
10-14-2013, 09:10 AM
I've been calling for Boyd's release everytime someone is hurt or they need a roster spot, yet he is still there and inactive every week. IMO, he's wasting a roster spot - he is not going to play this year, unless two or more DL guys go down.

I guess the issue with Boyd is; if he's released and tried to sign on the PS, someone is going to pick him up. I didn't see anything in preseason that would suggest that. But, I've heard, mostly on here, that a 4-3 team would grab him, which begs the question, if he's suited for a 4-3 team, why do we have him?

Solution - Trade Boyd for a veteran WR that can come in right away. :smile:

Smidgeon
10-14-2013, 10:52 AM
1) Wilson for 7th OR Cut Bush
2) Glad I'm not TT. Boyd's on the roster for a reason. It isn't this year, but it's still a reason.

3irty1
10-14-2013, 11:05 AM
Even with Worthy coming back, Boyd will be needed to replenish the DL after the 2014 FA year. Rookie DT's in the mold of run-stuffers like Boyd typically don't do anything in their first year or two anyways, especially when he's not needed. Wilson is sure to leave after this year and Boyd's skill set seems suitable to replace him in his opportunities. Jolly has been such a pleasant surprise that we do seem to have an embarrassment of riches for the time being.

What about the RB they just signed Hill, or the latest addition to the CB corps. I'd say someone from the group of TE's is expendable as well.

Patler
10-14-2013, 11:15 AM
What about the RB they just signed Hill, or the latest addition to the CB corps. I'd say someone from the group of TE's is expendable as well.

With Starks on the shelf, they are an injury to Lacy away from having to having to play Mr. Fumbles and Kuhn, so the RB might be needed. With Hayward still not practicing meaningfully, Bush being in and out with injuries and Tramon Williams not playing commensurate with his pay, I think they will want to hold on to Nixon.

One of the TEs could be a possibility.

3irty1
10-14-2013, 11:33 AM
Another thing to consider is that pretty much anybody you release from the DL is likely to become a Bear as injuries are piling up at DT for them. I think that should rule out Wilson.

Bub
10-14-2013, 11:52 AM
Who do we have on PuP? Maybe we dump an put Roten on IR knowing that we'll get Sherrod in a few weeks. We could sign a WR as a short term fill in with hopes of getting Cobb/Jones back in a few weeks.

KYPack
10-14-2013, 11:58 AM
I haven't posted about it, but I've been all for thinning out the herd at TE for several years now. I know you keep some extra TE's and LB's for specials,but sheesh we keep too many of those guys around, IMHO. Brandon Bostick TE is a kid unknown to me. IR for Van Roten or PS for Bostick seems like some logical moves at this time.

Wouldn't Sherry have to at least get some pad time under his belt before we do anything with him??

Bub
10-14-2013, 11:59 AM
Nevermind...here it is. We have a couple of OL coming back as well as potentially a DL. How about cutting one of our underperforming Safeties?

Reserve/Injured
# Name Pos. Ht. Wt. Age Exp. College
75 Bulaga, Bryan T 6-5 314 24 4 Iowa
13 Cunningham, Sederrik WR 5-11 192 24 R Furman
16 Dorsey, Kevin WR 6-1 207 23 R Maryland
49 Francois, Robert LB 6-2 250 28 4 Boston College
26 Harris, DuJuan RB 5-8 203 25 1 Troy

Practice Squad
77 Adams, Aaron T 6-5 303 24 R Eastern Kentucky
68 Collins, Bryan G 6-3 301 22 R Southern Methodist
72 Gerhart, Garth C 6-1 310 24 1 Arizona State
20 Rolle, Jumal CB 6-0 188 23 R Catawba
45 Stoneburner, Jake TE 6-3 249 24 R Ohio State
16 Tolzien, Scott QB 6-2 213 26 3 Wisconsin
19 White, Myles WR 6-0 182 23 R Louisiana Tech

Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform
28 Richardson, Sean S 6-2 216 23 2 Vanderbilt
78 Sherrod, Derek T 6-6 321 24 3 Mississippi State
73 Tretter, JC T 6-4 307 22 R Cornell
99 Worthy, Jerel DE 6-2 304 23 2 Michigan State

Smidgeon
10-14-2013, 12:57 PM
I wonder if the Pack will keep Dorsey on IR instead of releasing him now that Johnson is a Brown...

As for the PUP: I doubt Sean Richardson will ever play for the Packers due to that neck injury, but it seems they're giving him a chance at least. If Tretter's ready, Van Roten is IRed. Don't know if Worthy has a spot with this D-Line rotation. He didn't show much last year. If so, he probably replaces Wilson. And Sherrod replaces the other backup (Lane Taylor?) or someone else is cut from somewhere besides the O-line.

hoosier
10-14-2013, 01:12 PM
It sure would be nice to wake up and see this in the morning paper under NFL transactions: "Packers cut S Jerron McMillian."

pittstang5
10-14-2013, 01:19 PM
What do you do with Tretter? He has had no practice, preseason or anything. You can't expect him to come in and just play, can you? Can you put him on the PS, i.e. will he make it to the PS?

Harlan Huckleby
10-14-2013, 01:20 PM

ya, moving Hill back to PS is obvious choice. I just bashed Kuhn mercilessly in another thread, but he does function as an emergency RB.

BTW, I suppose Sherrod will send Lane Taylor to practice squad.

Harlan Huckleby
10-14-2013, 01:21 PM
What do you do with Tretter? He has had no practice, preseason or anything. You can't expect him to come in and just play, can you? Can you put him on the PS, i.e. will he make it to the PS?

IR. Tell him to resume limping.

run pMc
10-14-2013, 01:53 PM
I thought they injury settlement-waived Dorsey, or something like that?

As for players coming off the PUP, they have some time before they have to make a decision (IIRC its 5 weeks vs. 3 in previous seasons), and they'll use it. Someone will get hurt and end up on IR by then. If not, they'll release Hill, Nixon and Taylor and sign them to PS. I think some of the people on PUP will get IR'd. I assume Richardson can play, keeping him on PUP tells me the doctors cleared him for contact...but they might just redshirt him.

Worthy didn't provide a whole lot last year IMO. Granted, he was a rookie and was reshaping his body on the fly for Capers' defense, but he wasn't exactly setting the world on fire either. Would be surprised if C.J. Wilson gets released.

Hayward will play, probably this week vs. CLE or MIN barring major setback. Matthews is out about 3 more weeks. Cobb could get the IR designated to return if the injury isn't season ending. Sounds like the Joneses (James, Brad) will be back soonish. If J.Bush is healthy they'll put him back on ST...the Ravens had some success and (Fire)Slocum will want to get that fixed.

KYPack
10-14-2013, 02:25 PM
I think decision time is 3 weeks, Run.

Tretter to PS? He'd be snapped up by another team in hours. PS doesn't give you any ownership of the player. If another team can put the player on the regular roster, he's gone off your PS.

Moves are on the way, but after reading this thread and hearing the scuttlebutt, I am more confused than ever.

Harlan Huckleby
10-14-2013, 02:27 PM
BTW, Hill's decision to run a kickoff out of the endzone with defenders converging on him may have helped create a safe passage back to the PS.

Patler
10-14-2013, 02:31 PM
I wonder if the Pack will keep Dorsey on IR instead of releasing him now that Johnson is a Brown...

I don't understand the connection between the two moves. How does Johnson going to the Browns affect what the Packers might do with Dorsey on IR?

mraynrand
10-14-2013, 02:33 PM
I think decision time is 3 weeks, Run.

Tretter to PS? He'd be snapped up by another team in hours. PS doesn't give you any ownership of the player. If another team can put the player on the regular roster, he's gone off your PS.

You can pay him more and promise him a starter spot on a consistent playoff team. You can pretty much promise he'll get significantly injured again. Everyone does. It's a part of being a Packer.

KYPack
10-14-2013, 02:45 PM
You can pay him more and promise him a starter spot on a consistent playoff team. You can pretty much promise he'll get significantly injured again. Everyone does. It's a part of being a Packer.

You can convince a guy to STAY on your practice squad vs another team's PS, sure.

I don't know of a case where somebody stayed on a our PS vs joining a team's regular roster.

No team can pay a guy regular season wage on the PS. Beside, when you hit the roster you get credit for your pension.

All that shit said, I agree, Tretter is probably too hurt to hit anybody's roster.

Smidgeon
10-14-2013, 02:50 PM
I don't understand the connection between the two moves. How does Johnson going to the Browns affect what the Packers might do with Dorsey on IR?

Presumably they were similar types of receivers. I was thinking the Pack picked the development of one over the other. But with that one signed to the Brown's squad, I thought there's a chance the Pack might want to develop the other instead. A loose connection, but a connection nonetheless.

gbgary
10-14-2013, 02:52 PM
@AdamSchefter: #Packers WR James Jones sprained PCL vs. Ravens but might be able to play Sunday vs. Browns. Decision later this week.

Joemailman
10-14-2013, 03:02 PM
You can convince a guy to STAY on your practice squad vs another team's PS, sure.

I don't know of a case where somebody stayed on a our PS vs joining a team's regular roster.

No team can pay a guy regular season wage on the PS. Beside, when you hit the roster you get credit for your pension.

All that shit said, I agree, Tretter is probably too hurt to hit anybody's roster.

A couple of years ago, Packers raised the pay of a PS player (Tori Gurley?) to convince him to stay on the PS rather than accept a contract from another team. I think teams can pay PS players as much as they want. There is a minimum salary, but I'm not aware of a maximum one.

hoosier
10-14-2013, 03:17 PM
The Packers might want to see if they can get Goodell, using his extraordinary powers as Commissioner, to grant them an exemption on the 53 man limit to their roster.

Patler
10-14-2013, 03:22 PM
Presumably they were similar types of receivers. I was thinking the Pack picked the development of one over the other. But with that one signed to the Brown's squad, I thought there's a chance the Pack might want to develop the other instead. A loose connection, but a connection nonetheless.

To release him from IR, they have to negotiate an injury settlement, which is supposed to reflect the length of time it is presumed he will be unable to play. Then, not only does the releasing team have to waive him, they also can not sign him for the length of the injury settlement term. After the injury settlement, other teams can sign him anytime they want, but the Packers would have to wait.

Patler
10-14-2013, 03:36 PM
A couple of years ago, Packers raised the pay of a PS player (Tori Gurley?) to convince him to stay on the PS rather than accept a contract from another team. I think teams can pay PS players as much as they want. There is a minimum salary, but I'm not aware of a maximum one.

They did it with three players the same year. With three weeks left in the season. Gurley had an offer from the Vikings. Diondre Borel and Brandon Ross also received offers about the same time. The Packers agreed to raise all three to rookie minimum wage, but since it was only for three weeks, it didn't cost them a lot. The players didn't give up much, because there was too few weeks left for them to gain a year of service toward pensions or free agency.

I think they gave Graham Harrell something above $100K one year to stay on their PS. At the time, it was quite a bit more than required, but less than rookie minimum.

It all counts against the salary cap, so I'm not too sure they would want to pay rookie minimum too early in the year, or with very many players.

Patler
10-14-2013, 04:32 PM
For the upcoming week it is starting to look like the Packers may end up suiting up a player who they have no intention of playing.

Smidgeon
10-14-2013, 05:03 PM
To release him from IR, they have to negotiate an injury settlement, which is supposed to reflect the length of time it is presumed he will be unable to play. Then, not only does the releasing team have to waive him, they also can not sign him for the length of the injury settlement term. After the injury settlement, other teams can sign him anytime they want, but the Packers would have to wait.

Right. And I was suggesting that maybe the Pack squats on him instead of negotiating an injury settlement. Unless that part has already been completed. I don't know how IR/waived works versus plain IR.

And frankly, I don't know if Dorsey is even worth it. Just speculation.

Rastak
10-14-2013, 05:51 PM
From ESPN:

"Packers coach Mike McCarthy would not reveal any details of the injuries but a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that Jones has a sprained posterior cruciate knee ligament. ESPN Senior NFL Analyst Chris Mortensen confirmed a report by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that said Cobb has a fractured fibula and could miss 6-8 weeks."

Meanwhile the entire Viking's defense was outright killed on Sunday.

KYPack
10-14-2013, 07:41 PM
They did it with three players the same year. With three weeks left in the season. Gurley had an offer from the Vikings. Diondre Borel and Brandon Ross also received offers about the same time. The Packers agreed to raise all three to rookie minimum wage, but since it was only for three weeks, it didn't cost them a lot. The players didn't give up much, because there was too few weeks left for them to gain a year of service toward pensions or free agency.

I think they gave Graham Harrell something above $100K one year to stay on their PS. At the time, it was quite a bit more than required, but less than rookie minimum.

It all counts against the salary cap, so I'm not too sure they would want to pay rookie minimum too early in the year, or with very many players.

Hey, ya learn something every day

I can see it if it was the same dollars and didn't count towards FA or pension.

I don't see how it could happen at this point in the season.

I'm also not sure who we are trying to keep.

red
10-14-2013, 08:37 PM
i'd cut bush cause i hate him and think he's a worthless pile of shit. i'd also cut starks, the talent is there, but he's been healthy for a total of like 3 games in his career

pbmax
10-14-2013, 09:57 PM
i'd cut bush cause i hate him and think he's a worthless pile of shit. i'd also cut starks, the talent is there, but he's been healthy for a total of like 3 games in his career

Starks would be tempting, but they are already thin there. If he is on schedule to be able to play inside a month, I think its unlikely he goes anywhere.

pbmax
10-14-2013, 09:57 PM
Starks would be tempting, but they are already thin there. If he is on schedule to be able to play inside a month, I think its unlikely he goes anywhere.

More likely Hill gets waived for a healing Starks and open up a spot that way.

bobblehead
10-14-2013, 11:01 PM
I've been calling for Boyd's release everytime someone is hurt or they need a roster spot, yet he is still there and inactive every week. IMO, he's wasting a roster spot - he is not going to play this year, unless two or more DL guys go down.

I guess the issue with Boyd is; if he's released and tried to sign on the PS, someone is going to pick him up. I didn't see anything in preseason that would suggest that. But, I've heard, mostly on here, that a 4-3 team would grab him, which begs the question, if he's suited for a 4-3 team, why do we have him?

Solution - Trade Boyd for a veteran WR that can come in right away. :smile:

I personally believe that Boyd is about to have a mysterious knee/back/hardtodefine injury that may land him on the IR for the remainder of this season.

pbmax
10-15-2013, 08:16 AM
I personally believe that Boyd is about to have a mysterious knee/back/hardtodefine injury that may land him on the IR for the remainder of this season.

Sports hernia. No one actually knows what the heck that means.

Harlan Huckleby
10-15-2013, 12:31 PM
It sure would be nice to wake up and see this in the morning paper under NFL transactions: "Packers cut S Jerron McMillian."

After reading Bob McGinn's game ratings, I think you might dare to dream. Banjo can't be any worse. Jarrett Bush can be emergency depth.

Carolina_Packer
10-15-2013, 06:23 PM
After reading Bob McGinn's game ratings, I think you might dare to dream. Banjo can't be any worse. Jarrett Bush can be emergency depth.

Right now, McMillian looks lost out there, like he's caught in-between a lot and not terribly instinctive. I hope that's just him out there thinking too much and that the game will slow down for him really soon and he can just turn it loose and play. I think he could be a thumper, but not if he can't process information faster and keeps getting burned in coverage. Atari Bigby part II?

Patler
10-15-2013, 10:27 PM
I haven't posted about it, but I've been all for thinning out the herd at TE for several years now.

By "thinning out the herd" you meant adding another TE, right? :lol: Apparently they decided they were too light at TE, so signed Stonebruner.

You got the VanRoten to IR move right.

pbmax
10-15-2013, 11:07 PM
In the future, much to Bob McGinn's dismay, all Packer players will be 6' 4"-6' 5" and weigh 255-260 lbs. Except for the QB and the kicker.

Masthay is going to have to bulk up.

mraynrand
10-16-2013, 07:36 AM
In the future, much to Bob McGinn's dismay, all Packer players will be 6' 4"-6' 5" and weigh 255-260 lbs. Except for the QB and the kicker.

Masthay is going to have to bulk up.

You probably want to be bigger than Steve Hauschka, just for safety purposes.

http://www.straitpinkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/StevenHauschka.jpg