PDA

View Full Version : 50 of 53

Patler
10-28-2013, 12:07 PM
They stated last night that 50 of 53 Packers have never played a game for another team. Pickett, Kuhn and Wallace are the only ones who have ever played a game for another team.

I think we all knew that, but last night they added some perspective. The next closest team to being home-grown has 13 players who have played for another team.

Packers - 50 + 3
Next closest - 40 + 13.

Joemailman
10-28-2013, 12:12 PM
I'll bet Ted Thompson has a huge garden because he hates going to the grocery store.

Upnorth
10-28-2013, 12:15 PM
At least we know why we have such a soft team. They never have to lift heavy moving boxes so they don't develop core strenght.

Little Whiskey
10-28-2013, 12:54 PM
What the hell was wrong with thompson's nose? It was a crazy shade of purple.

Fritz
10-28-2013, 12:56 PM
Alcohol?

Cheesehead Craig
10-28-2013, 01:27 PM
At least we know why we have such a soft team. They never have to lift heavy moving boxes so they don't develop core strenght.

Stupid soft team only rushing for over 180 yds last night and having a top 5 rush team and rush defense overall. Soft as Charmin. Doing it TTs, MMs, and DCs way won't work I tell ya.

Harlan Huckleby
10-28-2013, 02:00 PM
I think the 50 of 53 stat is a black mark for TT. It indicates he is too rigid in his approach.

TT has been highly successful, but I suspect he could do even better with a few more free agents.

mmmdk
10-28-2013, 02:10 PM
Alcohol?

Vodka looks like water...

ThunderDan
10-28-2013, 03:56 PM
I think the 50 of 53 stat is a black mark for TT. It indicates he is too rigid in his approach.

TT has been highly successful, but I suspect he could do even better with a few more free agents.

So if we somehow win the Super Bowl this year making it 2 out of the last 4 Super Bowls is it still a black mark against TT?

Joemailman
10-28-2013, 05:06 PM
So if we somehow win the Super Bowl this year making it 2 out of the last 4 Super Bowls is it still a black mark against TT?

Yes, because it obviously would have been 4 in a row if he hadn't been so stubborn.

KYPack
10-28-2013, 05:21 PM
They stated last night that 50 of 53 Packers have never played a game for another team. Pickett, Kuhn and Wallace are the only ones who have ever played a game for another team.

I think we all knew that, but last night they added some perspective. The next closest team to being home-grown has 13 players who have played for another team.

Packers - 50 + 3
Next closest - 40 + 13.

Chris Harper R WR should be on that list (I think he got in a game for Seattle).

So that means 49 out of 53, right?

(HH is probably pulling your leg, or his own leash, whichever is more lame)

Joemailman
10-28-2013, 05:32 PM
Chris Harper R WR should be on that list (I think he got in a game for Seattle).

So that means 49 out of 53, right?

(HH is probably pulling your leg, or his own leash, whichever is more lame)

Harper was cut by Seattle in final round of cuts. 49ers signed him off their practice squad. He was on the 49ers 53 man roster, but I don't know that he was ever active on game day. So the 50 may be right.

Patler
10-28-2013, 05:37 PM
They wrote when Harper was signed that he was inactive every game for SF before they, too, waived him.

pbmax
10-28-2013, 05:41 PM
Pro Football Reference has him down for zero games in San Fran. But KY gets to an interesting point, Thompson did not land all these guys before other teams got to look at them. He took some leftovers and has made them contributors (Tramon Williams, for example).

Its a good reason to not panic about draft picks and young players. Several of the Packers players from other teams played positions of need for the teams they originally signed with (Tramon was with Texas when they needed to upgrade their secondary and defense and the Jags needed receivers (Boykin) in a bad way).

HarveyWallbangers
10-28-2013, 06:01 PM
Pro Football Reference has him down for zero games in San Fran. But KY gets to an interesting point, Thompson did not land all these guys before other teams got to look at them. He took some leftovers and has made them contributors (Tramon Williams, for example).

Its a good reason to not panic about draft picks and young players. Several of the Packers players from other teams played positions of need for the teams they originally signed with (Tramon was with Texas when they needed to upgrade their secondary and defense and the Jags needed receivers (Boykin) in a bad way).

Several of those guys, in fact. Williams, Boykin, Banjo, etc. Did Kuhn actually play a game for Pittsburgh? I thought he was on their practice squad.

Joemailman
10-28-2013, 06:10 PM
Several of those guys, in fact. Williams, Boykin, Banjo, etc. Did Kuhn actually play a game for Pittsburgh? I thought he was on their practice squad.

Kuhn played for Pittsburgh in 2006. But I think the Packers may have signed him off their practice squad in 2007.

King Friday
10-28-2013, 06:59 PM
It's been nice not having to deal with wist lately.

Harlan Huckleby
10-28-2013, 07:08 PM

In my opinion, ya. But I won't be carrying torches to TT's house in any event.

A team benefits from both a passing game (drafting) and a running game (free agency.)

Sometimes a team that is far out of balance wins the Superbowl.

I think TT could build a better team if he had a bit more balanced approach. I don't consider a 50 of 53 mark a badge of honor. I do respect TT as an excellent GM doing things his way.

Pugger
10-29-2013, 01:59 AM

He won't show up in here until we lose again. :?

Upnorth
10-29-2013, 08:03 AM

I like having varying view points. Also we have been playing more base d and are establishing a more physical style which is what he advocates. We are seeing success with it.

3irty1
10-29-2013, 09:03 AM
This has much to do with the synergistic nature of Ted's approach.

When you have success you lose FA's which means gaining comp picks.

When you consistently draft BPA, you can often trade down to let the bones decide which player you get in the likely event that you have multiple players in the same tier.

When you combine extra picks with the kind of success we've had deep in our drafts you have an embarrassment of riches to the point where you're cutting rosterable NFL talent after camp. Adding budget free agents would be diminishing returns.

When you're a playoff team for an extended length of time you have the luxury of taking on projects like Lattimore, Brad Jones, Jennings, EDS, etc and actually seeing them bare fruit.

Just because a player has only played for the Packers, does not mean they weren't signed as free agents. Part of the benefit of Ted's method is the savings we get from paying guys below their market value on rookie contracts. Guys like Cobb, House, Daniels, Wilson, Hyde, etc. These players make it possible to keep our own in FA like James Jones or prevent our own from ever being free agents like Burnett, Jones, Lang, Nelson and others who have 2nd contracts. I don't mention Rodgers or Matthews there because they would never be cap casualties.

50 of 53 is something to be proud of.

pbmax
10-29-2013, 09:30 AM
He won't show up in here until we lose again. :?

wist did make a cameo in the Game Day thread.

Pugger
10-29-2013, 09:57 AM
wist did make a cameo in the Game Day thread.

Oh, I missed that.

Upnorth
10-29-2013, 11:04 AM
MM strikes me as a coach who teaches as well as designing plays for his talent. I know Clements and Greene are as well. The teaching method combined with TT team building style maximizes our players over time. I think MM and TT complement each other better than most coach GM combos and this helps see our success.

KYPack
10-29-2013, 03:56 PM
MM strikes me as a coach who teaches as well as designing plays for his talent. I know Clements and Greene are as well. The teaching method combined with TT team building style maximizes our players over time. I think MM and TT complement each other better than most coach GM combos and this helps see our success.

This is the part that is totally over my head.

Does MM give TT wish list and Thompson does a "trust me", or what?

These two guys are obviously joined at hip, but I can't imagine what kind of dialogue happens btw tollbooth Mike and "the Ghost".

This is a meld btw a first class FO and a crack coaching staff.

Cheesehead Craig
10-29-2013, 04:05 PM

These two guys are obviously joined at hip, but I can't imagine what kind of dialogue happens btw tollbooth Mike and "the Ghost".

I for one would love to hear from one of those two on how things actually were between them and how FA and draft discussions went.

Patler
10-30-2013, 11:20 AM
More data on this topic:

As of two weeks ago, the Packers' league-high 14 rookies were well above the league's team average of 8.9. And 28 players on the roster are fifth-round picks or lower.

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/ted-thompson-keeps-building-confidence-b99128277z1-229877221.html#ixzz2jDqr4njn
Follow us: @NewsHub on Twitter

28 of 53 are 5th round and lower picks. I don't know how that compares to the league average, but it's interesting that more than half of the roster is made up of players who were long-shots to even stick in the NFL.

Upnorth
10-30-2013, 11:25 AM
So this is proof TT is bad at drafting as over half of the team does not come in the top four rounds, the shame, the horror.

Patler
10-30-2013, 11:39 AM
So this is proof TT is bad at drafting as over half of the team does not come in the top four rounds, the shame, the horror.

...and yet, Alex Green is the only player from the last five drafts in rounds 1-4 who is no longer with the team!

Maybe we should criticize his ability to find players who will have longevity!

Guiness
10-30-2013, 12:49 PM
...and yet, Alex Green is the only player from the last five drafts in rounds 1-4 who is no longer with the team!

That's interesting and I'd like to do my own 'how built' list. All players from rounds 1-4 from last 5 drafts, especially when you add in that with the addition of Stoneburner, there are 13 rookies on the squad this year. That number could go to 14 if Tretter is activated.

Patler
10-30-2013, 01:01 PM
That's interesting and I'd like to do my own 'how built' list. All players from rounds 1-4 from last 5 drafts, especially when you add in that with the addition of Stoneburner, there are 13 rookies on the squad this year. That number could go to 14 if Tretter is activated.

Per the quote I posted above, JSO already has them at 14 rookies.

Patler
10-30-2013, 01:05 PM

Per the quote I posted above, JSO already has them at 14 rookies.

Bakhtiari
Banjo
Barrington
Boyd
Franklin
Harper
Hyde
Jones
Lacy
Mulumba
Palmer
Stoneburner
Taylor
White

14 rookies, and two more "1st year" players:
Bostic
Nixon

Fritz
10-30-2013, 01:24 PM

It's easy. It goes like this:

MM: Ted, I need another receiver. And a center, a real one.

TT: Hmmmm.

MM: And Dom, he's still looking for a safety to pair with Burnett. I know that McMillan kid has the potential, but I dunno how long we can let him go out there and fuck up until he figures it out.

TT: Hmmmmm.

MM: And I'd like to see you re-sign Jermichael. I know he's a pain in the ass, and he's hurt, but I love that kid like a wayward son. A very wayward son. That I had out of wedlock with my African-American girlfriend twenty-six years ago.

TT: Hmmmm.

cheesner
10-30-2013, 02:31 PM

Its only because TT has such a huge ego - he refuses to cut the guys he drafts. What an ass-hat.

George Cumby
10-31-2013, 12:11 AM
It's easy. It goes like this:

MM: Ted, I need another receiver. And a center, a real one.

TT: *crickets*

MM: And Dom, he's still looking for a safety to pair with Burnett. I know that McMillan kid has the potential, but I dunno how long we can let him go out there and fuck up until he figures it out.

MM: And I'd like to see you re-sign Jermichael. I know he's a pain in the ass, and he's hurt, but I love that kid like a wayward son. A very wayward son. That I had out of wedlock with my African-American girlfriend twenty-six years ago.

MM: never mind.......

My version