PDA

View Full Version : Love This Team

HarveyWallbangers
10-30-2013, 12:20 PM
I love the balance, the toughness, and the resiliency. I have similar feelings for this team that I had for the 2010 team towards the end of that year. Right now, they are under the radar, but a good run against a soft schedule and the return of some healthy stars could lead to this team having the "it team" vibe heading into the playoffs. I think there are chinks in Seattle's armor--especially if they lose out on home field advantage. New Orleans is playing legit defense, so they are scary. I think GB vs SF would be a tossup.

Just need to get and stay healthy.

Cheesehead Craig
10-30-2013, 12:55 PM
Gotta make some hay with the coming schedule and get some wins. But agree with you. It isn't just on ARod with a legendary season to make this happen, a la 2011. The running game and stable, productive DL give this team a much better and more dangerous feel than teams of years past.

CaptainKickass
10-30-2013, 01:21 PM
Leading up to the playoffs in 2010, I had a strong gut feeling that felt like facing the Bears at their place for the NFC Championship was just how it was going to play out. In some ways, going into Soldier Field, on their home field and winning the right to play in the Superbowl by taking home the trophy with their historical namesake was almost as good as winning the Superbowl. It remains a bragging right with the sweetest of tones especially when confronted with a Bears fan. All one has to say to rebut any sort of hazing about being a Green Bay fan is:

"Halas Trophy Soldier Field NFC Championship"

In a similar fashion, while any scenario may play out - I have a gut feeling that the way to get to the big game this season has the Pack meeting Seattle on their field. Possibly even for the NFC Championship. There's a lot of commentary about how afraid fans are of going there for a playoff game and understandably so, but even though that's the prevailing fan sentiment, I just feel like that is the path that things will take should the Packers make it that far.

We shall see.

But I do firmly believe we have the proverbial "horses" (talent) on all 3 phases of this team to beat any team anywhere. Particularly if the D keeps up it's awesomeness. We won 2010 because we had a damn good D to compliment the rest of the team. Defense wins championships.

MadScientist
10-30-2013, 03:38 PM
This defense is better than the last 2 years, but I'm not ready to proclaim them as good as 2010. They haven't shut down a good offensive team yet. This 4 game win streak has been against two teams with QB's who couldn't hit a completely wide open receiver, a Megatron-less Detroit and the floundering Ravens. Without Clay, the pass rush rarely does anything without a blitz. Bottom line - good defense will look good against a shit offense, but so will an average defense. We don't know enough to tell what the Packers have yet.

channtheman
10-30-2013, 04:27 PM
This defense is better than the last 2 years, but I'm not ready to proclaim them as good as 2010. They haven't shut down a good offensive team yet. This 4 game win streak has been against two teams with QB's who couldn't hit a completely wide open receiver, a Megatron-less Detroit and the floundering Ravens. Without Clay, the pass rush rarely does anything without a blitz. Bottom line - good defense will look good against a shit offense, but so will an average defense. We don't know enough to tell what the Packers have yet.

Good point. The Browns QB missed tons of wide open receivers that would have sustained multiple drives.

channtheman
10-30-2013, 04:28 PM
But I do firmly believe we have the proverbial "horses" (talent) on all 3 phases of this team to beat any team anywhere. Particularly if the D keeps up it's awesomeness. We won 2010 because we had a damn good D to compliment the rest of the team. Defense wins championships.

Very true. During the Super Bowl run our defense kicked ass and sealed 3 of the 4 games, and broke open the other with huge interceptions. And we could finally run the ball during that time as well. Running the ball and defense, it really is just that simple.

CaptainKickass
10-30-2013, 04:32 PM

That's just it, they don't need to be as good as 2010. (If they can - awesome!) Just maintain the pace they are on now and show a little improvement over the rest of the season.

As the team gets snaps for the rookies and gets injured players back, the team could potentially be in fantastic shape to get "hot" for a stretch run.

I got my fingers crossed, and am tossing some salt over my shoulder too.

KYPack
10-30-2013, 08:44 PM
Me, too.

There is a 2010 feel to our defense. That year, we got hot on D when Cullen Jenkins came back and totally solidified the front line.

This years team is just as stout up front. Mike Daniels and Johnny Jolly are our "Cullen Jenkin clones". One is cat quick, the other strong like bull. Add Mike Neal's presence as a LB roving between the backer spot and the front line, we are a load up front.

Micah Hyde has also emerged, if we get a few more guys to get it together in the back, we can be as strong as anybody in the NFL on D.

I would have never typed that shit in August, but like many on here, I'm stating to feel it now.

Joemailman
10-30-2013, 08:55 PM
Me, too.

There is a 2010 feel to our defense. That year, we got hot on D when Cullen Jenkins came back and totally solidified the front line.

This years team is just as stout up front. Mike Daniels and Johnny Jolly are our "Cullen Jenkin clones". One is cat quick, the other strong like bull. Add Mike Neal's presence as a LB roving between the backer spot and the front line, we are a load up front.

Micah Hyde has also emerged, if we get a few more guys to get it together in the back, we can be as strong as anybody in the NFL on D.

I would have never typed that shit in August, but like many on here, I'm stating to feel it now.

There's one huge difference between the 2010 defense and the 2013 defense. The 2010 D had 24 INT's. 2013 is on a pace for 7. The 2010 D closed out close games with INT's - Last game of season vs. Bears, playoff game vs. Philly, NFC Title game, and turned games around with INT's returned for TD's - playoff game vs. Atlanta, NFC Title Game, Super Bowl. I think they have the personnel to be a ball-hawking defense, but they haven't shown it yet.

HarveyWallbangers
10-30-2013, 09:04 PM
There's one huge difference between the 2010 defense and the 2013 defense. The 2010 D had 24 INT's. 2013 is on a pace for 7. The 2010 D closed out close games with INT's - Last game of season vs. Bears, playoff game vs. Philly, NFC Title game, and turned games around with INT's returned for TD's - playoff game vs. Atlanta, NFC Title Game, Super Bowl. I think they have the personnel to be a ball-hawking defense, but they haven't shown it yet.

To be fair, at this point in the 2010 season the defense wasn't looking that great. The Packers had just beat Minnesota to go to 4-3, and the defense wasn't playing that well. You could see potential though. The defense shut out the Jets on the road in week 8, and the defense was pretty dominant from that point on.

KYPack
10-30-2013, 09:26 PM

You know it, Joe.

The back line has to come on if we want to hit the top.

'10 had stars back there. Wood and Nick Collins were a sure fire HOFer and a guy who would have made it except for that cruel injury.

I like these kids we've got. Hyde is really getting in the swing of things and Burnett is coming back, maybe we can patch together a solid back line and put things in place to do it

HarveyWallbangers
10-30-2013, 09:29 PM
Our DBs were better in 2010, but I like this year's front seven more.

Harlan Huckleby
10-30-2013, 11:20 PM
The team has had good health on both the offensive and defensive lines. Both are playing solid. That's kinda unusual for the Packers, and makes the games fun to watch.

That said, I find this thread disturbing. It's unmanly and boring. In fact, I would apply those adjectives directly to the thread author. Show a little spirit - find fault somewhere and mix it up.

Zool
10-31-2013, 09:15 AM
The team has had good health on both the offensive and defensive lines. Both are playing solid. That's kinda unusual for the Packers, and makes the games fun to watch.

That said, I find this thread disturbing. It's unmanly and boring. In fact, I would apply those adjectives directly to the thread author. Show a little spirit - find fault somewhere and mix it up.

Odd that you suggest acting like a bitch is the opposite of unmanly.

MadtownPacker
10-31-2013, 09:52 AM
Our DBs were better in 2010, but I like this year's front seven more.
This is what makes me think Packers can go heads up with anyone. They aren't getting pushed around anymore. Wist wasn't wrong when he said the D needed to toughen up. But he should come on here and admit that they finally have.

MadtownPacker
10-31-2013, 09:56 AM
That said, I find this thread disturbing. It's unmanly and boring. In fact, I would apply those adjectives directly to the thread author. Show a little spirit - find fault somewhere and mix it up.I hate to say it but you're on to something. The title just seems wrong for a dirty biker like HW.

Freak Out
10-31-2013, 11:32 AM
Wist fried his old computer when he tried to sign up for health care.

Fritz
10-31-2013, 11:49 AM
Wist...I wonder what happened there. I don't wanna be mean, in case he's in a hospital with a bad ticker. But it'd be nice to see him back and admit that while he was right the team needed to toughen up, he was wrong in his repeated assertion that neither McCarthy nor Thompson really wanted a tough team - they wanted a soft, finesse team.

That was the part that bugged me.

Bossman641
10-31-2013, 12:20 PM
Wist...I wonder what happened there. I don't wanna be mean, in case he's in a hospital with a bad ticker. But it'd be nice to see him back and admit that while he was right the team needed to toughen up, he was wrong in his repeated assertion that neither McCarthy nor Thompson really wanted a tough team - they wanted a soft, finesse team.

That was the part that bugged me.

He made an appearance in a thread the other day but I don't think he said much. I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he just has been having some health issues. Hopefully he starts feeling better and can come post his mean culpa over TT/MM wanti...no DESIRING the softest team possible

Tony Oday
10-31-2013, 01:46 PM
It seems like they are protecting AR better as well. I know they are on pace to get him sacked another 50 times this year but it doesn't seem like AR is getting smoked on the sacks just being taken down if that makes sense. Watching Starks and Lacy hit people is awesome! Hawk coming into his own is damn near transformational which is making me think that Dom and Greene have made him less of a playmaker and more as a dont screw up guy when there was more talent around him and now its "CRY HAVOC AND LET SLIP THE DOGS OF WAR!"

The coaching staff except for Slocum is AWESOME. Bennett getting White and Boykin ready to play is astounding, think about that folks it is amazing what he has done.

hoosier
10-31-2013, 02:28 PM
It seems like they are protecting AR better as well. I know they are on pace to get him sacked another 50 times this year but it doesn't seem like AR is getting smoked on the sacks just being taken down if that makes sense. Watching Starks and Lacy hit people is awesome! Hawk coming into his own is damn near transformational which is making me think that Dom and Greene have made him less of a playmaker and more as a dont screw up guy when there was more talent around him and now its "CRY HAVOC AND LET SLIP THE DOGS OF WAR!"

The coaching staff except for Slocum is AWESOME. Bennett getting White and Boykin ready to play is astounding, think about that folks it is amazing what he has done.

The current pace would result in Rodgers getting sacked 39 times, not 50. Sack percentage is down about 2% (from 8+ to 6+). Footballoutsiders has the OL ranked average in pass protection but tops in run blocking. Some of that bump may of course be due to Lacy and Starks's success when he's been healthy. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/OL

Tony Oday
10-31-2013, 02:42 PM
He has been sacked 23 times it says on ESPN so 23/7=3.286; 3.286*16=52.571 sacks.

Regardless I think they are doing much better and I like that...give AR a run game and time in the pocket against single high saftey there shouldnt be a team that can touch us!

hoosier
10-31-2013, 03:09 PM
I don't know where you are finding 23. http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/passingYards/year/2013/seasontype/2

Tony Oday
10-31-2013, 03:15 PM
Well I see what I did...I went to the last number on the sack list and that was OPPONENTS!! oops Well then good I thought they were protecting better and the stats say it and its not just competing with the voices in my head...

Pugger
10-31-2013, 04:15 PM
What is truly exciting is how we are gonna look when we get our walking wounded back in the coming weeks. 8-)

Freak Out
10-31-2013, 06:41 PM
LETS GOOOOOO!!!!!!

Freak Out
10-31-2013, 06:43 PM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQiDC5MmKKBkBJurfLPg3Y8uYQgcESnc urnz7fITUF-F4OPtL_4JQ

Fritz
11-03-2013, 10:23 AM
I hope that with experience, all of them will get better - the guards with their new positions, I hope that becomes more natural-feeling to them, and the tackles - well, they are young and hopefully will improve with experience, though I don't think Barclay's ceiling is very high. Probably about as high as one of those basement ceilings from the 1940's.

Pugger
11-03-2013, 10:26 AM
It will also be good when we put some of the young kids now starting out of necessity back on ST.

RashanGary
11-03-2013, 08:20 PM
im with ya, harvey. The d needs to come together a little, especially when clay gets back, the wrs need to get healthy. We have a chance.

Freak Out
11-03-2013, 08:57 PM
Hey JH. Long time no see.

HarveyWallbangers
11-03-2013, 09:17 PM
im with ya, harvey. The d needs to come together a little, especially when clay gets back, the wrs need to get healthy. We have a chance.

Glad to see you back.

RashanGary
11-04-2013, 12:36 AM
glad to see u guys too. . . lotsa life change

George Cumby
11-04-2013, 01:17 AM
glad to see u guys too. . . lotsa life change

Hope all is well.

gbgary
11-04-2013, 07:32 PM
yup...this squad is special. the running, the d, the o line, the next-man-up attitude...coaching. they're getting on a roll and by the stretch run they'll be healthier and hitting on all cylinders for the playoffs.

red
11-04-2013, 11:34 PM
hate this team

pathetic all around effort tonight, except for lacy and starks

Joemailman
11-04-2013, 11:36 PM
We have all day tomorrow to figure out how to blame this on Slocum.

Freak Out
11-04-2013, 11:38 PM
We have all day tomorrow to figure out how to blame this on Slocum.

Heads need to roll after the Rodgers injury...Slocums should be the first.

Joemailman
11-04-2013, 11:43 PM
I love the balance, the toughness, and the resiliency. I have similar feelings for this team that I had for the 2010 team towards the end of that year. Right now, they are under the radar, but a good run against a soft schedule and the return of some healthy stars could lead to this team having the "it team" vibe heading into the playoffs. I think there are chinks in Seattle's armor--especially if they lose out on home field advantage. New Orleans is playing legit defense, so they are scary. I think GB vs SF would be a tossup.

Just need to get and stay healthy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsTRxXvQY0s

hoosier
11-05-2013, 08:23 AM
I went to bed early last night but was awakened by a gigantic sucking sound. At first I thought it was Ross Perot but then I realized that it was the air going out of the Packers balloon. Half glass full: last time Rodgers missed a game due to injury the Packers won the SB.

denverYooper
11-05-2013, 08:35 AM
Well, at least we'll get a thorough accounting of the rest of the team should Rodgers miss extended time. :huh:

Fosco33
12-29-2013, 07:42 PM
I love this team... but fire slocum. wonder how much niner-packer tix will run?

gbgary
12-29-2013, 08:14 PM
the last time i posted in this thread it lead to a disaster so i'm not saying anything. wait...what?

woodbuck27
12-29-2013, 08:20 PM
the last time i posted in this thread it lead to a disaster so i'm not saying anything. wait...what?

Delete everything you wrote in your post at #43 above...soon...now ! :grin:

Then I'll delete everything in this post right after that action by you.

K!?

gbgary
12-29-2013, 09:01 PM
:D

too late.

woodbuck27
12-29-2013, 09:08 PM
:D

too late.

You only posted 6 minutes before my post #44 or 54 minutes ago.

You can't blank out post #43 ? You don't have the edit function of that post available to you?

denverYooper
12-29-2013, 09:19 PM
You guys need to get your shit together.