PDA

View Full Version : Heads or knees?

red
10-20-2013, 08:44 PM
a lot of debate on this lately, especially after the injury to cobb

with the rules today about going high, players are forced to go low, resulting in scary hits like cobbs

if you're a football player, would you rather get hit in the head or the knee?

a hit to the head and you miss a game or two. or you did what old bert use to do and come out for a play then go right back in. with this, you keep playing, but theres a chance you start drooling and wetting yourself when you get older. and when you get a little older then that you might forget who you are or where you're at. but you keep playing and making good money while you can

on the other hand, a player takes a shot to the knee and you blow it out. you now miss the rest of this season and some of next, then you probably won't be up to full speed until late next season if at all.

now lets take cobb. he takes the shot to the head, maybe he misses a few games, but he does come back to play this season.
or
if that hit to his knee is just an inch or so in a different direction, that could have been very ugly and you could be looking at major damage to his right knee. he would miss this year and part of next, and he might never get back up to the player he was by the end of next season

cobb is due a big new contract either this off season, or maybe even a bigger one after next season. if that hit was just an inch higher, cobb doesn't get his big deal this offseason, and he might not get a big one after next season. that hit could have cost him tens of millions of dollars

so, if you're an NFL player, would you rather get hit in the head and make your big money now and maybe be a vegetable later in life (but you'd have fun with that money until then)

or would you rather have your knees taken out and maybe lose out on huge sums of money and risk not ever being the same player again

as someone who knows all about head injuries, i'm just not sure how i feel on this one

red
10-20-2013, 08:52 PM
good ole bert might never have become the legend that is brett favre if he had to play with all of todays emphasis on concusion

i remember that dumb son of a bitch running and throwing all over the field early on in his career in almost every game, until he took a big shot to the head, then he calmed down and became a different QB.

in todays game with all the hits he took to the head, he would probably be forced to sit out every other game, and he might have been forced to retire after just 2 or 3 years

channtheman
10-20-2013, 10:19 PM
You take the hit to the knee. If you're smart, you should already be set (or nearly set) for life on even an average contract. The head injuries are serious later, and if it is a terrible enough hit, can be serious now.

Zool
10-20-2013, 11:51 PM
Ask Junior Seau. Head injuries cause lifelong problems.

hoosier
10-21-2013, 04:28 AM
I would opt for the toes.

pbmax
10-21-2013, 07:47 AM
I think there is a lot of space in between.

sharpe1027
10-21-2013, 07:54 AM
You can't enjoy the use of your legs without your brain functioning properly. There are also ways to compensate for bad knees. They currently can't do much of anything to fix your brain.

To me it is a no-brainer.

Guiness
10-21-2013, 08:04 AM
Quite true about Brett, and probably a few others...although it undoubtedly would have extended some careers as well. The ones that come to mind immediately are Steve Young and Aikman. If they'd sat out long enough to recover from some of those early concussions instead of getting back out there and getting another one so quickly they might not have been forced to retire as early as they both did.

run pMc
10-21-2013, 08:05 AM
I think there is a lot of space in between.

+1

Zool
10-21-2013, 08:53 AM
Quite true about Brett, and probably a few others...although it undoubtedly would have extended some careers as well. The ones that come to mind immediately are Steve Young and Aikman. If they'd sat out long enough to recover from some of those early concussions instead of getting back out there and getting another one so quickly they might not have been forced to retire as early as they both did.

Steve Young was 38 when he retired.

red
10-21-2013, 09:38 AM
Steve Young was 38 when he retired.

he could have played till he was 39

Zool
10-21-2013, 09:48 AM
he could have played till he was 39

He could have, but he played a long damned time.