PDA

View Full Version : Mike Hawkins

Joemailman
08-25-2006, 08:44 PM
Hawkins gets back on the field

But he's not assured of a job in the defensive backfield

By Rob Demovsky
rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

Ask anyone associated with the Green Bay Packers about cornerback Mike Hawkins, and their answer invariably will be along the same lines.

"Talented young man," secondary coach Kurt Schottenheimer said.

"He's got skills, speed and quick feet," receiver Rod Gardner said.

"He's a fast, talented guy," cornerback Al Harris said.

At some point, talent isn't enough. Though this is only his second season, Hawkins is getting dangerously close to being one of those guys who never lived up to his potential.

His unusual football background scared away teams when Hawkins became eligible for the draft in 2005. He was homeless for a time as a teenager in Dallas. He played in only five college football games because he left the University of Oklahoma after his freshman season. He spent parts of two seasons in the Arena League.

None of it kept the Packers from drafting Hawkins in the fifth round (No. 167 overall) in 2005. They were intrigued by his raw ability and his 4.28-second time in the 40-yard dash.

Asked to rate Hawkins' abilities from a pure talent standpoint, Schottenheimer said: "I think he has as good a cover skills as anyone I've been around.

"He reminds me a lot of Dale Carter (whom Schottenheimer coached in Kansas City). He has such great quickness and body control and speed. He really has a feel for it."

That's exactly how Hawkins looked last year, when as a rookie he was flying around the practice field and making plays left and right. But it never carried over to the regular season. As a part-time player in the dime defense, he made only eight tackles, had no interceptions and just two passes defensed.

He also developed a knack for picking up nagging injuries. He had minor knee surgery before his rookie training camp. During the season, he missed time or had to drop out of games because of knee, ankle and groin injuries.

Hawkins appeared to get off to a flying start this summer but after the first week of training camp, he was back in the training room because of another knee problem, patellar tendinitis. He missed most of the next three weeks before he finally returned to practice on Wednesday.

He did 11-on-11 team drills for the first time on Thursday. If all goes well the rest of the week, coach Mike McCarthy said Hawkins could play in Monday's preseason game at Cincinnati.

That's virtually a must-play game for Hawkins, who went from having a chance to compete for the No. 3 cornerback spot behind starters Al Harris and Charles Woodson to possibly being out of a job. He has fallen behind Ahmad Carroll and Jason Horton, who likely will be the nickel and dime cornerbacks.

"In this camp, he started out really, really strong," Schottenheimer said. "Then he had a couple of days that weren't like his first three and then he was good for another few days.

"When he left us (in June) for about a month, he came back and started training camp really fast. I'm hoping he can come back off this and start back up real fast and see how much playing time we can get him here in the next couple of games."

Where Hawkins lines up on Monday night against the Bengals could tell a lot about his chances to make the 53-man roster. McCarthy is expected to play his starters well into the third quarter. If Hawkins can't get any time in the No. 1 dime defense, it might be a sign his days are numbered.

Hawkins appears to be well aware of his situation and isn't delusional about his chances.

"If you're established and don't have big money behind your name, you can never be secure with knowing you're here," Hawkins said. "If they want to get rid of me, it wouldn't be that hard."

However, Hawkins cautioned that the Packers haven't seen him at his best.

"Not even close," he said. "I haven't been able to get into a good rhythm yet. I've been having to adjust to a lot of things, and these little nagging injuries have kept pushing me back. I felt like this training camp was going to be my training camp, my time to show that I could be a player behind those two great corners that we have. I thought it was my time.

"When you see Mike Hawkins at his best, you'll know. The people that know me, the people that have seen me ball in high school and in college, they know. All anyone says is, 'I can't wait to see that.'"

The question is, how long will the Packers wait?

"You'd like to see how he does," Schottenheimer said when asked whether he knows what he has in Hawkins.

"You want to cross the T's and dot the I's with everything that you're doing, but he did play some last year and is a lot further along because of the offseason program. I was very encouraged by the way he started this camp. He was going to be right in the thick of things. He is talented and understands concepts and has excellent bump-and-run skills."

I would be surprised if the Packers let someone with Hawkins' natural ability go after 2 seasons. We will probably keep 5 CB's, and it's not like we have any special players after Harris, Woodson, Carroll and Horton.

SD GB fan
08-25-2006, 09:25 PM
blackmon, if he doesnt end up on IR or PUP

ceeman
08-25-2006, 10:04 PM
Physically Hawkins is an absoloute specimen. Guys like him don't come around very often. 6'2" with 4.28 speed! I would hate to cut him and see him go off and become an excellent player for someone else. I would rather cut Carrol.

retailguy
08-25-2006, 10:07 PM
Welcome Ceeman.... Good to have you here.

Bretsky
08-25-2006, 10:44 PM
Hawkins is a great athlete, but I'm not convinced he's a football player yet.

I dislike Carroll, but he still remains smash mouth and he is a decent #3 CB

RashanGary
08-26-2006, 12:06 AM
Physically, he's as good as the NFL has IMO. He's not just fast. He's super quick and explosive.

It's unfortunate that his body isn't holding up. I think he could be a very good CB. Physically, he could be as great as anyone, but the rest of his game has to catch up to hsi physicall skills. Hell, his toughness has to catch up too.

KYPack
08-26-2006, 09:41 PM
Asked to rate Hawkins' abilities from a pure talent standpoint, Schottenheimer said: "I think he has as good a cover skills as anyone I've been around.

"He reminds me a lot of Dale Carter (whom Schottenheimer coached in Kansas City). He has such great quickness and body control and speed. He really has a feel for it."

"You'd like to see how he does," Schottenheimer said when asked whether he knows what he has in Hawkins.

"You want to cross the T's and dot the I's with everything that you're doing, but he did play some last year and is a lot further along because of the offseason program. I was very encouraged by the way he started this camp. He was going to be right in the thick of things. He is talented and understands concepts and has excellent bump-and-run skills."

I would be surprised if the Packers let someone with Hawkins' natural ability go after 2 seasons. We will probably keep 5 CB's, and it's not like we have any special players after Harris, Woodson, Carroll and Horton.

These are total bullshit statements by Schottenheimer. Hawkins is a physical wonder, but there's a helluva lot more to covering NFL recievers than speed and quickness. This kid has zero cover technique and has made very little progress in acquiring the same.

His lack of time on the field is because he got hurt. Most felt it was because he wasn't in tip-top shape. i think he does get cut.

I know everybody hates Carroll, but other than the 'hands" thing, he is light years ahead of this kid.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-26-2006, 09:51 PM
Physical, fast, blah, blah, blah. If he can't play, he can't play, it's as simple as that. I would much rather have the 5'9 Carroll who can at least play half decent.

RashanGary
08-27-2006, 12:53 AM
I'd like to see him stick around just long enough for Blackmon to come back. Maybe he can show what he's got in that time. If we give up on him, someone is going to get him and he could be really good.

Partial
08-27-2006, 01:39 AM
I'd like to see him stick around just long enough for Blackmon to come back. Maybe he can show what he's got in that time. If we give up on him, someone is going to get him and he could be really good.

DEON GOOD!

Rastak
08-27-2006, 06:55 AM

These are total bullshit statements by Schottenheimer. Hawkins is a physical wonder, but there's a helluva lot more to covering NFL recievers than speed and quickness. This kid has zero cover technique and has made very little progress in acquiring the same.

His lack of time on the field is because he got hurt. Most felt it was because he wasn't in tip-top shape. i think he does get cut.

I know everybody hates Carroll, but other than the 'hands" thing, he is light years ahead of this kid.

Yea, if physical skills were all you need, Brock Lesnar would have been a pro bowl DT. There alot more to it than that.

Tarlam!
08-27-2006, 07:03 AM
I was one of the few that loved this TT draft pick. Lots of upside, good round to reach, great human interest story.

For these same reasons, I wanna keep the guy on.

Joemailman
08-27-2006, 07:35 AM
Physical, fast, blah, blah, blah. If he can't play, he can't play, it's as simple as that. I would much rather have the 5'9 Carroll who can at least play half decent.

I don't think the choice is between Carroll and Hawkins. Carroll is obviously going to make the team. The question is whether you keep Hawkins or someone like Patrick Dendy. I think Hawkins' upside is too significant to ignore.

Fritz
08-27-2006, 10:12 AM
Yeah, why is everybody looking at Hawkins as taking Carroll's roster spot? He's competing with Jason Horton and Patrick Dendy, and to my thinking Hawkins's ability wins out over both Horton and Dendy, who seem strictly borderline NFLers.

Tarlam!
08-27-2006, 10:17 AM
I would take the Hawkins PROJECT over the Carroll HAS BEEN any day of the NFL week.

We've seen what Carroll is worth at his best - a 5th round trade pick earning first rounder money.

Hawkins is a legit 5th rounder waiting for it to gel.

Sorry, but in terms of value for money, it is Hawkins over Carroll.

ahaha
08-27-2006, 10:20 AM
Cornerback Mike Hawkins, back this week after a bout with tendinitis in his knee, showed why his potential is so intriguing when he intercepted a pass in a defensive red-zone period. The receiver ran an up. Hawkins got a good bump and then accelerated to the ball with a gear that not even many corners possess.
excerpt from Cliff Christl - Sat. camp report

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-27-2006, 10:51 AM
If I had 4.2 speed and was 6'2, I would be just as good as Hawkins. The point is Hawkins hasn't showed any ball skills since he's been here. It doesn't matter how fast you are sometimes, it's about are you good enough to be in the pros. Don't get me wrong, I would love for someone with his size and speed to make the team, but he has to have more than that or he will soon just be wasting a roster spot.

Scott Campbell
08-27-2006, 11:11 AM
The point is Hawkins hasn't showed any ball skills since he's been here.

I think he's flashed enough ball skills with some picks from last summer and another one yesterday. It's everything else involved with playing the position he seems to need to develop.

RashanGary
08-27-2006, 11:19 AM
I thought he had good ball skills too. It was his technique that needed work. He's still got a chance. His body is just starting to get NFL ready. If he can manage to keep a spot this year, I think we'll see everything he's got to offer next year when his technique starts to become second nature. He's still thinking too much.

Scott Campbell
08-27-2006, 11:24 AM
I know he's injury prone, but why else wouldn't you try Hawkins out as a returner. That kind of speed just can't be taught.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-27-2006, 11:26 AM
I know he's injury prone, but why else wouldn't you try Hawkins out as a returner. That kind of speed just can't be taught.

See, theres an idea :cool: