PDA

View Full Version : Friday's Camp Notes - Hodge Lays the Wood on Herron

vince
08-25-2006, 07:37 PM
http://packerstrainingcampupdates.blogspot.com/

Woodson intercepts Wrobel; Jennings continues to impress
More highlights from Friday’s practice:
** Cornerback Charles Woodson intercepted a Brian Wrobel pass over the middle during team drills.

** Rookie receiver Greg Jennings continues to look impressive, he made several nice catches during practice and appears to be a solid candidate to become a starter before long.

** Tight end Zac Alcorn dropped an easy pass from Aaron Rodgers.

-- Mike Vandermause, sports editor, Green Bay Press-Gazette

Hodge blasts Herron in team drills; receiver Lee has 2 TDs
Highlights from team drills Friday:

** In one of the biggest hits of training camp, linebacker Abdul Hodge blasted running back Noah Herron on a hand-off behind the line of scrimmage. It was a nontackling drill but Hodge nevertheless made solid contact with Herron, who bobbled the ball before going to the ground and hanging on.

** Tight end Donald Lee had a pair of touchdown catches -- one against cornerback Antonio Malone and another in lunging grab in the corner of the end zone against Jeremy Modkins. Malone also gave up a touchdown pass against Robert Ferguson. Donald Driver made up for a previous drop by catching a touchdown pass from quarterback Aaron Rodgers in tight coverage.

** Running back Najeh Davenport also dropped an easy pass coming out of the backfield.

-- Mike Vandermause, sports editor, Green Bay Press-Gazette

mission
08-25-2006, 07:39 PM
re: Herron

see my thread. blow him up and get him off the team.

he's never done anything to resemble an NFL player.

hodge on the other hand.............

retailguy
08-25-2006, 08:12 PM
Who is Antonio Malone? Where did he come from?

Joemailman
08-25-2006, 08:18 PM
Antonio Malone #20
Position: Cornerback
College: Toledo
NFL Exp: Rookie
Packers Exp: Rookie
Ht: 6' 0"
Wt: 188 lbs.
Aquired: FA-06

At A Glance

Signed by Green Bay as a free agent, Aug. 15, 2006
Originally signed with Detroit on May 4, 2006, as a non-drafted free agent; subsequently waived by the Lions on June 22
A four-year letterman, played in 55 games for Toledo
A three-year starter, finished his career with 167 tackles and six interceptions
Collected 38 stops (20 solo) in his final season at Toledo, returning his lone interception 60 yards for a score
Started all 12 games for the Rockets in 2004; registered 53 tackles and two interceptions among six passes defensed
Played in and started 10 games in 2003 before missing the final two contests due to injury
Tallied 46 tackles on the season
Picked off two passes vs. Northern Illinois (Nov. 15); both interceptions led to Rocket touchdowns
Recorded 30 tackles at backup cornerback as a true freshman in 2002
A three-sport letter winner at Portsmouth (Ohio) High School
Earned PrepStar All-America honors as a senior
A third-team All-Ohio selection by the Ohio High School Football Report, he collected 65 tackles and five interceptions among 22 passes defended in his final season
Also lettered in basketball and track
Single, lives in Portsmouth, Ohio
Given name Antonio Lee Malone; born in Fort Ord, Calif.

Scott Campbell
08-25-2006, 08:18 PM
Sounds like your run of the mill camp body.

retailguy
08-25-2006, 08:21 PM
Sounds like your run of the mill camp body.

Here today. Gone Tuesday.

BallHawk
08-25-2006, 08:25 PM
I really like Donald Lee. He can have hands of steel sometimes, but he is a good compliment to Franks.

Partial
08-25-2006, 08:42 PM
I really like Donald Lee. He can have hands of steel sometimes, but he is a good compliment to Franks.

2nd most overrated packer

BallHawk
08-25-2006, 09:06 PM
Who's number one?

retailguy
08-25-2006, 09:09 PM

Why? I don't think he's that bad....

HarveyWallbangers
08-25-2006, 10:38 PM
Lee has nice potential. If they kept Martin around for years because of his potential, they should keep Lee around. He's got more talent than Martin.

digitaldean
08-25-2006, 10:40 PM
Lee has nice potential. If they kept Martin around for years because of his potential, they should keep Lee around. He's got more talent than Martin.

I'd have to rank Martin in my top 5 overrated. He's always hurt and has the P tag (potential) applied. Problem is it doesn't stick.

retailguy
08-25-2006, 10:41 PM
I'd have to rank Martin in my top 5 overrated. He's always hurt and has the P tag (potential) applied. Problem is it doesn't stick.

Agreed. Martin is a tease. Always has been, always will be. Just like Tyrone Davis.

esoxx
08-25-2006, 10:52 PM
I saw the hit Hodges put on Herron and it was something to see. He literally blew him up as he took the hand off. I assume he was unblocked b/c that was whack. Brady Poppinga was on the sidelines with his helmet off and as Herron was laid to waste, his eyes widen and you could read his lips saying "Wowwww!"

After years of pedestrian LB play, I'm geeked up over this new hittin' crew we got brewin'.

Bretsky
08-25-2006, 10:52 PM
Who's number one?

Brady Poppinga = Most overrated Packer by forum members in here.

BF4MVP
08-26-2006, 02:17 AM
Who's number one?

I would agree with that.

Partial
08-26-2006, 02:22 AM

Why? I don't think he's that bad....

Certainly not bad, but he isn't a complete player yet by any means. He has the ability to get open, but so has David Martin for 6 years.

Fritz
08-26-2006, 11:26 AM
Am I the only one who is slightly uncomfortable when I read the phrase "laying the wood" in this forum?

4and12to12and4
08-26-2006, 12:15 PM
I agree that Poppinga is a bit overrated here. Not that he can't become a very good LB, just that he hasn't done anything to deserve all the praise he is getting here. It's amazing how alot of these same people dog on Barnett for his bad tackling, when Poppinga had a bit of that going last year also.

As far a Lee goes, I think he has much more upside than Martin. I hope Martin gets cut. I'd rather give Alcorn a chance. Martin will never work out in GB. Lee, on the other hand, IMO, if healthy, will have a better year than Bubba. In fact, I think that Bubba is more overrated than Lee here.

I hope that Beach continues to shine in the last two preseason games, and in practice, so that they have to let Nejeh go, or better yet, make a trade for Nejeh. They are both bruisers, but Beach seems to have better acceleration and explosiveness. I love Nejeh on 3rd and 1, but Beach can be just as effective in short yardage, with the possibility of breaking one.

There is a story on the front page of Packerchatters talking about how impressive Carlton Brewster is looking in camp, and we will be giving him an opportunity to return kicks Monday night. I sure hope that someone steps up in this role, because I'm tired of seeing Nejeh back there returning kicks.

Scott Campbell
08-26-2006, 12:31 PM
Who's number one?

I'm of the belief that you have to find a way to get your best players on the field. In that spirit, I still think it should be Hawk, Hodge and Barnett. If they aren't the best three yet, they will be shortly. Or so I've been led to believe.

Truthfully, Hodge gets so much press that I want him to start just so I can see what all they hype is about.