PDA

View Full Version : Watching Division Rival Lions- they are bad tonight

CaliforniaCheez
08-25-2006, 10:08 PM
The lowly Raiders are trouncing the Lions. 21-0 halfway through the second qtr.

Aaron Brooks is picking them apart as they have NO pass rush.
Randy Moss 3 catches for 103 yards.
The Raiders are running wild too.
No trick plays or anything special from Raiders.
Lions look like they have the flu or something.
It is bad. Real bad.
First edit
Kitna has missed 6 passes in a row so first down, scrambled, popped, and came up limping. Next play 8 yard sack, 3rd down Kitna gets ball knocked out of his hand fumble. Lions recover and punt.
2nd edit

2 minute drill Detroit before the half
Ross Verba while run blocking got a 15 yard facemask penalty.

Kitna can't find an open receiver, takes off running up field, hit from behind
by a defensive lineman fumbles and the Raiders recover with a minute and a half left at mid-field. Raiders run out the clock!!

retailguy
08-25-2006, 10:10 PM
It is bad. Real bad.

Thats good. Real Good.

digitaldean
08-25-2006, 10:12 PM
The lowly Raiders are trouncing the Lions. 21-0 halfway through the second qtr.

Aaron Brooks is picking them apart as they have NO pass rush.
Randy Moss 3 catches for 103 yards.
The Raiders are running wild too.
No trick plays or anything special from Raiders.
Lions look like they have the flu or something.
It is bad. Real bad.

When Aaron Brooks picks you apart (from the way last season and the pre-season was going) that's a BAAAAD sign.

Again, only preseason, but they shouldn't be taking steps back.

oregonpackfan
08-25-2006, 10:15 PM
I saw that former Lions QB Joey Harrington played for Miami the other night and did well. He led the Dolphins on a long drive and ended it with a touchdown pass to Chris Chambers(who should have been drafted by the Packers instead of Ferguson.)

OPF

digitaldean
08-25-2006, 10:16 PM
I saw that former Lions QB Joey Harrington played for Miami the other night and did well. He led the Dolphins on a long drive and ended it with a touchdown pass to Chris Chambers(who should have been drafted by the Packers instead of Ferguson.)

OPF

Draft day bone ups (besides mandarich)
1. TBuck over Troy Vincent
2. Fergy over Chambers
3. Trading UP for BJ and the Bear Sander. :evil:

Charles Woodson
08-25-2006, 10:30 PM

OPF

yea living in miami i get all there games so ive been able to watch joey, and hes suprised me, hes not doin to bad down here

Bretsky
08-25-2006, 10:47 PM

OPF

Hmmmmmm

A WR making a sub par QB look good; what a concept.

HarveyWallbangers
08-25-2006, 10:57 PM
Minnesota's defense looked damn good tonight. I'm hoping it's just preseason ball (e.g. Daunte had like a 10,000 QB rating last preseason and came out struggling). Smoot still sucks--despite his gift tonight, but they have a lot of talent on defense. Their offense is very pedestrian, but this looks like the favorite in the division to me. I don't like their depth much though. They also have a QB who is pretty fragile, and a really bad situation at backup QB. If they stay healthy, I think they are better than Chicago. I don't understand how they can be so poor running the ball though. I think Green Bay proved last year that it takes five good OL--not just three. Their OL may end up not being as good as some people think. Their DL looks downright awesome though.

I must say that I got amusement out of Longwell missing a 40 yard FG tonight. I'm sure it was the holder.

CaliforniaCheez
08-25-2006, 11:06 PM
1/2 way through the third Detroit just gave up a 28 yard punt return.

7 possesions
5 punts
1 INT Kitna
1 Fumble Kitna

retailguy
08-25-2006, 11:09 PM
1/2 way through the third Detroit just gave up a 28 yard punt return.

7 possesions
5 punts
1 INT Kitna
1 Fumble Kitna

I drafted in a free yahoo league today, just for kicks. Some idiot took Kitna in the 2nd round. The rest of his team wasn't too bad, but I don't understand the "hard-on" for Kitna. Not a bad QB, and a high ethics guy, but hell, he could have guaranteed himself Kitna in the 12th round....

CaliforniaCheez
08-25-2006, 11:28 PM
In yahoo's scoring system Kitna gets 0 for passing(22 yds), 0 for rushing(19 yds), -1 for INT and -1 for Fumble for a total of -2 fantasy points.

Joemailman
08-25-2006, 11:32 PM
I must say that I got amusement out of Longwell missing a 40 yard FG tonight. I'm sure it was the holder.

Hopefully the people who think they have to start a new thread every time Rayner misses a couple of kicks in practice will take notice.

Bretsky
08-25-2006, 11:35 PM
Minnesota's defense looked damn good tonight. I'm hoping it's just preseason ball (e.g. Daunte had like a 10,000 QB rating last preseason and came out struggling). Smoot still sucks--despite his gift tonight, but they have a lot of talent on defense. Their offense is very pedestrian, but this looks like the favorite in the division to me. I don't like their depth much though. They also have a QB who is pretty fragile, and a really bad situation at backup QB. If they stay healthy, I think they are better than Chicago. I don't understand how they can be so poor running the ball though. I think Green Bay proved last year that it takes five good OL--not just three. Their OL may end up not being as good as some people think. Their DL looks downright awesome though.

WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO HARVEY ?

HARVEY WAS the guy whose view of Minnesota parallel'd my view on Robert Ferguson ?

Are those Vikings fans getting to you ?

Anyway, I see you are migrating to my view of the Vikings. They are serious contenders to the Bears. That defense has playmakers and Chester Taylor will be fine with that OL.

B

HarveyWallbangers
08-25-2006, 11:40 PM
Anyway, I see you are migrating to my view of the Vikings. They are serious contenders to the Bears. That defense has playmakers and Chester Taylor will be fine with that OL.

Chester Taylor doesn't impress me that much. He doesn't do much on his own. They haven't been able to run a lick, Artis Hicks isn't very good, and Marcus Johnson doesn't look much improved over last year. Their offense is going to be ugly, but their defense is going to keep them in games. If they get lucky breaks like 2001 and 2005 Bears, they could win 10-11 games and the division.

Bretsky
08-25-2006, 11:44 PM
Do you know if either of the Ravens RB's looked OK ? Was thinking of grabbing Musa Smith in another league off of waivers.

B

HarveyWallbangers
08-25-2006, 11:46 PM
Do you know if either of the Ravens RB's looked OK ? Was thinking of grabbing Musa Smith in another league off of waivers.

Baltimore's OL got manhandled by Minnesota's DL, so they didn't get much room. Musa Smith didn't look good. Jonathan Ogden looks over the hill.

Joemailman
08-25-2006, 11:47 PM

Chester Taylor doesn't impress me that much. He doesn't do much on his own. They haven't been able to run a lick, Artis Hicks isn't very good, and Marcus Johnson doesn't look much improved over last year. Their offense is going to be ugly, but their defense is going to keep them in games. If they get lucky breaks like 2001 and 2005 Bears, they could win 10-11 games and the division.

Last year our offense was ugly, but our defense kept us in games. The result was 4-12. If they can't run the ball, they will not have a good season. Any defense can get worn out if it has to spend too much time on the field.

Rastak
08-25-2006, 11:48 PM

Well, I just got back from that game...their running game hasn't been good at all but for some odd reason they've been running right quite a bit.
We'll have to see how they look when the full playbook is out. Anyway, enjoy Longwell's miss, I'll equally enjoy Raynor's many misses... :wink:

Vikes did look solid again tonight.

Bretsky
08-25-2006, 11:49 PM
I'm concerned about our D this year too; they won't rank as high as last years overall. We will miss Bates and his intensity IMO

Bretsky
08-25-2006, 11:50 PM

Well, I just got back from that game...their running game hasn't been good at all but for some odd reason they've been running right quite a bit.
We'll have to see how they look when the full playbook is out. Anyway, enjoy Longwell's miss, I'll equally enjoy Raynor's many misses... :wink:

That's because Minnesota has sold it's soul the the devil and nabbed a
F'ckin Badger Coach.

Rastak
08-25-2006, 11:56 PM

That's because Minnesota has sold it's soul the the devil and nabbed a
F'ckin Badger Coach.

I watched the sideline quite a bit and Childress is all alone most of the time while Bevell and Tomlin huddle with offense and defense. Very different from Tice who was all over the place during the games...don't know if that is good or bad, just different.

Bretsky
08-26-2006, 12:00 AM
I'd classify Tice as nearly as bad as Wayne Fontes; neither were as bad as Rich Kotite though.

Regardless IMO Tice to Childress will probably be a good change

Rastak
08-26-2006, 12:03 AM

Last year our offense was ugly, but our defense kept us in games. The result was 4-12. If they can't run the ball, they will not have a good season. Any defense can get worn out if it has to spend too much time on the field.

Joe, that's very true, however, Minnesota has had unreal time of possesion numbers this preseason. Although the running game hasn't been great, they throw tons of short passes which result in long drives. It's somewhat simmilar to Philly's offense of the last couple of years. Boring but effective.

Terry
08-26-2006, 04:58 AM
You beat me to it, Joemailman. I was going to quote the same line and say, Rayner does that and everyone's screaming for Ted to get a new kicker.

Rastak can hold his breath.

ahaha
08-26-2006, 08:30 AM
That Viking D-line is looking quite scary. It's not quite 'the purple people eaters' yet, but its bringing up memories of the Doleman, Noga, Millard and Thomas line.

Rastak
08-26-2006, 08:32 AM
That Viking D-line is looking quite scary. It's not quite 'the purple people eaters' yet, but its bringing up memories of the Doleman, Noga, Millard and Thomas line.

They are getting quite a bit of pressure on the QB which makes good things happen.

red
08-26-2006, 08:45 AM
I'm concerned about our D this year too; they won't rank as high as last years overall. We will miss Bates and his intensity IMO

i absolute 100% agree B

Rastak
08-26-2006, 09:22 AM
Smoot still sucks--despite his gift tonight

He may or may not still suck but I just watched the reply 3 times of that pick and it was a great play, he tore the ball out of the recievers hand and took it 69 to the house. THAT is what you want. Gift?, I don't think so.

mmmdk
08-26-2006, 09:50 AM
Remember, great D-lines, make mediocre secondaries look good. Sharper will make the probowl (again) unless injured. Minnesota looks good in the short run (this and next year) but I don't buy their offensive strategy. Vikings clone Philly but the Reid model only won because the NFC has been weak for half a decade. Not anymore. In the long run it won't make Vikings SB champs but they'll win more than they lose with the Philly model. I'd copy New England, Pittsburgh, the 49ers dynasty and even the Holmgren way...if I'd copy a team philosophy. I like McCarthy but he must deliver to make me a true believer but I trust the Packer direction. :mrgreen:

Rastak
08-26-2006, 09:53 AM
Out of curiosity, if you don't like the WCO, what is your perferred offense, a more vertical game?

mmmdk
08-26-2006, 12:33 PM
WCO, you say! It's not that simple. You make it sound like 'Huey, Duey, & Luey' :mrgreen: But it's a valid question, Rastak. And now that you mention a more vertical passing game, well, Holmgren did that BUT.....he set up the vertical game with dink and dunk in the early Favre years plus to some extend the run game. Philly is dink and dunk puritanism hence pretty much what I expect from the Viking offense. Sooo, the Philly defense, now that's another story. I believe the NFC North will be defense oriented division post-Favre, actually, it already is. That's where the Vikes will sweep the feet of off quite the bit of foes this season - and beyond. I believe the Packers will too, if it's this season or not, that's just too early to tell. My main point was, really, that I don't believe in Philly's WCO but there's a chance that version of the WCO won't be stuck in quicksand forever - could even change by midseason. The run game is paramount both for the Packers and Vikings yet both ground games seem unproven.

Lastly, I am convinced that the Bears better watch this season; the Vikings and Packers are not that far behind. The Bears seem stuck in quicksand, presently, and they're not worldbeaters in my book.

HarveyWallbangers
08-27-2006, 12:03 PM
He may or may not still suck but I just watched the reply 3 times of that pick and it was a great play, he tore the ball out of the recievers hand and took it 69 to the house. THAT is what you want. Gift?, I don't think so.

Even Ahmad Carroll had a couple of interceptions last year--one on a really nice play. It was a gift. You had a wideout that did a 5-yard stop route in press coverage, and ran it poorly. Not hard to cover that one. Dumb throw.

I think as highly of Smoot's pick as Jason Horton's pick last week. Didn't show me much--just showed me that every dog has their day occasionally. It wasn't too hard to house since there was nobody around to catch him. Just like Horton's pick last week. Actually, the runbacks were identical. Both guys started showboating at the 20 yard line... holding the ball with one hand.

Rastak
08-27-2006, 12:27 PM

Even Ahmad Carroll had a couple of interceptions last year--one on a really nice play. It was a gift. You had a wideout that did a 5-yard stop route in press coverage, and ran it poorly. Not hard to cover that one. Dumb throw.

I think as highly of Smoot's pick as Jason Horton's pick last week. Didn't show me much--just showed me that every dog has their day occasionally. It wasn't too hard to house since there was nobody around to catch him. Just like Horton's pick last week. Actually, the runbacks were identical. Both guys started showboating at the 20 yard line... holding the ball with one hand.

Damn Harvey, what's a guy gotta do to impress you...LOL....Smoot had a perfectly timed break and pulls the ball out of the recievers hands and streaks down the sideline to score and it's a gift? Now Willie Offord's pick was the gift...Edwards pressured Boller and he threw it right to Offord...I can understand calling that a gift but geez....tough crowd..... :razz: