PDA

View Full Version : Cheap decent MP3 player

red
08-25-2006, 08:32 PM
anyone have any they would recomend?

i'm not looking for anything fancy, just something around 512 mb and about 50-75 bucks

i've been seeing some by sandisk that are getting pretty good ratings

anybody have any ideas?

retailguy
08-25-2006, 08:38 PM

i'm not looking for anything fancy, just something around 512 mb and about 50-75 bucks

anybody have any ideas?

I bought my wife a Zen Neeon - 6gb and she loves it. You can get a refurb on ebay from creative for about 129...

More expensive, I know, but it's a hard drive not a flash, and it's worth the extra.

red
08-25-2006, 08:49 PM
yeah i'm having a problem if i just want to get something like 512 or just spend a little more and go full bore with one of the big ones. because it really doesn't cost much to get a whole lot more

the thing is i really don't need that much room. if i got a 6 or 10 gb one i'd wear out the skip button just trying to get to a song i want to listen too at that time

i figured with 512 i could get 100 or 150 of my very favorite songs on there and i wouldn't have to skip around as much

but with a bigger one i could almost fit my whole cd collection on there, which would be kind of nice

i don't know

has she had any problems at all with it, how small is it?

retailguy
08-25-2006, 08:52 PM

None. It works really well. Has FM I think and records voice also.

It is about the size of a credit card, and about 1/2 of an inch thick. Might weigh 10 ounces.

The only drawback is it does not come with a charger, you "charge" the battery via the USB. A minor pain, but not enough to spend 29.95 on the ac adapter.

red
08-25-2006, 08:54 PM
yeah, thats not too much of a pain

i'll have to look into this one, thanks

Partial
08-25-2006, 08:56 PM
yeah i'm having a problem if i just want to get something like 512 or just spend a little more and go full bore with one of the big ones. because it really doesn't cost much to get a whole lot more

the thing is i really don't need that much room. if i got a 6 or 10 gb one i'd wear out the skip button just trying to get to a song i want to listen too at that time

i figured with 512 i could get 100 or 150 of my very favorite songs on there and i wouldn't have to skip around as much

but with a bigger one i could almost fit my whole cd collection on there, which would be kind of nice

i don't know

try and find an iPod nano on craigs list. They prolly go for like 85 on there.

AtlPackFan
08-25-2006, 09:22 PM

anybody have any ideas?

I have a Sandisk Sansa...fells a little cheap but it has worked out really well. I bought a 2GB model..I have no idea why...I'm using maybe 700MB of it. I had an iPod but it gave it to my son...the Sandisk does FM radio, the iPod didn't.

I think you might be able to find the 1 GB model in that price range.

GBRulz
08-25-2006, 10:00 PM
red, you had mentioned about possibly putting your whole CD collection on your player.....

That is exactly what I did. I have a 30GIG iPod and I absolutely love it. My entire CD collection is on there. So, what did I do with the 300+ CD's that I had? I sold them on Ebay and made enough money to buy 5 iPods.

Sure, I have 3000 songs on my iPod, but you can create playlists and categorize your collection.

The top reason why i like my iPod over the other MP3 players that I have owned is the accessories. There are more gadgets for that thing than any other MP3 player. More and more cars are being made with iPod compatible stereos, too.

You can buy an airport wireless card from apple and play the music through any stereo in the house. I bought a Bose Sound Dock and put it in the kitchen....my Ipod hardly ever leaves there.

One more thing about the Ipods.....podcasting. There are literally thousands of podcasts (free shows in a sense) for just about any topic that you can think of. For example, I subscribe to PhotoShop TV, the official Packers podcast and something from Comedy Central. Podcasts come in both audio and video format.

Gosh, i sound like a freaken sales rep for Apple..

Retail price of the 30GIG Video ipod $299

Partial
08-26-2006, 12:13 AM
red, you had mentioned about possibly putting your whole CD collection on your player.....

That is exactly what I did. I have a 30GIG iPod and I absolutely love it. My entire CD collection is on there. So, what did I do with the 300+ CD's that I had? I sold them on Ebay and made enough money to buy 5 iPods.

Sure, I have 3000 songs on my iPod, but you can create playlists and categorize your collection.

The top reason why i like my iPod over the other MP3 players that I have owned is the accessories. There are more gadgets for that thing than any other MP3 player. More and more cars are being made with iPod compatible stereos, too.

You can buy an airport wireless card from apple and play the music through any stereo in the house. I bought a Bose Sound Dock and put it in the kitchen....my Ipod hardly ever leaves there.

One more thing about the Ipods.....podcasting. There are literally thousands of podcasts (free shows in a sense) for just about any topic that you can think of. For example, I subscribe to PhotoShop TV, the official Packers podcast and something from Comedy Central. Podcasts come in both audio and video format.

Gosh, i sound like a freaken sales rep for Apple..

Retail price of the 30GIG Video ipod $299

gotta love the iPod. They should have new iPods coming out at the end of September, so if you're looking to buy I would wait.

Zool
08-26-2006, 01:14 AM

i don't know

try and find an iPod nano on craigs list. They prolly go for like 85 on there. I assume you mean a Shuffle for $85? The 1G is under $100 i believe.

Partial
08-26-2006, 01:57 AM
Nah, everything is uber cheap on craigs list

red
08-26-2006, 08:28 AM
thanks everyone for the info. someday i'll probably step up to one of the big guys, like the 30 gb ipod. you can sell it to me then GBM lol. i already tried selling all my cd's once, but they wouldn't take them saying they were all too scratched. it seems my cd player in my car likes to leave little marks on my cds. so i'm stuck with them, even the ones i haven't listened to in 15 years. plus i don't know if i want everything from every cd on there, out of 250-300 cd's a lot of them might only have 2 or 3 songs i actually like

anybody have any ideas?

I have a Sandisk Sansa...fells a little cheap but it has worked out really well. I bought a 2GB model..I have no idea why...I'm using maybe 700MB of it. I had an iPod but it gave it to my son...the Sandisk does FM radio, the iPod didn't.

I think you might be able to find the 1 GB model in that price range.

yeah, its the sansa (i think) that i'm looking at. the 512 model i just found out is on sale for $40 at the evil wal mart. but for $40 who cares right? if i like it great, if i hate it, i'm only out 40 bucks. i read about it feeling cheap, but as long as it holds up, thats the main thing

i checked out craigs list partial and didn't see anything real close, or super cheap. and i really don't like buying things used unless i can screw with it first to make sure it works right.

GBRulz
08-26-2006, 08:48 AM
gotta love the iPod. They should have new iPods coming out at the end of September, so if you're looking to buy I would wait.

I don't mean to to call you out and say you're wrong. But well, you're wrong :wink:

The next release of the iPod won't be out until possibly mid 2007. It is going to feature a widescreen format and also will be a touchscreen. They are currently experiencing problems with the battery life and have been testing out the flash drive format instead of the current hard drive they have now.

There MAY possibly be a replacement out for the Nano in Decemeber though

BananaMan
08-27-2006, 01:45 PM
red-

i had similar thoughts as you. i bought a 128mb rca lycra from walmart a couple years ago for cheap, thinking i could just put some of my favorite songs on there.

i ended up buying a new one in about 3 months. iPod nano, 2GB. that lasted me a long time, but now i'm thinking about upgrading to a Video, simply because my music library has tripled since buying the nano.

i hacked my nano and now it plays video, but it's impossible to have a respectable music collection and a video or two with only 2GB of space.

so i'd highly advise you to buy big right off the bat. 20GB+.

eBay, Amazon.com, and Tigerdirect.com are some places I'd recommend if you're looking for iPod's/mp3 players.

retailguy
08-27-2006, 01:52 PM
red-

i had similar thoughts as you. i bought a 128mb rca lycra from walmart a couple years ago for cheap, thinking i could just put some of my favorite songs on there.

i ended up buying a new one in about 3 months. iPod nano, 2GB. that lasted me a long time, but now i'm thinking about upgrading to a Video, simply because my music library has tripled since buying the nano.

i hacked my nano and now it plays video, but it's impossible to have a respectable music collection and a video or two with only 2GB of space.

so i'd highly advise you to buy big right off the bat. 20GB+.

eBay, Amazon.com, and Tigerdirect.com are some places I'd recommend if you're looking for iPod's/mp3 players.

Why don't you just sell your nano to Red? Then get your upgrade....

digitaldean
08-27-2006, 02:13 PM
If you are looking for the various deals on MP3 players here are a couple sites to check out:
spoofee.com
gotapex.com
gottadeal.com

I have found several really good deals off of these sites.

Rastak
08-27-2006, 03:15 PM
I had to return two sandiscs so I ended up getting an iriver which has been flawless.

GBRulz
08-27-2006, 04:26 PM
question for those of you who don't have iPods....how do you buy new music?

red
08-27-2006, 04:35 PM
I had to return two sandiscs so I ended up getting an iriver which has been flawless.

well damnit, i was just about to go get one. wallmart has the 512mb sandick for $40 right now

thanks for posting that rastak

red
08-27-2006, 04:36 PM

buy music?

whats that?

GBRulz
08-27-2006, 04:45 PM
If i want entire albums, I'll buy them off iTunes, but if I just want a single, I might go borrow one off Limewire :wink:

red
08-27-2006, 04:52 PM
well if i want a whole album i'll just go buy the cd, it should be around the same price as downloading each sonf at 99 cents each

i actually use to buy a ton of used cd's. they work just as well but you can get em for 5 or 6 bucks

i kind of like the idea of having a real backup in case the computer or the mp3 player hits the shitter

i really haven't "borrowed" that many songs to be honest

Rastak
08-27-2006, 05:44 PM

buy music?

whats that?

What he said,.....

GBRulz
08-27-2006, 07:23 PM
well if i want a whole album i'll just go buy the cd, it should be around the same price as downloading each sonf at 99 cents each

i actually use to buy a ton of used cd's. they work just as well but you can get em for 5 or 6 bucks

i kind of like the idea of having a real backup in case the computer or the mp3 player hits the shitter

i really haven't "borrowed" that many songs to be honest

to be honest, I don't even know what a new CD goes for now? 14, 15 bucks? complete albums are usually $10 on itunes, so it's a little cheaper.

retailguy
08-27-2006, 08:56 PM

buy music?

whats that?

Limewire PRO?

Scott Campbell
08-27-2006, 09:10 PM
My MP3 player is built into my Treo 650 cell phone. It works great for me, and the phone supports 4gig SD cards so I can get quite a few songs on there.

I think the most important feature of ANY player is getting a good set of headphones. Stock headphones are usually pretty mediocre. I use Shure e2c's, but I'd love to have a pair of the Etymotic ER-4P's.

retailguy
08-27-2006, 09:25 PM
My MP3 player is built into my Treo 650 cell phone. It works great for me, and the phone supports 4gig SD cards so I can get quite a few songs on there.

I think the most important feature of ANY player is getting a good set of headphones. Stock headphones are usually pretty mediocre. I use Shure e2c's, but I'd love to have a pair of the Etymotic ER-4P's.

Do you like the Treo? I've been trying to decide between it and the Samsung A900. Tough call.

GBRulz
08-28-2006, 07:19 AM
Limewire PRO?

yes, sir

Scott Campbell
08-28-2006, 08:31 AM
Do you like the Treo? I've been trying to decide between it and the Samsung A900. Tough call.

I love it. Email works well. Phone works great. Bluetooth headset works pretty well. Synchs to Outlook contacts over the air. Speakerphone works well. Voice recognition works well. And then there's all the Palm applications you can get for it if you want.

The new 700P is out, but I hear they are still a little unstable. My guess is they'll release firmware soon to address it. That's what happened with my 650.

The 700's have EVDO, which means pretty fast and usable web surfing. You can also connect via bluetooth to a laptop and get a pretty fast connection. They've also got a decent 1.2MP camera which is up from the VGA camera on the 650's.

Fosco33
08-28-2006, 08:51 AM
I have a Creative Zen Nano - you can get them in 512 or 1G for b/w 60-100 bucks. It has a nice little memo and AM/FM plus the other shit that no one uses (memo recorders, etc).

It works for me and I use it all the time.

Partial
08-28-2006, 08:56 AM
I have a 4GB iPod Nano (green) . I'm not one of those hardcore dorky iPod guys, I bought it because I am a mac user and that is the easiest route to take. I rarely use it, but when I do I am happy with the quality. The user interface is by far the best of any MP3 player out there, and of course its trendy since Grandparents know what they are now. The stock headphones are alright, not great but far from terrible. I recommend ditching them for a different stlye of headphone so you aren't robbed. That has been a big problem in some cities. 4GB is about the right size since any bigger seems like overkill, and this lets you put a boatload of good music on it for whatever your mood may be. Maybe a 2GB player would be a little better.

I download most of my music over bit-torrent as MP3 or AAC files.

GBRulz
08-28-2006, 04:55 PM
I have a 4GB iPod Nano (green) . I'm not one of those hardcore dorky iPod guys, I bought it because I am a mac user

Oh, so you are one of those dorky Mac guys. :razz: