PDA

View Full Version : Impressive and just interesting things from Viking game

Patler
10-28-2013, 09:55 AM
First and foremost, not letting AP take over the game, and doing it with three starting linebackers not even dressed for the game. Going into the game with backup outside linebackers, one an undrafted rookie and the other a converted lineman playing his 7th game as a linebacker, and a ILB who was the backup to the backup had the potential for disaster. They didn't shut him down completely, but they kept him under control.

Not sure I remember watching a game when a team had time of possession greater than 40 minutes. Certainly not any recent Packer team with their high-powered passing attacks.

42 rushes, 29 passes? The Green Bay Packers???? Really? With that type of run/pass ratio, was I watching a replay of a game from the 1960's??

Rodgers was 24/29, with I think at least two throw aways and one right in the hands of Myles White that he bobbled then batted away.

Jordy Nelson seemingly catching passes he barely had time to see. Maybe his height allows him to pickup those throws sooner than it seems with a defender shielding him.

Chris Collinsworth telling Gregg Jennings that as a WR you never leave a great QB just for a little more money!

Sitton, Lang and Rodgers seeming disinterest in talking to Jennings after the game.

No apparent effort from Nelson or the other WRs to locate and greet Jennings. Coupled with Nelson's post game comment about the WRs just wanting to do their jobs and let good things happen makes me wonder what their feelings were and are toward Jennings.

ThunderDan
10-28-2013, 09:59 AM
No punts.

Points every time the offense touched the ball except at the end of the game in victory formation.

MadtownPacker
10-28-2013, 10:05 AM
Damn they didn't punt? Shit was going so good I didn't notice.

Patler
10-28-2013, 10:10 AM
No punts.

Points every time the offense touched the ball except at the end of the game in victory formation.

Yup, meant to include that on my list. I'm glad you added it Masthay was a very expensive holder last night!

denverYooper
10-28-2013, 10:23 AM
Masthay kicked off twice.

I found it interesting that they switched to Crosby for KOs. Masthay has been doing most of those.

Joemailman
10-28-2013, 10:24 AM
I was impressed again with MM's willingness to stick with the run despite a lot of bad runs early.

The 3rd down conversion success rate was something I don't think I've ever seen before.

Definitely looked like Jordy wanted to avoid Jennings. The receivers are a tight knit group. I think it became obvious that last year Jennings wanted out of Green Bay and I'm sure they picked up on that. His offseason comments probably just made him look pathetic in their eyes. And unlike Jennings, they appreciate what having Rodgers as their QB does for them.

I think Edgar Bennett deserves a lot of credit for the way Boykin and White have played.

I'm starting to wonder if Boykin will impact how much the Packers will be willing to pay to keep James Jones.

Guiness
10-28-2013, 10:25 AM
The Sitton/Jennings hug looked particularly uncomfortable. Looked like Jennings was trying to talk, and while Sitton gave him a squeeze and a pat on the back.

I know this isn't the stud and dud thread, but the one bad thing was that 'heavy' package the Pack trotted out for that 3rd and 1! I know the Williams sister Wall is no longer, but I still don't think you challenge that D in that fashion.

Joemailman
10-28-2013, 10:27 AM
The Sitton/Jennings hug looked particularly uncomfortable. Looked like Jennings was trying to talk, and while Sitton gave him a squeeze and a pat on the back.

I know this isn't the stud and dud thread, but the one bad thing was that 'heavy' package the Pack trotted out for that 3rd and 1! I know the Williams sister Wall is no longer, but I still don't think you challenge that D in that fashion.

My reaction was, "What was that?"

Patler
10-28-2013, 10:30 AM

That was a bit embarassing. They not only failed to pick up the needed yard, I think they actually lost a yard or so, didn't they?

That said, my immediate thought was this was a "throw-away" play to get a look and run on tape for future teams to think about, so that at some time the same formation will be used, and Rodgers will stand up and throw to someone getting past a DB. When it happens, remember that it was set up in the Viking game!

denverYooper
10-28-2013, 10:31 AM
First and foremost, not letting AP take over the game, and doing it with three starting linebackers not even dressed for the game. Going into the game with backup outside linebackers, one an undrafted rookie and the other a converted lineman playing his 7th game as a linebacker, and a ILB who was the backup to the backup had the potential for disaster. They didn't shut him down completely, but they kept him under control.

Not sure I remember watching a game when a team had time of possession greater than 40 minutes. Certainly not any recent Packer team with their high-powered passing attacks.

42 rushes, 29 passes? The Green Bay Packers???? Really? With that type of run/pass ratio, was I watching a replay of a game from the 1960's??

Rodgers was 24/29, with I think at least two throw aways and one right in the hands of Myles White that he bobbled then batted away.

Jordy Nelson seemingly catching passes he barely had time to see. Maybe his height allows him to pickup those throws sooner than it seems with a defender shielding him.

Chris Collinsworth telling Gregg Jennings that as a WR you never leave a great QB just for a little more money!

Sitton, Lang and Rodgers seeming disinterest in talking to Jennings after the game.

No apparent effort from Nelson or the other WRs to locate and greet Jennings. Coupled with Nelson's post game comment about the WRs just wanting to do their jobs and let good things happen makes me wonder what their feelings were and are toward Jennings.

"It's not me, it's you."

I wonder if they all thought Jennings was fake. Sometimes with things like that, the narrative around it is blown up and guys are still obviously chummy because they know how ridiculous the media can get with those types of stories. Here, it seems they really just don't care for Jennings the man anymore.

Cheesehead Craig
10-28-2013, 10:58 AM
I know it was brought up a lot during the game, but the 3rd down conversions were ridiculous. I don't remember a Packer team that converted so many in a row and made it look so easy.

Patler
10-28-2013, 10:58 AM

Agreed. Sitton had an almost quizzical look on his face as he saw Jennings, as if to ask, "Why are you talking to ME?"

The encounter with Rodgers was odd, too. It went on unusually long, with Rodgers saying absolutely nothing until at the very end. The length wouldn't have been so odd if it was a back and forth conversation, but it wasn't. It seemed like Rodgers was trying to pull away, and Jennings just held on. Rodgers didn't seem to be interested at all in seeing him.

It is so common place to see players greet former team mates with big grins, a quick hug and even laughter. Players from his former team often group around the one who left, waiting for a quick word. No one seemed to be looking for GJ, and those he cornered looked like they wanted to escape.

pbmax
10-28-2013, 11:56 AM
Pregame from Packers.com

http://prod.images.packers.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/PACKERS/assets/images/imported/GB/photos/clubimages/2013/10-October/temp131027-packers-vikings-becker-5--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720

pbmax
10-28-2013, 11:57 AM
That was a bit embarassing. They not only failed to pick up the needed yard, I think they actually lost a yard or so, didn't they?

That said, my immediate thought was this was a "throw-away" play to get a look and run on tape for future teams to think about, so that at some time the same formation will be used, and Rodgers will stand up and throw to someone getting past a DB. When it happens, remember that it was set up in the Viking game!

They got the push they wanted but two guys on the left missed cutoff blocks.

They used that same, or similar, personnel package later to much better effect. But I did not see that formation again.

Upnorth
10-28-2013, 12:34 PM

They used a mirror formation later an threw it close to the goal line with out sucsess. ARod was sacked or wrapped up close to the line of scrimmage (i think)

run pMc
10-28-2013, 12:36 PM
My reaction was, "What was that?"

Yeah, mine too.
I thought it was a stupid formation/call, but I figured it was a setup for future play with Rodgers doing a bootleg run/pass option. Still, packing that many players in so tightly makes it tough to get a yard on the ground.

Fritz
10-28-2013, 01:00 PM
That was weird, watching Jennings jabber in Rodgers's ear while he just listened.

Rodgers had the same look on his face that I get on mine when my ex-wife calls and explains something for three minutes that I understood in the first three seconds.

MadtownPacker
10-28-2013, 01:06 PM
Agreed. Sitton had an almost quizzical look on his face as he saw Jennings, as if to ask, "Why are you talking to ME?"

The encounter with Rodgers was odd, too. It went on unusually long, with Rodgers saying absolutely nothing until at the very end. The length wouldn't have been so odd if it was a back and forth conversation, but it wasn't. It seemed like Rodgers was trying to pull away, and Jennings just held on. Rodgers didn't seem to be interested at all in seeing him.

It is so common place to see players greet former team mates with big grins, a quick hug and even laughter. Players from his former team often group around the one who left, waiting for a quick word. No one seemed to be looking for GJ, and those he cornered looked like they wanted to escape.Oh man was that hug uncomfortable looking. Rodgers had a look like go fuck yourself Greg on his face but jennings made 10x more awkward with his crazy hold he had on. Like he want to feel like a winner for just a bit. Glad they all shined him on in a classy way. Makes it sting even worse.

Teamcheez1
10-28-2013, 01:09 PM
I thought it would be interesting to see how our TE's would be used now that Finley was out.

Quarless caught two passes for 13 yards. He/They were obviously called upon to block in the run game. Overall, I saw nothing that stood out. It didn't appear anyone was targeted on specific plays or down the field, but it would be hard to tell if they were simply covered, or just the third or fourth option. I certainly hope that Quarless/Bostick/Taylor can give us a little more in the passing game down the road.

Freak Out
10-28-2013, 01:40 PM

I was sure they were going to pass out of it. Was really bummed when they ran it.

Guiness
10-28-2013, 01:47 PM
Impressive was Kuhn's catch. Clutch moment, he slipped out of the backfield the forgotten man and converted that 4th down.

Tony Oday
10-28-2013, 03:06 PM
AJ Hawk. Just a damn stud since CMIII has gone out. Hitting holes like a pimp on his ho. He is wwrapping up people, putting preasure on the QB and staying with TEs. I love it!

CaptainKickass
10-28-2013, 03:24 PM
I'd like to add:

2 of 2 successfully converted on 4th down. Including the fact that MM decided to go for it twice on 4th down. I'm not sure I recall him doing it 2x in one game before.

hoosier
10-28-2013, 03:31 PM
I'd like to add:

2 of 2 successfully converted on 4th down. Including the fact that MM decided to go for it twice on 4th down. I'm not sure I recall him doing it 2x in one game before.

Didn't get to watch second half, but was surprised to see that MM went for it on 4th and 3 from around or just outside the Minnesota 40. 4th and 1 I could see, but three yards to go pretty much removes the threat of the run. Did any of the journalists ask him about this later? Presumably he was trying to set the tone for the second half, especially after having just given up a quick score at the end of the first half. Interesting to speculate on how the tone of the second half might have differed if the Packers punt or don't pick up the fourth and three.

KYPack
10-28-2013, 03:32 PM
Oh man was that hug uncomfortable looking. Rodgers had a look like go fuck yourself Greg on his face but jennings made 10x more awkward with his crazy hold he had on. Like he want to feel like a winner for just a bit. Glad they all shined him on in a classy way. Makes it sting even worse.

Times a hundred.

I really couldn't believe how much of a focus Jennings off season statements were in the pre-game hype.

He knows he fucked up major and was trying to repair shit with the Arod hug, shaking the other boys hand, etc.

Anybody hear anything from his stupid sister?

Brandon494
10-28-2013, 04:06 PM

Just shows how good this D-line is playing this year.

Brandon494
10-28-2013, 04:07 PM
I guess I'll give some props to Mike Daniels since no one else will but keep praising Hawk for his mediocre games. :wink:

MadScientist
10-28-2013, 04:33 PM
I can't believe everyone here has miss the most stunning fact from the game - no injuries. We are not waiting to hear who is going to miss how many games, because nobody was injured.

denverYooper
10-28-2013, 04:35 PM
I can't believe everyone here has miss the most stunning fact from the game - no injuries. We are not waiting to hear who is going to miss how many games, because nobody was injured.

Nobody wanted to jinx it.

Cheesehead Craig
10-28-2013, 04:38 PM
I was impressed with Lattimore's speed. Admittedly I've missed some of the games this year so I'm just noticing it now, but the boy's got some quick to him.

Patler
10-28-2013, 04:48 PM

Just shows how good this D-line is playing this year.

Ya, that is a significant part of it; but the LBs still had to make plays, too; either making the actual tackle and not getting juked out of their jocks, or filling areas to direct AP where they wanted him. I had visions of Neal and Malumba sprawled on the ground grasp at AP's shadow.

Brandon494
10-28-2013, 04:57 PM
Also like to point out the 3rd and one jumbo play call was horrible, defense committed to the run the whole way. For a team that is known for passing the ball on third and short why not line up in a more pass friendly formation keeping the defense guessing? I mean you can still run the pass but at least the defense would still have to think about Rodgers passing pre snap.

Brandon494
10-28-2013, 04:59 PM
Ya, that is a significant part of it; but the LBs still had to make plays, too; either making the actual tackle and not getting juked out of their jocks, or filling areas to direct AP where they wanted him. I had visions of Neal and Malumba sprawled on the ground grasp at AP's shadow.

Well thats just good coaching by Kevin Greene.

George Cumby
10-28-2013, 08:10 PM
Pregame from Packers.com

http://prod.images.packers.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/PACKERS/assets/images/imported/GB/photos/clubimages/2013/10-October/temp131027-packers-vikings-becker-5--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720

The non-verbals say it all. Jordy would rather be anywhere but there.

George Cumby
10-28-2013, 08:13 PM
I guess I'll give some props to Mike Daniels since no one else will but keep praising Hawk for his mediocre games. :wink:

I loved the Daniels pick out of Iowa. Another TT classic pick: smart,motor guy who loves the game and has a history of bringing his best during big games.

LP
10-28-2013, 08:50 PM
Pregame from Packers.com

Is that Jennings hanging on to the only ball he caught all game?

King Friday
10-28-2013, 08:51 PM
He should be asking Jordy to sign that ball for him...or his sister.

Guiness
10-28-2013, 09:39 PM
The non-verbals say it all. Jordy would rather be anywhere but there.

I think that's time I've seen Jordy not smiling.

Pugger
10-29-2013, 01:56 AM
I think that's time I've seen Jordy not smiling.

The stone faces of all the players Greg sought out after the game told me all I needed to know. I also heard he ducked out of the Queens' locker room and didn't face reporters later on. What a fake.

pittstang5
10-29-2013, 06:42 AM
The stone faces of all the players Greg sought out after the game told me all I needed to know. I also heard he ducked out of the Queens' locker room and didn't face reporters later on. What a fake.

Such a shame how players can change. I always thought of Jennings as Driver II - personality wise. Always smiling, family man, humble, thankful for the opportunity. A couple years ago, I would have laid money down that he would be a Packer for life.

I haven't watched the post-game interactions yet - I turned the game off once the Packers were guaranteed the win. But from what everyone is saying, sounds like Jennings really burned some bridges on his way out.