PDA

View Full Version : Happy Fun-Time Metrodome Thread

pbmax
10-27-2013, 06:27 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/article/20131026/PKR07/310260334/Pete-Dougherty-column-Packers-say-goodbye-good-riddance-Metrodome

Some great laughs in Dougherty's column about the Packers last game in the Humpty Dome. Some highlights!

Packers are 14-16 in the Metrodome. Not bad, but when they lose, its a blast.

1992 - Win and Your In the Playoffs Regular Season Finale
- 3 Interceptions

1993 - Buckley's Week 3 Meltdown
- 45 yard Eric Guliford catch. His only Viking catch of the season apparently
- Buckley was taunting Qadry Ismail that he wasn't going to cover deep because McMahon couldn't throw it that far. Word got back to Punk QB and then Buckley bit on a Carter out route and let EG run wide open.

red
10-27-2013, 06:32 PM
i remember the rockets younger slower brother always managed to have big games against us back then

pbmax
10-27-2013, 06:34 PM
1995 - TJ Rubley
- A detail I had never heard provided here (even if its not true, I want it to be true just for the story). Rubley had driven them to near FB range as time wound down. Rubley is in game for Favre with ankle injury and Detemer had suffered a season ending thumb injury. It was 3rd and 1 and Holmgren calls a QB sneak. Rubley wants to take advantage of Vikings packing the LOS and audibles (he had already fumbled once). With Frank Winters screaming at him not to do it, Rubley runs the audible, rolls out, throws across his body for a tipped pass that is intercepted. Two Warren Moon passes later, FG Fuad Reveiz.

- even more fun detail

Wolf said he experienced a horrible sense of déjà vu as the play unfolded. In a personnel meeting earlier in the season, the coaching and scouting staffs were discussing Rubley. Quarterbacks coach Steve Mariucci expressed concern about Rubley’s tendency to call wrong audibles in practice and predicted that in a short-yard situation late in a tight game he might check from a run to a pass and cost the team a win.

red
10-27-2013, 06:41 PM
i'll try and remember to ask mooch about that the next time i see him, just for you PB

pbmax
10-27-2013, 06:45 PM
i'll try and remember to ask mooch about that the next time i see him, just for you PB

Tell him that bit of self scouting out to get him a job back in the NFL whenever he wants. No resume, no presentation. Just that story.

Plus, you know, Favre.

HarveyWallbangers
10-28-2013, 12:09 AM
1989 was Herschel's first game with the Vikings. The Vikings looked like they were Super Bowl bound after that game. Unfortunately, I was at that game. I was also at the Rubley game and the Buckley game.

I'll always remember Tim Harris' monster game at the Dome in 1988. I had just moved to the Twin Cities, and I was hearing it from Viking fans. He single-handedly gave me relief for awhile.

Joemailman
10-28-2013, 12:55 AM
I'd forgotten T.J. wore #12. Some day his number will be retired.

http://jerseyal.com/GBP/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/rubley-poster.jpg