PDA

View Full Version : Johnathan Franklin

Patler
10-28-2013, 11:09 AM
I hate to keep ragging on the guy, but the game really seems too big for him. At the time of the draft, he was portrayed as a heady player, good in pass pro, good receiver and a guy who should be a dependable kick returner. Yet time and time again he seems intimidated by the situations he is in, and makes crucial mistakes.

A year on a practice squad would have been best for him.

Cheesehead Craig
10-28-2013, 11:14 AM
The good news is, he's not being asked to do much, if anything now that Lacy and Starks are healthy. Yeah, the kick return was boneheaded on his part but it didn't hurt.

Given how the RB situation was and that he did alright in preseason, I think the PS idea is more hindsight than what was happening and seemed appropriate at the time.

Patler
10-28-2013, 11:31 AM
The good news is, he's not being asked to do much, if anything now that Lacy and Starks are healthy. Yeah, the kick return was boneheaded on his part but it didn't hurt.

Given how the RB situation was and that he did alright in preseason, I think the PS idea is more hindsight than what was happening and seemed appropriate at the time.

I thought he did absolutely nothing during the preseason, and even worse looked very bad doing nothing. Because of that, I argued at the time of the last cut down that he should be released and brought back to the PS. If he signed somewhere else, don't worry about it. I am only repeating now what I advocated then.

He has looked overwhelmed since the start of training camp.

He probably mishandled three kicks last night, coming from 9 yards deep on one and getting only to the 10, failing to catch the second which hit in the end zone and could have been a disaster had it bounced sideways or back toward the field, and then the last that he hesitated about coming out or staying in on.

It's only a matter of time before a foul up like those costs them dearly in a close game.

Guiness
10-28-2013, 11:37 AM
doubt he could've been snuck onto the PS

Joemailman
10-28-2013, 11:41 AM
Franklin did not return kicks in college. Maybe they need to stop trying to force a rookie to something he doesn't do well. He's a running back. He's had a 100 yard rushing game this year. The coaches should put him in a position where he can have some success. Let Hyde return kickoffs.

Patler
10-28-2013, 11:44 AM
doubt he could've been snuck onto the PS

If he couldn't have been, I wouldn't have cared.
He hadn't done anything that would have enticed a team to sign him to their regular roster (of course, neither did Charles Johnson) so signing him would have been a stab in the dark. Maybe he would have preferred to be on someone else' PS instead of GB's, but I wouldn't have cared.

Patler
10-28-2013, 11:49 AM
Franklin did not return kicks in college. Maybe they need to stop trying to force a rookie to something he doesn't do well. He's a running back. He's had a 100 yard rushing game this year. The coaches should put him in a position where he can have some success. Let Hyde return kickoffs.

The story was that Franklin fielded kicks all the time in practice while in college, that he wanted to return kicks, and that his open field skills and smarts should make him an ideal kick returner. But I agree, at this point he has proven that he is not very reliable at it.

I don't thinkHyde has ever returned kick offs in college either, has he?

pbmax
10-28-2013, 12:06 PM
Well Franklin might be demonstrating the difference between fielding kicks with no expectations in practice and actually having the job. I don't understand why he is back there. He never looked comfortable at any point even in the preseason. Not even camp, if we can believe reports. Was way too premature in my opinion.

As far as his RB skills go, he ran very well against a good Bengals team and looked like he can catch the ball out of the backfield. He looked like a different back in that game.

But those are 2 dimensions least called for right now. He needs time. It took Brandon Jackson 3 years to learn to pass block as the 3rd down back. He will likely develop, but I would be stunned if he is the KO returner anymore this year.

Joemailman
10-28-2013, 12:10 PM
The story was that Franklin fielded kicks all the time in practice while in college, that he wanted to return kicks, and that his open field skills and smarts should make him an ideal kick returner. But I agree, at this point he has proven that he is not very reliable at it.

I don't think Hyde has ever returned kick offs in college either, has he?

Hyde returned punts in college, but not kickoffs as far as I know. Hyde just strikes me as the type that can make the right decisions about whether to return a kick or not. Punt returners have to make that decision all the time. With most kickoffs now carrying well into the end zone, decision making on whether to return a kickoff is more important than it used to be.

Guiness
10-28-2013, 12:11 PM
He hadn't done anything that would have enticed a team to sign him to their regular roster (of course, neither did Charles Johnson) so signing him would have been a stab in the dark. Maybe he would have preferred to be on someone else' PS instead of GB's, but I wouldn't have cared.

He would've gotten picked up just because of his draft status as a fourth rounder...and one the pundits thought was a good value there. Some other team would've brought him in even just for a look see, the last time the Pack cut a 4th rounder (Aaron's distant cousin, Corey Rodgers) he did a little NFL farwell tour with stops in SF and other places I believe.

Patler
10-28-2013, 12:23 PM
He would've gotten picked up just because of his draft status as a fourth rounder...and one the pundits thought was a good value there. Some other team would've brought him in even just for a look see, the last time the Pack cut a 4th rounder (Aaron's distant cousin, Corey Rodgers) he did a little NFL farwell tour with stops in SF and other places I believe.

Perhaps so, and again, I wouldn't have cared.
Chris Harper is another example of a rookie 4th rounder getting ample opportunities with other teams, now including both SF and Green Bay after the Seahawks released him and signed him to their PS.

Franklin shows some skills as a RB, but can't be trusted to hang on to the ball right now.
He appears to be a disaster waiting to happen as a kick returner.

If a guy can't contribute on the 53 man roster, I don't worry much about whether or not he can be signed to the PS. Most players in that position never become much, although the occasional Scott Wells does.

gbgary
10-28-2013, 12:28 PM
I hate to keep ragging on the guy, but the game really seems too big for him. At the time of the draft, he was portrayed as a heady player, good in pass pro, good receiver and a guy who should be a dependable kick returner. Yet time and time again he seems intimidated by the situations he is in, and makes crucial mistakes.

he'd have been gone had that happened. he'll be fine. he showed in the cin game that he has skills.

Patler
10-28-2013, 12:34 PM
He was a fourth round draft pick. Would it have really mattered to lose him?

I don't think the Seahawks are devastated over losing Harper.

Joemailman
10-28-2013, 12:35 PM
The Packers are a draft and develop team. They'll stick with a guy as a rookie if they feel he has talent. Some guys just aren't ready as a rookie. But if they don't see development next year, he could be gone. See Terrell Manning.

Patler
10-28-2013, 12:42 PM
The Packers are a draft and develop team. They'll stick with a guy as a rookie if they feel he has talent. Some guys just aren't ready as a rookie. But if they don't see development next year, he could be gone. See Terrell Manning.

Yup, I agree; but they often use the PS to hang on to the development projects, realizing that they will lose one from time to time if they do that. Guys like Giacomini and McDonald who they kept on the roster one year and later tried to get to the PS only to lose them to someone else, and Charles Johnson who the lost already this year.

When the team is struggling to find enough healthy players to fill the game day roster, I hate wasting a spot on a guy who isn't ready.

Fritz
10-28-2013, 12:53 PM
Yup, I agree; but they often use the PS to hang on to the development projects, realizing that they will lose one from time to time if they do that. Guys like Giacomini and McDonald who they kept on the roster one year and later tried to get to the PS only to lose them to someone else, and Charles Johnson who the lost already this year.

When the team is struggling to find enough healthy players to fill the game day roster, I hate wasting a spot on a guy who isn't ready.

On a different note, Jeremy Ross had a really decisive, good kickoff return for Detroit yesterday. He looked like a different guy than the one that stumbled around in Green Bay.

I say fire Franklin and Slocum.

Franklin has shown very little, other than the Cinci game. I wonder how Alex Green is doing for the Jest?

Patler
10-28-2013, 12:57 PM
On a different note, Jeremy Ross had a really decisive, good kickoff return for Detroit yesterday. He looked like a different guy than the one that stumbled around in Green Bay.

Franklin has shown very little, other than the Cinci game. I wonder how Alex Green is doing for the Jest?

I watched the kick return by Ross, and thought immediately, "where was that guy in GB?".
Then I watched Franklin hesitate last night, much like Ross did earlier in the season.
Coaching???????

(Fire Slocum)

Joemailman
10-28-2013, 02:51 PM

In 7 games, Alex Green has 10 carries for 35 yards. No punt or kickoff returns.

Brandon494
10-28-2013, 03:53 PM
It towards the end of the game and he couldn't decide weather to kneel or run out the clock and had a brain fart. I wouldn't look too much into it, some rookies don't play great right out of the gate.

MadtownPacker
10-28-2013, 04:11 PM
None of these nabiscos would complain if it was say Kuhn fucking up on returns.

Patler
10-28-2013, 04:23 PM
It towards the end of the game and he couldn't decide weather to kneel or run out the clock and had a brain fart. I wouldn't look too much into it, some rookies to play great right out of the gate.

Well then, he had three brain farts yesterday.

First, thinking he was Cordarelle Patterson and running out from 9 yards deep, making it all the way to the 10.

Second, running away from and watching a kickoff hit in the endzone and bounce out slowly when he should have caught it and downed it. Could have been a Viking TD had they gotten to it.

Third, the should-I, shouldn't-I indecision at the end of the first half.

Brandon494
10-28-2013, 04:24 PM

Kuhn could have went backwards for a safety and they would still be yelling "KUHNNNNNN" :rs:

Patler
10-28-2013, 04:25 PM

I don't know, Kuhn took a lot of heat when he botched the blocked punt.

Brandon494
10-28-2013, 04:31 PM

First, thinking he was Cordarelle Patterson and running out from 9 yards deep, making it all the way to the 10.

Second, running away from and watching a kickoff hit in the endzone and bounce out slowly when he should have caught it and downed it. Could have been a Viking TD had they gotten to it.

The only one I really have a problem with is the return after Patterson. The guy might not be Devin Hester but he is too talented of a runner and no way could they have stashed this guy on the PS. Hes already shown more as a rookie to me then guys like Brandon Jackson or Alex Green when they were drafted.

pbmax
10-28-2013, 05:02 PM
Funny, because the one I have no problem with is the return from 9 yards deep. While that is deep for even M3/Slocum, they tend to encourage running it out even when deep and even after kicks with good hang times. I have no problem with him following instructions.

Its his coach I suspect that is not good at giving instruction.

Patler
10-28-2013, 05:10 PM
The one that bothered me the most was the second. It was a free ball that could have been a disaster if it kicked sideways or backwards. All he needed to do was drift back and catch it.

I, too, was least concerned about the return from 9 yards deep. We've see that one before.

Joemailman
10-28-2013, 05:14 PM
Funny, because the one I have no problem with is the return from 9 yards deep. While that is deep for even M3/Slocum, they tend to encourage running it out even when deep and even after kicks with good hang times. I have no problem with him following instructions.

Its his coach I suspect that is not good at giving instruction.

Have the coaches changed their tune on returning from deep in the end zone?

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/09/rookie-coob-ignores-coachs-rule-in-groundbreaking-td-return/1#.Um7gZ_lwqSo

Packers rookie Randall Cobb tied an NFL record with his 108-yard kickoff return for a TD in Thursday night's opener against the Saints.

Already the first person born in the 1990's to play in an NFL regular season game, Cobb (born 8/22/1990) also became the first 90's kid to score a touchdown, and the first returner to house a kickoff under the new rules, which moved kickoffs from the 30 to the 35 yard line.

Problem is, he wasn't supposed to be running 108 yards.

"I was not really happy with his decision," said coach Mike McCarthy, whose rule is no returns deeper than five yards into the end zone. "But it's one of the best returns I've seen. You've got to be excited about Randall. He's got a chance to be special."

Cobb says he was looking to a higher power.

"I was just trusting in God," Cobb said. "He told me to bring it out. I'm not supposed to bring that out. Some things are logical and some things are just the power of God."

Is it now God's call whether they return those?

pbmax
10-28-2013, 05:31 PM
Have the coaches changed their tune on returning from deep in the end zone?

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/09/rookie-coob-ignores-coachs-rule-in-groundbreaking-td-return/1#.Um7gZ_lwqSo

That was what McCarthy said then and Cobb did alter his approach for a time. But since then, they have been returning from deep in the endzone again. The five yards deep rule did not seem to hold.

HarveyWallbangers
10-28-2013, 05:55 PM

Obviously, Ted Thompson cared. He must think Franklin could develop into a decent player. Quite honestly, I see a Brandon Jackson-like third down back at most.

HarveyWallbangers
10-28-2013, 05:57 PM
Chris Harper is another example of a rookie 4th rounder getting ample opportunities with other teams, now including both SF and Green Bay after the Seahawks released him and signed him to their PS.

How many 4th round picks are not on an active roster (practice squad)?

Freak Out
10-28-2013, 05:59 PM
Way to early to give up on Franklin. That might be my Pac 12 bias coming to the fore, but I think he will develop into a good pro player.

Brandon494
10-28-2013, 06:02 PM
Obviously, Ted Thompson cared. He must think Franklin could develop into a decent player. Quite honestly, I see a Brandon Jackson-like third down back at most.

I hope he can pass block like Brandon Jackson but hes a far better runner for sure.

Smeefers
10-28-2013, 07:27 PM
I'm willing to give him this year on the roster, if I had a say in it anyway. He's my 53rd man. You can't tell me stonebrenner or some of the other 3rd stringers produce that much more than him. If he's still sucking ash come preseason next year, then I let him go.

George Cumby
10-28-2013, 07:59 PM
I'm willing to give him this year on the roster, if I had a say in it anyway. He's my 53rd man. You can't tell me stonebrenner or some of the other 3rd stringers produce that much more than him. If he's still sucking ash come preseason next year, then I let him go.

This.

George Cumby
10-28-2013, 08:00 PM

LOL!

MadtownPacker
10-28-2013, 08:21 PM

Third, the should-I, shouldn't-I indecision at the end of the first half.The first one I have to chalk up to rookie excitement and as you mentioned wanting to be like Patterson. I can't really hold it against him for wanting to do something great. Maybe he felt like Rodgers and I did, that there was no way they where losing that game.

The second one is that one that was the I didn't like very stupid error and when I as a fan feel like jumping into the TV you would think a guy who plays pro would have the reaction also. So agree with you on that one.

The third was not a big deal IMO.

MadtownPacker
10-28-2013, 08:22 PM
I believe he was referring to TT.

pbmax
10-28-2013, 08:34 PM
I hope he can pass block like Brandon Jackson but hes a far better runner for sure.

I think the Bengals game showed that, so I agree. Its was only one game and he is a surprise entrant, but he looked good.

I think his role in the Bruins offense, single back in a spread, is going to mean he has a lot of adjusting to do the Packers running offense. The only thing the Packer's aren't running right now are the Packers Sweep and the Counter Trey.

King Friday
10-28-2013, 08:50 PM
Franklin has natural running ability. You can't coach it. Perhaps he'll never figure it out between his ears or become a true fit in our system, but you don't draft a kid like that in the 4th round and then dump him after one mediocre preseason...especially if your name is TT. They stuck with Alex Green for how long...and he never looked half as good as Franklin did as a runner when he got a chance at playing time against Cincinnati. Green was the right guy to let go...and we did.

Patler
10-28-2013, 09:33 PM

Well sure he does, just as he cared about keeping Rodgers as his QB and Ross as his return man/5th receiver. I don't have a problem with a noncontributor until the roster becomes decimated with injuries. Keeping Newhouse as a healthy scratch for 14 weeks before going on IR was a good move his rookie year. I hope it works as well for Franklin and that Franklin follows a Brandon Jackson-like development, but with more staying power than Jackson seems to have had.

George Cumby
10-28-2013, 10:49 PM
Well sure he does, just as he cared about keeping Rodgers as his QB and Ross as his return man/5th receiver. I don't have a problem with a noncontributor until the roster becomes decimated with injuries. Keeping Newhouse as a healthy scratch for 14 weeks before going on IR was a good move his rookie year. I hope it works as well for Franklin and that Franklin follows a Brandon Jackson-like development, but with more staying power than Jackson seems to have had.

I think we kicked that one around the room before. Had Jackson stuck around, he probably would have had a nice little career. Instead he tried to go for big money and "pffft....." I hope some of these vets look at guys like Jackson and Jennings and consider giving the Pack the hometown discount. I would imagine that James Jones is happy that he didn't get a whole lot of interest and is playing on a contending team.

Patler
10-28-2013, 11:05 PM
I think we kicked that one around the room before. Had Jackson stuck around, he probably would have had a nice little career. Instead he tried to go for big money and "pffft....." I hope some of these vets look at guys like Jackson and Jennings and consider giving the Pack the hometown discount. I would imagine that James Jones is happy that he didn't get a whole lot of interest and is playing on a contending team.

I think you have hit on what it is that makes the Packers so good at playing with their own homegrown talent. They are are very good at identifying what abilities each player has and scheming ways to use those abilities without relying on the players to do more than they are able to.

Brandon494
10-28-2013, 11:37 PM
Looks like Hyde will take over the KR duties...

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/micah-hyde-expected-to-be-named-new-kickoff-returner-b99129774z1-229643501.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

NewsBruin
10-28-2013, 11:47 PM

Granted, it's easy to say all this after the fact, but I was kinda disappointed with us picking Brandon Jackson from the get-go. The evaluations were almost exactly something like, "Moderate speed, decent in the passing game, not quick at all, will not find a hole in time, will not break a long run, will not break most pro tackles, not a pro-level returner." I mean, if that's the general consensus, why waste a second-rounder on a running back who can't run the ball?

Soo...if you've made it through your first NFL contract, you caught a 14-yard pass in a Super Bowl victory, and you know (or your agent's told you) that you're not going to be looking at a ten-year career, TAKE THE MONEY. Brandon Jackson got $4.5 million from Cleveland and almost immediately drew a "Go directly to IR" card. For TWO GAMES with the Browns, he made just a little less than double what he made in four seasons with the Packers ($2.8 million). Then he signed for another year in 2013, but at ~$700K with no bonus, and was cut in camp.

I mean, I love cheering for Green Bay, but if I were a player looking at contract #2, I'd seriously consider the short-term over hometown discount. I mean, we love our Packers, yes, but what dependable annual income would you honestly consider an ex-Packer would net? Could a former second-stringer count on $200K/year on fish fries, community banquets, car dealership signings, football camps, and local carpet-store commercials? $100K? $50K? For how many years? Do you think he reduced his ex-Packer earnings by any significant amount by playing two games in three years with Cleveland?

Brandon Jackson went "for big money," got it, and quickly got hurt. I don't think he has many mornings dragging himself out of bed that he wishes he could have stayed with Green Bay for less money.

mission
10-28-2013, 11:48 PM
OK, so he's not a kick returner right now, but did you guys watch the Bengals game? He obviously has talent. He brings another dimension that Alex Green and Brandon Jackson could only dream of. Brandon Jackson at most? Come on. BJ was a 'barely-can-run, but he can protect Rodgers and we have nothing else' running back you kiddin?

We had this exact same thread actually before that Bengals game if I remember right and everyone said he was a bust. And I said he'll be just fine. Dude is good, he's just not going to get any opportunities right now the way our backs are pounding the rock. Go back and watch that Cincy game if you don't remember.

run pMc
10-29-2013, 07:56 AM
He's green as grass but has some talent. Give him time and some patience.

pbmax
10-29-2013, 09:05 AM
I'm with NB. If you aren't a first round pick, that first contract might well be the most money you ever have a chance of earning.

denverYooper
10-29-2013, 09:20 AM
OK, so he's not a kick returner right now, but did you guys watch the Bengals game? He obviously has talent. He brings another dimension that Alex Green and Brandon Jackson could only dream of. Brandon Jackson at most? Come on. BJ was a 'barely-can-run, but he can protect Rodgers and we have nothing else' running back you kiddin?

We had this exact same thread actually before that Bengals game if I remember right and everyone said he was a bust. And I said he'll be just fine. Dude is good, he's just not going to get any opportunities right now the way our backs are pounding the rock. Go back and watch that Cincy game if you don't remember.

He was keeping GB in the game until that fumble.

Pugger
10-29-2013, 10:05 AM

Even tho he has made mistakes I suspect we didn't want to risk exposing him by placing him on the PS. Wouldn't he have had to clear waivers at the end of TC first?

Pugger
10-29-2013, 10:10 AM

I don't think ANY of our guys should contemplate bringing it out on kick-offs until further notice.