PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland Browns @ Lambeau Week 7 Discussion

pbmax
10-16-2013, 07:22 PM
Wednesday Practice:

Mike Neal and Ryan Taylor were newly not practicing along with known goldbricks James Starks, linebackers Clay Matthews, Nick Perry and dengue fever, and receiver James Jones.

Neal has a shoulder and is scheduled to practice tomorrow with another evaluation Friday.

Taylor as you may know cleverly hid his knee injury from the crack Packer medical staff for a couple of days and had an arthroscopic procedure done today. McCarthy expects Taylor back on the early end of a 2-4 week absence because TEs all have the ability to quick heal. In other medical news

Derek Sherrod popped off PUP and practiced today to begin a slow ascent to reclaim the left tackle position that is clearly his birthright. Which means, of course, that Barclay will be injured versus the Browns and Sherrod will take over the Newhouse at RT in Week 12.

Tretter, Richardson and Worthy have not been cleared from PUP because the trainers are worried they all actually have ACL tears and not hamstring injuries. Perhaps the Packer medical forms need to be updated from 1953, when the only injuries listed were: hamstring, shingles, polio and dengue fever. McKenzie has just been checking the old item CLOSEST to the physical location of the actual injury.

That would explain the shingles outbreak of 1988, when 20 players were diagnosed with the virus normally associated with older adults. McKenzie was actually just indicating they each had a sunburn from the sunny and drought plagued Wisconsin summer.

pbmax
10-16-2013, 07:30 PM
Roster-wise, the Browns are stuck with Charles Johnson for 3 weeks.

Stoneburner and Myles White were promoted to the 53. Tyrone Walker was added to the PS along with WR Reggie Dunn and ILB Victor Aiyewa.

mraynrand
10-16-2013, 08:00 PM
Cleveland is in an uproar over Joss Wheeden. This firefly (oops pop culture reference, I guess that belongs in RR, ban me) apparently cannot manage the game and exploit the tight end like Steny Hoyer (oops, political reference, gosh I'm sorry, ban me). Fans fail to recell that the defense failed to force a punt in the second half when Detroit scored 24 points (the D did get a pick and force a FG try). Is Wheeden terrible? Well, he ain't great. He can toss a nice deep ball to Gordon, but lacks vision and accuracy in the short game. Hangs onto primary read so long that he gets sacked and/or misses opportunity for open second targets. He can play well though, and Gordon and STs are a threat. Defense can keep Browns in game. They are solid agains the run, generate pretty good pass rush, and can plaster a #1 receiver, while the LBs are fast and lively tacklers. Defensively, they are a great matchup for the beat up Packers: CB Haden can shut down Nelson, the LBs can keep up with Finley, and along with D-line (DT Phil Taylor) can stuff the run game. Rodgers will have to exploit Boykin and (other TE?) for Packers O to have a chance. I see a low-scoring, FG heavy game. Packer actually have the better FG kicker, since forever a Brown Phil Dawson defected to SF.

Patler
10-16-2013, 10:21 PM
... CB Haden can shut down Nelson, ...

BLASPHEMY ! !

pbmax
10-16-2013, 10:40 PM
I don't think Tretter will be back this season (from Wilde at ESPN Wisconsin):

“I’m getting close to being able to run full-speed. (The next step would be) cutting and planting and all that stuff,” Tretter said. “You can haunt yourself with what-ifs, but I try to avoid what-if situations and what could have been. That’s not going to help you. You’re never going to feel better thinking about the what-ifs. So I haven’t thought about it. All I’ve focused on is getting the ankle back to 100 percent, and it’s getting there.”

http://www.espnwisconsin.com/page.php?page_id=278

run pMc
10-17-2013, 08:11 AM
Putting Van Rot(t)en on IR makes me wonder if they expect Tretter to come back and play? Then again, if he broke his ankle, tore a bunch of ligaments, and is barely off crutches they might want to IR him and hope the OL stays healthy.

run pMc
10-17-2013, 08:21 AM
With Weeden vs. Rodgers at QB, GB should win this game. The injuries will make it a much tougher game though. CLE's defense will keep them in the game but if Weeden is pressured/uncomfortable in the pocket the offense doesn't have a lot of weapons. This team is easily a step or two down from the Ravens, and GB get them at Lambeau.
Haden is a good CB and will limit Nelson's chances, and Finley is good for a drop or two, so Boykin et al. will have to come up big in the passing game, and Lacy will be the focus in the run game. McCarthy is going to have to be clever in his schemes to move the ball consistently.

hoosier
10-17-2013, 08:26 AM
Do Weeden's limitations still show up when he has time to throw? If not, I am a little worried about the Packers ability to get consistent pressure minus Matthews, Perry and with a possibly banged up Neal. Mike Daniels and Raji need to collapse, and at least one of the LBs needs to play out of his head this week for the Packers to avoid a dog fight.

Maxie the Taxi
10-17-2013, 08:53 AM
Do Weeden's limitations still show up when he has time to throw? If not, I am a little worried about the Packers ability to get consistent pressure minus Matthews, Perry and with a possibly banged up Neal. Mike Daniels and Raji need to collapse, and at least one of the LBs needs to play out of his head this week for the Packers to avoid a dog fight.

No worries. We have Hawk. Also, I predict Mulumba is going to have a breakout game. Three sacks, minimum. With Hawk's three, that makes six.

pbmax
10-17-2013, 09:18 AM

The book on Weeden, posted by someone else in another thread (KY I think) is that his arm is fine but if he needs to come off his number 1 read, it happens slowly and not accurately.

KYPack
10-17-2013, 09:57 AM
The book on Weeden, posted by someone else in another thread (KY I think) is that his arm is fine but if he needs to come off his number 1 read, it happens slowly and not accurately.

Twern't me.

I am too busy focusing on my own team's deficient MRI equipment.

Brown's fans are pretty hilarious.

This guy posted a job on Craigslist to find the Brownies a QB....

Hello, and thanks for reading.
Have you played pro football? College ball? Highschool? Pee-wee?
Have you played Madden before?
Do you sort of kind of know some of the rules of football? If yes keep reading. If no...well also keep reading! We will take ANYONE. This could turn into a regular gig for the right person.
The Cleveland Browns as you may have noticed are having problems scoring points on offense consistently. We are deciding that we actually want to win this year and that we have a real shot at it too. 3 wins in 6 games!? We were expecting maybe 1/3 of those wins for the whole year, but SOMEHOW we have a shot still. Here's the thing...our defense is sick nasty, but we've got problems under center...well one problem. Brandon Weeden. If you're sick of seeing desperation heaves to the sidelines, countless sacks after superb coverage, and underhanded lightly tossed interceptions in the 4th quarter then please come apply! If you can throw a ball, come apply! If you can't, come anyway! We can teach you the basics....throwing the ball to the guy who has the same color shirt as you. Throwing the ball reasonably close to a receiver that's WIDE OPEN, throwing the ball more than 3 yards on 3rd and 16. Think you got what it takes? Come on down! You're the next contestant on Cleveland Quarterbacks!
Please no redheads, people named Brett, or any U. Of Florida alum.
76 Lou Groza Blvd. (google map) (yahoo map)
•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
•Compensation: Approx. $125,000 per week.

You gotta feel a little sorry for the inmates at the Factory of Sadness.

Upnorth
10-17-2013, 10:02 AM
With our banged up offence against an average Cleveland defence (average since they have played a relativley easy schedual) it is a push to maybe even our advantage.
With their O vrs our D there is no competition. Even with the d injuries we have the edge and I think our dbacks will look quite good this weekend.

Just wanted to add one thing, was looking at this and two things struck me, we are a big favorite to beat the browns, but also the giants are huge favorites to beat minny and that makes me laugh!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/17/sports/football/week-7-nfl-probabilities-jets-over-patriots.html?_r=0&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1382023472-j28dR9eZ12SlaoYgJQaSOA

Joemailman
10-17-2013, 06:27 PM
All these injuries, especially at the LB positions could play havoc with the Packers coverage units. Browns haven't done much with KO returns, but they're 4th in punt returns, and have returned 1 for a TD. Kick 'em high Tim!

packer4life
10-17-2013, 06:46 PM
With our banged up offence against an average Cleveland defence

Shudders.

It's DEFENSE and OFFENSE.

That is all.

red
10-17-2013, 06:57 PM
we have only one reliable guy that can catch the ball. if they can take away jordy then they take away out passing attack. i have no faith in finley or boykins right now

we need lacy to pound the ball down their throats, and we need the defense to play as hard as they did last week. we're gonna need plenty of corner and safety blitzes to make up for the lack of OLB's we have

i think its gonna be a tough win, but a win we can get

CaptainKickass
10-17-2013, 08:01 PM
Shudders.

It's DEFENSE and OFFENSE.

That is all.

Welcome -

Yes it is I - General Grammar - here for today's episode of...

"Be a kick-ass wordsmith motherfucker and don't totally suck at English"

Now - if you want to KNOW the truth about which versions of offense/offence and defense/defence are truly correct - you'll just have to click the links below because I - General Grammar - wouldn't be an adequate teacher if I did all the fucking work for you now would I? Hmm?

No, I - General Grammar - certainly would not.

Now - I've been sure to include what I - General Grammar - believe are enticing tidbits from the lessons found on the links provided below. This was done to pique your interest as well as reward the author for using cool words and shit, like "chagrin" for example.

Bear (not bare!) in mind that I went to an apparent great deal of trouble, just to find and provide this valuable information for you my "special" pupils, and the amount I'm getting paid to do so really doesn't match up to the public service I - General Grammar - am providing. So please be sure to investigate both.

Kind regards,

~General Grammar

Offense vs offence

"Regardless of spelling, the word is usually pronounced OFF-fence in sports-related contexts, and off-FENCE in all other contexts. There’s no good reason for this difference. Blame sports commentators."

Source: http://bit.ly/19Vv35l

Defence vs defense

"Today, to the chagrin of those who dislike American English, the spelling is gaining ground throughout the English-speaking world."

Source: http://bit.ly/19VvfBw

:butt:

red
10-17-2013, 08:07 PM
well i prefer the queens english not the american bastardized version

pbmax
10-17-2013, 08:08 PM
Derek Sherrod's Recovery (http://www.packersnews.com/article/20131017/PKR0101/131017016?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

At this point, we should name this complex an injury and recovery the Flanagan Timeline. Would save everyone a lot of worrying.

Last year when Sherrod came off PUP less than a year removed from surgery on a broken lower leg, he was noticeably gimpy running from drill to drill and clearly at far less than full strength. In fact, the Packers placed him on injured reserve after two weeks of practice in '12 even though he was eligible to practice for a third week if they’d wanted.

This season, Sherrod practiced for the first time Wednesday, and then in Thursday’s padded practice took part in all drills during the portion of practice open to reporters, including the physical half-line run-game period. He no longer runs with a limp and appeared to be moving OK during drills.

pbmax
10-17-2013, 08:25 PM
MM Presser:

Neal is getting the full week to qualify to play, even of practice tomorrow does not go as hoped. Apparently a game day decision.

Bush was full participant, Hayward was limited. James Jones hasn't practiced yet and it will be "close", which sounds like no.

Matthews, Perry, Starks and Taylor are OUT.

No details on Brad Jones and his hamstring/ACL/PCL/quad pull/shin splints/varicose veins.

pbmax
10-17-2013, 11:18 PM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 1h
And the #Packers get Jeff Triplette. RT @footballzebras: We have the weekend referee assignments up. http://refs.ws/4q

That is at least two personal foul penalties guaranteed right there. And both will be wrong.

pittstang5
10-18-2013, 06:13 AM
And the #Packers get Jeff Triplette. RT @footballzebras: We have the weekend referee assignments up. http://refs.ws/4q

That is at least two personal foul penalties guaranteed right there. And both will be wrong.

Don't forget numerous, ticky-tacky holding calls - offense and defense. Triplette's crew is notorious for this.

CaptainKickass
10-18-2013, 02:29 PM

I'll just leave this right here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY

HarveyWallbangers
10-18-2013, 03:10 PM

Yuck. Probably my least favorite crew. Hopefully, we get a lot of home cooking. We might need it this week.

red
10-18-2013, 04:06 PM
probably my second least favorite crew, ranked only behind my old asshole college prof ron winters

mmmdk
10-18-2013, 05:49 PM
well i prefer the queens english not the american bastardized version

Good show, old [red] chap!

pbmax
10-18-2013, 07:54 PM
probably my second least favorite crew, ranked only behind my old asshole college prof ron winters

Hold on. I thought we liked Winters. Can you name some dumb things he has done so I can prepare to dislike him?

red
10-18-2013, 08:14 PM
Hold on. I thought we liked Winters. Can you name some dumb things he has done so I can prepare to dislike him?

you guys might like him, i hate. one of the most arrogant egotistical pricks i ever met, at when i had him he had only been officiating one year

his class was an easy A though. you just pretty much had to show up sober

i do remember his teachers assistant was hot as balls though, me and every other guy and some chicks were trying to drill her nonstop

pbmax
10-18-2013, 08:34 PM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 4h
Browns promote two guys from practice squad, including the well-traveled Tori Gurley http://wp.me/p14QSB-9j6Y

pbmax
10-18-2013, 08:37 PM
Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 4h
Updated at #Packers Insiders Blog: Packers claim WR Harper; cut rookie RB Michael Hill http://pck.rs/15PfzOL

Michael Hill is gone. So Lacy, Franklin, Kuhn are the RBs. Would this mean that Franklin is not returning kicks you think?

KYPack
10-18-2013, 10:01 PM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 4h
Browns promote two guys from practice squad, including the well-traveled Tori Gurley http://wp.me/p14QSB-9j6Y

Since Gurley was with us last season, he has been on 7 team's PS!

He has about two weeks NFL service, all with the Browns before they cut him the last time.

I was accidently watching the Brown's game & saw the play that got him cut.

He ran a mirror route with the other Brown's WR and caused the play to fuck up.

A Brown's asst coach yanked him from the game and ripped him a new asshole on the sideline.

Monday, he was cut.

I think the kid's goal is to play on every NFL team's PS.

Pugger
10-18-2013, 11:22 PM
Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 4h
Updated at #Packers Insiders Blog: Packers claim WR Harper; cut rookie RB Michael Hill http://pck.rs/15PfzOL

Michael Hill is gone. So Lacy, Franklin, Kuhn are the RBs. Would this mean that Franklin is not returning kicks you think?

Can we put Hill back on the PS if he clears waivers?

pbmax
10-19-2013, 07:55 AM
Can we put Hill back on the PS if he clears waivers?

Yes, he is still eligible.

Joemailman
10-19-2013, 05:58 PM

He has about two weeks NFL service, all with the Browns before they cut him the last time.

A Brown's asst coach yanked him from the game and ripped him a new asshole on the sideline.

Monday, he was cut.

No wonder he ran the wrong route. He forgot which team he was on.

Fosco33
10-19-2013, 11:44 PM
I'll be there in person - sporting my throwback Arodg jersey on their 3rd jersey day. Scored tix from a friend - should be fun as I won't have to leave so fucking early for the drive from SE sconnie.

pbmax
10-20-2013, 09:15 AM
I'll be there in person - sporting my throwback Arodg jersey on their 3rd jersey day. Scored tix from a friend - should be fun as I won't have to leave so fucking early for the drive from SE sconnie.

Hello Fosco and welcome back!

Have a great time at the game.

red
10-20-2013, 09:17 AM
oh man, is this throw back jersey day?

man i hate those. it least they won't be wearing those shit brown helmets

Pugger
10-20-2013, 09:23 AM

Monday, he was cut.

I think the kid's goal is to play on every NFL team's PS. :lol:

I'm beginning to believe this kid is one of those guys who looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane.

Pugger
10-20-2013, 09:25 AM
oh man, is this throw back jersey day?

man i hate those. it least they won't be wearing those shit brown helmets

But I remember guys saying last year they love these beige pants! :lol: I appreciate what these blue jerseys represent, however. They are a tribute to our first championship team so they are cool if you look at them like that.

Patler
10-23-2013, 10:41 AM

Monday, he was cut.

...and now he has been cut AGAIN by Cleveland. So far this year they have:

signed him to the off-season roster
waived him during camp
signed him to the PS
promoted him to the active roster
waived him
signed him to the PS
promoted him to the active roster
waived him

Does he make it back to their PS again?

Fritz
10-23-2013, 01:52 PM
He's the cheap slut you don't want to bring home to Mom but just can't leave alone.