PDA

View Full Version : Studs and Duds: Packers @ Vikings (Last Tango in Rollerdome)

run pMc
10-29-2013, 08:10 AM
Studs
Rodgers - Where to start? Accurate, focused, in total command.
Lacy - Give him a day off to soak in the ice bath. 29 carries to physically whip a proud and desperate defense.
Jordy - played big in a big game.
Daniels - got 2 sacks, provided interior pressure
Starks - looked fast, good lean, ripped thru the defense. Should have had more carries.
Hyde - on the fence here; his coverage was OK, but his PR TD made up for the Patterson TD and gave GB some momentum to go with a 2 TD lead. After this, MIN was in a shootout and Ponder didn't have the bullets.

U]Duds[/U]
Tramon - 1st PI call was a bad call, the 2nd one (the slide tackle attempt on Patterson) was a legit call and was at best lame and at worst dangerous. Could've hurt himself or Patterson.
4th Qtr defense - I realized they had shuttled in a lot of backups (Josh Boyd did not impress) but they made the score look closer than the game was.
KO coverage - Patterson is dangerous returner, but you get a dud when you give up a 109yd TD and a 50+ yard return on another KO.

Joemailman
10-29-2013, 08:14 AM
Dud - Datone Jones - Only time I heard his name was when he committed a personal foul penalty.

Stud - Bakhtiari - Made Jared Allen disappear. Hadn't seen that since Chad Clifton's heyday.

KYPack
10-29-2013, 09:17 AM
Studs

Mike Daniels This kid is unreal. Great leverage, quick, strong, real violent with his hands. A 3 tech playing in a 3-4, he's a force out there. Got doubled last week and this week, the ultimate compliment for a DLineman.

John Jolly Quick, but also strong like truck has been a presence all year.

Boykin Green kid that plays like a vet. Knows the whole route tree and runs 'em right. We needed somebody to be there and this kid did it to help free Jordy.

Christian Ponder. He was trying to help the Packers, wasn't he?

Dom Capers All the gimmick stuff happens when Dom is trying to lash together a defense. When he has the troops, his schemes are super sound.

Duds

Greg Jennings What was he saying in the interviews before this game? Blabber on, ya tongue tied sumbitch. Shoot your mouth off in the summer, then spend all winter trying to back off what ya said. Great plan.

pbmax
10-29-2013, 09:22 AM
I am in on 4th quarter defense, mainly pass defense. Way too much open field. I think its close to being correct, they do seem to get close to the QB to change timing or footwork, but its not enough yet. Doesn't help that Capers (I am channeling for wist here), whenever he faces a younger and questionable QB ramps up the blitzes. When they did not get home right away, he found holes in the coverage. Ponder is not enough of a 4th Qtr threat to change the plan.

Versus the Vikings, you are going straight up against the best of the Vikings offense (O lines and RBs in pass block) with that tactic. Let Ponder do something dumb or run.

Stud - EDS might not be able to reach block, but he ran over a LB a couple of times

Starks just a startling player when healthy

Dud - Doc Jennings - at this point I expect the Packers to find a second safety the day after Matthews retires

Guiness
10-29-2013, 09:36 AM
As mentioned in the 'things I saw that I liked' thread, the biggest stud was the injury bug staying away. The Pack tempted fate on that by putting Starks on the field!

Pugger
10-29-2013, 09:53 AM
As mentioned in the 'things I saw that I liked' thread, the biggest stud was the injury bug staying away. The Pack tempted fate on that by putting Starks on the field!

This all day long!!!

denverYooper
10-29-2013, 11:54 AM
I am in on 4th quarter defense, mainly pass defense. Way too much open field. I think its close to being correct, they do seem to get close to the QB to change timing or footwork, but its not enough yet. Doesn't help that Capers (I am channeling for wist here), whenever he faces a younger and questionable QB ramps up the blitzes. When they did not get home right away, he found holes in the coverage. Ponder is not enough of a 4th Qtr threat to change the plan.

That usually feels bad to me also because it usually results in GB being good for some easy garbage yards/scores, but I wonder if he's just trying to get a look at some of those blitzes (or get reps on guys there) when the game's out of reach.

pbmax
10-29-2013, 12:13 PM
That usually feels bad to me also because it usually results in GB being good for some easy garbage yards/scores, but I wonder if he's just trying to get a look at some of those blitzes (or get reps on guys there) when the game's out of reach.

Unsure. Its odd, because he has had good luck with 3/4 man rushes late and forcing a short throw.

Joemailman
10-29-2013, 12:54 PM
Edgar Bennett and Kevin Greene. These guys aren't getting enough credit for the level of play of guys who weren't expected to start this year.

Guiness
10-29-2013, 01:25 PM
Dud: Rodgers - no close win, again. :soap:

Patler
10-29-2013, 02:25 PM
Dud: Rodgers - no close win, again. :soap:

But he is darned good at 1st quarter comeback wins!

cheesner
10-29-2013, 03:18 PM
4th Qtr defense - I realized they had shuttled in a lot of backups (Josh Boyd did not impress) but they made the score look closer than the game was.

Benefits of not blowing out teams:

1. Subbing in young kids gives them opportunity to develop
2. Maintain 'under the radar' status when your team isn't ranked highly in stats
3. Avoid injury to stars
4. Bench time saves wear and tear on starters
5. If you beat em by 100 it counts the same as if you beat em by 1
6. When is the last time that Playoff seeding has made it down to the 'total points scored' tie-breaker?

KYPack
10-29-2013, 03:39 PM
Unsure. Its odd, because he has had good luck with 3/4 man rushes late and forcing a short throw.

GBP lead the league in sacks off blitzes.

Tony Oday
10-29-2013, 05:00 PM
Hawk

King Friday
10-29-2013, 05:59 PM
Edgar Bennett and Kevin Greene. These guys aren't getting enough credit for the level of play of guys who weren't expected to start this year.

Yes and yes. Especially Greene...who is taking guys that haven't played at the LB position in years and making them look like respectable players.

Brandon494
10-29-2013, 05:59 PM
Stud:
Rodgers
Running game
Nelson
D-line
Hyde
Crosby perfect on the day

Duds:
Kick off coverage
Franklin returning kicks

Brandon494
10-29-2013, 06:03 PM
Yes and yes. Especially Greene...who is taking guys that haven't played at the LB position in years and making them look like respectable players.

I was watching NFL Network a few weeks ago and they had a show on the top 10 pass rushers of all-time and to my surprise Greene was #6, he was on steroids at the time though. :razz:

George Cumby
10-29-2013, 07:23 PM

Bennett will be a head coach, someday.

Noodle
10-29-2013, 08:28 PM
Bennett will be a head coach, someday.

I don't disagree. He's made the step from RB coach to WR coach and done what appears to this outsider a terrific job. Next step is either QB coach (hard to see that) or OC.

I hope he gets the OC chance here. I think he may have a tough time getting an HC job without having served as a coordinator, but hey, there's always the Raiders.

Gulp.

hoosier
10-30-2013, 08:10 AM
Studs
Mike Daniels This kid is unreal. Great leverage, quick, strong, real violent with his hands. A 3 tech playing in a 3-4, he's a force out there. Got doubled last week and this week, the ultimate compliment for a DLineman.

Daniels is doing what Cullen Jenkins did in 2010, collapsing the pocket and creating opportunities for guys like Lattimore and Hawk.

KYPack
10-30-2013, 08:42 AM
Daniels is doing what Cullen Jenkins did in 2010, collapsing the pocket and creating opportunities for guys like Lattimore and Hawk.

You got it, Hoosier.

This kid is developing a bag of tricks that can't be stopped. He is both strong and quick. Gets great power with his legs and has fast, strong hands. He gets on guards quickly and then makes an explosive, violent move with his hands. Solid bull rush and he has learned that one arm is longer than two. when he gets that advantage, bang ,he's right in the backfield creating havoc. He destroyed the Viking guard early in the game. I saw the guy on the ground, shaking his head.

The next series, they doubled Mike and he split 'em. he's a 5 year vet in his second season.

He's a human tool for Dom who now can blitz that other A gap and there ain't nothin' the offense can do.

Fritz
10-30-2013, 01:29 PM
And he was a fourth round pick. Damn.

First time I've heard someone called "a human tool" as a compliment.

He's a fire plug, a spark plug, and a butt plug, all rolled into one.