PDA

View Full Version : Desmond Bishop - a rehash on torn hamstrings

Patler
10-22-2013, 09:29 AM
We had a lot of discussion last summer about whether or not Bishop could return from his injury. In the thread about GB releasing Bishop:

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?25574-Packers-To-Part-Ways-With-Bishop/page7&highlight=bishop

Woodbuck referred us all to an article with interesting stats about players returning from torn hamstrings:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1683249-what-does-desmond-bishop-bring-to-the-vikings

The stats from the American Journal of Orthopedics were interesting, especially now that Bishop can be added to the stats:

A June 2013 study from the American Journal of Orthopedics looked at 10 confirmed cases of ruptured hamstrings in the NFL from 1990 to 2008.

While nine of the 10 players in the study returned to play the next season, only five of the 10 played more than one game following the injury.

In addition, two of the 10 players returned and had major injuries occur to the same leg. One suffered a torn Achilles tendon and another re-ruptured the same hamstring (the player was a linebacker). On this note, it is worth noting that Bishop has already been dealing with a strain in the same hamstring he injured in August.

Bishop played in the earlier games, but was starting his first game for the Vikings when he was injured.

call_me_ishmael
10-22-2013, 09:37 AM
This is a really good read. Thanks for posting.

Brandon Chillar is another guy who never played again after tearing a hamstring. Tough injury.

hoosier
10-22-2013, 09:38 AM
I think it is the Dirty One (3irty1), not Woodbuck, who gets the research credit for the Ortho article.

Patler
10-22-2013, 10:40 AM
I think it is the Dirty One (3irty1), not Woodbuck, who gets the research credit for the Ortho article.

Woodbuck gave us the link to the Bleacher Report article that I cited, and that article has the quote of the stats that I used above.
3irty1's link to an Am Jur article seems to be broken. Not sure if it is the base article for the Bleacher Report info or not.

However, I will admit that I sometimes get lost in Woodbuck's posts, and can't always tell for sure what parts are his original comments and what is quoted from someone or somewhere else!!

red
10-22-2013, 11:05 AM
Woodbuck gave us the link to the Bleacher Report article that I cited, and that article has the quote of the stats that I used above.
3irty1's link to an Am Jur article seems to be broken. Not sure if it is the base article for the Bleacher Report info or not.

However, I will admit that I sometimes get lost in Woodbuck's posts, and can't always tell for sure what parts are his original comments and what is quoted from someone or somewhere else!!

most of us get confused when reading woody's posts

hoosier
10-22-2013, 11:06 AM
Tore right hamstring in 2012, left ACL in 2013. Bobblehead will tell us that the ACL tear came from overcompensating. Or maybe he rehabbed the right leg too much and then tore the ACL because the left leg was comparatively weak.

3irty1
10-22-2013, 11:36 AM
I did a google search on the pdf name and found it again somewhere else. http://www.cutis.com/fileadmin/qhi_archive/042060038.pdf

It's pretty informative.

Desmond Bishop seems to have succumb to the same fate as the others with his injury and draft status.

KYPack
10-22-2013, 03:14 PM
Hey, where is our resident Canuck nut?

(As opposed to our other Canucks who are mainly just half nuts)