PDA

View Full Version : PACK SOON TO BE YOUNGEST NFL TEAM ??

Bretsky
08-25-2006, 11:29 PM
Packers prepare to unleash young lions
A dozen rookies could make the team

By TOM SILVERSTEIN
tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Aug. 25, 2006

As the Green Bay Packers approach the final week of the exhibition season and continue work on finalizing their 53-man roster, one thing is clear:

Linebacker A.J. Hawk is the only Packers rookie expected to start on defense.

They're going to be a young football team.

With the first cut scheduled for Tuesday, as many as 11 of the team's 12 draft choices plus at least four rookie free agents are still contending for roster spots. Considering the team carried 13 rookies and first-year players on its opening day roster last year, it's possible nearly half the team will be made up of players with no more than one year of National Football League experience.

When general manager Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy make their final decisions a week from today, they'll be asking themselves how many rookies they can keep this year without compromising their chance of being a winning team.

"You try to make the best decision you can for the football team," Thompson said. "There's always a tradeoff with rookies. If they're the better players and better athletes, then that's a plus. They'll probably make more mistakes than a veteran, but we have to be honest: Veterans don't always play perfect games."

Though Thompson refuses to label the Packers a rebuilding team, there's no question that in the two years he has been general manager they have loaded up on draft picks (23 total) and tried to replace departed veterans with young talent rather than free agents.

With the 2006 class, seven of the 12 draft picks are locks to make the team and several others are making strong bids. Throw in undrafted free agents like running back Arliss Beach, end Jason Hunter, safety Tra Boger and tackle Josh Bourke, all of whom have legitimate shots, and the Packers could have a dozen rookies on the squad on opening day.

That doesn't even include first-year players (non-rookies with little or no NFL experience) such as receiver Ruvell Martin, punter Jon Ryan and tight end Tory Humphrey, who also have decent shots at making the team.

It all means that McCarthy could be coaching one of the youngest teams in the NFL this year.

"My outlook is, I think youth, I think injuries, I think all that is an excuse," McCarthy said. "It may be an unrealistic approach, but that's the approach I'm taking. I think in this business you're dealt a hand of cards. It's our job to get it done with that hand of cards."

It's certainly not ideal for a first-year coaching staff hoping to establish itself as a winner to go into a season with so many rookies. On offense, both guards and a starting wide receiver could be rookies and that could slow the pace for the entire unit.

On defense, the only rookie expected to start is first-round pick A.J. Hawk, who in the opinion of many experts was ready as any other draft choice to play in the NFL. The vulnerability will be with the backups, where rookies might be forced into action at key positions because of injury.

Joemailman
08-25-2006, 11:42 PM
Rd Sel# Player Pos. School
1 20 Javon Walker WR Florida State
3 92 Marques Anderson FS UCLA
4 135 Najeh Davenport RB Miami
5 156 Aaron Kampman DE Iowa
5 164 Craig Nall QB Northwestern State, La.
6 200 Mike Houghton T San Diego State

1 29 Nick Barnett MLB Oregon State
3 79 Kenny Peterson DE Ohio State
5 147 James Lee NT Oregon State
5 166 Hunter Hillenmeyer OLB Vanderbilt
6 212 Brennan Curtin T Notre Dame
7 245 Chris Johnson CB Louisville
7 253 DeAndrew Rubin WR South Florida
7 256 Carl Ford WR Toledo
7 257 Steve Josue LB Carson-Newman

1 25 Ahmad Carroll CB Arkansas
3 70 Joey Thomas CB Montana State
3 72 Donnell Washington DT Clemson
3 87 B.J. Sander P Ohio State
6 179 Corey Williams DT Arkansas State
7 251 Scott Wells G Tennessee

When you have 3 drafts like the Packers had from 2002-2004, it is inevitable that you will need to do what Thompson is doing now. It is entirely possible that only 4 players (Kampman, Barnett, Carroll and Wells) from those drafts will make this year's roster. Incredible.

Bretsky
08-25-2006, 11:47 PM
DEPRESSING;

DAM I sure wish we still had Javon Walker. Who did we get for him again ?
Thought it was College, Blackmond, and Jolly or some late rounder.

the_idle_threat
08-26-2006, 05:48 AM
The article says TE Tory Humphrey has a "decent shot" at making the team. I was not aware of this. Who is he potentially beating out ... David Martin?

pkrjones
08-26-2006, 07:51 AM
The article says TE Tory Humphrey has a "decent shot" at making the team. I was not aware of this. Who is he potentially beating out ... David Martin?He's been at fullback for the past 4 days - not sure how well he's doing, but he's still there at last glance. I could see the Packers keeping 4 HB's, 4 or 5 TE's and Hendo.
http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2006/08/24/2/

BallHawk
08-26-2006, 07:53 AM
DEPRESSING;

DAM I sure wish we still had Javon Walker. Who did we get for him again ?
Thought it was College, Blackmond, and Jolly or some late rounder.

You can't really look at it as what draft picks you got exactly. Would we of drafted Jennings if we didn't trade Walker? Don't know.

red
08-26-2006, 08:50 AM
The article says TE Tory Humphrey has a "decent shot" at making the team. I was not aware of this. Who is he potentially beating out ... David Martin?

i would guess if he makes the team at TE it would be for david martin. the guys looked horrible

KYPack
08-26-2006, 09:03 AM
I'm really looking to see if TT keeps Cory Rogers. here is no way that kid should play on an NFL team. If he is kept, it's Thompson's ego trying to justify a 4th rnd flop.

It does look like a steller draft. Culver alone is a great sleeper pick.

We need somebody to run back punts, now that Rogers has proven unreliable.

falco
08-26-2006, 09:20 AM
I'm really looking to see if TT keeps Cory Rogers. here is no way that kid should play on an NFL team. If he is kept, it's Thompson's ego trying to justify a 4th rnd flop.

It does look like a steller draft. Culver alone is a great sleeper pick.

We need somebody to run back punts, now that Rogers has proven unreliable.

I think they're looking at Brewster possibly.

Fritz
08-26-2006, 11:12 AM
Yup, when you look at Shermy's three drafts (four starters, four backups) it's easy to see why GB will be the league's youngest team. Those three drafts - guys in their third, fourth, and fifth years - should have yielded the nucleus of the team. Instead, the Pack has Barnett and Kampman on defense, and Wells at center, and might have had Walker at receiver had he not gotten hurt (might). Not enough of a crop to form a Super Bowl contender.

BallHawk
08-26-2006, 02:18 PM
We put the "Green" in Green Bay.