PDA

View Full Version : Packers vs. Browns - Studs and Duds

run pMc
10-20-2013, 08:35 PM
Studs

Rodgers -- made chicken salad out of you know what. Liked that he dumped the ball off to Lacy or threw the ball away. Except for taking a bad sack that cost a Crosby FG, and missing Franklin in the end zone played a pretty good game against a tough defense in tricky weather.

House -- had a pick and a couple of pass deflections. Thought he played physical and confident.

Lacy -- the stats aren't as good as last week, but he got a Lambeau TD, plus showed some of the best vision and patience since...I can't recall. Caught the ball well too.

Boykin -- someone needed to step up to help out Jordy, and Boykin really did. Rodgers targeted him a bunch and he came through with some big plays. If Jones can come back for next week's game they look to have 3 legit WR's.

Duds

OLine -- The Browns D is legit (they're top 10) so that was part of it, but Lacy had a lot of runs where he'd get 4 yards out of nothing, and Rodgers had to do a lot of work to extend plays. Had a few penalties that hurt as well.

Jeff Triplette and crew - 'nuff said.

Unsung Hero(es)
DLine - I thought they played pretty good, applied a little pressure, effectively shut down a not-very-good CLE running game, and allowed the rookie OLB's to play with some confidence.

pittstang5
10-20-2013, 08:40 PM
Stud - Mike Daniels

ThunderDan
10-20-2013, 08:40 PM
Got to add Hawk and Lattimore to the studs list. Both had 12 tackles and Lattimore had a sack.

Joemailman
10-20-2013, 08:45 PM
Finley had 5 catches for 72 yards and a TD - Stud

digitaldean
10-20-2013, 08:53 PM
Stud - Finley, Rodgers, Lattimore, house
Duds - Special teams coverage, Masthay's, Triplette

pbmax
10-20-2013, 09:02 PM
Banjo. Soon to be starting stud.

Brandon494
10-20-2013, 09:06 PM
Got to add Hawk and Lattimore to the studs list. Both had 12 tackles and Lattimore had a sack.

Lattimore yes, Hawk no....both had 12 tackles but Lattimore had 9 solo tackles while Hawk only had 2. Group tackles look good on the stat sheet but he didn't really stand out during the game.

red
10-20-2013, 09:06 PM
Finley had 5 catches for 72 yards and a TD - Stud

yup, he had it switched on to beast mode until he got hurt. his TD showed the type of effort that you'd love to see from him on every play

red
10-20-2013, 09:07 PM
Lattimore yes, Hawk no....both had 12 tackles but Lattimore had 9 solo tackles while Hawk only had 2. Group tackles look good on the stat sheet but he didn't really stand out during the game.

hawk also had a pretty big pass deflection later in the game

you just hate white players don't you?

Brandon494
10-20-2013, 09:08 PM
God damn you guys are turning me back into a Hawk hater :satan:

ThunderDan
10-20-2013, 09:08 PM

Hawk was all over the field. I know you hate him but he has played like a Pro Bowl LB the last two weeks.

red
10-20-2013, 09:09 PM
Banjo. Soon to be starting stud.

i'm a bit surprised it hasn't happened already. mcmillen and jennings haven't exactly been lighting up the world

i wonder if his height is holding his advance to starter up and all. height discrimination

red
10-20-2013, 09:10 PM
Hawk was all over the field. I know you hate him but he has played like a Pro Bowl LB the last two weeks.

it wouldn't shock me if he does make the pro bowl at this rate

Joemailman
10-20-2013, 09:11 PM

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3kjzh78tt1qmiw1go1_500.gif

pbmax
10-20-2013, 09:12 PM

I'll give you that solo tackles are important, but even solo tackles aren't proof positive of good D play. Hawk has made a difference this year after years of simply plugging holes.

Brandon494
10-20-2013, 09:14 PM

I didn't say he played bad but I'm not putting the guy on the stud list just for doing his job. Last week yes he was a stud but what did he do so special today? 2 solo tackles and no impact plays...I always give credit where credit is due but I don't over hype a player just because I like him.

Brandon494
10-20-2013, 09:16 PM
I'll give you that solo tackles are important, but even solo tackles aren't proof positive of good D play. Hawk has made a difference this year after years of simply plugging holes.

Hes having great start to the season no doubt but just don't have him on my stud list this week.

red
10-20-2013, 09:19 PM
I didn't say he played bad but I'm not putting the guy on the stud list just for doing his job.

well that i can agree with

good game, not great

pbmax
10-20-2013, 09:26 PM
Duds - Rodgers. Still terrible at close games and 4th Quarter comebacks.

red
10-20-2013, 09:29 PM
Studs

Rodgers -- made chicken salad out of you know what. Liked that he dumped the ball off to Lacy or threw the ball away. Except for taking a bad sack that cost a Crosby FG, and missing Franklin in the end zone played a pretty good game against a tough defense in tricky weather.

House -- had a pick and a couple of pass deflections. Thought he played physical and confident.

Lacy -- the stats aren't as good as last week, but he got a Lambeau TD, plus showed some of the best vision and patience since...I can't recall. Caught the ball well too.

Boykin -- someone needed to step up to help out Jordy, and Boykin really did. Rodgers targeted him a bunch and he came through with some big plays. If Jones can come back for next week's game they look to have 3 legit WR's.

Duds

OLine -- The Browns D is legit (they're top 10) so that was part of it, but Lacy had a lot of runs where he'd get 4 yards out of nothing, and Rodgers had to do a lot of work to extend plays. Had a few penalties that hurt as well.

Unsung Hero(es)
DLine - I thought they played pretty good, applied a little pressure, effectively shut down a not-very-good CLE running game, and allowed the rookie OLB's to play with some confidence.

shouldn't special teams and slocum be in the duds list?

or are we all just assuming they're always going to be on there so why bother typing it out again every week?

Bretsky
10-20-2013, 09:40 PM
hawk also had a pretty big pass deflection later in the game

you just hate white players don't you?

Hawk also had a key pressure....forced the QB to step up and that led to a sack. He played well

Harlan Huckleby
10-20-2013, 09:52 PM
The big dud on the field was the Cleveland Browns offense.

Andy Mulumba and Nate Palmer look like practice squad players to me. That tells me that the rest of the Packers defense must be very studly, or the Browns offense is awesome dudly.

channtheman
10-20-2013, 10:10 PM
You guys feel Rodgers did enough to be a stud? I love him like we all do but...

Does a stud take a sack that costs you 3 points to go up 3 possessions (though thankfully the Browns coaching staff is from the deep south where they don't take math classes "cuz they's hawd" and didn't realize that 11-3 = 8 and a ONE possession game)?

I think in the OP you already gave 2 good reasons Rodgers doesn't deserve stud status this game.

channtheman
10-20-2013, 10:11 PM
The big dud on the field was the Cleveland Browns offense.

Andy Mulumba and Nate Palmer look like practice squad players to me. That tells me that the rest of the Packers defense must be very studly, or the Browns offense is awesome dudly.

And hell yeah to that. If Weeden wasn't overthrowing his receiver by a mile, his receivers were dropping easy passes. They had the one really sweet TD pass later in the game to keep Browns fans wondering where that is all the time, but for the vast majority of the game, they were terrible.

run pMc
10-21-2013, 08:03 AM
Special teams and especially Masthay was a Dud. I hope that was just an aberration.
ST's were impacted by the injuries and new faces. If they don't improve, they'll lose a game. They have Corderelle Patterson and Devin Hester returning KO's in the next two weeks.

Pugger
10-21-2013, 08:17 AM
shouldn't special teams and slocum be in the duds list?

or are we all just assuming they're always going to be on there so why bother typing it out again every week?

We all have no use for Slocum but with all of our injuries ST will be affected because of guys moving up to starting positions.

Pugger
10-21-2013, 08:18 AM
You guys feel Rodgers did enough to be a stud? I love him like we all do but...

Does a stud take a sack that costs you 3 points to go up 3 possessions (though thankfully the Browns coaching staff is from the deep south where they don't take math classes "cuz they's hawd" and didn't realize that 11-3 = 8 and a ONE possession game)?

I think in the OP you already gave 2 good reasons Rodgers doesn't deserve stud status this game.

When you consider Aaron not having Jones, Cobb and then later Finley I submit Rodgers had a pretty good day.

Joemailman
10-21-2013, 08:32 AM
When you consider Aaron not having Jones, Cobb and then later Finley I submit Rodgers had a pretty good day.

Nah. Rodgers would be nothing without Jarrett Boykin. :smile:

70% completion rate and 3 TD passes on a rainy day probably overrides taking a sack with a 17-3 lead.

denverYooper
10-21-2013, 08:34 AM
House had a pretty good day.

Fritz
10-21-2013, 08:54 AM
House had a pretty good day.

Yes he did. The Packers haven't had a physical corner since Al Harris.

Micah Hyde made some nice plays, but not enough to get on the studs list.

I would submit that the offensive tackles, especially Barclay, were duds. The middle of the line played well enough (and is Josh Sitton turning into a big fatty?), but Barc and Bahk got pushed around like the proverbial 98 pound weakling.

Boykin played big, too. And Rodgers was good. He made a couple mistakes, but he's human. He didn't turn it over on a day that a turnover was the Browns' best chance.

D-line played well, but Mulumba was invisible. Nate Palmer made a play or two, but nothing amazing.

And John Kuhn is so not talented. My god, when can they replace him? Can't they find someone who is as assignment-sure who has some modicum of talent to go with it?

pbmax
10-21-2013, 09:05 AM
Yes he [Davon House] did. The Packers haven't had a physical corner since Al Harris.

Micah Hyde made some nice plays, but not enough to get on the studs list.

Actually, the presence of these two PLUS Banjo makes me as excited about this D backfield as I have been since Woodson's heyday.

Did anyone see what the Colts could do to the Broncos with 2 good deep safeties? They shut down the deep passing game and when the Broncos adjusted to throwing shorter stuff, the safeties and DBs uniformly made great open field tackles.

I look forward to this D with Hayward.

Fritz
10-21-2013, 09:10 AM
So is Banjo a good deep cover guy, and a good tackler? Cuz I thought that's what MD was supposed to bring to the party.

If Heyward can come back and be his own bad self, like last year, this defense - if, uh, they don't all drop like flies - can be really good.

I'm also getting the vibe through some of the comments in JSO stories that this team is developing a tougher mental attitude.

Where is Wist to help us celebrate this?

Cheesehead Craig
10-21-2013, 10:19 AM
Where is Wist to help us celebrate this?

He's a soft poster. He needs to get get bigger and tougher posts.

Zool
10-21-2013, 10:57 AM
He's a soft poster. He needs to get get bigger and tougher posts.

If he's 579 pounds, that would explain a lot.

Cheesehead Craig
10-21-2013, 11:46 AM
I'm giving a Stud to the whole team.

This game could have been lost after the 3rd Q and I'm sure that a good number of peeps here were thinking that at the time. We were letting a bad team hang around and they were starting to move the ball. It had that feeling that a bad play (turnover, blown coverage,etc) was just a snap away. But this team dug real deep while being insanely short handed. That was a hell of a resilient effort by the club.

red
10-21-2013, 12:06 PM

This game could have been lost after the 3rd Q and I'm sure that a good number of peeps here were thinking that at the time. We were letting a bad team hang around and they were starting to move the ball. It had that feeling that a bad play (turnover, blown coverage,etc) was just a snap away. But this team dug real deep while being insanely short handed. That was a hell of a resilient effort by the club.

i can't do it. the special teams performance yesterday was one of the most pathetic displays i have ever seen in my life

Joemailman
10-21-2013, 12:11 PM
i can't do it. the special teams performance yesterday was one of the most pathetic displays i have ever seen in my life

Look at it this way. When the guys who played special teams were on offense or defense, they were resilient enough to overcome their special teams play. It's called rising above adversity.

channtheman
10-21-2013, 12:12 PM

I really feel the Browns decision to go for it on 4th and 15 instead of kicking a field goal to make it a one possession game had more to do with us running away with it, but I understand what you're saying. I was feeling like we were about to lose before that decision.

Freak Out
10-21-2013, 12:15 PM
Studs

Duds

Unsung Hero(es)

The game would have been much different with a real QB playing for the Browns. That said I thought the D played pretty well considering all the starters that were gonzo. Lattimore looks like he gets it. House is fantastic. Thought the offense looked good missing the key weapons against a tough D. Hope Lacy can keep pounding and Finely gets well soon.

Patler
10-21-2013, 02:52 PM
Rogers had one sack, and, as I recall, it came on a play where the pocket collapsed from both sides in, and there was great push up the center. In other words, he had absolutely no where to go. Throw it away? Couldn't, or it would have been intentional grounding because he was between the tackles. He pumped once, made a half step, looked like he wanted to launch one deep, but he had absolutely no time. Barely had time to secure the ball after the pump. A sack isn't always a bad thing.

Rodgers threw the ball away a lot yesterday.

Fritz
10-21-2013, 03:28 PM
The game would have been much different with a real QB playing for the Browns. That said I thought the D played pretty well considering all the starters that were gonzo. Lattimore looks like he gets it. House is fantastic. Thought the offense looked good missing the key weapons against a tough D. Hope Lacy can keep pounding and Finely gets well soon.

Jamari Lattimore makes plays. But I don't watch the game in a way that would allow me to know or learn much about how good he is - as in, does he keep to his assignments consistently, can he cover, can he rush?

Anybody have any insight. He looks good to me, like the real deal. But I see only the flash plays.

Bossman641
10-21-2013, 04:45 PM
Dud - Barclay

HarveyWallbangers
10-21-2013, 04:47 PM
Now we know why Packers management liked the Packers depth at ILB and why they let Bishop go.

red
10-21-2013, 05:07 PM
Dud - Barclay

and bahktiari

on that one play he was shoved back so far that him and the guy he was trying to block ended up past a-rod, the defended had to do a 180 to get to a-rod, at which point bahk was flagged for holding from behind

pbmax
10-21-2013, 05:07 PM
Now we know why Packers management liked the Packers depth at ILB and why they let Bishop go.

Lattimore looked pretty serviceable, didn't he? :D

HarveyWallbangers
10-21-2013, 05:28 PM
Lattimore looked pretty serviceable, didn't he? :D

Yes, and I've always liked Francois as a backup. Add Barrington and Manning, and TT probably made the right decision.

Harlan Huckleby
10-21-2013, 06:16 PM

I've heard that Bishop looked like his old self up until the latest injury.

I think TT let Bishop go because of Bishop - concern that he might be on the downhill - rather than the depth at ILB. Serviceable linebackers are a dime a dozen.

Harlan Huckleby
10-21-2013, 06:17 PM

I've heard that Bishop looked like his old self up until the latest injury.

I think TT let Bishop go because of Bishop - concern that he might be on the downhill - rather than the depth at LB. Serviceable linebackers are a dime a dozen, we always sort-of have depth there. It's not like cornerback or offensive line, where the "depth" often are a huge liability.

HarveyWallbangers
10-21-2013, 09:07 PM
Bishop looked pretty ordinary to me before the last game, but I didn't see the last game. Maybe he played noticeably better, but until then he was a non-factor in the action he got.

pbmax
10-28-2013, 05:07 PM
run pmc, how about a new Studs and Duds thread for the Vikings game?

run pMc
10-29-2013, 08:13 AM
run pmc, how about a new Studs and Duds thread for the Vikings game?

'tis done.